University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from them (applied to prelim medicine). Anyone know why they are on probation?

Members don't see this ad.

don't know unfortunately-- but would LOVE to know...

Sometimes programs go on probation if their chairman in in flux-- could this be the problem?

thanks!

The main reason behind the probation was work hours violations. We were having difficulty at some sites meeting the 24+6 requirement and the residents were staying too long for the ACGME. Since that review the program has made substantial changes and is overall mostly in compliance.
There were a few other things but I believe the work hours violations were the biggest problem. We are hopeful that at the review in November the ACGME will see the changes that have been made were successful and remove the probation.
FWIW - the program director has been here many years and is not going anywhere and programs do NOT go on probabtion when PDs change.
The UW IM program remains an excellent program with dedicated and top notch attendings that provides a wide array of pathology as well as a high degree of autonomy and overall excellent training.
Happy to answer any questions about the program here....

JB - UW PGY-3, Categorical IM

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply JB. I received the message via ERAS and was wondering what the problem was, though I figured that it probably had to do with residency work hours.

UW is an outstanding program; could you comment on what might be the standard competitive applicant, as far as board scores, publications, etc go. While I realize that you can't speak for the program itself, maybe you could offer an opinion of those that were offered interviews in the past.

I have applied to UW, but I'm not sure how competitive I might be, and don't want any false hopes, you know?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Axon

First off there is no "standard competitive applicant" that being said, i would say that on average, people are above the mean for Step 1 (over 215), many if not most were AOA, and generally came from well respected medical schools (top 25 ish). Although there are exceptions that can be made for exceptional people i.e. those with interesting life experiences in or outside of medicine...
Things that matter a lot are one's willingness/ties to the region as many applicants apply to only 'top 10' programs with no real intention of relocating from the East coast to the West coast and most of these people need to be weeded out of the group somehow in adddition the standard scores/grades/recs/med school quality (though not in that order....) and of course the personal interactions of the interview experience.
Overall I would say that applicants should spend time with various housestaff and ask questions about the things that concern you and use the old bull**** detector vigorously the key is to see if you feel like you can relate and work with the people that you meet in any particular place.
There were definitely places were straight off I knew that those residents and I were on different pages of life in regards to a variety of things thus indicating that I may choose another institution.

Thanks for that pertinent information. I'm from a smaller medical school in Georgia, which is in the Top 25 for Primary Care, but not ranked in the main list. I had a feeling that most top programs spend a great deal of time weeding out people who are just fishing the top 10 for interviews, especially those on the East Coast, aside from all the screening criteria. For me, grades are above average; Board scores are 230's and 240's for Step I and Step II, respectively. Not AOA. Thus, maybe on the off chance I'll get an interview, but otherwise I really don't think I'll get lucky.

But, My fingers are crossed that I'll get a chance to come out there.

FWIW - your chances are likely significantly better interviewing for the two primary care tracks compared to the categorical tracks. There is no major difference in training except outpatient clinic versus inpatient consults in terms of the uses of one's elective time (no difference in the required rotations and inpatient on-service care) and many people from the primary care tracks do successfully match in various competitive subspecialties.
So, if your focus is to do general interal medicince primary care, that is something to make clear in your application.