"What are my chances?" Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure that everyone has noticed the proliferation of "What are my chances?" threads here in Pre-Allo. It's understandable that people are asking themselves this question in the wake of the recent score release.

HOWEVER.

That does NOT mean that pre-allo needs/can handle 30+ threads asking the same thing. So let me clear up a couple of things:

1. Read the MSAR!! It has so much data on each school's acceptance numbers, whether they take the most recent MCAT or combine/average/cherry pick scores that it's a crime not to look there. The information there will, for the most part, be MUCH more accurate than the anecdotal evidence from your peers here on SDN.

2. If you scored a 30 or greater, no matter what the combo, don't post questions which ask if you have a chance at med school. You have an excellent score for 95% of med schools and thus are way ahead of the game. Go ahead and apply. Or don't, and re-take. Because no one here can tell you what your chances are without looking at your application in toto.

3. If you scored 25 or lower: This is the inflection point for the MCAT total score graph (MSAR 2005-2006, p. 27), where numbers of accepted applicants begins a solid, upward trend.

However, please note that of the ~2200 applicants with this score in last year's app cycle, only ~750 made it. The other 1500+ failed to get in. AND it gets much uglier as you go each point lower than 25.

It's probably best to re-take the MCAT and/or delay your application if you haven't submitted yet. This score is well below the scores historically necessary for acceptance to medical school. Yes, there may be that rare exception who makes it, but face it: schools can only take a handful of these exceptional cases. You are not a unique and beautiful snowflake in this regard. TRUST me on this one.

4. For those of you with 26-29: You are solidly in the range for acceptance to med school. If you have a good gpa (3.45+) in both overall and BPCM then you are good to go. Apply, stop whining, and see what happens. IF you fail to gain an acceptance, then contact the schools and ask for a (probably painful) assessment of what your application was lacking.

5. If for some reason you have a low gpa, then you WILL need an outstanding MCAT score. At least in the 88th percentile for that administration (usually ~31+). The higher the better. AND you'll likely need to do either a post-bacc or a Master's degree to show adcoms you can hack med school. And if you have a low MCAT then you'll need an outstanding GPA to compensate for it.

Finally, I'm not trying to lay down the Iron Fist of Doom, people. What I AM trying to do is to get y'all to do the research and assessment on your own, and then make an informed decision with regard to YOUR OWN PARTICULAR SITUATION. You want to be a physician someday? Learn to think, assess, and plan now.

Peace and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
that was hot....

i admire your work....

late,
-A

Members don't see this ad :)
:clap: Go, Evo!!

I'm afraid I just put the smackdown on someone in the MCAT forum whining about a 36, so I'm glad to see you post this. Now if they will just read it. :rolleyes:

That's an awsome summary.

ps I'll send you more pictures later ;)

Hey EvoDevo, I was wondering where you got the statistics about 2200 people applying and 750 being accepted with a score of 25 last year. Are there stats for every score telling how many applied vs. how many were accepted?

In complete seriousness i hope somebody guides me through this. I took MCAT the first time when i was a sophmore in 03 and made a 18 without any prep course or sample test. I just studies my college books. Than in agust 04 i decided to retake it with the help of kaplan. i got the results yesterday and i made a 16 :mad: . This is not only very depressing but very wierd. You would atleast expect an increase of one damn point. But it didnt. I know i can make a 35 ( dont laught ) i do i work very hard. Its just when i study for MCAT i dont have a proper way to organise things. I jump from one thing to another. i keep forgetting what i read yesterday. even if i write it down. i might remember glimpse of it. I was making good points on the kaplan sample test. my highest was a 26. vr10, ps8, bs8. so i was expecting a 24 or a 25. but a damn 16 blew me off. and i am pretty much sure they didnt screw up my grades so i am not gonna persue that. but ill really appreciated if any of you know someone who had a same situation and if you could guide me.

Thanks for your time and patience :confused: ,

Rocky

coharahawk said:
Hey EvoDevo, I was wondering where you got the statistics about 2200 people applying and 750 being accepted with a score of 25 last year. Are there stats for every score telling how many applied vs. how many were accepted?
Page 27, MSAR.

Ok, i feel stupid. but what is the MSAR? and how do I get a copy of it?

vegangirl said:
Ok, i feel stupid. but what is the MSAR? and how do I get a copy of it?

MSAR = Medical School Admission Requirements

Buy it from AAMC for $25

Or Amazon for $25

Thanks, Evo. Good job. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Evo, it was really getting pretty ridiculous in here :laugh:

Finally some iron fist and less velvet glove.

Medikit said:
Evo, you are an excellent person

Thank you SO much, Evo! :thumbup:

You are not a unique and beautiful snowflake in this regard. TRUST me on this one

:( You mean my Mommy lied to me? :confused:

I'm sorry, that last line just struck me as funny :p. And yes, I am leaving now. :oops:

But I made a 3----oops, I'm not suppose to talk... lol.. Good luck everyone.

scott

That test is such luck. It can go either way. Imagine if you mis-bubbled a section and tanked it with a 4-5

This may be a stupid question...but what do you consider a "poor GPA" (the GPA that requires a master's, etc.) ?

Great post btw.

sleepyincal said:
This may be a stupid question...but what do you consider a "poor GPA" (the GPA that requires a master's, etc.) ?

Great post btw.
Maybe around a 3.4, depending on your other numbers. Anything below a 3.0 is quite grim, but if you have a 3.2 and a 28, then that's not very competitive, but if you have a 3.2 and a 34, you may be fair game. I wish I had the MSAR handy. :(

I know what you mean about a 3.2 and 34 being fair game. My friend had a 3.2 and a 37N on his MCAT. I know a couple other people that way too.

But 3.2 is only poor if you go the MD route. 3.2 is competitive for some DO schools.

Bump--because the "what are my chances" threads have a way of proliferating just when you're not looking...kind of like white hairs...

I know I ask myself the "what re my chances" question all the time. But I seriously dont think we need a lot of threads on this. THANKS for the sticky. Glad I wasnt th eonly one getting tired of those threads :D

that evo will fall down on the ground worshiping the ground I walk on...
:D

roja said:
that evo will fall down on the ground worshiping the ground I walk on...
:D
100%!!

:love:

Too bad you're already taken. :thumbdown: If you're ever not.... :idea:

To the above poster re: poor GPA...I have seen on here several times this and think maybe it is on target...Below a 3.5 is a liability and above a 3.5 is an asset.

EvoDevo said:
You want to be a physician someday? Learn to think, assess, and plan now.

Excellent job Marine. You motivate me! :thumbup:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Excellent job Marine. You motivate me! :thumbup:
Just tellin' the Truth, my man. Neither the Corps nor medicine ever promised any of us a rose garden. :smuggrin:

poster10.jpg

Yeah all this talk about low GPA's but what about a 2.4 in engineering undergrad. and a 3.6 in engineering Grad. School.
I bet that combo is not referenced in the MSAR. Now what are the chances?? Based on an avg. MCAT score of 30 ?

Dr. Speed said:
Yeah all this talk about low GPA's but what about a 2.4 in engineering undergrad. and a 3.6 in engineering Grad. School.
I bet that combo is not referenced in the MSAR. Now what are the chances?? Based on an avg. MCAT score of 30 ?

A strong grad GPA is great but there are many schools that screen based on undergrad GPA only. I think bringing up that 2.4 to somewhere in the vicinity of 3.0 would be a wise decision. I had a 3.4 undergrad and 3.8 grad and I'm doing fairly well with interviews but I'm still getting turned away by many due to my below 3.5 GPA.

a 2.4 and a 30 isnt going to get you in. You'll definitely want to do a post bacc. No amount of grad work will get you pas that 2.4. I did two masters myself. No amount of grad work will make up for a very low GPA since its too hard to judge how hard grad courses are (they can be super hard or super easy).

I agree with the above 2 posters re: the 2.4, for what its worth. Some post-bacc work I think is necessary but once that's done, with the rest of your credentials you should be set. If you don't want to go through that, DO schools would be a great option, although I'm not sure if a 2.4 will make the cut there. Good luck...you can make it happen :)

Dr. Speed said:

I have the opposite problem. I took 4 grad. course and received an F on all of them due to late withdraw (1 day late). I have a good reason but somehow I don't think it will matter. :(

You guys suppose my only option at this point is to retake those courses and maybe a D.O program next cycle? :confused:

ps: Marine reservist who got activated.

hey, a "what are my chances thread." Could you tell me what mine are? ;)

that might be the best post ever made... except for the broken antenna

Rocky,
For God's sake go get some kind of a stimulant: Adderall, Concerta, whatever. Strattera even. It couldn't hurt and may well help.
And then try again!

rockycreator said:
In complete seriousness i hope somebody guides me through this. I took MCAT the first time when i was a sophmore in 03 and made a 18 without any prep course or sample test. I just studies my college books. Than in agust 04 i decided to retake it with the help of kaplan. i got the results yesterday and i made a 16 :mad: . This is not only very depressing but very wierd. You would atleast expect an increase of one damn point. But it didnt. I know i can make a 35 ( dont laught ) i do i work very hard. Its just when i study for MCAT i dont have a proper way to organise things. I jump from one thing to another. i keep forgetting what i read yesterday. even if i write it down. i might remember glimpse of it. I was making good points on the kaplan sample test. my highest was a 26. vr10, ps8, bs8. so i was expecting a 24 or a 25. but a damn 16 blew me off. and i am pretty much sure they didnt screw up my grades so i am not gonna persue that. but ill really appreciated if any of you know someone who had a same situation and if you could guide me.

Thanks for your time and patience :confused: ,

Rocky

Hmm amazing how one post has boosted my motivation to a new level! THANKS!!! Much <3

With the discussion about GPA I thought this might be an appropriate questions: What do people think about adcoms taking into consideration schools who use a +/- grading system v. schools using straight letter grades?

Freakin' Marines, think they can run everything...

*Edited by EvoDevo**

This thread isn't for specific enquiries regarding their personal stories. Please feel free to post a thread within the pre-allo forum. Also, creation of duplicate threads across forums (pre-allo, pre-osteo, etc) is not allowed.

Good luck. :)

Hey, can you get someone to post something like this in the preosteo forum? The DOs are also in need of your magnificent wisdom!

:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.