Rankings of D.O. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliMD

CaliDoc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was looking for the rankings of DO schools online, but can't find any. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the "unofficial" rankings of all 22 schools. Which would you say is #1 and why? What are the rankings based on?

Any input is appreciated. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

CaliMD said:
Hey y'all,

I was looking for the rankings of DO schools online, but can't find any. I was just wondering if anyone knew about the "unofficial" rankings of all 22 schools. Which would you say is #1 and why? What are the rankings based on?

There are no rankings among DO schools. If there was such a thing it's just based on one's preference and opinions. Most people on here will tell you that their school or the school that accept is #1.

I'll start. WVSOM is #1 because they accepted me into their Fall 2006 entering class. :) :D

US News are some that people refer to, but those "rankings" are heavily influenced by certain factors and end up being pretty worthless.
The research side is essentially a sort by how much the school has in NIH grants and the primary care side is by the percentage of the class entering primary care fields.

Many people look at match lists, but these are very dependent on personal factors for each student, so that too can be highly variable. Plus there are some well-known schools with mediocre programs and some stellar programs that have no "name" associated. So they can be very difficult to read without lots of knowledge.

Research each school yourself and decide which you might want to attend based on location, finances, clinical sites, curriculum type, mission statement, etc. Then apply and interview to see if you like it...then choose. Find where you're happy!

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the best way to go about things.

subtle1epiphany said:
Research each school yourself and decide which you might want to attend based on location, finances, clinical sites, curriculum type, mission statement, etc. Then apply and interview to see if you like it...then choose. Find where you're happy!

Best of luck!

FutureDocDO said:
There are no rankings among DO schools. If there was such a thing it's just based on one's preference and opinions. Most people on here will tell you that their school or the school that accept is #1.

Go with this ranking system!

CaliMD said:
Hey y'all,

Well it is possible to rank schools, based on the criteria you want. For example, what is most important to you?

Competitiveness? You'll find the public/state schools rank the highest (both because they take mostly in-staters, and because they have the highest average GPA and MCATs, on average.)

Board Pass Rates? You'll find schools like AZCOM, TCOM, OSU-COM, and many others have extremly high board pass rates. I apologize for not knowing all of the schools that have an extremely perfect score---I'm sure y'all will let me know.

Residency Match Lists? I don't really know the match lists other than at my school, but it can be found online. You can look for schools that match at very competitive MD residencies in the specialty you desire.

Osteopathic Hospital Affilitation and/or local school-affiliated residencies? This is also most common with the public/state schools, but I'm sure there are private schools that have these too. The public/state schools will have the most residency opportunities in a given state, though.

Campus appearance? Do you prefer a brand new school that is clean, or is the old antique look appealing to you?

Friendlines/comrauderie of class......? This is something that you really need to find out first hand on your interview day.

Research? TCOM is the leader in research in osteopathic medicine, hands down. There are many other schools that have research---especially if they offer PhD programs, like OSU-COM.

The point is rankings will be different, based on your preferences. If you provide a list of the things most important to you, it would be possible to list the schools that most closely remember your preferences.

OSUdoc and others,

Thanks for the great advice. I am looking for a school that has a high board pass rate, a competitive residency match list, and good hands-on clinical opportunities at an on campus hospital preferably. Also, it is true that if the school has an on campus university hospital, its easier to get a residency there?

Thanks in advance.

OSUdoc08 said:
Well it is possible to rank schools, based on the criteria you want. For example, what is most important to you?

Competitiveness? You'll find the public/state schools rank the highest (both because they take mostly in-staters, and because they have the highest average GPA and MCATs, on average.)

Board Pass Rates? You'll find schools like AZCOM, TCOM, OSU-COM, and many others have extremly high board pass rates. I apologize for not knowing all of the schools that have an extremely perfect score---I'm sure y'all will let me know.

Residency Match Lists? I don't really know the match lists other than at my school, but it can be found online. You can look for schools that match at very competitive MD residencies in the specialty you desire.

Osteopathic Hospital Affilitation and/or local school-affiliated residencies? This is also most common with the public/state schools, but I'm sure there are private schools that have these too. The public/state schools will have the most residency opportunities in a given state, though.

Campus appearance? Do you prefer a brand new school that is clean, or is the old antique look appealing to you?

Friendlines/comrauderie of class......? This is something that you really need to find out first hand on your interview day.

Research? TCOM is the leader in research in osteopathic medicine, hands down. There are many other schools that have research---especially if they offer PhD programs, like OSU-COM.

The point is rankings will be different, based on your preferences. If you provide a list of the things most important to you, it would be possible to list the schools that most closely remember your preferences.

CaliMD said:
OSUdoc and others,

Thanks for the great advice. I am looking for a school that has a high board pass rate, a competitive residency match list, and good hands-on clinical opportunities at an on campus hospital preferably. Also, it is true that if the school has an on campus university hospital, its easier to get a residency there?

Thanks in advance.

probably, but does it matter? do you really want to do almost all of your clinicals at one hospital and then do a residency there as well? it's probably good for your education to experience different medical environments. if you're planning on doing an allopathic residency anyway, then it really doesn't matter.