Any input on my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will give you my quick bio:

- Undergraduate Psych Major, currently in a MS graduate clinical mental health counseling program
- field experience as a counselor for my MS program
- AACOM non-science GPA: 3.83
- AACOM science GPA: 3.31
- AACOM overall GPA: 3.62
- took the MCAT three times: 22P, 21Q, 21P (best scores are 7VR, 8BS, 8PS)
- lots of music/theater ECs
- LOR from a DO psychiatrist (since I want to be a DO psychiatrist)
- great other LORs (MD LOR included)
- shadowing/work experience in psychiatry, lots of ER volunteering

What are my chances at a school like PCOM (Philly) and LECOM-Erie??

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

MedicineMan99 said:
Hey guys,

- Undergraduate Psych Major, currently in a MS graduate clinical mental health counseling program

Thanks very much!

Apply to UNE-COM, AZCOM, KCOM

OSUdoc08 said:
Apply to UNE-COM, AZCOM, KCOM

Thanks for your reply.

I really want to go to PCOM, but will go to another school if I must.

If not accepted, I plan on earning my PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology and then reapplying.

I realize I am, at best, a less-than average candidate at PCOM, but does anyone think I at least have a reasonable shot?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
MedicineMan99 said:
Thanks for your reply.

I really want to go to PCOM, but will go to another school if I must.

If not accepted, I plan on earning my PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology and then reapplying.

I realize I am, at best, a less-than average candidate at PCOM, but does anyone think I at least have a reasonable shot?

Thanks!

Why not get a master's?

I can't say for PCOM (I don't know their profile very well), but I think you stand a good chance at getting admissions to LECOM-Erie. Your MCAT score is below their mean (it doesn't look as bad since it's an even spread), but the rest of your stats are impressive. To an extent, it will come down to the interview; if you nail that you better get your winter jacket ready = )

MedicineMan99 said:
Because I am already in grad school for a MS in counseling. I will have it before I enroll in med school.

Then why get another degree?

OSUdoc08 said:
Then why get another degree?

Basically because I love counseling/clinical psychology and would rather spend my time trying to get into medical school gaining clinical experience that I love (i.e. treating clients) while at the same time earning a doctoral degree to boost my DO application.

TAI786 said:
I can't say for PCOM (I don't know their profile very well), but I think you stand a good chance at getting admissions to LECOM-Erie. Your MCAT score is below their mean (it doesn't look as bad since it's an even spread), but the rest of your stats are impressive. To an extent, it will come down to the interview; if you nail that you better get your winter jacket ready = )

Thanks!

I actually LOVE snow. I grew up in Syracuse, NY and went to college in Rochester, NY (the 1st and 2nd snowiest cities in the country I have heard.) I am still hoping for PCOM but LECOM Erie is my second choice.

Hopefully my graduate program and being the lead in over 30 full scale musicals will give my application some uniqueness.

MedicineMan99 said:
Basically because I love counseling/clinical psychology and would rather spend my time trying to get into medical school gaining clinical experience that I love (i.e. treating clients) while at the same time earning a doctoral degree to boost my DO application.

Boosting your application isn't a good reason for getting a doctorate.

Your GPA is more than adequate to get in. Your problem is your MCAT.

You can get 50 more degrees, and it won't change your MCAT score.

You can get in if you apply to enough schools. If you choose not to, then you need to take the time off and improve your MCAT score.

OSUdoc08 said:
Boosting your application isn't a good reason for getting a doctorate.

Your GPA is more than adequate to get in. Your problem is your MCAT.

You can get 50 more degrees, and it won't change your MCAT score.

You can get in if you apply to enough schools. If you choose not to, then you need to take the time off and improve your MCAT score.

I called PCOM's admissions office and they told me that their average MCAT score of admitted students was an 8 in each section. My only problem is VR, where I have only a 7. I realize that my MCAT is low, but I am still optimistic.

And I think that if I had a PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology and thus had lots of clinical experiencing providing psychotherapy to clients, they would also take that into consideration. Sure, my MCAT score is not going to go away, but DO schools are more likely than MD schools to take other factors into consideration. Besides, my MCAT score is only 1 point in 1 section below the average of accepted students, according to PCOM's admissions office.

I think you need to re-evaluate how you are approaching the MCAT and re-take it. I know 4 times is a lot for any mortal to withstand but... your scores are very low and if you want to get in, which you obviously are persistent about, you need to get that MCAT up. Do whatever it take including taking off from work/school/life for a few weeks prior to do as many practice tests as humanly possible. You look like a strong applicant otherwise and for someone with that high GPA and some effort you should be able to conquer the MCAT.

MedicineMan99 said:
I called PCOM's admissions office and they told me that their average MCAT score of admitted students was an 8 in each section. My only problem is VR, where I have only a 7. I realize that my MCAT is low, but I am still optimistic.

And I think that if I had a PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology and thus had lots of clinical experiencing providing psychotherapy to clients, they would also take that into consideration. Sure, my MCAT score is not going to go away, but DO schools are more likely than MD schools to take other factors into consideration. Besides, my MCAT score is only 1 point in 1 section below the average of accepted students, according to PCOM's admissions office.

You said your scores were 22, 21, 21 but yet you say you had an 8 + 8 + 7 = 23 How is this possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:
You said your scores were 22, 21, 21 but yet you say you had an 8 + 8 + 7 = 23 How is this possible.

Sorry for the confusion.

I took the MCAT three times, with scores as follows:

1st: 6VR 8PS 8BS P
2nd: 6VR 8PS 7 PS Q
3rd: 7VR 7PS 8BS Q

So my highest scores are 7VR, 8PS, 8BS. I know probably no school will take the highest scores from each area like that, but I am hoping they will at least consider my highest score in each section.

MedicineMan99 said:

Getting a doctorate to make up for a 1-point deficit on the MCAT?

I think many of us can think of adjectives to describe this type of ideaology.
Why don't you study for the MCAT for a semester instead of spending 4 years getting another degree? Do you really want to waste 4 more years of your life for no reason?

Even if you do get the doctorate, you'll have to bring up the MCAT anyway.

If you apply to KCOM, AZCOM, UNE-COM and other schools like this, you'll likely get in anyway.

Nate said:

He didnt actually make a 23 on any one MCAT, but if he/she took the highest score from each section, from each time taken it would add up to a 23. Did I explain that properly?

Canuck99 said:
He didnt actually make a 23 on any one MCAT, but if he/she took the highest score from each section, from each time taken it would add up to a 23. Did I explain that properly?

Yes. Some schools would consider it a 23, actually.

Canuck99 said:

disregard. I was right, but a little late.

Well, if I were you I would conquer the MCAT and have my pick of the schools. I believe you can do it if you have the knowledge base, which you do judging from your GPA, and some hardcore effort. The MCAT just needs to be figured out like a puzzle and it takes work, flat out work. The knowledge is the easy part.

However, if you want to spend some money then go ahead and apply and see what happens. Aside from your MCAT I don't believe your application can get much stronger, it looks solid. There are people who get in with low MCAT, albeit not in most schools, and in rare circumstances, so if you want then try. However, in my opinion no amount of graduate school will change your very low MCAT score and besides, your GPA is very good. Good luck

Nate said:
Well, if I were you I would conquer the MCAT and have my pick of the schools. I believe you can do it if you have the knowledge base, which you do judging from your GPA, and some hardcore effort. The MCAT just needs to be figured out like a puzzle and it takes work, flat out work. The knowledge is the easy part.

However, if you want to spend some money then go ahead and apply and see what happens. Aside from your MCAT I don't believe your application can get much stronger, it looks solid. There are people who get in with low MCAT, albeit not in most schools, and in rare circumstances, so if you want then try. However, in my opinion no amount of graduate school will change your very low MCAT score and besides, your GPA is very good. Good luck

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I already have all my apps in and am hoping for the best this application cycle, especially for PCOM.

If I need to retake the MCAT, I am going to wait until the new computer format in a few years. I somehow feel that will allow me to do better on the MCAT.

MedicineMan99 said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I already have all my apps in and am hoping for the best this application cycle, especially for PCOM.

If I need to retake the MCAT, I am going to wait until the new computer format in a few years. I somehow feel that will allow me to do better on the MCAT.

Or you could get some tutoring in the area you are having problems with and not waste several years of your life.

OSUdoc08 said:
Getting a doctorate to make up for a 1-point deficit on the MCAT?

I think many of us can think of adjectives to describe this type of ideaology.
Why don't you study for the MCAT for a semester instead of spending 4 years getting another degree? Do you really want to waste 4 more years of your life for no reason?

Even if you do get the doctorate, you'll have to bring up the MCAT anyway.

If you apply to KCOM, AZCOM, UNE-COM and other schools like this, you'll likely get in anyway.

OSUDOC, why do you consistantly put down some schools while shouting from the high heavens why OSUCOM is so utterly amazing. I have heard you say that maybe one other school is ok as well. But then you trash on schools like KCOM, AZCOM, UNECOM. KCOM and specifically UNECOM are my top choices and are amazing schools. What do you have against these schools? Why not suggest the good parts of schools that you like and leave it at that without trashing on other schools? I really hope I never have to run into you cause you seem way too full of yourself and like you are in the medical profession for the completely wrong reason.

Medicineman, sorry for the diatribe there. Good luck with your application process and hope for the best. If I can help at all, let me know.

OSUdoc08 said:
Or you could get some tutoring in the area you are having problems with and not waste several years of your life.

I am sorry, but I do not consider getting a doctoral degree in a field I love to be a waste of time. I consider it to be a privilledge that most people do not have. Besides, having a PhD or a PsyD in clinical psychology will give me a tremendous advantage when dealing with patients.

There are many things I wish to do with my life, all centering upon patient care. For instance, I plan on becoming a Catholic priest at some point, I was planning on waiting until after my DO, however if I was a priest before I applied, I feel that would speak volumes about my devotion to spiritual health, a true osteopathic philosophy.

Just think about how much a DO who is also a priest could do for a patient. Even if the patient did not know that I was also a priest, it would give me an extraordinary advantage to treating their spiritual side.

So, no, I do not believe that a doctorate in either psychology or theology is a waste of time, but a gift to all my future patients.

MedicineMan99 said:
I am sorry, but I do not consider getting a doctoral degree in a field I love to be a waste of time. I consider it to be a privilledge that most people do not have. Besides, having a PhD or a PsyD in clinical psychology will give me a tremendous advantage when dealing with patients.

There are many things I wish to do with my life, all centering upon patient care. For instance, I plan on becoming a Catholic priest at some point, I was planning on waiting until after my DO, however if I was a priest before I applied, I feel that would speak volumes about my devotion to spiritual health, a true osteopathic philosophy.

Just think about how much a DO who is also a priest could do for a patient. Even if the patient did not know that I was also a priest, it would give me an extraordinary advantage to treating their spiritual side.

So, no, I do not believe that a doctorate in either psychology or theology is a waste of time, but a gift to all my future patients.

We all have our priorities.

I want to start practicing as a physician ASAP.

Dr. AT Still, who as you know, started Osteopathy, was a minister as was his father. It was actually common at the time in the US to practice both spiritual and physical healing. I just thought I would throw that fact out there. Follow your dreams and be happy, there is no time limit and it sounds like you are doing what you do for the right reasons. It still won't save you from having to re-take the MCAT, which was written by Satan himself I will have you know :p

MedicineMan99 said:

Medicine Man, let me know what you decided to do and how things turn out.

MedicineMan99 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks very much!

Just as a reference, from what I was told by my advisor, PCOM doesn't particularly like MD letters (she made me pull mine from my file)
If you say youre from NY, why not try NYCOM? Judging by their poor communication and procedure, theyve got everyone angry and they will probably be taking a lot of people later in the cycle. There is an advantage there in that they are taking so long to offer acceptances, that people are paying the deposit elsewhere, and leaving open spots.

notnarcsDO said:
Just as a reference, from what I was told by my advisor, PCOM doesn't particularly like MD letters (she made me pull mine from my file)
If you say youre from NY, why not try NYCOM? Judging by their poor communication and procedure, theyve got everyone angry and they will probably be taking a lot of people later in the cycle. There is an advantage there in that they are taking so long to offer acceptances, that people are paying the deposit elsewhere, and leaving open spots.

Poor communication/procedure is irrelevant here, the fact is NYCOM did not start interviewing until Novemeber, thats just their policy.