Scandal @ Emory: Honors Student Caught Spreading AIDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomuntilnoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=1319093671
http://www.newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=1630460139

Pardon my french, but this is pretty fcuked up. To be an honors student and commit such harmful acts, and all the while Emory does nothing to (e)rectify the situation... and here I thought my friend's sister sleeping with her Emory professor was scandalous enough.

I knew Emory was pretty fabricated/superficial/plasticized when I interviewed there; now I am so glad I decided against going to Emory... I just wonder how many students were exposed to his disease?

Members don't see this ad.

Unbelievably messed up. I really feel awful for the expelled student too - what's he going to do now?

Absolutely crazy. Drop the honor roll whistle-blower and keep the HIV+ felon. Great system Emory! We are all going to be doctors at one point in time or another. As responsible members of the medical community, I say we boycott this school. Let's take action and let them know we will NOT tolerate this kind of behaviour from the Emory Administration!!!

Equally disgusting is that a UK based organization lead to way the spill the beans. Utterly sickening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Emory for undergrad. The administration at this school is so terrible I didn't even consider applying here for medical school. I know the medical school is separate from the college of arts and sciences, but in the end, the administrators are likely to have the same mentality. This school cares about very little but their reputation and the flowers... If they keep stuff like this up, all they'll have is the flowers.

How reliable is this source? I ask because there are quite a few grammatical errors and you don't see that in the major newspapers.

boomuntilnoon said:
http://www.newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=1319093671
http://www.newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=1630460139

Pardon my french, but this is pretty fcuked up. To be an honors student and commit such harmful acts, and all the while Emory does nothing to (e)rectify the situation... and here I thought my friend's sister sleeping with her Emory professor was scandalous enough.

I knew Emory was pretty fabricated/superficial/plasticized when I interviewed there; now I am so glad I decided against going to Emory... I just wonder how many students were exposed to his disease?

The article indicates he was sleeping with men. You'd have to say it was partially their fault for participating in such acts without protection, or even in the first place.

wow, that is unbelievably sick! How can a reputable med school endorse such behavior? I think there was some blackmail involved. he was probably involved with someone on the board there. How disgusting.

is it me or are there quite a bit of grammatical errors in these articles.

The article indicates he was sleeping with men. You'd have to say it was partially their fault for participating in such acts without protection, or even in the first place.

Yes, but Georgia is one of 24 states that has a law saying that HIV+ people can't have sex, protected or unprotected, without first disclosing their status to the partner, which the med student did not do.

But are you saying if the med student did the same thing with women, it wouldn't be partially the women's fault?

Em1 said:
Yes, but Georgia is one of 24 states that has a law saying that HIV+ people can't have sex, protected or unprotected, without first disclosing their status to the partner, which the med student did not do.

But are you saying if the med student did the same thing with women, it wouldn't be partially the women's fault?

Not as much, since there is no law against that.

The victim was participating in an illegal act, unless there are no sodomy laws in Georgia.

If not, there should be.

As far as the HIV disclosure law:

What makes HIV so special? What about the other uncurable STD's?

Why should you have to announce that you have HPV which leads to cancer or Hep B which can cause all kinds of problems?

It doesn't make any sense why you should have a law about one disease and not another.

I'm fairly certain (someone can check me on this) that sodomy laws were overturned by a Supreme Court ruling that said consenting adults can do whatever they want in the bedroom.

The only thing the med student is in trouble for is potentially exposing another person to HIV without first warning the partner of this danger.

OSUdoc08 said:

You're totally missing the point. The main point is that the administration totally acted without regard for the whistle-blower. They kicked the guy out! For what? "Being late to class" was the official reason. Sounds like some kind of cover up to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
The victim was participating in an illegal act, unless there are no sodomy laws in Georgia.

If not, there should be.
You believe there should be laws against sodomy in Georgia? Isn't that refreshing. :rolleyes:

But is this actually changing anyone's views on Emory Med/attending it?

edit: double post

OSUdoc08 said:

If not, there should be.

Me thinks OSUdoc08 would not be a gay-friendly interview host

godawgs39 said:
Me thinks OSUdoc08 would not be a gay-friendly interview host

My best friend is gay.

But she's a girl.

OSUdoc08 said:
My best friend is gay.

But she's a girl.

Check that, me thinks OSUdoc08 would not be a gay-male-friendly interview host

OSUdoc08 said:

If not, there should be.

A future physician that says there should be a law that dictates what lovers should not do behind closed doors. :rolleyes:

Jon Davis said:

Thank you, finally a reliable source that is intelligible. The UK source(s) was writhe with so many errors I didn't bother to wade through it.

This is despicable! Is Emory really going to consider "readmission" after this nut-case's "leave of absense?" He's a freakin' threat to society! With THREE felony charges. And given his status as a 4th year med student there's absolutely no excuse for him to NOT inform intimate partners that he carries a STI. He should definitely be expelled, this is something that cannot be overlooked.

On another note, I was really, really happy to read that Withrow (one of the victims) hasn't tested positive for HIV. Since his last encounter was in April 2004, that puts him well beyond the 6 month point, so does that mean he hasn't contracted the virus?

godawgs39 said:
Check that, me thinks OSUdoc08 would not be a gay-male-friendly interview host

As a straight male that lives alone, don't you think it would be weird to have a gay male that I've never met stay with me in my apartment?

I'm sure my buddies would love that one.

crazy_cavalier said:
On another note, I was really, really happy to read that Withrow (one of the victims) hasn't tested positive for HIV. Since his last encounter was in April 2004, that puts him well beyond the 6 month point, so does that mean he hasn't contracted the virus?

From what I understand, they only had oral sex. The risk of transmission for that type of act is very low. I doubt he is HIV+.

Jon Davis said:
From what I understand, they only had oral sex. The risk of transmission for that type of act is very low. I doubt he is HIV+.

Even if you have unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ person, only a fraction of the people would actually contract the virus.

OSUdoc08 said:
As a straight male that lives alone, don't you think it would be weird to have a gay male that I've never met stay with me in my apartment?

Not really, as a straight male that doesn't judge others based on their sexuality and doesn't fear that every gay male is going to hit on me, I really don't think it would be weird. That is, of course, assuming that the gay male staying with you is there to interview and not to start any relationships, and that he's not weird.

OSUdoc08 said:

Your buddies sound immature and idiotic. That's almost as dumb as them loving you being alone in a exam room with a gay patient. Uh oh, a straight male alone with a gay male. Maybe you'll catch the "gay germ" :eek:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

godawgs39 said:
Not really, as a straight male that doesn't judge others based on their sexuality and doesn't fear that every gay male is going to hit on me, I really don't think it would be weird. That is, of course, assuming that the gay male staying with you is there to interview and not to start any relationships, and that he's not weird.

Unfortunately, I've been hit on by a majority of the gay men I've come in contact with, so I'm a bit skeptical.

This includes recieving offers of gifts for sexual favors from coworkers.

crazy_cavalier said:
Your buddies sound immature and idiotic. That's almost as dumb as them loving you being alone in a exam room with a gay patient. Uh oh, a straight male alone with a gay male. Maybe you'll catch the "gay germ" :eek:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Do you normally sleep while you are in the room with him?

No.

I have always thought there were too many liberals on SDN anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
Even if you have unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ person, only a fraction of the people would actually contract the virus.

I'm going to answer your original question which you edited out from your post. The question was along the lines of (paraphrasing):
"What's the big deal then?"

The big deal is that the person who was HIV+ put at risk another person. Risk IS risk, regardless of it being low or high. The partner has a right to know. No doubt, you will change your tune if you found out your partner hid information such as being HIV+ from YOU.

Your attitude towards this is, dare I say, despicable.

Jon Davis said:
I'm going to answer your original question which you edited out from your post. The question was along the lines of (paraphrasing):
"What's the big deal then?"

The big deal is that the person who was HIV+ put at risk another person. Risk IS risk, regardless of it being low or high. The partner has a right to know. No doubt, you will change your tune if you found out your partner hid information such as being HIV+ from YOU.

Your attitude towards this is, dare I say, despicable.

Would you agree then that they also have a right to know about them having HPV, HBV, EBV, or HHV-2?

It seems like a double standard to me.

OSUdoc08 said:
Do you normally sleep while you are in the room with him?

No.

Okay, hypothetically, if you were to host one of these sex-starved gays, and you went to sleep, given your gay-magnet status, if he did anything to you while you were sleeping, wouldn't that be sexual assault? Do all or most gay people lack the will power to suppress their apparently overcharged sex drive? I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here.

As for liberals, I'm neither Democrat nor Republican, but I am open minded and I try my best to not pre-judge others or make stereotypes. If that means I'm a liberal, count me in. I hope you don't take these posts as a personal attack, I just thought your comments made you out to be a little paranoid and not-so-gay-friendly.

About the actual topic of this thread, that situation is messed up.

godawgs39 said:
Okay, hypothetically, if you were to host one of these sex-starved gays, and you went to sleep, given your gay-magnet status, if he did anything to you while you were sleeping, wouldn't that be sexual assault? Do all or most gay people lack the will power to suppress their apparently overcharged sex drive? I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here.

As for liberals, I'm neither Democrat nor Republican, but I am open minded and I try my best to not pre-judge others or make stereotypes. If that means I'm a liberal, count me in. I hope you don't take these posts as a personal attack, I just thought your comments made you out to be a little paranoid and not-so-gay-friendly.

About the actual topic of this thread, that situation is messed up.

We may never know. But let's not make this a gay opinion forum. Society can't agree on that one.

What do you think about the mandatory "inform others of HIV rule?"

Why the emphasis on this particular virus and not others?

OSUdoc08 said:
It's not a coincidence that, in general, academic/educational institutions are liberal.

Unless you're talking about Bob Jones University, where girls can't wear shorts, no posters of movie stars are allowed in your dorm room, and you must be in bed with the lights out by 11pm. Yeah!!!

So, no one's answered my question yet...is this changing anyone's mind about attending Emory Med, or at least your interest in it?

OSUdoc08 said:
Would you agree then that they also have a right to know about them having HPV, HBV, EBV, or HHV-2?

It seems like a double standard to me.

You don't read carefully. I said, "such as HIV". Yes, I do agree that one should share all pertinent medical information to another before sex acts.

MrBurns10 said:
It's not a coincidence that, in general, academic/educational institutions are liberal.

Unless you're talking about Bob Jones University, where girls can't wear shorts, no posters of movie stars are allowed in your dorm room, and you must be in bed with the lights out by 11pm. Yeah!!!

So, no one's answered my question yet...is this changing anyone's mind about attending Emory Med, or at least your interest in it?

Not really sure where you get this from.

I went to undergrad at Baylor and currently attend medical school at Oklahoma State. Not many liberals at either.

I think this is more based on the region of the country.

OSUdoc08 said:
We may never know. But let's not make this a gay opinion forum. Society can't agree on that one.

I think that's unfortunate that you hold that opinion, but to each his own.

As for the HIV rule, I think it's a good law given the nature of the disease. Why not have a law for other STDs? Good question. I would say that anyone who intentionally misleads someone and puts them at risk of infection should be held liable. Generally, if you're looking to start a relationship, the first question you ask someone isn't if they're disease free, so STDs can be overcome if there is some substance to the relationship. If it's a purely sexual relationship, then all the cards should be on the table and anyone that is deceitful should be held accountable. Just my opinion.

OSUdoc08 said:
Not really sure where you get this from.

I went to undergrad at Baylor and currently attend medical school at Oklahoma State. Not many liberals at either.

I think this is more based on the region of the country.
Baylor is a Baptist institution and Oklahoma is one of the most conservative states in the U.S. I don't think it's surprising either of those lack in liberals.

I was referring more to the heavily research-oriented universities; science in general is pretty liberal. I went to a research heavy university in North Carolina, the so-called Buckle of the Bible Belt, and I may have met 2 or 3 conservatives. And this seems to be the case across the country based on things I've heard.

MrBurns10 said:
Baylor is a Baptist institution and Oklahoma is one of the most conservative states in the U.S. I don't think it's surprising either of those lack in liberals.

I was referring more to the heavily research-oriented universities; science in general is pretty liberal. I went to a research heavy university in North Carolina, the so-called Buckle of the Bible Belt, and I may have met 2 or 3 conservatives. And this seems to be the case across the country based on things I've heard.

Well from what I've heard, Oklahoma is the buckle of the Bible belt. I pretty much think anything on the east coast is liberal.

For you to say Baylor College of Medicine and UT-Southwestern aren't research-oriented would be a mistake.

MrBurns10 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread and make this an OSUdoc08 opinion thread. I didn't apply to emory because of the location (I'm a midwest guy and wanted to stay where the snow is). On numbers and reputation alone, I certainly would have considered Emory, but I'm a person that needs to have a good feel for a place, and if I were still looking at schools, this would be a big turn-off, big enough that I wouldn't apply.

OSUdoc08 said:
For you to say Baylor College of Medicine and UT-Southwestern aren't research-oriented would be a mistake.
You didn't go to Baylor Med, you went to Baylor undergrad. Baylor Med has nothing to do with the undergrad.

OSUdoc08 said:
]

Because HIV is very deadly and at the *staggering* rate that it is spreading, it stands to pose a threat to the human race altogether. One of our strongest measures against this virus is knowledge - getting tested. If you know you carry it, you should definitely inform others that you have it before putting them at risk! What do you think the whole HIV "Know/Now" campaign is about?

As for HPV HBV etc., I think if you know you carry these, you should still inform your partner and make efforts to minimize transmission. Someone who knows they have herpes should still inform intimate partners about it and seek protection. My reaction to the Emory student would have been the same if he had herpes and was spreading that - knowingly, I should remind you.

The fact that he knew he carried it, deceived his partners (by flat out lying or otherwise not telling them), and still had unprotected sex, THAT is the crime, in my opinion.

MrBurns10 said:
You didn't go to Baylor Med, you went to Baylor undergrad. Baylor Med has nothing to do with the undergrad.

No, but I interviewed there. Did you?

OSUdoc08 said:
No, but I interviewed there. Did you?
Didn't apply there. Perhaps I spoke too freely, but I wouldn't consider the state where our current ultra-conservative president used to be governor a good representation of how liberal research-oriented academic institutions tend to be. Looking at the USNews top 50 for undergrad colleges, I'd say most of them tend to be liberal.

But enough of that, this conversation really doesn't have much of a point.

I visited Baylor when I was shopping for undergraduate schools.

I attended the FIRST EVER coed dance hosted/allowed by the university. This was in 1995 (or thereabouts). It is in Waco, to boot. Arguably the worst place in America.

That place sucks. Sorry you had to suffer through four years there.

PS: Might I have seen you singing rediculous show tunes at that stupid "pigskin classic" garbage?

Herman Bloom said:
I visited Baylor when I was shopping for undergraduate schools.

I attended the FIRST EVER coed dance hosted/allowed by the university. This was in 1995 (or thereabouts). It is in Waco, to boot. Arguably the worst place in America.

That place sucks. Sorry you had to suffer through four years there.

PS: Might I have seen you singing rediculous show tunes at that stupid "pigskin classic" garbage?

Waco sucks, but the school is excellent.

It's the 19th poorest city in the nation and has a higher murder rate (per capita) than New York City.

It served for some good clinical experience as a paramedic, however.

And no, I wasn't singing show tunes. I'd like to refer you to the gentleman from Emory if you are interested in that sort of thing.

OSUdoc08, I am blown away by your ignorance.

Jon Davis said:
OSUdoc08, I am blown away by your ignorance.

Thanks for violating the terms of service.

Good luck to you.

OSUdoc08 said:
Thanks for violating the terms of service.

Good luck to you.

I laugh. :laugh:

*hic* shore iz uh gud thang them thar fagz don't go to emurgencee rooms er else OSU guy might hafta fix one uv em up. *hic* :rolleyes:

As for Emory: I chose not to apply because of the geographic location. I just can't handle that much humidity -- not to mention the bugs! Blegch. The opportunity to work alongside CDC folks is exciting but it's just not enough.

Hey guys, if anyone is intersted in the details of the case and not the current debate, I'm in the atl and this guy has been on the local news the past couple days for his 2nd offense. He pled guilty to all of his charges and then the victims asked the judge to minimize any jail time he might serve (the max was 10 years!). The judge gave him two years jail time with 2 years probation to be served continuously with his sentence for the first conviction which had the same sentence.

We do have this law that you must inform anyone you sleep with if you are HIV+ whether its two men or a man and a woman or whatever. The fact that he is gay has nothing to do with it. The unusual thing about it is that this law is like never enforced, right up there with the sodomy laws (which as far as I know we still have and are usually only used in rape cases as an additional charge to throw at a rapist).

MrBurns10 said:

Uhhh, no. An article by a UK website featuring extremely poor grammar and a bunch of bizarre unsupported assertions about how "John Doe" was expelled for being late to class? Mmmyeah. As far as the guy with HIV goes, well, not Emory's fault they've got a douchebag student. It seems like some guy with a grudge (aka John Doe) decided to latch onto this story about the AIDS spreading guy to bash the school. Needless to say, I will not be cancelling my Emory interview. :p

Or as the article might say, "It is not just pouring the flood; it has become a full blown torrent that threatens, to, do the Teflon Don Gotti, proud".