Where are you Northwesterners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businessguy

That's gold Jerry, Gold!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
collegemap.gif

We need some more schools in the west/midwest. Did anyone just apply to the 4 schools in the west?

Members don't see this ad.

Oregonian here -- COMP's the only western school I applied to because of the NW track thing. None of the other western schools appealed to me for various reasons. You're right, we should have a school here. Supposedly one will open in about two years in Yakima, but we'll see.

DMU obviously knows we're a big market because they even interview in Portland. Good call on their part.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from the NW and applied only to AZCOM on the West Coast. I will probably go there if I don't get in to University of Washington or one of a few other schools I interviewed at (Saint Louis University and Rosalind Franklin).

It's too expensive! I would love to have a state DO school where I wouldn't have to pay >$60,000/year to attend.

is the northwest rotations program highly competitive?

exlawgirl you have great stats so your admission isn't really indicitive, any idea?

andyfromseattle said:
is the northwest rotations program highly competitive?

exlawgirl you have great stats so your admission isn't really indicitive, any idea?

the rumor is that it's less competitive than regular admission to comp. no one's actually started rotating yet, and i've heard the rotations aren't as good as the ones in california.

exlawgrrl said:
the rumor is that it's less competitive than regular admission to comp. no one's actually started rotating yet, and i've heard the rotations aren't as good as the ones in california.

thats great to hear (the first part) this may seem short sighted but anything that gets me in the northwest would be awesome.

I've been wondering this for a couple years now as schools keep popping up in Florida, Tenn., and the Southwest. I'm seriously considering moving to the Pacific Northwest following my training in Michigan and want to teach in an academic setting, so medical schools in the area are obviously something I'm looking into. The school being planned in Yakima was wonderful to hear, but their funding looks to be lacking as they only report $5 million of the $20 million they need.
Also, if you consider the needs of the Northwest, including Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, etc. I can't imagine that UW can continue to supply all the local physicians with the projected lack of professionals projected in the near future. I have a great respect for UW (and OHSU), but that would be a superhuman feat and they would need to boost their class sizes considerably to accomplish that.
In the end, I greatly hope the school in Yakima works out and becomes a permanent fixture in the world of medical education. If they do, I can almost assure them of a future cardiologist on staff. ;)

subtle1epiphany said:
I've been wondering this for a couple years now as schools keep popping up in Florida, Tenn., and the Southwest. I'm seriously considering moving to the Pacific Northwest following my training in Michigan and want to teach in an academic setting, so medical schools in the area are obviously something I'm looking into. The school being planned in Yakima was wonderful to hear, but their funding looks to be lacking as they only report $5 million of the $20 million they need.
Also, if you consider the needs of the Northwest, including Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, etc. I can't imagine that UW can continue to supply all the local physicians with the projected lack of professionals projected in the near future. I have a great respect for UW (and OHSU), but that would be a superhuman feat and they would need to boost their class sizes considerably to accomplish that.
In the end, I greatly hope the school in Yakima works out and becomes a permanent fixture in the world of medical education. If they do, I can almost assure them of a future cardiologist on staff. ;)

Also, OHSU's goal is no longer to produce physicians for the region. They have practically no instate preference and only 30% of their grads practice in Oregon. Since OHSU is essentially operating as a private school, the northwest region only has one true public school.

exlawgrrl said:
Also, OHSU's goal is no longer to produce physicians for the region. They have practically no instate preference and only 30% of their grads practice in Oregon. Since OHSU is essentially operating as a private school, the northwest region only has one true public school.
Wow, I had no idea that had happened. That's really too bad, kinda like the UCs in that regard...whatever happened to state schools that serve their state? :confused:

bodymechanic said:
Link to the Yakima school's site if anybody is interested...

http://www.pnuhs.org/index.htm

It will be interesting to see if they meet the 2007 admissions date...If money's the problem, why don't they just call Bill and Melinda like everyone else? ;)

Kinda hard to see them raising 15 million dollars and getting a building up in time. I guess they wouldn't have to be totally ready to do the admissions process. So they're aiming for the cycle after next?

I'd even wait a cycle to stay in the northwest.

subtle1epiphany said:
Wow, I had no idea that had happened. That's really too bad, kinda like the UCs in that regard...whatever happened to state schools that serve their state? :confused:

It's been going on for the past several years because the state legislature has cut their funding. Now they're a public corporation instead of a public school. They lower their number criteria a bit for granting interview to instate applicants, but that's the only preference we receive. Typically, Oregonians make up about 50 to 60% of a class at OHSU, and that's only because virtually every Oregonian who's offered admission there accepts the offer. So, yeah, not a good state for the premeds.

exlawgrrl said:

Hey, I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

Just had a little heads-up for you per our previous conversation and also this post.

Jake