Canadian Ee Candidates Must Read This One

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gag

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[hi guys
I would like to share my experience at three dental schools........UofT, University of Manitoba and Dalhousie university
here ,i'm going to tell u all my interview questions and clinical procedures required

Uof T

......interview is ab of 30 minutes and they usually ask 7-8 questions and its not at all realted to u'r dental experience or u'r academics.its a situation based interview.here i'm going to post my questions

1.u just had a presentaion and it went terribly bad. another one is after amonth.what would u like to do in order to makre it successful?

2.u have a friend who is having aids and she does;'nt want anyone to know ab it ,but u tell u'r mother about it and she fails to keep it to herself and now the whole town knows ab it.u'r friend is hurt .what will u do in this kind of situation?

3.sometimes there si a communication gap b/w students and teachers.was there any time in u'r life that u did;'nt understand the thing completeley and without asking u'r teacher once again u just jumped for doing it?

4.u have aroomate who is alcohlic .one fine day u notice him puting alcohal in orange juice just before going to class.but when u ask him .......he tells that everything is fine with him.would u like to do something in this situation?

5.sometimes in life u have to handle mulitple tasks at one time?did u have ever faced asituation like this and how did u handle this one?

6.did u ever influence someone to take a decision and what was the outcome?

7.u have a colleague who is very very negative and u are going to work on a project with him for 3 months.how will u handle this situation.

and the clinical procedures asked were
1.mod on 4.6

2.pfm on 1.3

3.mod on 1.6 for composites

4.amalgam filling in 2.6,mod

university of manitoba

its an unstructured interview and they will just talk about u'r clionical e3xpierence and u'r goals and things like that.there is nothing particular they ask in the interview.

coming to clinical exam.........its really intensise

1.pfm on 1.4

2.temporay crown on the same

3.class 3 composite on 1.1[simulated caries]

4. amalgam filling in prepared mod cavity on 2.7

5.full metal crown on 4.6

6. mo for composite on 1.4 [simulated caries]

7.mod on 3.6[simulated caries]

8.mo gold inlay on 2.6

and apart from that there is an OSCE
there are multiple choice questins,some true and false as well

Dalhousiew university

interview is just to check u'r communication skills.they will ask things ab u and most importantly,u should know to talk about dentistry in layman language

clinical is time scaled
1.5 hours
and a mo on lower premolar and afull metal crown ion alower molar

then u have to write an essay on some general topic.this is to access the writing abilities.

i hope this might help u all .

good luck
gag

Members don't see this ad.

wow GAG
i really commend you on taking the time out to enlighten us on your interview experiences. above all that, i thank you so much for telling us what these 3 schools have asking to answer/perform. thankyou once again for all your help in doing this for all the canadians!
have you heard from any of the universities as of yet> if you have not, i wish you all the best of luck.. if you have.. heartiest congratulations!

thankyou again..

Hi Gag

Your information is very,very helpful. Thank you very much for sharing them with us. Best of luck in dental school :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing this important information.

I read what you wrote about those 3 Universities and I want to thank you for sharing it with us,
All the best

Hey Guys ... I want to add one more university in this list..Univ. of Western Ontario ,London.
Their clinical exam is called Prior Learning Assesment..PLA,this is an intense test consisting of 5 days...4 days for the clinical procedures & last day for the interview.If u pass the in the clinical test(in this univ. there is a system of grading but in UofT there is just pass/fail criteria which is ofcourse an easier one)then only u r invited to the interview.
These are the procedures we did in our exam:
1st day-there was an orientation followed byMOD prep with lingual extension on 26& a Porcelain veneer on 11.
2nd day- a full gold prep on 46 & an FPD on 567 with 6 missing.
3rd day -Amlgam filling in the prep we prepared on 1st day,Provisional restoration for 36.
There was a problem situation which is new for every batch-I don't remember the exact statement-It was like "Caries is involving 36 in such a way that the width of the isthmus has to be widened upto 3-4 mm & then it is to be filled with gold.
4th day-all ceramic prep on 12.
So if u prepare all these preps according to their passing crieria then u r invited for the interview.
Here I would like to add that there is a program povided by this univ. where they provide u an opportunity to prepare these preps in their environment & under their guidnace.It is held in May & costs the tuition fee of around $2000.00.Apart from this people join clinics or buy the equipment in their homes to practice.
I hope this help all those people who r preparing for clinical exams.

Hi Phoenix

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. All the best in dental school :)

hi guys
i would like to add alittle more information.its important to get a high score in ee,but that will ensure an interview call only.after that ,u have to start all over again.so an intense prep for the clinical is is very important.the most important thing is to practice all these preps in acorrect way..i joined a course for that in toronto and i found it quite useful..if any one wants to know the details ab that,u can pm me.u can buy equipment to practice.
1.u require a typodont and brand differs from university to university.

for UofT
its killgore

for UBC
its frasaco

for western ontario
its columbia

for manitoba
its killgore

for dalhousie
its frasaco

the difference in these brands is in terms of tooth consistency and little bit anatomy.kilgore is of little soft consistency whereas frasaco and columbia are of hard consistency.
2. a high speed handpiece

3.a compressor

4.a minnikin

5.replacement teeth for typodont

6.few hand instruments.....a hatchet 1.5 mm and 1.0 mm
a probe[william's]
explorer
mesial and distal marginal trimmers
amalgam carrier
ball burnishers
T3 carver
cleiod and discoid
a posterior gold knife
an amalgam plugger
and of course a front surface mirror
an ammalgamator and capsules if u wish to
practice amalgam fillings
7. various kinds burs to use for different preps.

i'll let u know ab all the bur no.s as well as code for hand instruments in my next post.

gag said:
hi
Keep it up.people like you really deserve success and you finally made it.Best wishes once again for your selection.

Hey all ,
This is really one of the most benificial threads I've read regarding the QP .
I actually had a few questions for you guys and I was hoping that you could share the experience with new candidates who are still preparing to apply for the QP .
What's the minimum score in EE below which you should consider retaking the exam before you apply for the qualifying programs, or take the risk and apply anyways ?
Regarding the UWO , one has to pay $1,400 as an application fee and PLA fees , Is that refundable in case you're not accepted ?
Also ,the deadline is in March , Can one send his application before that and then add his/her EE (MAY) scores afterwards ?

I thank your prticipation in advance , Good luck to you all ..

Hi Shiko
EE score is required to get a call for the interview & for that although it depends year to year but atleast above 82-85 is required.There is only one university where u get a call with as low as 65% because they invite everybody who has applied i.e UWO. For most of the univ. after getting the call u have to start the whole story again to pass in the clinical assesment test particularly UWO the importance is given to PLA rather then EE.
Regarding the PLA fees it is non refundable & u can send the application now & submit the EE scores later.But it is my personal advice that u should apply ther if u have a full practice of ur practicals otherwise ur whole fees will go on drain on top of the personal expenses for staying there for 5 days.
If u have any other questions feel free to ask me.
Shiko said:
Hey all ,
This is really one of the most benificial threads I've read regarding the QP .
I actually had a few questions for you guys and I was hoping that you could share the experience with new candidates who are still preparing to apply for the QP .
What's the minimum score in EE below which you should consider retaking the exam before you apply for the qualifying programs, or take the risk and apply anyways ?
Regarding the UWO , one has to pay $1,400 as an application fee and PLA fees , Is that refundable in case you're not accepted ?
Also ,the deadline is in March , Can one send his application before that and then add his/her EE (MAY) scores afterwards ?

I thank your prticipation in advance , Good luck to you all ..

Hi Gag,
You mentioned in your post about preparatory program in Toronto, can you please tell some detail about this course? I did PM you but didn,t get any reply. I understand that you may be busy but any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Nkhalid

Hello Everyone :

Can you guys tell me how you prepared for the practical assessments ?
Did you join any preparation courses ,or did you practice o youe own ?
I was thinking of buying a compressor and plastic teeth , but I need to make sure that I'm following their criteria regarding the cavity outline,depth and extensions .
How long does it usually take to prepare for the assessment ? like am I extremely late now or do I still have a chance to catch up ??

Thanks to you all ..

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
just reviving my post as most of u r now preparing for the clinicals for canadian schools and i realize that there r many doubts initially ab the whole process. i tried to touch all the areas people would like know ab.i hope this will help u preparing for it.
good luck

Hi !!! gag.. i m a new member and planning to take EE in May next yr.. could u pls tell me wat to study and from where can i get that from... i have 3-4 yr old Dental Decks.. r they sufficient or i need new ones? i really confused.. pls help..
one thing more...... gag r u from SGRD Asr??

[hi gaghon
i guess u need to et the latest version of the cecks or u can compare with someone with neer version. u need asda papers, canadian papers, jack e well part 1 and 2 and also u need to refer few things from the books. and u r quite right. i'm from sgrd.
goog luck
:luck:

You can also check the Study Club section of NBDEAnswers.com,
lot of free materials that can help you. Here is the link www.nbdeanswers.com

gag said:
[hi gaghon
i guess u need to et the latest version of the cecks or u can compare with someone with neer version. u need asda papers, canadian papers, jack e well part 1 and 2 and also u need to refer few things from the books. and u r quite right. i'm from sgrd.
goog luck
:luck:

Hi,
Kindly tell me about the clinical prep program conducted in Toronto.

hi guys
i would like to add alittle more information.its important to get a high score in ee,but that will ensure an interview call only.after that ,u have to start all over again.so an intense prep for the clinical is is very important.the most important thing is to practice all these preps in acorrect way..i joined a course for that in toronto and i found it quite useful..if any one wants to know the details ab that,u can pm me.u can buy equipment to practice.

for UofT
its killgore

for UBC
its frasaco

for western ontario
its columbia

for manitoba
its killgore

for dalhousie
its frasaco

the difference in these brands is in terms of tooth consistency and little bit anatomy.kilgore is of little soft consistency whereas frasaco and columbia are of hard consistency.

3.a compressor

4.a minnikin

a probe[william's]
explorer
amalgam carrier
ball burnishers
T3 carver
cleiod and discoid
a posterior gold knife
an amalgam plugger

i'll let u know ab all the bur no.s as well as code for hand instruments in my next post.

hi,,r u appearng in may 2007

hi guys

for UofT
its killgore

for UBC
its frasaco

for western ontario
its columbia

for manitoba
its killgore

for dalhousie
its frasaco

3.a compressor

4.a minnikin

a probe[william's]
explorer
amalgam carrier
ball burnishers
T3 carver
cleiod and discoid
a posterior gold knife
an amalgam plugger

I would like to make a correction regarding help gag is providing.
In UWO you need Frasaco not Columbia teeth and dentoform.
Good luck guys!!

hi everyone

i am giving the eligibility exam on coming 12 May, 07 and i was hoping if i could discuss a few questions with anyone. if anyone is interested they could email me and i could discuss certain questions. please this is really urgent.

[email protected]

Hi,
E.E is very much near, can anybody guide and give some useful tips regarding managing the allotted exam time.
Take care

Hi Guys,

i have a silent compressor and a micro unit. If somebody is intrested in it please let me know.
Thanks

I feel so bad for you guys...you guys put so much effort into all this dental school stuff...and you are already dentists...its all POLITICS...I graduated from u of t...regular DDS...good luck to all of you........

Hi there, I am interested in your silent compressor and a micro unit, and would like to know get more info about them regarding price, condition & Brand

Hi Guys,

i have a silent compressor and a micro unit. If somebody is intrested in it please let me know.
Thanks

I am interested in your compressor and microunit. Please pm me.

Thanks

Hi,
just to let u guys know that i have some hand instruments, ammalgammator and teeth for kilgore typodont. if anyone intrested , plz contact me via pm.

hi there just read ur post can u help us if we some questions n the r not too sure if we have the right answer???

hi.....could u plz post the questions here?

what is responsible for polymerization shrinkage?
evaporation of unreacted monomer OR
replacement of 1ry bonds with2ry?

MAJOR BLD SUPPLY OF GINGIVA?
intra-alveolar
superficial vessels

failure of t/t of furcations?
widening of furcation
narrowing
form of furcation ride

n if u cud pass me ur email add i can post them directly....

Hello Friends,

I Have Interview In Rochester .i Live In Canada,so To Attain The Interview Which Visa Should I Apply For Entery In To Usa.
Some Body Told Me Apply For Either B1,b2,b1/b2
I Am Little Bit Confused.plz Suggest Which One Should I Opt For Entering Into Usa.

Your Help Is Highly Appreciated.

:)

what is responsible for polymerization shrinkage?
evaporation of unreacted monomer OR
replacement of 1ry bonds with2ry?

MAJOR BLD SUPPLY OF GINGIVA?
intra-alveolar
superficial vessels

failure of t/t of furcations?
widening of furcation
narrowing
form of furcation ride

n if u cud pass me ur email add i can post them directly....
[email protected]

Hi Friends,

I need to buy the equipments to practice. Does anybody know where I can get them from. I can buy the compressor from Canadian Tire, but I will need other stuff.

I appreciate your help:thumbup: