my semi-solicited advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adcomm

snitch
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear applicants, I hope you are all having fun. over this year's admissions season I have been reading your questions and sagas and now and then I observe something I think it would be helpful for you to know. some of these may seem like common sense but I include them here because I have actually seen people mess them up. take this as one person's experience, but I hope this random collection of tips helps some of you in the coming year. if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

1. AMCAS, personal statements- please have someone read these, preferably a premed or professional advisor and not just your roommate. hold off on including things that could be misinterpreted, are far from the norm in even a slightly weird way, or could be skewed by anyone as evidence that you might not quite be psychologically fit for the profession of medicine.

2. AMCAS, ethnic/racial designation on- love me or hate me for this one. please consider your decision to label yourself an underrepresented minority carefully. if your grandmother was born in spain but moved here when she was 2, it may be tempting to put "hispanic" even if your name is john smith, the extent of your spanish is "hola", and you've never left the state you live in. and it may be your right to do so. however, you may want to consider the possibility that this will backfire. same with "african-american" when your heritage is egyptian. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful with it. when people designate themselves as URMs, the committee is very pleased to see things like involvement with the ethnic community, and volunteer work in related clinics.

3. AMCAS, photos- please don't include "funny" photos of yourself. there are too many digital cameras around, have a friend snap your picture. it doesn't matter if it's a bad pic of you, just don't have it be a poor choice in general.

4. AMCAS, volunteer activities- please have either this or shadowing. even having a great application otherwise is not enough to overcome lack of clinical exposure.

5. interview day, being late on- be honest if you're late. everyone is human, getting caught lying about it is enough to kill your app.

6. interview day, admissions staff and- yes, everyone you interact with has input. play your game face all day.

7. interview questions- "why do you want to be a doctor?" PLEASE, please have a solid answer for this. I don't care what it is. just don't mumble or act unsure. being fervent about a subspecialty can also backfire.

8. interview questions- "do you have any questions for me?" YES, you do. ask something you already know the answer to. ask something you could care less about. just don't say no, or even "they were all already answered".

9. waitlist, LOIs- send them.

10. waitlist, grades/courses/mcats- if you are being asked to complete something after your interview, it probably means they liked you enough that they're going to accept you once you successfully do whatever they want. so do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet! Another adcom in the ranks!

Thanks for posting on SDN :) :D

adcomm said:
dear applicants, I hope you are all having fun. over this year's admissions season I have been reading your questions and sagas and now and then I observe something I think it would be helpful for you to know. some of these may seem like common sense but I include them here because I have actually seen people mess them up. take this as one person's experience, but I hope this random collection of tips helps some of you in the coming year. if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

1. AMCAS, personal statements- please have someone read these, preferably a premed or professional advisor and not just your roommate. hold off on including things that could be misinterpreted, are far from the norm in even a slightly weird way, or could be skewed by anyone as evidence that you might not quite be psychologically fit for the profession of medicine.

2. AMCAS, ethnic/racial designation on- love me or hate me for this one. please consider your decision to label yourself an underrepresented minority carefully. if your grandmother was born in spain but moved here when she was 2, it may be tempting to put "hispanic" even if your name is john smith, the extent of your spanish is "hola", and you've never left the state you live in. and it may be your right to do so. however, you may want to consider the possibility that this will backfire. same with "african-american" when your heritage is egyptian. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful with it. when people designate themselves as URMs, the committee is very pleased to see things like involvement with the ethnic community, and volunteer work in related clinics.

3. AMCAS, photos- please don't include "funny" photos of yourself. there are too many digital cameras around, have a friend snap your picture. it doesn't matter if it's a bad pic of you, just don't have it be a poor choice in general.

4. AMCAS, volunteer activities- please have either this or shadowing. even having a great application otherwise is not enough to overcome lack of clinical exposure.

5. interview day, being late on- be honest if you're late. everyone is human, getting caught lying about it is enough to kill your app.

6. interview day, admissions staff and- yes, everyone you interact with has input. play your game face all day.

7. interview questions- "why do you want to be a doctor?" PLEASE, please have a solid answer for this. I don't care what it is. just don't mumble or act unsure. being fervent about a subspecialty can also backfire.

8. interview questions- "do you have any questions for me?" YES, you do. ask something you already know the answer to. ask something you could care less about. just don't say no, or even "they were all already answered".

10. waitlist, grades/courses/mcats- if you are being asked to complete something after your interview, it probably means they liked you enough that they're going to accept you once you successfully do whatever they want. so do it.

Does research experience come into play?

Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom-Zoom said:
Does research experience come into play?
at my school, it's a benefit but certainly not a necessity. it does not count for clinical experience unless it was clinical research with extensive patient contact...

do you recommend doing anything after your interview/before your decision (letters, transcripts, new LORs) other than sitting around juggling our balls?
-mota

before you get some kind of feedback there is nothing to do, you haven't been discussed yet. send a thank you to your interview, then juggle away. I have seen thank yous that were really heartfelt change an interviewer's attitude towards the applicant. once you get a waitlist, I do recommend being in touch- just a simple, eloquent letter of continued interest or an update on your life if there's something worth reporting.

If we haven't been placed "on hold" to interview at an institution - ie, the secondary is still under review and has been for a few months - but we know it's a place we'd like to attend, how long should one wait for a decision before writing an update letter?
(let's apply this to say, a UC, after being complete since November).

Also, does legacy count at all (either for or against)?

Are non-traditionals considered differently than traditional applicants? How old is "old"?

Thank you very much for posting on this site. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

I've been posting for quite some time you just don't know who I am ;)

if you really like the school, call and tell them you're still interested in an interview, ask where they're at. as long as you're polite you can do no harm there. UCs... ouch. might be tough.

legacy counts for at my school- easier to get an interview, and somewhat easier to be admitted although not a guarantee by any means.

my school likes non trads and tends to cut a break on grades and MCATs with one caveat- you need to show SOME kind of recent significant coursework. they get worried when people have been out of the classroom for years. take some upper level courses- even just audit them- before you apply.

adcomm said:

thanks. one thing though, i've had multiple interviewers and even an admissions director tell me that the "asking questions" thing is bogus. many of my interviewers said "ask a question if you have one, but if you don't, please don't worry about it." one mentioned how he felt it was superficial and a waste of time. being genuine is always the best route, IMHO.

Einsteinemc2 said:
thanks. one thing though, i've had multiple interviewers and even an admissions director tell me that the "asking questions" thing is bogus. many of my interviewers said "ask a question if you have one, but if you don't, please don't worry about it." one mentioned how he felt it was superficial and a waste of time. being genuine is always the best route, IMHO.
eh, all I can tell you is I've seen multiple interviewers bring it up negatively. they felt it communicated disinterest in the school. the decision is always yours, in the end. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post. How much clinical experience is enough? Is volunteering better than shadowing? I would think shadowing would be better but I have been told otherwise.

depends on what the volunteering is. I'd try to get a little of both if I were you- show you can be committed by volunteering, show it's actually to medicine by some shadowing. shadowing should be more than once or twice, if possible- if you're starting early enough your best bet is to stick with someone an afternoon every week or every other week for a few months, then get them to write you a LOR :)

how does the adcom generally take into account the length of time a reccomender has known the student? for example, lets say a professor has known the student for 4 months and writes a 10/10 letter for him or her versus a prof who has known the student for 2+ years and writes a 7-8/10 letter, and lets say the student knows the quality of the letters....who should he/she ask for the letter? does it look bad when a student has only known he prof for a s hort period of time and gets a rec, or is it not even taken into account?>

Members don't see this ad :)
time doesn't matter as much a good letter that shows the person does indeed know you. if someone can write you a personal letter after knowing you 4 months, great. overall, minimal impact.

This is along the same lines of what de mota has already asked, but I'll ask anyways:

my school's committee makes a short selection of all the applicants for the past week, ranking them a, b, or c. Then in March, the dean and the entire committee go through all the a's and any of the b's left to fill the class.
I've interviewed, sent my thank you notes, and more than likely been ranked already. Will sending an letter of intent help me at all at this point? And if so, What do you adcoms like to see in letters of intent?

thanks for taking the time to talk to us all.

I'd rather think of it this way- can it hurt? no.

I don't know much about LOIs, but I do know they like to hear about your genuine interest and what it is about that school that makes you want to go there- ie, I really felt xyz was the place for me, I really want to be part of this or that, I knew your school was right for me when, something like that. honest, heartfelt.

Doesn't it suck large that we have to go through this again for residency, and then to get a job?

liverotcod said:
Doesn't it suck large that we have to go through this again for residency, and then to get a job?
a lot.

adcomm said:
my school likes non trads and tends to cut a break on grades and MCATs with one caveat- you need to show SOME kind of recent significant coursework. they get worried when people have been out of the classroom for years. take some upper level courses- even just audit them- before you apply.

I'm thinking of doing Peace Corps after my undergrad for 2 years... would 2-3 years out of the class room due to this be a problem?

I would evaluate my minimal clinical exposure to be the weakest part of my application. I've been volunteering at a local hospital once a week since the beginning of junior year but that only amounts to about 50-60 hrs. With only one hospital in the viscinity, getting volunteering hours in the hospital is very competetive. I've had to wait in line since my sophomore year to finally get the only time slot that conflicts with one of my extracurricular weekend activities. Shadowing during the academic year usually involves missing classes and having to book a motel for overnight stay. My only significant interaction with doctors have been from a patient perspective when I was going through surgery my freshmen year summer. (Of course I've had clinical exposure during high school, but it sounds like high school activities are irrelevent...)

I specifically chose to do medical research in a big city hospital this summer (I'm currently a junior) so I can continue with my research while being exposed to opportunities for shadowing/volunteering, etc. I've made arrangements with a few doctors who have agreed to allow me to shadow them. I'm hoping to shadow as many doctors in different specialties during the summer. It could help fill the "hole" in my application, but I'm hoping it would expel any bits of uncertainty/misperception/prejudice/bias/unrequited expectations, etc. I have about this profession. Having been on a research track for the early part of my undergraduate years, it has been very important for me to know the precise reason for deciding to pursue medicine and observing and interacting with physicians would help me confirm or re-evaluate my reasoning.

All that being said... *phew*

Would medical schools take into account the fact I'm shadowing over summer/will continue to volunteer during senior year when they review my secondary? I plan to submit my secondaries as early as possible... but maybe I should wait until the end of summer to validate my clinical exposure?

astrife said:
I'm thinking of doing Peace Corps after my undergrad for 2 years... would 2-3 years out of the class room due to this be a problem?
2-3 years usually isn't a problem, it's anything more than that. you may also want to consider the fact that some schools (there is a list somewhere) have arrangements with teach for america and peace corps where you apply right away, then defer for the length of your committment.

hp85 said:
I would evaluate my minimal clinical exposure to be the weakest part of my application. I've been volunteering at a local hospital once a week since the beginning of junior year but that only amounts to about 50-60 hrs. With only one hospital in the viscinity, getting volunteering hours in the hospital is very competetive. I've had to wait in line since my sophomore year to finally get the only time slot that conflicts with one of my extracurricular weekend activities. Shadowing during the academic year usually involves missing classes and having to book a motel for overnight stay. My only significant interaction with doctors have been from a patient perspective when I was going through surgery my freshmen year summer. (Of course I've had clinical exposure during high school, but it sounds like high school activities are irrelevent...)

I specifically chose to do medical research in a big city hospital this summer (I'm currently a junior) so I can continue with my research while being exposed to opportunities for shadowing/volunteering, etc. I've made arrangements with a few doctors who have agreed to allow me to shadow them. I'm hoping to shadow as many doctors in different specialties during the summer. It could help fill the "hole" in my application, but I'm hoping it would expel any bits of uncertainty/misperception/prejudice/bias/unrequited expectations, etc. I have about this profession. Having been on a research track for the early part of my undergraduate years, it has been very important for me to know the precise reason for deciding to pursue medicine and observing and interacting with physicians would help me confirm or re-evaluate my reasoning.

All that being said... *phew*

Would medical schools take into account the fact I'm shadowing over summer/will continue to volunteer during senior year when they review my secondary? I plan to submit my secondaries as early as possible... but maybe I should wait until the end of summer to validate my clinical exposure?

50-60 hours is fine. shadow someone a day or two this spring, put anything you plan to do on your secordary, and be done with it. and um, relax. go have a beer.

Adcomm, thanks for being here.

I got waitlisted at one of the schools where I interviewed. The weakest part of my application is the MCAT. I plan to retake this April, in case I have to reapply. If I score higher, can it still affect the outcome of my current waitlist if the scores come out at the end of June? Does something like this happen at all?

Also, once you get an interview at a school, do the stats still matter?
My impression is that interview zone doesn't really even out applicants with different numbers.

Thanks!

DaMota said:
do you recommend doing anything after your interview/before your decision (letters, transcripts, new LORs) other than sitting around juggling our balls?
-mota

adcomm, he meant to say "testicles". Mota's a good guy, really. lol

thanks for the input though OP.

I have a question about Letters of Recommendation. I have had a few teachers (PhD., lab supervisor for example) that are not faculty, but that know me really well and for whom I have worked as a TA. Would it be better for this person to write me a letter or for a professor in whose class I did really well (highest-grade-in-class well) but that does not know me very well (name, and that's about the extent)?

Thanks!

I recieved a suggestion to write letters this spring to med schools I am thinking about applying to for 2006/2007. The letter would be accompanied by my resume and would essentially briefly state my interest in the school and intent to apply as well as ask if, at a glance, I seem like an applicant they would be interested in.

While the majority if my application is in really great shape for this coming admissions cycle, my GPA and MCAT are just below average. I was given this suggestion as a way to determine which schools might be more concerned about the numbers vs. other accomplishments and qualities.

Would adcomms respond if I wrote them this type of letter? Would writing it hurt me in any way?

Thank you for your great advice thus far and for taking the time to contribute to this thread.

Apparition said:
Adcomm, thanks for being here.

I got waitlisted at one of the schools where I interviewed. The weakest part of my application is the MCAT. I plan to retake this April, in case I have to reapply. If I score higher, can it still affect the outcome of my current waitlist if the scores come out at the end of June? Does something like this happen at all?

Also, once you get an interview at a school, do the stats still matter?
My impression is that interview zone doesn't really even out applicants with different numbers.

Thanks!
at least at my school, there are always a few people that are accepted over the summer- sometimes even the day before classes start. so june scores could potentially do something for you. I'd write a letter now though to let them know you're still interested and that you'll be having some great new scores to show them in the near future. :) now, study hard.

cfdavid said:
adcomm, he meant to say "testicles". Mota's a good guy, really. lol

thanks for the input though OP.
I'm sure he is :)

clusterfcuk said:
Here's one you may not encounter very often...

How would your adcom consider "reapplicants" that withdrew (and thus has "W" grades in 2 courses) from another medical school just prior to finishing the first semester, due to disaster/health-related reasons and financial-institutional instability/uncertainty of the previous school? What about if said student was a recipient of a very prestigious national award that would then be used at your school, if accepted?

In a related question, would MCAT scores from 2003 be accepted for the 2006-2007 application cycle?

Thank you kindly :)
I've never seen an applicant that withdrew from another med school. Hopefully it's well addressed in your application but not dwelled upon. And let's face it, money/the award is always going to come into the picture, favorably... although this sounds more md/phdish to me. Sorry I don't have better advice on this one, just haven't dealt with it.

arob34 said:
I have a question about Letters of Recommendation. I have had a few teachers (PhD., lab supervisor for example) that are not faculty, but that know me really well and for whom I have worked as a TA. Would it be better for this person to write me a letter or for a professor in whose class I did really well (highest-grade-in-class well) but that does not know me very well (name, and that's about the extent)?

Thanks!
Is both an option? If you have to pick one, I would say go with the non-faculty phd. We can always look at your transcript to see how you did in x class and if that's all Professor Jones can say about you then the letter is worthless.

Snowboarder said:
I recieved a suggestion to write letters this spring to med schools I am thinking about applying to for 2006/2007. The letter would be accompanied by my resume and would essentially briefly state my interest in the school and intent to apply as well as ask if, at a glance, I seem like an applicant they would be interested in.

While the majority if my application is in really great shape for this coming admissions cycle, my GPA and MCAT are just below average. I was given this suggestion as a way to determine which schools might be more concerned about the numbers vs. other accomplishments and qualities.

Would adcomms respond if I wrote them this type of letter? Would writing it hurt me in any way?

Thank you for your great advice thus far and for taking the time to contribute to this thread.
I wouldn't bother asking if you're their kind of applicant- you'll likely get no response. What I would do, if you're so inclined, is to visit a few schools and meet with some admissions people now. That can't hurt, it gets your face out there early, and you'll get to see more of schools because on your interview day you'll just be nervous. Just below average is something that can usually be compensated for with the rest of the app and your personality. Try to finish strong this semester and consider retaking the MCATs in August, if you're really worried about it.

Thank you for taking your time for us!
I have kind of silly question.
I was interviewed to my top choice school, where I had two one-on-one interviews. My second interviewer was 30 minutes late and looked VERY tired. So I got 20 min interview instead of 60 min, and it seemed to me that talking with me was the very last thing he wanted to do... Do you think it can effect my chances scince he has to present me to adcom?
thank you!

depending on the system if you were a good applicant he might not even have to present you. you had one interview that went well. they know when they are tired/stressed/pissed and try not to let that affect. I think they do a decent job of it. I have talked to some applicants who thought their interviews went terribly and the person actually really liked them. not to worry, too much. sorry you had that experience.

How does your adcom feel about MD/PhD applicants who haven't made the cut for the MD/PhD program and then go to the MD applicants pool? Are they looked upon more favorably (because they'll do research)? Or less favorably (because if they get into an MD/PhD program somewhere else they'll take it)?

Someone asked Big Red Zippo and s/he had no clue... just curious about your take on it.

does the summer before freshmen year of college count (in regards to EC's)
and
do the committees look at an Elec Engineering major differently than say a psychology major (since one is said to be harder to maintain a high GPA in)?

thanks

sit down lucy said:
How does your adcom feel about MD/PhD applicants who haven't made the cut for the MD/PhD program and then go to the MD applicants pool? Are they looked upon more favorably (because they'll do research)? Or less favorably (because if they get into an MD/PhD program somewhere else they'll take it)?

Someone asked Big Red Zippo and s/he had no clue... just curious about your take on it.
I've seen a couple applications in that position and it didn't really seem to hurt them. Nor did it really help them. The committee recognizes that they will probably go elsewhere if they get the md/phd spot, but bottom line is if they are a good applicant they won't reject them just because they're likely to head elsewhere. same with people from out of state with strong ties to their home state.

EVIL06 said:
does the summer before freshmen year of college count (in regards to EC's)
and
do the committees look at an Elec Engineering major differently than say a psychology major (since one is said to be harder to maintain a high GPA in)?

thanks
1. yes although you should have current ECs as well. they supplement but should not be relied on solely. I think I even included clinical experience I had (like 700 hours!) during my jr/sr year of HS. nobody will ding you for including it.

2. yes- more towards giving people credit for a high GPA or a slight break for a modest GPA in the hard major than discrediting a high GPA in an "easy" major.

hmmm...I was never nervous for any of my interviews, but now, having an adcomm presence on SDN makes me nervous. haha. :oops:)

McMD said:
hmmm...I was never nervous for any of my interviews, but now, having an adcomm presence on SDN makes me nervous. haha. :oops:)
awwwwwwwwwww. I'm human, yo. hopefully you are too.

Yeah, I'm human, that's why I'm nervous! I'm afraid that you are the adcomm from a school I've already been accepted to and if I write anything stupid, you're going to take it away. haha.

Ok, here's a question...I can't decide which school to attend. I've narrowed it down to 2, one of which (I'll go ahead and tell you) is Tulane. The people at Tulane were the nicest, most positive people I had ever met in my life and the atmosphere was amazing! At the end of the day, I thought for sure that's where I wanted to be. But now Charity hospital is officially not re-opening. The other choice is a school that has amazing clinical exposure and as far as the academic side would be a GREAT option, but I didn't really feel like I fit in with the people and atmosphere. (Except the associate dean..he was great!)

Everyone says that when you walk into a med school, you know that place is for you or not for you...but when it comes down to it, obviously there are other factors. Any suggestions or opinions?

McMD said:
Yeah, I'm human, that's why I'm nervous! I'm afraid that you are the adcomm from a school I've already been accepted to and if I write anything stupid, you're going to take it away. haha.

Ok, here's a question...I can't decide which school to attend. I've narrowed it down to 2, one of which (I'll go ahead and tell you) is Tulane. The people at Tulane were the nicest, most positive people I had ever met in my life and the atmosphere was amazing! At the end of the day, I thought for sure that's where I wanted to be. But now Charity hospital is officially not re-opening. The other choice is a school that has amazing clinical exposure and as far as the academic side would be a GREAT option, but I didn't really feel like I fit in with the people and atmosphere. (Except the associate dean..he was great!)

Everyone says that when you walk into a med school, you know that place is for you or not for you...but when it comes down to it, obviously there are other factors. Any suggestions or opinions?

the fact that you felt so strongly about tulane should not be overlooked. people matter- faculty, classmates, etc. you will learn the same skills and pathology at every school, honestly.

check on what's still available there, even if charity isn't. I ended up doing quite a few rotations away from my home hospital even though I thought I wouldn't and the diversity of experiences have been great. I am sure you will be able to find the experience you're looking for even without one hospital here or there. listen to your heart.

Hi adcomm,

Thanks for answering all the questions. These are by far the most informative and interesting threads to read.

I had a few questions(some aren't really admissions related).

1)I've been told to keep sending letters of intent every week or so with updates of what you've been doing. But what if you have nothing to update and you don't have anymore to say about why you want to go to that school? So I guess the real question is if you stop writing LOIs, will the admissions committee take that as a sign that you've lost interest?

2)Just curious about your background. Are you a med student, resident, or faculty member? And how old are you? By the way you talk, you seem still fairly young(I'm basing that from your coolness with the juggling of balls question).

3)How does one get on an admissions committee? I'm interested in becoming a member of one in the future.

Thanks in advance.

yeah, adcomm said "yo!" Why weren't you the adcomm at any of the schools I applied to?

Hey thanks for all your help, you're the man

How often do most adcom's meet, and why do they take so long to give responses post-interview? I'm assuming they meet somewhat often (at least once every 3 or 4 weeks?) yet decisions usually take 2 to 3 months. I guess what I'm asking is, what really goes on at these meetings? Do they discuss the same applicants over mulitple meetings, or is each applicant only brought up during one meeting and a final decision is made right then and there that seals his/her fate? If they meet often, why don't they just decide on a particular applicant and then send out the decision immediately after? Why do they wait so long to send them, especially holds/rejections? Thanks

NehsNairb said:
Hi adcomm,

Thanks for answering all the questions. These are by far the most informative and interesting threads to read.

I had a few questions(some aren't really admissions related).

1)I've been told to keep sending letters of intent every week or so with updates of what you've been doing. But what if you have nothing to update and you don't have anymore to say about why you want to go to that school? So I guess the real question is if you stop writing LOIs, will the admissions committee take that as a sign that you've lost interest?

2)Just curious about your background. Are you a med student, resident, or faculty member? And how old are you? By the way you talk, you seem still fairly young(I'm basing that from your coolness with the juggling of balls question).

3)How does one get on an admissions committee? I'm interested in becoming a member of one in the future.

Thanks in advance.

every week is probably a bit much. once a month would be fine.

I am a third year med student. I am 24, although I hope to have the same "coolness" as I get older. :)

I'm sure it varies from school to school. my school held application/interviews at the end of second year and our "terms" are thoughout third and fourth year. total, there are 4 of us (2 from each class). we do not interview students, but it is easy to pick up on a lot of what goes on in interviews from the faculty stories. our votes are the same as the rest of the committee.

McMD said:
yeah, adcomm said "yo!" Why weren't you the adcomm at any of the schools I applied to?
maybe I was! :) I can tell you this- the rest of my committee is very human as well, much more than the applicants see. this means they know when you're lying, know when you're bullsh*tting, and know when you're a decent person, even if you stumble over those words. so relax.

MAC12383 said:
Hey thanks for all your help, you're the man

How often do most adcom's meet, and why do they take so long to give responses post-interview? I'm assuming they meet somewhat often (at least once every 3 or 4 weeks?) yet decisions usually take 2 to 3 months. I guess what I'm asking is, what really goes on at these meetings? Do they discuss the same applicants over mulitple meetings, or is each applicant only brought up during one meeting and a final decision is made right then and there that seals his/her fate? If they meet often, why don't they just decide on a particular applicant and then send out the decision immediately after? Why do they wait so long to send them, especially holds/rejections? Thanks
ah, I always feel bad about this. some schools may do it differently but we don't intentionally try to hold up any application. the reason that's most common is the interviewer didn't submit his/her eval by the cutoff time before the meeting, or he/she did and then subsequently was unable to attend the meeting (sometimes for a few weeks in a row) ie, not every committee member is present for every single meeting. after that the applicant is discussed once and the fate is sealed. then they have to print the letter, get it all signed and sent out, etc. occasionally there will be a special circumstance, for instance waiting on fall grades or waiting for a consult with the school's legal counsel for one reason or another. our committee meets nearly every week and we try to get them out as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.