my semi-solicited advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
adcomm said:
1. yes although you should have current ECs as well. they supplement but should not be relied on solely. I think I even included clinical experience I had (like 700 hours!) during my jr/sr year of HS. nobody will ding you for including it.

2. yes- more towards giving people credit for a high GPA or a slight break for a modest GPA in the hard major than discrediting a high GPA in an "easy" major.

wow, about including ECs from highschool...i have over 100+ hours accumulated !!! i'll make sure I include them on my app.-- those hours sure come in handy!!

i even took a class designed for those interested in the medical field (in HS)...we had clinical rotations twice a week in a particular unit of the hospital (I shadowed professionals in cardiac, OR, cath lab, ICUs, peds, laboratory, radiology, etc) along with classroom studying of medical terminology (we were offered 2 credits through a local university), career options in science (1 credit through university--an amazing class designed to introduce the many fields in science--nursing, vets, physician, academia, therapy)--I EVEN SAVED ALL COURSEWORK IN A NEAT BINDER (could i bring that to interview day?) ...it was an amazing class and this is where my interest in medicine increased!!! i wonder if i can include this class in my apps and will it prove that im really interested in becoming a physician??--most of my life experiences/distinction to become a doc came from here!!

whatever you want to say adcomm please say!!! im desperate for answers from an actual adcom member...you're really helping out people who need it most!!! I can't even express thank you in words, but I think you got the message!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

adcomm said:
1. yes although you should have current ECs as well. they supplement but should not be relied on solely. I think I even included clinical experience I had (like 700 hours!) during my jr/sr year of HS. nobody will ding you for including it.

woah, high school? really? i mean, in high school, i tutored after school for hours so that i wouldnt have to go home, and racked up over 1500 hours. (and subsequently began being treated as a free tutoring service by teachers who would send their failing students specifically to me so i could fix em. I never had a tutoree get less than a B!). ive never thought such things would be relevant. or are you just speaking of clinical stuff?

minah86 said:
How many solid EC activites is the average amount or expected (granted they are all meaningful, etc.)?

Would shadowing a doctor in Canada be viewed as if you're shadowing in the US, or would that be like 'international shadowing' (I just threw that term in there)?

That's all for now; I really appreciate your effort and time to the board.
same as in the US. international generally carries an underserved/developing nation connotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rafa said:
To bounce off minah's question, is it a good idea to use up the entire space in the AMCAS section when describing an EC?
I would say 1. something where you have a leadership position (an honor society, a cultural society) if at all possible
2. something with clinical exposure
3. something with community service
4. 2-3 other random things

if you have more and you feel they are significant, by all means include them. you do not need to fill up the entire space just for the sake of it. "shadowed 5 doctors in various specialities one afternoon/week for the entire fall semester, occasionally participating in procedures" or whatever. be complete but succinct in your descriptions. y'all can get awfully wordy when you're worried about impressing :)

MDhopeful023 said:
dear adcomm...

do you know the difference between ranked and unranked waitlists and how do adcom's decide who to take off an unranked waitlist?

thank you...
hmmm. I would say ranked means if they're the next on the list, they get the next accept. otherwise, with an unranked list, the school has the freedom to regard the waitlist pool with a little more freedom- ie, they may go back and select an applicant to invite who would have been ranked slightly lower on a pure rank by interview/numbers score, if there is something about that applicant they really find desirable. the waitlist is so funny. then there are people the committee wants to accept straight-away who are accepted after the class is filled. they have to go in there, too. I'm sorry this doesn't make more sense.

sit down lucy said:
adcomm,

many of the other posters on sdn seem to have a large number of diverse ec's. i only have a few, but i'm intensely involved in all of them. is this a good thing or a bad thing? also, is it a good thing or a bad thing if they're mostly school or science related (research, ta-ing)?

thanks!
that's fine, although I think in most cases it's important to have some kind of community service EC. it is essential to have a CLINICAL experience of some sort as well. shadowing (more than one or two days) is fine for this. imagine trying to make a case for yourself in front of the committee based on your ECs. can you back up a claim that you are committeed to serving people? that you are familiar with and committed to the medical profession?

MedicineNutt said:
(could i bring that to interview day?)

...it was an amazing class and this is where my interest in medicine increased!!! i wonder if i can include this class in my apps and will it prove that im really interested in becoming a physician??--most of my life experiences/distinction to become a doc came from here!!
1. no :)

2. absolutely. sounds like an awesome class.

Doc.Holliday said:
woah, high school? really? i mean, in high school, i tutored after school for hours so that i wouldnt have to go home, and racked up over 1500 hours. (and subsequently began being treated as a free tutoring service by teachers who would send their failing students specifically to me so i could fix em. I never had a tutoree get less than a B!). ive never thought such things would be relevant. or are you just speaking of clinical stuff?
my high school offered a class similar to medicine nutt's. the afternoon (last 2 periods) of each day both years were spent in a local university hospital. jr year was 5-10 day rotations in every area imaginable, sr year I did one semester in the ER and another in the PACU. it rocked. I think I would have been expelled for something or other without it. :)

Adcomm:

Thank you for taking the time to post here.

1) MENTION STARTING A FAMILY?
If admitted, I will be 29 and married when I start med school. Now the adcom can do the advanced-maternal-age math as well as I can: I'll be starting (or trying to start) my family during medical school. Is this something to be up-front about? Will they ask? Will they react badly if *I* ask questions about pregnancy in med school?

2) LOIs FOR DUMMIES?
I've heard bits about LOIs on this site, but never anywhere else. Web and forum searches have given only piecemeal rumor-mill stuff from other pre-meds. :confused: Can you give us "LOIs for Dummies": what are they, what are they good for, what are they NOT good for, and when should they be sent?

3) STICKY?
Can somebody sticky this thread? Repeated input from somebody who actually knows something is valuable!

Thanks
-Pemberley

Ugh! I didn't know thank you notes were expected after an interview. :( The interview went really well and I really enjoyed it, should I send out a thank you note now even though it's been over a month ago? Would an apology for the belated thank you suffice? This is my first choice school and I really want to make the best impression possible I've just never heard of sending your interviewer a thank you, none of my med school buds have ever mentioned it... but then again I never asked. :oops:

Also if I've been accepted elsewhere should I touch on that fact in my letter of intent if I'm waitlisted at my first-choice school?

Thank you so much for posting here I've found your posts to be very informative.

Pemberley said:
Adcomm:

Thank you for taking the time to post here.

1) MENTION STARTING A FAMILY?
If admitted, I will be 29 and married when I start med school. Now the adcom can do the advanced-maternal-age math as well as I can: I'll be starting (or trying to start) my family during medical school. Is this something to be up-front about? Will they ask? Will they react badly if *I* ask questions about pregnancy in med school?

2) LOIs FOR DUMMIES?
I've heard bits about LOIs on this site, but never anywhere else. Web and forum searches have given only piecemeal rumor-mill stuff from other pre-meds. :confused: Can you give us "LOIs for Dummies": what are they, what are they good for, what are they NOT good for, and when should they be sent?

3) STICKY?
Can somebody sticky this thread? Repeated input from somebody who actually knows something is valuable!

Thanks
-Pemberley
1. I don't think it's something you need to talk about. You'll hear it mentioned in residency interviews and whatnot, because there they are depending on you for actual patient care. Med schools just want to take your money, they don't care one way or another if you plan on taking time off assuming it doesn't interfere with your ability to perform academically. Plenty of people in my class had kids or are pregnant now. What would be most appropriate to ask is how leave (or family leave, if you prefer) works. You should also have this conversation with the financial aid person. It's OK to be vague (not deceptive, just not dwelling on it) and keeps the focus on your future as a doctor, not your future as a mom. I hope that's not sounding too harsh. People take all kinds of time off for all kinds of reasons! It can be done.

2. Not really. I'll update that as the season progresses if I see something make a difference. I do know that when a student expresses strong interest in the school during the interview, it factors into the admissions decision. Once waitlisted, I don't have that great of a feel for how it goes (I don't see that part as much). I think it IS appropriate to keep the office updated with transcripts, major accomplishments, and continued interest. Mentioning why you think the school is perfect for you helps, especially if the school is unique for that or prides itself on it. And, short and sweet.

3. :)

Nodelphi said:
Ugh! I didn't know thank you notes were expected after an interview. :( The interview went really well and I really enjoyed it, should I send out a thank you note now even though it's been over a month ago? Would an apology for the belated thank you suffice? This is my first choice school and I really want to make the best impression possible I've just never heard of sending your interviewer a thank you, none of my med school buds have ever mentioned it... but then again I never asked. :oops:

Also if I've been accepted elsewhere should I touch on that fact in my letter of intent if I'm waitlisted at my first-choice school?

Thank you so much for posting here I've found your posts to be very informative.
Not sending thank yous is not killer. You might consider sending something like "I wanted to thank you again for the interview blah blah. Since we spoke I have been to other schools and I feel strongly that blah blah and that's why I'd love it here." Kind of a combo LOI/TY. You could cc the admissions office.

In general, thank yous are quick to write and just nice.

adcomm said:
Not sending thank yous is not killer. You might consider sending something like "I wanted to thank you again for the interview blah blah. Since we spoke I have been to other schools and I feel strongly that blah blah and that's why I'd love it here." Kind of a combo LOI/TY. You could cc the admissions office.

In general, thank yous are quick to write and just nice.

"I technically have 2. One was freshman year (6 yrs ago) and was just alcohol consumption. the other was a senior year noise violation at my apartment in which I wasnt even there. I find writing the fact taht I wasnt there has been a no win situtation. What do I say about it?"

Hey adcomm I dont know if you missed this previous question but I was really wondering about your input on this.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
adcomm said:
1. no :)

2. absolutely. sounds like an awesome class.

thanks a lot for the response...and i won't include the hours from HS lol promise!! good luck in the upcoming admissions process...i have a few years until i actually apply!!

lol sorry if i sound like im kissing up...im really not; just explainin my situation and understading what i should be aware of in the future :)

i will stay tuned to your semi-solicited advice...

BOBODR said:
"I technically have 2. One was freshman year (6 yrs ago) and was just alcohol consumption. the other was a senior year noise violation at my apartment in which I wasnt even there. I find writing the fact taht I wasnt there has been a no win situtation. What do I say about it?"

Hey adcomm I dont know if you missed this previous question but I was really wondering about your input on this.

thanks.
sorry, I did.

how did you get an alcohol violation if you weren't present? :confused: it sounds like something you're going to want to discuss at interviews, when your interviewer presents you to the committee they will be able to skew it in their peception of "problem" vs "kids will be kids/bad luck". accept responsibility.

MedicineNutt said:
thanks a lot for the response...and i won't include the hours from HS lol promise!! good luck in the upcoming admissions process...i have a few years until i actually apply!!

lol sorry if i sound like im kissing up...im really not; just explainin my situation and understading what i should be aware of in the future :)

i will stay tuned to your semi-solicited advice...
maybe you misunderstood, or I did. I think it's fine to include the hours if they were truly clinical experience. (they should not be your ONLY clinical experience, even if it means going back and shadowing/doing stuff you already did). just don't take the binder ;)

I've always felt that my conviction carries much better actually (i.e. on the phone) instead of virtually, as it would in a letter.

Do you think letters of intent are more valuable, because a variety of adcom members could read them and they would remain in the file, or do you think a sincere phone conversation with, for example, the admissions director would be advised?

travelingmatt said:
I've always felt that my conviction carries much better actually (i.e. on the phone) instead of virtually, as it would in a letter.

Do you think letters of intent are more valuable, because a variety of adcom members could read them and they would remain in the file, or do you think a sincere phone conversation with, for example, the admissions director would be advised?
I'm not sure really. I'd say probably a good strong letter would be better, more respectful of boundaries unless you really felt a connection with whoever you'd be calling.

Thanks for all the great advice, adcomm - besides that, you seem very down to earth which is refreshing :)

How does one decide whether to list a class as BCPM or not? e.g. Neuropsychology (a class in my Neuroscience major). Also, I took a graduate course in pharmacology and physiology - would i have to include that in BCPM, even though it isn't your typical BCPM undergrad class - I did terrible! :thumbdown:

Do schools look at the courses and respective grades are is there more of a cutoff based on cumulative GPA?

thanks!

faluri said:
Thanks for all the great advice, adcomm - besides that, you seem very down to earth which is refreshing :)

How does one decide whether to list a class as BCPM or not? e.g. Neuropsychology (a class in my Neuroscience major). Also, I took a graduate course in pharmacology and physiology - would i have to include that in BCPM, even though it isn't your typical BCPM undergrad class - I did terrible! :thumbdown:

Do schools look at the courses and respective grades are is there more of a cutoff based on cumulative GPA?

thanks!
if your neuropsych was like my neuropsych and very molecular/receptor intensive, it is absolutely included. I think when I calculated my BCPM I included my slightly fluffier neuropsych class that covered visual pathways, etc, as well. certainly, no one would question it.

it's been a while since I read the rules for BCPM. I think if your grad course was taken along with your undergrad course work, you include it.

cum GPA gets considered along with MCAT when deciding who will be interviewed. it depends on the school and how closely they screen the applications to find a terrible first semester, whatever, and grant you the interview with a borderline GPA. once interviewed, if the the committee is having reservations about a borderline GPA, we absolutely pull up the transcript and look at
1. grade progression
2. performance in upper level biology courses
3. where the bad grades were and how they are grouped, and how you did on that MCAT section

adcomm,

I want you to know that we really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions and if you have time for one more...

I have read in a number of places that med school applicants tend to be a homogenous group and that one of the strategies with the PS is to show how you are unique.

I won't bog you down with all the specifics of my app but, I'm a non-traditional applicant with lots of intresting EC's and experience, but without spectacular numbers. I'm hoping to get an interview and it seems like my best bet is via an intriguing PS.

I'm a high school dropout and I was considering using that as a strategy.

No, I'm not kidding.

In the interim I've managed to get a BS and am about to finish up my MS as a PA.

My concern is that it may be one of those, "best friend, worst enemy" ,sorts of things and could go in either direction, depending upon the reader.

Any thoughts or advice?

Once again, thanks for your time.

-Mike

McMD said:
hmmm...I was never nervous for any of my interviews, but now, having an adcomm presence on SDN makes me nervous. haha. :oops:)

:laugh: :laugh:

Funny that you say that when Mr. Larkin and LizzyM been posting forever on here and they are both adcom members.

McMD said:
yeah, adcomm said "yo!" Why weren't you the adcomm at any of the schools I applied to?

:laugh: :laugh: you'd be surprised.

So recently I was talking with the new Associate Dean of Academic Enrichment and adcom member at USF COM. This lady is real real awesome. If you met her and knew nothing of her, you'd think she's 30 years old, when really she's quite a bit older. When you go in and talk to her, you would not get the impression that she's this formidable adcom member, but rather this very down to earth person who could be your advisor rather then the one who judges your fate.

I went to meet her about advice and what to do postbac or SMP. Anyhow, I was sooooooo nervous and then I met her and I couldn't believe it. I actually ended up feeling more relaxed talking with her then actual advisors. Makes you wonder.

Ok, so adcomm isn't who I originally thought they were when they said they had another usernname. However, I still don't believe that they are fake.

Why??? The advice seems very similar to the very same things that I've heard from various admissions staff at USF and other Florida medical schools during premed forums, premed workshops and so forth.

Secondly, the advice seems very genuine regardless of who adcomm is.

One final comment on that.....

Someone was debating the worth of research earlier. I would just like to point out that one thing I've learned from attending various premed forums with the different Fl. schools and some out of state schools presenting on their school's admissions policies. Each school wants something slightly different. If a school is a top tier academic mecca then it will definitely want some level of accomplishment in research because these schools generally strive to produce the future generation of leaders in research and academic medicine.

In other words, different schools have different goals. Some have goals to produce more rural physicians for underserved areas, while others have focus on research and academia. yet, others will have a goal of producing clinicians and not researchers, but not necessarily rural physicians only either.

Research the schools you are interested in and what their mission statements are. This will give you a better idea of what they are looking for in an applicant. If the admissions directors at these schools are willing to talk to you one on one, talk with them and see what they say.

A couple things I was wondering about, perhaps some canadian-u.s. lost in translation moments for adcomms.

In Canada,

1)there is no huge system of 'shadowing'. It's not done.

2)university-level sciences require the prerequisites to be completed at high-school.(only the last couple years have there been 'intro' level courses added to university curricula) which meant going back to adult high-school if changing direction.

are u.s. adcomms generally aware of these sorts of things?
i had some lost-in-translation moments, and so i'm curious.

and.... practicing as a psychotherapist, is this considered clinical by adcoms? it's certainly a healing profession, using talk therapy to work on anxiety, depression, etc. (this didn't come up in the interview for me to state like this....) however, what is the general understanding of this kind of work - how is it interpreted in an adcom?

*****edit to include heart-felt thanks for your thread, and the insight into a process that is much easier to fly with coordinates. thanks.*******************

Chronic Student said:
adcomm,

I want you to know that we really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions and if you have time for one more...

I have read in a number of places that med school applicants tend to be a homogenous group and that one of the strategies with the PS is to show how you are unique.

I won't bog you down with all the specifics of my app but, I'm a non-traditional applicant with lots of intresting EC's and experience, but without spectacular numbers. I'm hoping to get an interview and it seems like my best bet is via an intriguing PS.

No, I'm not kidding.

In the interim I've managed to get a BS and am about to finish up my MS as a PA.

My concern is that it may be one of those, "best friend, worst enemy" ,sorts of things and could go in either direction, depending upon the reader.

Any thoughts or advice?

Once again, thanks for your time.

-Mike

dicey, and I think you know it. if you have other cool stuff to talk about, emphasize that. while I personally would find it interesting, it would ruffle some people the wrong way :(

4paw said:
A couple things I was wondering about, perhaps some canadian-u.s. lost in translation moments for adcomms.

In Canada,

1)there is no huge system of 'shadowing'. It's not done.

2)university-level sciences require the prerequisites to be completed at high-school.(only the last couple years have there been 'intro' level courses added to university curricula) which meant going back to adult high-school if changing direction.

are u.s. adcomms generally aware of these sorts of things?
i had some lost-in-translation moments, and so i'm curious.

and.... practicing as a psychotherapist, is this considered clinical by adcoms? it's certainly a healing profession, using talk therapy to work on anxiety, depression, etc. (this didn't come up in the interview for me to state like this....) however, what is the general understanding of this kind of work - how is it interpreted in an adcom?

*****edit to include heart-felt thanks for your thread, and the insight into a process that is much easier to fly with coordinates. thanks.*******************
nobody ever tags along with a doctor for career day? that's all shadowing is. people shadow all professions.

no, I wasn't aware of that. I also haven't seen any canadian applicants get presented. I would say most don't know it unless they've been doing it for a long time, or it's a school popular w/canadians.

it's definitely a plus, and I hope you mentioned healing/talk therapy etc in your personal statement. what you want to do is emphasize what made you switch- you already had a perfectly good career. also, you should be able to demonstrate a fair amount of clinical hours- they want to see that you know what the blood and guts is like.

adcomm said:
dicey, and I think you know it. if you have other cool stuff to talk about, emphasize that. while I personally would find it interesting, it would ruffle some people the wrong way :(

Yeah, I know! I was hoping the ballsy approach might pay off. I guess it comes down to risk > reward.

Thanks again for your time.

-Mike

thanks for all your help. i had a bad semester due to post-partum depression (was pregnant at the time, but it started during pregnancy) but I didn't think depression would be accepted as a valid excuse, so is it better to just put in my PS I was irresponsible and have matured since then? That's what I'm planning at this point... Thanks a lot

ETA: Also, I own a home and am married and have a family here in my hometown and I'm wondering how much the local school will take that into consideration?

MiesVanDerMom said:
thanks for all your help. i had a bad semester due to post-partum depression (was pregnant at the time, but it started during pregnancy) but I didn't think depression would be accepted as a valid excuse, so is it better to just put in my PS I was irresponsible and have matured since then? That's what I'm planning at this point... Thanks a lot

ETA: Also, I own a home and am married and have a family here in my hometown and I'm wondering how much the local school will take that into consideration?
you weren't irresponsible. you had personal issues. you don't have to go into gory detail and make them worry about your current/future state of mental health, but everyone is entitled to an episode or two of major depression. nothing to be ashamed of, and saying you just slacked off looks even worse.

they'll know you'll be likely to come because of that. tell them that's part of the reason you want to come, too. if they like you at interview, it will help you get accepted instead of just waitlisted, from what i can tell.

Chronic Student said:

No, I'm not kidding.

I have a sibling who recently quit high school. He'll probably be the next Bill Gates.

Just wanted to share some high school dropout love :)

say you are a great applicant (great GPA, MCAT, clincial experience), how much does a minor freshman year dorm conduct violation of definetely THE PAST hurt your chances?

rajad10 said:
say you are a great applicant (great GPA, MCAT, clincial experience), how much does a minor freshman year dorm conduct violation of definetely THE PAST hurt your chances?
not really much at all.

so you're saying that I shouldn't be afraid to put it on my AMCAS

rajad10 said:
so you're saying that I shouldn't be afraid to put it on my AMCAS
does amcas require the reporting of internal university violations that don't result in any kind of action? if it's just like a dorm punishment and not on your university record, you might not be required to. that would be happy.

Risa said:
I have a sibling who recently quit high school. He'll probably be the next Bill Gates.

Just wanted to share some high school dropout love :)

Thanks, I always need L-O-V-E :love:

-Mike

This is great! I thought I'd solicit your advice since I'm at the beginning of this whole process. I'm 25, having graduated in 2003 with a 3.6 in Philosophy and absolutely no Pre-Req's. For the past 3 years I've been a successful actor out here in LA, but have decided that I want to do something that is actually socially redemptive with my time/brain. I quit show business and currently work with Autistic children and volunteer at UCLA and Cedar's and I LOVE IT...and, now, have decided to go get a Post-bacc so that I can apply to Med school. What do you think would be the best for me (1) go into a full-time, one year program, or (2) go into a part-time program so that I can spend the other time continuing to work with the kids and continue to volunteer and perhaps find a research position (money doesn't factor in in the equation...yet)?
I've spent this long out of school, that although I initially had the itch to drop everything and just get all the classes out of the way quickly, all I really want to do is become as competent and prepared as I can possible become before I apply (so if that takes an extra year, than it takes the extra year). Also any other hints as to what others have done when starting from scratch as a non-trad would be helpful.
Thanks so much for your time and sense of humour. The thing that I find the most startling after reading all these threads is that doctor's take themselves a lot less seriously than actors do. HAH!

delempicka said:
This is great! I thought I'd solicit your advice since I'm at the beginning of this whole process. I'm 25, having graduated in 2003 with a 3.6 in Philosophy and absolutely no Pre-Req's. For the past 3 years I've been a successful actor out here in LA, but have decided that I want to do something that is actually socially redemptive with my time/brain. I quit show business and currently work with Autistic children and volunteer at UCLA and Cedar's and I LOVE IT...and, now, have decided to go get a Post-bacc so that I can apply to Med school. What do you think would be the best for me (1) go into a full-time, one year program, or (2) go into a part-time program so that I can spend the other time continuing to work with the kids and continue to volunteer and perhaps find a research position (money doesn't factor in in the equation...yet)?
I've spent this long out of school, that although I initially had the itch to drop everything and just get all the classes out of the way quickly, all I really want to do is become as competent and prepared as I can possible become before I apply (so if that takes an extra year, than it takes the extra year). Also any other hints as to what others have done when starting from scratch as a non-trad would be helpful.
Thanks so much for your time and sense of humour. The thing that I find the most startling after reading all these threads is that doctor's take themselves a lot less seriously than actors do. HAH!

Hey I know you wanted adcomm's advice, but with no prereqs, one of the options you could look into are doing a formal postbac program which has a linkage program that would allow you to possibly get direct acceptance into a school. For more info on various types of postbacs, you can look on the aamc webpage.

http://www.aamc.org

Oh and REL or LizzyM please feel free to contribute to this thread. It would be interesting to hear your perspectives too. :p

delempicka said:
well, one thing I'd consider is that you've been out of the classroom for a while, and VERY far removed from science courses, from what I can tell. for this reason I would suggest the part time program, so you will have more time to study each subject. as a nontrad, it is wise to rock your postbacc. it will be impressive to have balanced that and a job/volunteer position, too. plus, if you go BTTW it'll be like having 5 years of med school... 3 years of basic science nonstop....agh. talk to the people at your postbacc programs, too.

adcomm said:
well, one thing I'd consider is that you've been out of the classroom for a while, and VERY far removed from science courses, from what I can tell. for this reason I would suggest the part time program, so you will have more time to study each subject. as a nontrad, it is wise to rock your postbacc. it will be impressive to have balanced that and a job/volunteer position, too. plus, if you go BTTW it'll be like having 5 years of med school... 3 years of basic science nonstop....agh. talk to the people at your postbacc programs, too.

Plus, how successful of an actor are we talking about here? Like someone we would have heard of? I'd think that'd definitely get you in (or do you think Julia Stiles and Natalie Portman really earned their way into the Ivies?).

im a pre-med freshmen...

I recently earned a job to work at the hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy technician...i dont know if the adcom's consider this actual clinical experience. My idea on working in the pharmacy is to gain knowledge of different kinds of medicine to treat patients--this knowledge will be very important when i am prescribing medicine as a "doctor."

My real questions are is pharmacy tech considered clinical (if in the hospital)?? and what do you suggest me to do if it isnt...a lot of people suggested volunteering, but i dont even know where to start!! thanks adcomm and good luck in the coming admissions season

adcom,
i cant believe sdn is lucky enough to have u for ur valuable insights. !!! so thank you.
Here's my situation.
am applying for f'06 and have been waitlisted at my top choice and am waiting to hear back postinterview from one other school. (remaining all 10 rejects.)
The waitlist letter says please send any additional transcripts and LOI. My last semester was a disaster and my gpa dropped from 3.7(at time of amcas app ) to 3.63. Also, last semester I took my remaining prereq classes (chem 2 and chem 1 lab) and got a B in chem 2 ( like i said, it was a disasterous semester).
However, this semester am taking 20 credit hrs , (an attemp for redemption) and am doing good in all my classes.

I plan to send an LOI, paraphrasing my PS and ec updates.
So heres my question:
My school has this prestigious scholarship of which I am a recepient, and the office of insitutional advancement sends a letter about my profile,(they send letters of other scholars too), to potential donors to encourage more endowment. I see this has a huge selling point for me (the school using my .
name to attract investors..)...please dispel any false notions I might have.

should i send the above letter to adcoms at my waitlist school?
should i send my transcripts at the end of this semester (adding a note in my LOI that transcripts will be sent at end of semester) cos I am confident my grades will improve?

o'yea almost forgot. i am international student. and will need to reapply for visa and in my country visa appt. dates are already filled till august. so the timing of the medschool's decision is pretty important. should i mention this and how do i do all the above without sounding demanding/arrogant/stupid/needy/pyschotic.....:)

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice.

2Xtrouble2X said:
im a pre-med freshmen...

I recently earned a job to work at the hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy technician...i dont know if the adcom's consider this actual clinical experience. My idea on working in the pharmacy is to gain knowledge of different kinds of medicine to treat patients--this knowledge will be very important when i am prescribing medicine as a "doctor."

My real questions are is pharmacy tech considered clinical (if in the hospital)?? and what do you suggest me to do if it isnt...a lot of people suggested volunteering, but i dont even know where to start!! thanks adcomm and good luck in the coming admissions season
nope, that won't cut it.

walk into your local hospital and ask for the volunteer department. they all have one, and if you talk to the director you might get some time in the ER or kids ward, both of which are good volunteer spots. you can also ask your doctor/your nephew's pediatrician/whoever if you could come to work with them someday to see what they do, since you're interested in medicine. most should be willing to help you. :)

Indude said:
adcom,
i cant believe sdn is lucky enough to have u for ur valuable insights. !!! so thank you.
Here's my situation.
am applying for f'06 and have been waitlisted at my top choice and am waiting to hear back postinterview from one other school. (remaining all 10 rejects.)
The waitlist letter says please send any additional transcripts and LOI. My last semester was a disaster and my gpa dropped from 3.7(at time of amcas app ) to 3.63. Also, last semester I took my remaining prereq classes (chem 2 and chem 1 lab) and got a B in chem 2 ( like i said, it was a disasterous semester).
However, this semester am taking 20 credit hrs , (an attemp for redemption) and am doing good in all my classes.

I plan to send an LOI, paraphrasing my PS and ec updates.
So heres my question:
My school has this prestigious scholarship of which I am a recepient, and the office of insitutional advancement sends a letter about my profile,(they send letters of other scholars too), to potential donors to encourage more endowment. I see this has a huge selling point for me (the school using my .
name to attract investors..)...please dispel any false notions I might have.

should i send the above letter to adcoms at my waitlist school?
should i send my transcripts at the end of this semester (adding a note in my LOI that transcripts will be sent at end of semester) cos I am confident my grades will improve?

o'yea almost forgot. i am international student. and will need to reapply for visa and in my country visa appt. dates are already filled till august. so the timing of the medschool's decision is pretty important. should i mention this and how do i do all the above without sounding demanding/arrogant/stupid/needy/pyschotic.....:)

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice.

agh. I don't have a ton of experience with your circumstances, but let's see what we can do. are the courses you took pre-reqs for the school? if so, sorry, but you will need to send those. they will not admit you without documentation of your prereqs. I'm not sure what knocked your GPA down so much, but if it's upper-level science they're going to frown. I really don't think you have a choice though. Write a nice letter of interest. Talk about what you're taking this semester, and how you're doing. Spin whatever happened last semester quietly.

I wouldn't send that letter. It's not really the draw it might seem to be, although congrats. I'm assuming you talked about the scholarship in your app.

as for the international situation, that sucks, but begging isn't really going to speed up the process. if it was my school, I might have you call the director of admissions affairs (non-MD, not the dean of admissions). tactfully explain your situation, and ask if they have any suggestions for you or if they've ever had applicants in this position before. even better if you're in the same city and could go there in person.

that's all I got. sorry.

adcomm said:
nope, that won't cut it.

walk into your local hospital and ask for the volunteer department. they all have one, and if you talk to the director you might get some time in the ER or kids ward, both of which are good volunteer spots. you can also ask your doctor/your nephew's pediatrician/whoever if you could come to work with them someday to see what they do, since you're interested in medicine. most should be willing to help you. :)

cool cool...my neighbor is some kind of physician, but i dont know her well enough lol the approach is gonna be nervewracking...can volunteering easily be substituted for shadowing? how much volunteering will suffice?

2Xtrouble2X said:
cool cool...my neighbor is some kind of physician, but i dont know her well enough lol the approach is gonna be nervewracking...can volunteering easily be substituted for shadowing? how much volunteering will suffice?

Don't be afraid to ask a doctor if you can shadow them. The worst they can say is no. The one I asked really seemed to enjoy it although we were both a little unsure of the arrangement in the beginning. He'd never had someone shadow him before and we were both a little nervous. By the end though he really enjoyed having someone there to teach. He had me rounding with him, presenting patients, dressing wounds, the whole nine yards, it was a blast for both of us. :thumbup:

2Xtrouble2X said:
knock, knock.
"hi, I'm trouble and I live next door. I'm thinking about applying to medical school and I was wondering if there'd ever be a day I might be able to go to work with you and kind of get a feel for what it's like"

then, dress professionally. simple. doctors are (mostly) decent human beings. she probably asked someone when she was your age. it's tough to remember sometimes that even when you're premed/med you're part of that cool kids club, and they're willing to do things to help you out. :)

adcomm said:
knock, knock.
"hi, I'm trouble and I live next door. I'm thinking about applying to medical school and I was wondering if there'd ever be a day I might be able to go to work with you and kind of get a feel for what it's like"

then, dress professionally. simple. doctors are (mostly) decent human beings. she probably asked someone when she was your age. it's tough to remember sometimes that even when you're premed/med you're part of that cool kids club, and they're willing to do things to help you out. :)

A few ways to get clinical experiences are....medical mission trips if you feel its safe enough, EMT-B/PCT/phlebotomy/CNA licenses, anything of that nature.

Other then that, as far as volunteering goes, you could volunteer in a free clinic doing things like reading to children in waiting rooms or in the SICU waiting rooms and what not. I'd consider doing some shadowing in your position as well.

thanks a lot everyone...it's nice to see that many people are caring these days !!! this is help i never knew existed...btw im going to my neighbors home today to see whats happening hahaha...thanks again

adcomm, I have the choice of working with at risk children from the inner city as a research assistant at a well known city family center, or can do summer psych research at a surp or reu. Which do you think would be more beneficial. I am EQUALLY interestd in both

Status
Not open for further replies.