Waitlisted from NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonUD

PGY-I
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's official, I am the first person to not get into NYCOM after a January interview. Anyone have any stats on what percentage of waitlisted candidates recieve an offer for admissions? Here's my letter if anyone's interested:

Dear Loser,

I am writing to bring you up to date on the status of your application to New York College of Osteopathic Medicine's 2006 entering class.

Our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our Wait List of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class. Please indicate your interest in remaining on our Wait List by returning the enclosed responce form. Be sure to include a telephone number and address where you may be reached now and throughout the summer.

Please refrain from calling the Office of Admissions to check the status of your application. You will be notified immediately if you are accepted. It has been our experience that applicants are typically accepted from the Wait List during the summer months.

Should you be accepted by another medical school or wish to withdraw your name from our Wait List, please contact us immediately by letter or fax.

Sincerely,
Rodika Zaika
Director of Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry dude. I released my seat and I know a bunch of others who have so I hope you get one.

:eek: Oh man, I thought you'd get accepted for sure since you're from LI. Sorry bro :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man. I'll send some good vibes your way. Hopefully you will get off the waitlist. :thumbup: :thumbup:

JasonUD said:
It's official, I am the first person to not get into NYCOM after a January interview. Anyone have any stats on what percentage of waitlisted candidates recieve an offer for admissions? Here's my letter if anyone's interested...

Hey, atleast you give us 20 MCATers some hope.

Sorry Jason. Don't worry, you are still very early and prob highest on the list. For the rest of you, may be you guys want to join the JasonUD letter campaign and write to NYCOM in support of his application. Help change the world one premed at a time.

Timbo0984 said:
Sorry Jason. Don't worry, you are still very early and prob highest on the list. For the rest of you, may be you guys want to join the JasonUD letter campaign and write to NYCOM in support of his application. Help change the world one premed at a time.

Hey I'll join that campaign too! As I am another low MCATer, I will tell the adcom that another needs to be admitted ASAP.

Jason, don't lose hope, a waitlist is better than a rejection and I'm sure you are high on their list. People have said before that people get off their waitlist. As far as the exact % I'm unsure but hopefully they will use it.

Good luck partner. I would not send in a letter until you found out more info on when they open the waitlist. Also it would be good to have a legit reason to talk to someone in a couple of months to see if they received your letter.

In the meantime if you did not have a DO letter send one in, send in updates on coursework, additional LORs, etc. Not sure how much this helps if at all but at least you'll feel like you have some control of the process.

I've done many searches on the NYCOM waitlist and I have not found anything interesting on SDN.

don't worry dude. it's only february. 90% you'll get in. i will likely give up my spot too.

I gave up my spot and so did my friend. Good luck!

Thanks for all your well wishes guys! I was really upset when I read waitlisted because when I was applying for undergrad I got deferred and then rejected from my top choice school so this just seemed like it was happening to me again at my top choice school. Since it's still early in the game I don't think my chances are zilch, like timbo said. I'm going to call Rodika Zaika tomorrow to find out how exactly the waitlist process works and I'll post what I find out.

I had always thought that NYCOM didn't tell you until may that you're waitlisted so this was even more of a shock. Anyone hear of anyone else being waitlisted this early in the game for NYCOM?

Taryn Croot is the Assoc Director of admissions. You can try getting in touch with her as well.

JasonUD said:
Thanks for all your well wishes guys! I was really upset when I read waitlisted because when I was applying for undergrad I got deferred and then rejected from my top choice school so this just seemed like it was happening to me again at my top choice school. Since it's still early in the game I don't think my chances are zilch, like timbo said. I'm going to call Rodika Zaika tomorrow to find out how exactly the waitlist process works and I'll post what I find out.

I had always thought that NYCOM didn't tell you until may that you're waitlisted so this was even more of a shock. Anyone hear of anyone else being waitlisted this early in the game for NYCOM?

from a fellow long islander, sorry and good luck....hopefully a lot of people will be giving up their seats and you'll get in

what were your stats by the way?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi

i am so sorry... seriously, many peeople pay the deposit and then pull out... so i am sure thing will go your way.. just stay positive!!!

Ok I just called Ms. Croot and talked to her about the waitlist. She said it is normal to take people this early. I asked this because I read somewhere on here that they don't waitlist until may but that's not true. There is only one waitlist of under 100 people. I asked if I could know where on the waitlist I stand and she said they're not allowed to give out that info. She said only very strong applicants are placed on it so I'm still in good shape. People are taken off of it up to the day before the last class. Last year they didn't take anyone off of it, but the year before they got to number 30. She also said if I'm not accepted from the waitlist there will be no notification. If I asked her if there is anything I can do now to make my application stronger she said no other than sending in a letter of intent.

That's all I got, hope it helps someone who is in similar circumstances as I am! Keep giving up those NYCOM seats so I can go!! :D

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

I just talked to Ms. Croot again yesterday and got some more info, but not much. There is an internal ranking system for how they take people off the list, but she wouldn't tell me what criteria its based upon.

I see 1 other person has been waitlisted thus far, anyone else??

I spoke to Ms Croot during the Open House and asked about the system for determining interviews. She lost patience with me after my second question. She must like you. :)

Is it true that NYCOM accepts only NY residents?

Thanks.

HunterGatherer said:
I spoke to Ms Croot during the Open House and asked about the system for determining interviews. She lost patience with me after my second question. She must like you. :)

Haha I work my charm as needed :D

As for NYCOM only accepting NY residents, that's definately not true. During my interview there were people from NJ there and even a girl from Canada.

Packamylase said:
Is it true that NYCOM accepts only NY residents?

Thanks.
Accepted NJ resident here.

PlasticMan said:
Accepted NJ resident here.

and an accepted (and going!) CA resident here.

good luck jason!

I interviewed back in the beginning of January (the first week) and it took them 11 weeks to send me a letter saying I was waitlisted. They kept giving me the run around! The good news is I just found out that I got into OUCOM :D Good luck!

Does anyone know if NYCOM is still interviewing? If so, where are they in their cycle?

Timbo0984 said:

hahaha ill pitch in if you start a campaign for me for PCOM, and for jezzielin for LECOM

SPeaking of NYCOM....I interviewed by in mid february and still have not heard anything, it's been ...I guess 2 months, what the heck? I called and the lady i get is always very nice but tells me that no decision has been made, is this bad news? I wish they would just let me know either ways, anyone in thsi situation too?

elinz said:
SPeaking of NYCOM....I interviewed by in mid february and still have not heard anything, it's been ...I guess 2 months, what the heck? I called and the lady i get is always very nice but tells me that no decision has been made, is this bad news? I wish they would just let me know either ways, anyone in thsi situation too?

That's pretty crazy! Before I was waitlisted I had heard that if NYCOM decides to waitlist you they don't tell you until May, but I threw this theory away when I heard in the middle of February. Maybe its true and you got waitlisted and you'll hear in May?? But then I don't know why they'd tell me in Feb. and make you wait. I would call Taryn Croot, she is the Assistant Director of Admissions and she has been helpful to me. She may not be able to tell you anything but she probably can tell you more than the secrateries that answer the phone can. Her number is on the NYIT site so search google for it. Good luck!

same story here. I interviewed in the beginning og march and no decision has been made yet. The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope is that when I call all the secretaries tell me that no letters have been sent out for a while. This is completely outrageous there is no reason it should take this long.

accepted Massachusetts resident here accepted within 5 days of interview.

I had the same problem, took me about 2 months to hear a response, only to find out I was waitlisted. I wonder why some people are getting a waitlist response relatively quickly (less than 3-4 weeks) while for others it takes longer. Does it have anything to do with waitlist positioning? In calling NYCOM I was surprised to hear they don't tell you anything at all about positioning (at least upper half/lower half type of thing).

DODODObird said:
accepted Massachusetts resident here accepted within 5 days of interview.

If you don't mind me asking, when approximately did you interview?

cooperS said:
I had the same problem, took me about 2 months to hear a response, only to find out I was waitlisted. I wonder why some people are getting a waitlist response relatively quickly (less than 3-4 weeks) while for others it takes longer. Does it have anything to do with waitlist positioning? In calling NYCOM I was surprised to hear they don't tell you anything at all about positioning (at least upper half/lower half type of thing).

Same question here, when did you interview?

Guys, it took NYCOM 4 months to respond to me so you shouldn't get so worried about not hearing from them. I hope I see you guys there.

31 MCAT 3.73 GPA & Biochemistry major. 1 yr. hospital volunteering. But I didn't get a DO letter of recommendation though. I think they thought I was above them and wouldn't take the acceptance, so they waited until a spot opened or something. ?????

I interviewed on March 9th, morning interview. My letter was sent out the next day. I know this because I wanted to send an additional letter of rec. in and they said a decision has already been made. I also noticed, though, when you are standing in line to check in, they have a points system, All i could make out was 100%. But a question I also saw points on was motivation and most likely to practice primary care

yanky5 said:
31 MCAT 3.73 GPA & Biochemistry major. 1 yr. hospital volunteering.

Slacker.

figured i'd revive this thread and join jasonUD at the same time :)
i am on the waiting list at NYCOM but curiously i am missing the last 2 paragraphs from my waitlist letter and instead it has been replaced by:
"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I congratulate you on your decision to pursue a career in medicine and encourage your continuing interest in our college."

maybe i'm just a wee bit bitter, but why not congratulate my decision when i first applied to your school?! gimme some new encouraging words at the end of this process!! :laugh:
and so i wait.....and wish for :luck:

I also am a proud member of the NYCOM waitlist. My letter was the same as Jason's. Maybe your letter was different because of the alleged ranked waitlist. Which could mean you're better off, worse off, or they just want to screw with our heads. I vote for door #3 . . . Here's to reapplying!

Can you guys post your stats and when you applied? i'm just nervous :scared: and wondering what scores i should bother applying with or whether to retake MCAT in Aug. Good luck and hoping for a good outcome for you all :)

pmasque said:
i am on the waiting list at NYCOM but curiously i am missing the last 2 paragraphs from my waitlist letter and instead it has been replaced by:
"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I congratulate you on your decision to pursue a career in medicine and encourage your continuing interest in our college."

When did you get waitlisted? I've been on it since the middle of February so maybe the "do not call us" and "we take people off in the summer" paragraph is there so I wouldn't harrass them so early on while they were still in the first half of interviews. Anyway, welcome to the club guys! Doesn't it suck?? Haha

it's all a blur :p , i took the MCAT 3 times, last score was 28N (improvement from my 25O/M)
cumulative undergrad GPA (since i did a postbac and it's included) is 3.24
my grad GPA is a 3.79
as for time line.....i had a prob with one school submitting transcripts to aacomas so i suggest you do that ASAP, like....NOW so months down the road, you're not like-WTF why am i not complete yet??
check up on aacomas and bother the school(s) to send them in....every week (i'm sure i was a favorite). i think aacomas was finally complete in november (yeah waiting for transcripts-otherwise i woulda been done in august) and got the invite from nycom in....march? for april interview. got waitlisted mid may (just 2 days ago).
hope that info helps!

pandoraML, curious to when you got the letter?
jason, maybe you're right, so does that mean i can now start calling them daily and it won't be a bother? hehehe :smuggrin:
this is a great club, i have 3 waitlists--that's 3x more than last year! lol
i'm just trying to keep my humor, saturday sucked when i got 2 letters (one waitlist and one rejection). ok so "sucked" is an understatement.
just wish i knew whether i'm going somewhere or have develop a plan B for this upcoming year....anyone care to join me in Peru? i'd like to start my own clinic but think i'm tad bit underqualified right now ;)

I got my letter May 10th. I did end up applying late due to non-existent "account" problems, and my interview was the last week in March. As far as "plan B" is concerned, I have already put it into effect: signed a lease, re-wrote my ps, etc. etc. I don't work well with the unknown :oops: But you have to know if I get THE CALL - I'll be packed and in NY before you can say, "Congratulations."

Did anyone recieve an acceptance letter? It sounds like all they sent out were waitlists. Does anyone know of people who got accepted from the last round of interviews? Someone anyone? I dont want to give up hope yet. Nor do i want to retake the MCAT.

The MCAT is the ban of my existence.

I called NYCOM today to ask why there were two different letters sent out to wait listers. I explained exactly what was written on both letters and the person who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about. She was unaware that there were different letters, in fact she thought I was talking at first about the current letter crisis which deals with a letter being sent out that tells applicants that they are both matriculating into the class of 2006 and being wait listed (anyone get that one?). She told me, despite not knowing about the different letters, they were NOT indicative of different lists as there is only one waiting list. She did say though that they will internally rank the wait list but that does not take place until July so there should be no confusion as to the letters being a sign of where you stand on the list.

I do find the two different letters intersting myself, however I guess we should not read into them. If anyone hears anything else regarding it please post, but for now I am guessing its just a mind game :confused: and not much else!

has anyone else out there not heard anything post-interview? I interviewed at the end of March and am still waiting. What's their deal?

JasonUD said:
It's official, I am the first person to not get into NYCOM after a January interview. Anyone have any stats on what percentage of waitlisted candidates recieve an offer for admissions? Here's my letter if anyone's interested:

Dear Loser,

I am writing to bring you up to date on the status of your application to New York College of Osteopathic Medicine's 2006 entering class.

Our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our Wait List of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class. Please indicate your interest in remaining on our Wait List by returning the enclosed responce form. Be sure to include a telephone number and address where you may be reached now and throughout the summer.

Please refrain from calling the Office of Admissions to check the status of your application. You will be notified immediately if you are accepted. It has been our experience that applicants are typically accepted from the Wait List during the summer months.

Should you be accepted by another medical school or wish to withdraw your name from our Wait List, please contact us immediately by letter or fax.

Sincerely,
Rodika Zaika
Director of Admissions

Best of luck dude!

YogaBear said:
I called NYCOM today to ask why there were two different letters sent out to wait listers. I explained exactly what was written on both letters and the person who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about. She was unaware that there were different letters, in fact she thought I was talking at first about the current letter crisis which deals with a letter being sent out that tells applicants that they are both matriculating into the class of 2006 and being wait listed (anyone get that one?). She told me, despite not knowing about the different letters, they were NOT indicative of different lists as there is only one waiting list. She did say though that they will internally rank the wait list but that does not take place until July so there should be no confusion as to the letters being a sign of where you stand on the list.

I do find the two different letters intersting myself, however I guess we should not read into them. If anyone hears anything else regarding it please post, but for now I am guessing its just a mind game :confused: and not much else!

haha, yes i know exactly what she is talking about since i received both a waitlist letter and and an acceptance for enrollment/withdrawal form (rather than a accpetance for the waitlist/withdrawal form). i figured it was an administrative mistake, and when i called today-it was confirmed, a mistake. person sent out wrong forms with the letters, alas, i have not been given a place in the incoming class (yet) but i am still waitlisted.

as for the difference in letters, maybe after a certain date they leave off the "don't bother us til the summer you punks," which is my best guess.

ok, now to really finish that presentation.... :rolleyes: