Tooth Enamel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does tooth enamel ever grow back if you loose it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
Seriously ???:confused:

yes, thats why i get my ass kicked if i take out too much enamel during a restoration. Its all about conservative dentistry.

NRAI2001 said:
Does tooth enamel ever grow back if you loose it?

no, ameloblasts (the cells that create enamel) are lost after erruption. however dentinoblasts (cells that make dentin) hang in there and keep producing dentin

superchris147 said:
no, ameloblasts (the cells that create enamel) are lost after erruption. however dentinoblasts (cells that make dentin) hang in there and keep producing dentin

What is dentin?

NRAI2001 said:
What is dentin?

Teeth are like onions...lol. Seriously, the outer layer of the crown is the enamel (about 2 to 3 mm thick). Then, under the enamel, you have dentin (a slightly softer and more organic material). Beneath the dentin, you have the pulp. On the root, you have a thin layer of material called cementum but no enamel. And below the cementum, you have dentin and then pulp. Enamel and cementum don't grow back if you chip out a chunk or use your handpiece and drill out a portion of the tooth. But, enamel can remineralize. So, if a patient has a demineralized (pre-carious lesion) in their enamel, that enamel can be remineralized if the patient uses some fluoride and practices some good oral hygiene.

JavadiCavity said:
Teeth are like onions...lol. Seriously, the outer layer of the crown is the enamel (about 2 to 3 mm thick). Then, under the enamel, you have dentin (a slightly softer and more organic material). Beneath the dentin, you have the pulp. On the root, you have a thin layer of material called cementum but no enamel. And below the cementum, you have dentin and then pulp. Enamel and cementum don't grow back if you chip out a chunk or use your handpiece and drill out a portion of the tooth. But, enamel can remineralize. So, if a patient has a demineralized (pre-carious lesion) in their enamel, that enamel can be remineralized if the patient uses some fluoride and practices some good oral hygiene.

So it can grow back? Is remineralizing different than the enamel itself growing back?

NRAI2001 said:
So it can grow back? Is remineralizing different than the enamel itself growing back?

Remineralization is not the same thing as enamel growing back. Basically, remineralization of enamel means that the enamel is getting stronger. When enamel is weak, the chances of getting decay increase. Therefore, substances like fluoride help the remineralization process (strengthening) of enamel, which will make it less susceptible to decay.

Rezdawg said:
Remineralization is not the same thing as enamel growing back. Basically, remineralization of enamel means that the enamel is getting stronger. When enamel is weak, the chances of getting decay increase. Therefore, substances like fluoride help the remineralization process (strengthening) of enamel, which will make it less susceptible to decay.

Sounds like the same thing to me :confused: :confused:

Are you saying that if enamel was totally lost, then it would not grow back.....but if some of it still exists it can restrengthen itself?

NRAI2001 said:

Are you saying that if enamel was totally lost, then it would not grow back.....but if some of it still exists it can restrengthen itself?

If you chip your enamel...that area will be lost forever...it will not regenerate itself to its original size. Remineralization doesnt mean its growing back. It means that the enamel that is remaining is getting stronger. There is no growth of enamel involved. Basically, enamel can become hardened through remineralization,

Rezdawg said:
If you chip your enamel...that area will be lost forever...it will not regenerate itself to its original size. Remineralization doesnt mean its growing back. It means that the enamel that is remaining is getting stronger. There is no growth of enamel involved. Basically, enamel can become hardened through remineralization,

rezdawg, i can't believe we're actually learning things in school :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:

You are right... as long as there are no holes big enough to be seen without an electron microscope.

Your enamel is almost entirely mineral. A small percentage of those minerals are exchanged on a daily basis.

Acidic foods and acid from bacteria slowly dissolve some of the minerals out of your enamel everyday. But those minerals are quickly replaced by minerals and enzymes in your saliva. When the acids begin to dissolve mineral more quickly than your saliva can replace it you get a cavity.

Remineralization is a dynamic process that goes on every day at a microscopic level. But regrowth of enamel does not happen. The cells that create enamel are dead before the tooth can even be seen in the mouth.

mmm....

Nevermind my last post, I think Rezdawg explainied it better.

12YearOldKid said:
You are right... as long as there are no holes big enough to be seen without an electron microscope.

Your enamel is almost entirely mineral. A small percentage of those minerals are exchanged on a daily basis.

Acidic foods and acid from bacteria slowly dissolve some of the minerals out of your enamel everyday. But those minerals are quickly replaced by minerals and enzymes in your saliva. When the acids begin to dissolve mineral more quickly than your saliva can replace it you get a cavity.

Remineralization is a dynamic process that goes on every day at a microscopic level. But regrowth of enamel does not happen. The cells that create enamel are dead before the tooth can even be seen in the mouth.

I think i understand now.

So if you have enamel loss or demineralization through bad diet or whatever you can reverse the effects?

NRAI2001 said:
I think i understand now.

So if you have enamel loss or demineralization through bad diet or whatever you can reverse the effects?

NON NONONONONONONONONONONONO

If you have enamel loss then you can never get it back. That it was is considered a cavitated lesion. It must be fixed surgically

When you have demineralization (which doesn't necessarily correlate to enamel loss but leads to it) but no enamel loss you get what can be called an incipient lesion. These lesions appear chalky white (although since i'm not in clinic i've only seen pictures of them and that's what our teachers have shown us) and can be remineralized.

The battle between your teeth and bacteria in you mouth is a dynamic process. Fermentable carbohydrates (aka food in your mouth) are turned into acids by bacteria. Therefore the production of acid in your mouth is dependent on duration of food intake, frequency, diet, genetic factors, etc. Too much acid leads to demineralization of enamel and if you don't raise the pH in your mouth then it'll lead to enamel loss and you can't get that enamel back.

You will definitely learn more about this topic in dental school

superchris147 said:
You will definitely learn more about this topic in dental school
Is this guy going to dental school? He sounds like he was told by a dentist that he has some small cavities, and he's hoping that he can let the enamel grow back so he doesn't have to pay for the restorations...

OMFSCardsFan said:
Is this guy going to dental school? He sounds like he was told by a dentist that he has some small cavities, and he's hoping that he can let the enamel grow back so he doesn't have to pay for the restorations...

I m not going to dental school. Plan to go to med school next year (or the year after depending on how things work out).

NRAI2001 said:
I m not going to dental school. Plan to go to med school next year (or the year after depending on how things work out).

I'm glad that you're not going to dental school - wouldn't want you as my classmate. :D

mitosis said:
I'm glad that you're not going to dental school - wouldn't want you as my classmate. :D

Why not? I m a nice guy :confused:

mitosis said:

i am glad you aren't in my class :)

i have to say this thread is very informative for a non-dental student.. would be interesting to have a place for little facts like these somewhere along the site..

rocknightmare said:

i have to say this thread is very informative for a non-dental student.. would be interesting to have a place for little facts like these somewhere along the site..

Yes it is very informative :thumbup:

I wasnt asking to skip out on getting some cavities filled, infact I have never had a single cavity before in my entire life. I was just asking bc i was interested.

rocknightmare said:

I don't doubt that this is helpful info - and I'm sure NRAI2001 is very nice, it's just that NRAI2001 seems to be a bit obtuse in the brain department. :D

mitosis said:
I don't doubt that this is helpful info - and I'm sure NRAI2001 is very nice, it's just that NRAI2001 seems to be a bit obtuse in the brain department. :D
Ouch...you knew this stuff before you started dental school? I think you're being a little hard on the guy...

superchris147 said:
however dentinoblasts (cells that make dentin) hang in there and keep producing dentin

We call 'em odontoblasts over here. Is that a legit term I'm not aware of?

OMFSCardsFan said:
Ouch...you knew this stuff before you started dental school? I think you're being a little hard on the guy...

Agreed. Ameloblasts and odontoblasts are definitely not common knowledge. I'd wager most physicians don't even know what an ameloblast is. In fact, you'd be lucky to find one who knows how many teeth are in the mouth.

drhobie7 said:
We call 'em odontoblasts over here. Is that a legit term I'm not aware of?

hahaha that term is definitely not legit, it just so happens that i have a habit of viewing sdn when i'm hammered. good call hobie

OMFSCardsFan said:

I was just annoyed that he didn't "get it" after all the great explanation by fellow SDNers. Sorry if I offended anybody. Yes, I happen to this this stuff b/c I shadowed a dentist.

^^ditto. with the way NRAI2001 kept on saying "oh, so it DOES grow back?" after people repeatedly saying that remineralization is NOT the same as growing back...i was cracking up. i'm still pretty sure that he's a troll and he's just pulling all your legs.

mitosis said:

I guess you were born already knowing this thing stuff?

NRAI2001's question is legit. Spare the kid your snide remarks because he hasn't been through your boring cariology class (10 hours of crap in my opinion). I can see this being a common question asked by patients down the road.

JavadiCavity said:
NRAI2001's question is legit. Spare the kid your snide remarks because he hasn't been through your boring cariology class (10 hours of crap in my opinion). I can see this being a common question asked by patients down the road.

Thank you :D

And thanks for all the sincere replies to those of you who did. :thumbup:

JavadiCavity said:

I haven't taken any cariology classes, in fact I haven't even started dental school yet. Like a good pre-dent, I asked my dentist questions and read JADA and CDA to prepare for dental school interviews.
I just wonder why NRAI2001 is always hanging around in the dental forums when he's a pre-med. I applaud his sense of curiosity though - the information provided by fellow SDNers has been very helpful and informative. More dentists and hygienists should provide this sort of information to their patients.

Okay here is the deal, the other day I was eating a bagel and bit down to hard and my top left front tooth scraped very hardly against my bottom front tooth, (almost to the point of which I was sure it was chipped). Upon inspecting it in the mirror it seems to have no blemishes or chips but has a rough texture around the tip, when I rub my tongue over it. I think I may have scratched the enamel off of the tip of my tooth?

Do I need to be concerned with this? It is not sensitive or anything like that but, feels like a different tooth ever since the incident.

What procedures do I need, if any? And how much do these types of procedures cost, (I do not have dental insurance)

Thanks for your replies,
Matthias

Best advice is that if something is wrong you should go to a dentist. If it is cost prohibitive then find an outreach clinic that does reduced cost work, or visit the nearest dental school. Dental schools typically charge a third to half the cost of a regular dental visit, depending on the work.

Other than that we are not allowed to give medical advice on this forum.

Sorry but SDN is not the place for medical advice. Since this thread has run its course, it will now be closed. Please see your dental provider with any concerns you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.