Dental students drilling wrong tooth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent876

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for dental students to botch a restoration by drilling on the wrong tooth in clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

It happens sometimes, but usually it's due to being nervous or lack of attention to detail.

Just as in medical, ideally every time you see a patient, you should complete a time-out procedure.

Reactions: 2 users
I did it once on a pediatric typodont on my first day of peds rotation… Did a pulpotomy on #30 instead of #T 😂 I honestly didn’t expect the 6year molars to be there and didn’t bother counting the teeth. Very awkward moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even after years of practicing, I still confirm the treatment plan and radiographs before I start any procedure.

Big Hoss

Me Too!!!!

Also -- 1) Have the DA write the tooth # & procedure on the tray paper. 2) Touch the tooth as you review with the patient what procedure is planned at that appointment.

Reactions: 2 users
It's better than pulling the wrong tooth. School did implant afterward; I heard.

Should a person reconsider their career choice if they do this

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Should a person reconsider their career choice if they do this

No lol.

Its obviously not great, but I would just say learn from this and do everything necessary to avoid repeating the mistake.

Reactions: 5 users
I know of a case where a resident tried to extract a tooth that had already been extracted. He was looking at an old panoramic film and thought the impacted molar was still there. After some time looking for the tooth and then realizing what happened he said to the patient, "okay its out" and then closed everything up.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users