Epidemiology/Math Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Epidemiology, however I really do not like math that much. I have taken Statistics and done well in it, but I'm taking Calculus right now and its painfully boring for me. So, how much of a background in math do most Epidemiology programs require, and how much math is involved in the actual curriculum (specifically Calculus)?

Members don't see this ad.

Most epi programs prefer that you've taken calculus, but this tends not to be a hard-and-fast rule; it depends a bit on your interests and what other strengths/background you bring to the program. If you're thinking of dropping it now, I'd recommend staying with it unless it's too excruciatingly painful. But you don't need to kill yourself taking advanced calculus/differential equations/etc. if that's not really your thing.

There is a *lot* of statistics used in epidemiology, but you can get away without having taken calculus in most basic first-year biostatistics sequences. Calculus just doesn't get used there, in most cases. Many epidemiological concepts are grounded in math, but unless you're interested in theory/modeling/methods, you probably won't have to understand things at quite that advanced a level; you'll just need to know how the concepts/techniques are used and why they're important considerations.

Calculus is certainly useful for more advanced classes in theory, modeling, advanced statistics, etc., but you will probably find enough other elective classes to take that you will not be forced to take any classes that require calculus. Just know that there will be certain things you won't be able to do without calculus. Which are probably not things you have any interest in doing, anyway...

Hope this helps!

I agree with Namazu. Calculus is only slightly helpful for most biostats courses epi MPH students take (at least from my program). Not sure if many programs require calc, which they might. I'm guessing it's a moot point if you've taken stats, but I'd check around to make sure that you won't need it for programs your interested in applying to.

This thread has a bit of related information in it as well.