CDC/CSTE applied epidemiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boardsofcanada23

Reaction score
Hello hello! I have applied to the CSTE/CDC Applied epidemiology fellowship, and I received an interview (yay!) Has anyone on here gone through the process and received an interview? What questions should I expect from the interview and how should I prepare for it? Any advice is greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello hello! I have applied to the CSTE/CDC Applied epidemiology fellowship, and I received an interview (yay!) Has anyone on here gone through the process and received an interview? What questions should I expect from the interview and how should I prepare for it? Any advice is greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

Congrats!

I did. When’s your interview date? I’m in the middle of a pretty huge outbreak investigation, but can try to give you some tips before then.

Congrats!

I did. When’s your interview date? I’m in the middle of a pretty huge outbreak investigation, but can try to give you some tips before then.
Ah awesome!! Thank you so much that would be greatly appreciated :) My interview is in a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest piece of advice for those is to have a good idea what you’re hoping to get out of the fellowship. Then make sure you’re asking your potential host sites questions to ensure you can do those things/build those skills at that site.

For example, I wanted more extensive analytics experience and my host site doesn’t do as much of that. I wanted more experience with SAS and was told I’d have acces to it, but it turned out my section doesn’t have a license and they are expensive. we ultimately got it, but it was a pain.

so host sites are very different it what they offer. some are data heavy, project heavy, some more outbreak heavy (if ID focused) some throw you more into routine epi work and it’s hard to get to your work done for your competencies, some are the opposite of that. so just really ask a lot of questions of your potential host sites.

also don’t assume all the action happens in the big cities. sometimes the smaller places can actually move you around more and give you exposure to more things. ie South Dakota doesn’t have a bunch of regional and local health departments doing big epi investigations, so you’d get a ton of experience with that at the state health dept. in my state though, the local health depts lead them and get some support from the state. so if you’re at the state, it’s harder to get in on the frontline investigative work.

those would be my tips.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My biggest piece of advice for those is to have a good idea what you’re hoping to get out of the fellowship. Then make sure you’re asking your potential host sites questions to ensure you can do those things/build those skills at that site.

For example, I wanted more extensive analytics experience and my host site doesn’t do as much of that. I wanted more experience with SAS and was told I’d have acces to it, but it turned out my section doesn’t have a license and they are expensive. we ultimately got it, but it was a pain.

so host sites are very different it what they offer. some are data heavy, project heavy, some more outbreak heavy (if ID focused) some throw you more into routine epi work and it’s hard to get to your work done for your competencies, some are the opposite of that. so just really ask a lot of questions of your potential host sites.

also don’t assume all the action happens in the big cities. sometimes the smaller places can actually move you around more and give you exposure to more things. ie South Dakota doesn’t have a bunch of regional and local health departments doing big epi investigations. in my state though, the local health depts lead them and get some support from the state. so if you’re at the state, it’s harder to get in on the frontline investigative work.

those would be my tips.
Thank you for this advice. I have been making sure during my interviews to express to them what I wanted out of the fellowship. I appreciate your advice!