What Jung-Myers-Briggs Personality Type Are You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your Jung-Myers-Briggs Personality Type?

• ENFP

Votes: 33 6.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 25 4.6%
  • ENFJ

Votes: 52 9.5%
  • INFJ

Votes: 65 11.9%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 55 10.0%
  • ESFJ

Votes: 21 3.8%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 21 3.8%
  • ENTP

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • INTP

Votes: 41 7.5%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 53 9.7%
  • INTJ

Votes: 113 20.6%
  • ESTP

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • ISTP

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • ESFP

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • ISFP

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters

OctoDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be a fun idea for everyone to state what is his or her personality type, and see the distribution.

If you are unfamiliar with this classification scheme (from http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jungtype.htm ) :

According to Jung's typology all people can be classified using three criteria. These criteria are:

* Extraversion vs. Introversion
* Sensing vs. Intuition
* Thinking vs. Feeling

Isabel Briggs-Myers added fourth criterion:

* Judging vs. Perceiving

The first criterion defines the source and direction of energy expression for a person. The extrovert has a source and direction of energy expression mainly in the external world while the introvert has a source of energy mainly in the internal world.

The second criterion defines the method of information perception by a person. Sensing means that a person believes mainly information he receives directly from the external world. Intuition means that a person believes mainly information he receives from the internal or imaginative world.

The third criterion defines how the person processes information. Thinking means that a person makes a decision mainly through logic. Feeling means that, as a rule, he makes a decision based on emotion.

The fourth criterion defines how a person implements the information he has processed. Judging means that a person organizes all his life events and acts strictly according to his plans. Perceiving means that he is inclined to improvise and seek alternatives.

The different combinations of the criteria determine a type. There may be sixteen types. Every type has a name (or formula) according to the combination of criteria. For example:
ISTJ
Introvert Sensing Thinking Judging or
ENFP
Extrovert INtuitive Feeling Perceiving

----------------------------------------

If you don't know your type, take the test (72 yes/no questions, real easy):

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

After you take the test, you get two links to read about your type (and others).

I'll start - I'm an INTJ

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an ENFP. What's with all you introverts? I thought you had to meet people to be in medicine (except for rad. and path.).

ISTJ- I'm guessing this will be one of the most common among pre-meds

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. It's all about the INTJ. Except that we're apparently bad at getting women: "Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations."

INtJ, though, I don't trust the validity.

Brainsucker said:
Me too. It's all about the INTJ. Except that we're apparently bad at getting women: "Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations."

Thank God I have mine - just got engaged after 4.5 years! It took forever to find her, though!

Did you know that INTJ's are the rarest of personality types? One source says 1% of the population, another says 1.5%. The first time I took this test, at my undergraduate school's career center, the counsellor came over to shake my hand, saying that she'd always wanted to meet an INTJ!

OctoDoc said:
Thank God I have mine - just got engaged after 4.5 years! It took forever to find her, though!

Did you know that INTJ's are the rarest of personality types? One source says 1% of the population, another says 1.5%. The first time I took this test, at my undergraduate school's career center, the counsellor came over to shake my hand, saying that she'd always wanted to meet an INTJ!

I know. Pretty cool how it's represented here. I will be curious to see how this looks when more people have posted. Btw, INTJ spells awesome.

intp..i'm different...although I really hope to break those little habits that make me that way (late to class..go in pjs..yea :oops: )

Ephesus said:
INtJ, though, I don't trust the validity.

The website that I posted has a VERY abbreviated test. The real one is much longer and involved, and has more than yes/no questions. It has word associations and multiple choice questions. However, everyone I know of that has taken the website test has gotten the same designation as when they took the longer test, except that the percentages are different.

I've taken the long test. In fact, I didn't even look at this link. I still do not trust the validty for someone like me. It'll work for most people, I'm sure, but no personality test online can tell you your personality type when you have a disorder like HFA. It screws everything up.

Members don't see this ad :)
from the INTJ description: "...INTJs really want people to make sense..."

I guess I can count out psychiatry!

I wonder what would happen if two polar opposite personality types touched each other? I'd bet that they would both disappear with a loud "POP!"

I think I'm an INTP, but the preference for N is extremely slight (1%) and I've got alot of the ISTP in me too.

But mostly INTP.

esfj for me

ah! I took the test on the link above and became an INTJ...but it said slightly judging personality...well anyway..i feel more intp

ENFJ: This is going on my med school app!

(PS: Is it just me, or is the prevalance of INTJ among pre-meds kind of eerie.)

Dr. Pepper said:

I am an INTJ, but I shudder at the thought of being in a room full of....me.

I took a long Myers-Briggs test back in high school and was ENFP so that's what I selected in the poll, but then I took the online test which said ENFJ... have I become more judgemental in during my college years? :rolleyes:

MNsocsci said:
I took a long Myers-Briggs test back in high school and was ENFP so that's what I selected in the poll, but then I took the online test which said ENFJ... have I become more judgemental in during my college years? :rolleyes:

Judgemental doesn't mean what it normally means. See the first post.

I'm actually surprised that I didn't change from when I took the test 16 years ago. I was sure that I did, but no.

is there a more detailed instrument?

i'm either ESTP or ENTP...
Got equal scores on the S and N parts....

and i tried using much abbreviated questionnaires later and my personality changed :scared:

or is getting equal S and N scores good news? :luck:

I got ENTJ. I suspect I've changed from being a INTP type a couple years back.

ENTJ...Apparently I'm a "Field Marshall?"

What the hell does that mean?

ENTJ

same as last time we had one of these threads, and same as I was back in high school.

Dr. Pepper said:
ENFJ: This is going on my med school app!

Whoa... weirdness... I'm the other Pepper (Dr. Pepper) and I'm also ENFJ :)

this has been polled so many times around here...intj always wins overwhelmingly

Heh. INTJ is not suprising at all for the typical premed.

INTJ = rational, scientific mind; perfectionist; organized; attention to time (i.e. prompt, orderly, etc.); attention to units / scales; uses judgment; analytical, etc.

That's really more-or-less the picture of a person who's well-suited to the scientific areas of medicine (i.e. study thereof, research, etc.) and it's not suprising most successful premeds are of this personality type. BTW being "introverted" doesn't necessarily make you ill-suited to interpersonal interactions.

Myself, I'm INTP, but I'm just barely a P versus a J. I'm on the border between INTP and INTJ.

INTP.

I am close to the middle on both the I and the T counts.

Despite the P, I am still pretty focused about things I want to focus on. I'm just not good at keeping my house clean, and I sometimes forget my keys on the way out the door. I will never, ever go into surgery... a patient might walk home with my keys inside them.

INFJ for me. Although I'm only "slightly" inclined towards the F and in past tests have been INTJ. So I guess I am a real pre-med after all...

lizanne11 said:
INFJ for me. Although I'm only "slightly" inclined towards the F and in past tests have been INTJ. So I guess I am a real pre-med after all...

ESTJ. Wow there are so many introverts going into medicine. I've always been a little concerned about going to medical school because many of my classmates will have very different personalities than what I am used to. Most of my friends and teammates have been extroverts.

ENTJ...

Now follow me to the promised land...

INFJ ... the "Counselor-Idealist"

cool. I used to be an ENFP, but I've definitely become more introverted.

INFJ, but the F is like 3%, so I've got a lot of the T too.
I took this test in my college "orientation" class and I was an ISTJ. It's weird seeing how much I have changed and in which areas. I guess that's what a philosophy major will do to you. :)
I actually had an interviewer who asked me what my personality type was. I wonder if they used that to see how we'll measure up. Maybe it will develop into a new kind of URM...the ENFP! :laugh:

ENTJ
Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

67 12 12 50

I fluctuate from ESTJ. Depends on the test. Some of them say I'm introverted. :laugh: I guess it depends on my mood :smuggrin:

Medical Specialties by Temperament

ISTJ
Dermatology
Ob-gyn
Family practice
Urology
Orthopedic surgery

ISFJ
Anesthesiology
Opthamology
General Practie
Family Practice
Pediatrics

ISTP
Otolaryngology
Anesthesiology
Radiology
Opthamology
GP

ISFP
Psych
Internal Med
Thoracic surgery
G. surgery
Pathology

ESTJ
OB-gyn
GP
G surgery
Orthopedic surgery
Pediatrics

ESFJ
Pediatrics
Orthopedic surgery
Otolaryngology
GP
Internal med

ENFP
Psychiatry
Dermatology
Otolaryngology
Psychiatry
Pediatrics

INFP
Psychiatry
Cardiology
Neurology
Dermatology
Pathology

INTP
Neurology
Pathology
Psychiatry
Cardiology
Thoracic surgery

ESTP
Orthopedic surgery
Dermatology
Family Practice
Radiology
G surgery

ESFP
Ophthalmology
Thoracic surgery
OB-gyn
Orthopedic surgery
G surgery

ENTP
Otolaryngology
Psychiatry
Radiology
Pediatrics
Pathology

ENFJ
Thoracic surgery
Dermatology
Psychiatry
Opthalmology
Radiology

ENTJ
Neurology
Cardiology
Urology
Thoracic surgery
Internal medicine

I'm an ENTJ, although i'm a little weak in the extroverted category

Pepper1o1 said:
Whoa... weirdness... I'm the other Pepper (Dr. Pepper) and I'm also ENFJ :)

Dr. Pepper is my absolute FAVORITE soda, and I'm also ENFJ. Must be something in that syrup.

ISFJ for me. Seems to make sense.

i did it again and this time i got esfp instead of enfj.

This poll needs to include gender. It would be nice to see what personality male docs have and what personality female docs have.

Chinorean said:
You missed the most common one. INTJ

INTJ, although my "N" is weak....

Chinorean said:

ISTJ
Dermatology
Ob-gyn
Family practice
Urology
Orthopedic surgery

ISFJ
Anesthesiology
Opthamology
General Practie
Family Practice
Pediatrics

ISTP
Otolaryngology
Anesthesiology
Radiology
Opthamology
GP

ISFP
Psych
Internal Med
Thoracic surgery
G. surgery
Pathology

ESTJ
OB-gyn
GP
G surgery
Orthopedic surgery
Pediatrics

ESFJ
Pediatrics
Orthopedic surgery
Otolaryngology
GP
Internal med

ENFP
Psychiatry
Dermatology
Otolaryngology
Psychiatry
Pediatrics

INFP
Psychiatry
Cardiology
Neurology
Dermatology
Pathology

INTP
Neurology
Pathology
Psychiatry
Cardiology
Thoracic surgery

ESTP
Orthopedic surgery
Dermatology
Family Practice
Radiology
G surgery

ESFP
Ophthalmology
Thoracic surgery
OB-gyn
Orthopedic surgery
G surgery

ENTP
Otolaryngology
Psychiatry
Radiology
Pediatrics
Pathology

ENFJ
Thoracic surgery
Dermatology
Psychiatry
Opthalmology
Radiology

ENTJ
Neurology
Cardiology
Urology
Thoracic surgery
Internal medicine

You left out some. Where's INFJ? How can I decide my life's course without this information? :scared:

Eh, it's probably psych anyway. That's what I always seem to get.

tacrum43 said:
You left out some. Where's INFJ? How can I decide my life's course without this information? :scared:

:laugh:

INTJ here

ENFJ: Idealist Teacher

kskuwik said:
ESTJ. Wow there are so many introverts going into medicine. I've always been a little concerned about going to medical school because many of my classmates will have very different personalities than what I am used to. Most of my friends and teammates have been extroverts.
I'm pretty marginally introverted. I don't think you'll have to worry....in my experience, it's much harder to get a room full of pre-meds to shut up than it is to get them to talk.... :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
I'm pretty marginally introverted. I don't think you'll have to worry....in my experience, it's much harder to get a room full of pre-meds to shut up than it is to get them to talk.... :smuggrin:

I think the test sometimes incorrectly labels hard working problem solvers as 'introverted.'

I think a lot are introverted when it comes to their studies, but are completely different elsewhere...

Thoughts?