Exam Krackers (EK) Self-Study MCAT Preparation Ratings and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for people who have self-studied with the Exam Krackers (EK) MCAT prep course to rate the course on a scale from 1-10 (with ten being the best) and to post their thoughts and comments about the course. Please do NOT vote if you have not already used the EK self-prep course, but anyone can feel free to post questions for previous course enrollees. Posters, you might want to comment on some of the following questions, but feel free to disregard some of these and/or add others of your own:

1) When did you use the EK MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the EK program?

2) What would you say were the strengths of the EK course?

3) What were the weaknesses?

4) Do you feel that EK prepared you adequately for the MCAT?

5) Would you recommend that future MCAT students prepare using EK?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Didn't use it
2,3)The bio and verbal books were extremely helpful. The bio really helped me with passage-based testing. The orgo was a good review, the GCHEM and physics were lacking, though the 1001 questione provided decent practice.
4) Yes
5)Yes

1) I used EK materials, as I bought the whole guide from about mid-January to April's MCAT. I followed EK's schedule for about 1/2-3/4 of the time, and then tailored it to fit me. Had I done this sooner, I think it might have improved my preparation, but this is by no means a negative of the program, just how I study.

2) Not overly dense. Materials were easy to understand, to the point, and highlighted the most important things. It allowed me to pack in a LOT of Bio that I did not cover in any of my classes. Verbal strategy was very good and not overly complicated like Kaplan's.

3) Some areas did lack some detail. One that comes to mind, genetics was not really covered at all in EK's books. I did have to seek out outside resources for this, and glad I did as the information did show up on the test.

4) Yes, I do. However, I did dive in to the Kaplan big book a bit for some deeper understanding in all subjects. The amount I used it was very minimal compared to EK. It was in about a 98% EK, 2% Kaplan ratio. Without the fill ins, I would have still felt prepared, but I did like the extra.

5) Absolutely. The price, readability and pictures can't be beat. It doesn't have everything, but it doesn't need to. You can supplement with a textbook or looking online for the very few things it doesn't elaborate on. Very happy with it.

1.) I started 2 weeks late and condensed the 10-week course into an 8-week course (the 10-week study plan that they provide on their website, I didn't take the actual course). So it only took 8 weeks but 2 of those weeks I was on spring break and studied all day.

2.) I liked having the schedule, it made me sit down and study. I felt the books covered the material adequately and didn't bog you down with irrelevant detail (like what was found in the Kaplan big book), although like an above poster I did scan through the Kaplan book for some sections.

3.) I didn't really think there was anything not covered well, but physics was my weak spot so I studied from additional sources for that.

4 & 5.) Yes and Yes, but I would recommend starting the full 10 weeks in advance. I wish I had had more time to go through the recommended 1001 questions books. I would also like to mention that I was a senior in college and a science major, so the review material in these books was adequate for me, but I don't know how they would be for someone who does not have as strong of a background in the sciences. On the plus side, they really condense the material so you're not studying irrelevant material. However, this could be confusing if you aren't really familiar with the material to begin with. I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) When - Summer of 2005 just before the August 2005 MCAT. I roughly followed the 10 week study schedule.

2) Strengths - It was (surprisingly) not that boring. It covered the material in a condensed manner which allowed me to recall info that I already knew. It didn't go over every detail like a textbook. I loved that the books were in color! Everything in the books seemed useful. I didn't feel like I was wasting my time when reading over a section. I found the verbal to be the most helpful. I raised my verbal score from a 4 to a 9 after switching from the Kaplan to the EK method. I used EK mostly for verbal, but now I wish I would have relied more heavily on EK than on Kaplan for the science section.

3) Weaknesses - If you don't already know the material, it can be hard to follow. There were not a lot of full length practice tests. I would recommend that you purchase the AAMC practice tests from e-mcat.com to supplement.

4) Adequate preperation - Yes.

5) Recommended - Yes, it is concise and doesn't waste your time when you are preparing. You can't beat what you get for the price. It is much less expensive than a class room course.

I absolutely love and recommend the EK system. Like all of the other posters have already mentioned, the two best things about EK are that it's VERY concise, no BS that won't be on the test, and that it's interestingly written and easy to get through. Once I started the EK system I would walk past the library and see people struggling to get through their TWO, GIGANTIC Kaplan books JUST on Biology and feel sorry for them. The MCAT is bad enough, there's absolutely no reason to overload yourself with a ton of useless material. I also highly recommend you get the practice AAMC exams, which really everyone should get. Even with the full practice exam package (the #1 way to really test yourself) and the EK system, you're still saving a ton of money compared to Kaplan/Princeton.

1) When did you use the EK MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the EK program?
for August 2005 MCAT. About 12 weeks. Read everything 3 times and read weak subjects at least 2 more additional times. Decided not to use the EK study schedule since I like looking at things at least 3 times if I want to learn the material well. I took physics/chem 10+ years ago so I figured their study schedule would not work too well for me. last 2 weeks of MCAT prep was mostly reviewing weaknesses.

Biology and Orgo were tops! This is THE study material for visional learners like me. VERY condensed material.

Would be nice to discuss some common experiments in detail. PS needs a few more examples in my opinion. See below for more details.

YES!! Saved me from spending $1K in classes and from retaking the MCAT ever again!!!

Yes, especially those that like pictures, charts, and graphs.

Ek bio - this is the STUFF!! But you know that already. I owned the BS MCAT by reading this book 3 times and difficult topics 2-3 more times. Was able to teach myself microbiology and human physiology with this book. you don't need advance classes like genetics, cell bio, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry etc.

EK Orgo- Very condensed. Excellent chapter on experiments. Very solid review book but Bio book is still tops. note cards tear out of book that's on heavy stock of paper. memorize those. I did not give it 5 stars because I needed to use a chart from my Pavia Ochem lab manual to figure out solubilities. Solubility Test is CRUCIAL for MCAT passages.

EK Chemistry - Good book. Wish it had more examples in the Acid/base chemistry. Electrochem chapter probably needs a small amount of further explanation. Everything else is solid. Supplemented with textbook and kaplan comprehensive review. One caveat: I took general chem well over 10+ years ago.

EK Physics - Good book. E&M chapters needs more work. The Thermo chapter is actually very good. Thermo is just a tough topic. Should have an example on incline planes explained in the readings before heading into problems. The Optics chapter is actually very good if you spend some time on it. This is a solid book but I had to supplement 2 chapters with a physics text book and kaplan comprehensive review. One caveat: I took physics well over 10+ years ago.

Ek 101 verbal - This is a must have in my opinion. The question format is as close to the AAMC exams as you can get. Just be aware that verbal usually has two 10 question passages in each full length verbal on the real deal. You do not have to use their methods when doing these full lengths. After the 3rd/4th exam I decided going back during questions and underlining(dates, names, and tone/main idea phrases) while reading was fine as long as I limited myself to 45seconds/question and read the passage in about 4 minutes slowly to get the main idea on the first pass. Maybe some people think you have to use their methods when using this book.

Kaplan comprehensive review - used this for more examples in chemistry (electrochemistry, acid/base, and solutions) and physics (electricity and magnetism and incline planes). borrowed from a library and did not use it for anything else in PS/BS as the layout of the book was unappealing. I used this in the final weeks of my study so I concentrated on my weaknesses. Also the approach for identifying question types in verbal helped out a lot. There is a writing sample formula in there that people swear by. I did not use it but wish I did.

I would study with ALL of these books all over again if I had to retake the MCAT because I like the way the EK material is presented in a condensed simple form with lots of charts/graphs. I had to supplement Chem/physics. Maybe it was because of the length of time between taking the class and prepping for the MCAT

The end of topic questions in EK PS/BS are right on par with the MCAT. I redid these with each reading and can say they are challenging so that you are not going to simply memorize the answers. You really need to activate the thought process. the 30 minute exams are great as well. Don't do the 30 minute exams until you feel comfortable with the material.

be sure to buy AAMC exams. As ClosetNerd says below the AAMC e-mcat.com website is a great diagnostic toolI used it to find my weaknesses.

Eliminate your weaknesses!

I used the 10-week self study program for the April 2006 exam and started exactly 10 weeks before the exam. I should have started earlier and prepared longer. In retrospect I would have followed the 10-week schedule and started 12-13 weeks before the exam so I had the last 2 weeks or so tie up loose ends. In the home-study schedule it lists how much time each section will approximately take. However, I thought that all the time estimations were a grossly under-estimated, but I’m sure that depends on the person.

Besides being concise and to the point EK's method also is very intuitive. They focus heavily on concepts and not formulas. They really make sure you know the concepts. They also make studying entertaining. Admitantly, some of the jokes they tell are horribly lame, but it’s like those annoying commercials on the radio. It sticks in your head.

I found the Audio Osmosis CD's to be extremely helpful, they closely follow all the lecture material and are a good way to help re-enforce the material. (WARNING: Do not study solely off of the Audio Osmosis, they are extremely condensed) I followed the suggestions for the Audio Osmosis from the 10-week self study schedule. I also played the CD's when ever I was in my car commuting and on my MP3 player when ever I had a chance. Multiple times I would do practice questions exams from the AAMC and I remember something said in the lectures.

There are a lot of errors in EK's books (usually question answers) and in their Audio Osmosis program. I found this to be annoying at first. They have a website where you can post questions and examine what other people said about previous questions. However, in retrospect the errors that they had me critically analyze every question I got wrong and right. I used all of the 1001 books and the 5th edition of their books. So, I would make sure to get the latest addition of all their material

Yes

I highly recommend using EK!

Other:

The other posters did a great job of describing EK, especially HunterGatherer’s break down section by section. Make sure that you TAKE ALL OF THE AAMC EXAMS. They are the closest to the real thing. I found it helpful to use their website to track my progress and to analyze what questions I got incorrect.

GOOD LUCK!

Did the 10 week program for the April 2006 MCAT. I started doing light reviewing in November, but didn't have that much time for it until after winter break.

Following the 10 week schedule was nice since it gave you a schedule to follow to organize the studying. I also liked the books for content since they only gave the basics. The EK verbal strategy (especially their recommendation on how to go through the verbal practice tests after taking them) was absolutely amazing, and what I think got me the score that I received.

The color pictures also helped alot. I read straight through the big Kaplan book over Spring break since I got it from the library and I did not like the way that the book was set up.

Like people said, the depth was lacking, which freaked me out when studying for the test. But then, I realized that you don't need that much depth at all. I do wish that there was a little more about test taking strategy for each section besides just the little bit with the verbal book.

Definitely

Yes. I already have been.

QofQuimica said:
1) When did you use the EK MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the EK program??

I used it heavily in the last month (OK, the last few weeks), but I started reviewing content a ways before that. I did the 1001 and the review books the month leading up to the exam.

QofQuimica said:
2) What would you say were the strengths of the EK course??
Absolutely NOTHING that you don't need. I mean, it's barebones, and that's a good thing. You don't need to memorize a boatload for the test, you need to know your basics and the applications of the basics, as well as how to extract from the package. You get that with EK, and nothing else. I hate studying in excess, I feel it's a waste of time, and it is. If you are the type that feels more prepared when they memorize every equation known to man, then by all means, find another prep company. If you want to know what's really on the test, use EK.

QofQuimica said:
3) What were the weaknesses??

The topicals were unrealistic in their difficulty range. I was scoring 3-4 points lower than I was on AAMC and the real deal. But they are still worthwhile.

QofQuimica said:
4) Do you feel that EK prepared you adequately for the MCAT??

Yes. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:

Absolutely. :thumbup:

Just some advice on Audio Osmosis, I was visiting their website. There are some errors in there! Make sure you check the errata list or you might get majorly confused!

Compass said:
Just some advice on Audio Osmosis, I was visiting their website. There are some errors in there! Make sure you check the errata list or you might get majorly confused!

what is the errata list

Members don't see this ad :)
MSc44 said:
is EK good if you have been out of school a while and dont remember everything

I took general chem and physics about 12 years ago and used EK to score a 10. see my comments above though.

I suggest a text book or a problems book for more details and examples while using EK as your main study guide.

kaplan has more problems but I did not like the format. I have never seen Berkely or TPR so can't comment on those. EK is written in a prose format with lots of charts and details. It gives only what you need to do well on the MCA. This fits my learning style.

MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and Jon – Known Erratta
By Jordan Z. from Exam Krackers. Formatting by LifetimeDoc. Updated January 8, 2006
================================================== =============================
CD #3 Track #17 – Physics Lecture 5: Fluids ?Surface Tension
The terms 'cohesive' and 'adhesive' are reversed when Jordan says:

“The cohesive forces of water to glass are greater than the adhesive forces of water to water. The cohesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the adhesive forces are stronger than the cohesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube.”

He should have said:
“The adhesive forces of water to glass are greater than the cohesive forces of water to water. The adhesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the cohesive forces are stronger than the adhesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube.”

All other references to cohesive and adhesive are correct.

Cohesive forces are the forces between molecules within the fluid, such as water-to-water forces. Adhesive forces are the forces between the molecules of the fluid and the container, such as water-to-glass.
================================================== =============================
CD #4 Track #2 – Physics Lecture 7: Electricity and Magnetism ?Electrostatic Force
Coulomb's law constant is 8.9x109 not 8.9x10-9.
CD #4 Track #18 – Physics Lecture 8: Light and Optics ?Geometric Optics
When discussing the critical angle Jordan says…
“If the light is moving from a lower index of refraction to a higher index of refraction...”

He should have said:
“If the light is moving from a higher index of refraction to a lower index of refraction...”

Total internal reflection occurs when light tries to move from a medium with a HIGH index of refraction to a medium with a LOW index of refraction and the angle of incidence is so great that all the light is reflected back into the high indexed medium.

In the same discussion, Jon says when solving for the critical angle with Snell's law…
“The larger index of refraction must be on the top of the ratio.”

He should have said:
“The larger index of refraction must be on the bottom of the ratio.”

The opposite is true. The larger index of refraction must be on the bottom of the ratio, so that the ratio is a fraction less than one.

CD #5 Track #7 – Verbal Reasoning ?Verbal Strategy Part 4: Timing
Stand alone timers are no longer allowed on the MCAT. You are limited to a watch.
CD #6 Track #5 – Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Chemical Equilibrium
Jon says…

“The equilibrium expression changes with temperature, but is not affected by a catalyst or by concentrations.”

He should have said…

“The equilibrium constant changes with temperature, but the equilibrium expression does not. Neither the equilibrium expression nor the equilibrium constant is affected by a catalyst or by concentrations.”

CD #6 Track #15 – Chemistry Lecture 3: Thermodynamics ?Radiation
Jordan says that the net heat transfer rate is proportional to...

“…the temperature difference between the body and the environment raised to the fourth power. Net heat transfer = sigma*epsilon*A*(T4 - Te4)”.

The net heat transfer is actually proportional to “T4 - Te4” not “(T-Te)4”

At low temperature differences, Newton's law of cooling says that the rate of cooling of a body is approximately proportional to the temperature difference between the body and the environment.
CD #7 Track 2 – Chemistry Lecture 5 continued… ?Thermodynamics of Phase Change
While discussing melting Jon says…

“It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is negative”

Jon should have said…

“It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is positive”

Both enthalpy change and entropy change are positive during melting. Everything else in the track still applies. If both entropy and enthalpy change are positive, delta G depends upon temperature.

CD #7 Track #8 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acids and Bases ?Definitions
Jordan says
“Lewis acids: donate; bases: accept.”

This is backwards.
“Lewis acids: accept; bases: donate.”

Lewis acids accept a pair of electrons and Lewis bases donate a pair of electrons.
CD #7 Track #10 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acids and Bases ?Acid Strength and pH
Jordan says that the pH of a solution with a hydrogen ion concentration of 3.6x10-4 is pH = 4.5. It is pH = 3.5.
CD #7 Track #11 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acid and Bases ?The Log Function
Jordan says
“The log of A times B equals the log A times the log of B.”

He should say…
“The log of A times B equals the log of A plus the log of B.”
CD #7 Track #26 – Chemistry Lecture 7: Electrochemistry ?Redox Titrations
Jon says…
“..the arteriole red blood cells contain fewer chloride ions than venous red blood cells.”

If Jon had been thinking correctly he would have said…
“..the arteriole red blood cells contain MORE chloride ions than venous red blood cells.”
CD #7 Track #30 – Chemistry Lecture 7: Electrochemistry ?Gibbs Free Energy and EMF
Jordan says…
“If delta G zero is positive, K is greater than one. If delta G zero is negative, then K is less than one.”
?
Jordan should have said…
“If delta G zero is positive, K is less than one. If delta G zero is negative, then K is greater than one.”
CD #8 Track #23 – Biology Lecture 2: Genes ?Translation
Jon says
“...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, and exposing the P site for yet another tRNA.”
?
Jon should have said…
“...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, and exposing the A site for yet another tRNA.”

DNA and RNA are read 5 to 3. Anticodons are an exception and they are read 3-5. This track says that the anticodon is read 5 to 3. This is incorrect. This knowledge is very unlikely to be tested by the MCAT.
CD #9 Track #50 – Biology Lecture 5: The Endocrine System ?Embryology
They say that the oocyte undergoes meiosis 1 and 2 after penetration by the sperm.

This is incorrect for humans. The correct process is as follows:

“Oogenesis begins in the ovaries of the fetus. All the eggs of the female are arrested as primary oocytes at birth... ...Shortly before the primary oocyte is released from the follicle during ovulation, the nucleus divides by meiosis to become the secondary oocyte... ...The entry of the sperm causes the cortical reaction, which prevents other sperms from fertilizing the same egg. Now the oocyte goes through the second meiotic division releasing a second polar body. Fertilization occurs when the nuclei of the egg and sperm fuse to form the zygote.”
CD #10 Track #8 – Biology Lecture 6: The Digestive System ?Absorption
Jon says…
“nutrients are absorbed into the enterocytes of the small intestines mainly in the DUODENUM”
?
Jon should have said…
“nutrients are absorbed into the enterocytes of the small intestines mainly in the JENUNUM and ILEUM whereas digestion is performed mainly in the DUODENUM.”
CD #12 Track #3 – Organic Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Electrophilic Addition
Halogenation
Jordan says…
”Isn't there a way to add the halogen to the MOST substituted carbon?” and Jon says, “with peroxides... HYDROGEN adds the most substituted carbon”.
?
Jordan should have said…
”Isn't there a way to add the halogen to the LEAST substituted carbon?” and Jon says, “with peroxides... HYDROGEN adds the most substituted carbon”.
CD #12 Track #6 -- Organic Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Hydroboration
Jordan says…
“Now is there a way to hydrate an ALCOHOL with anti-markovnikov addition.”
?
Jordan should have said…
“Now is there a way to hydrate an ALKENE with anti-markovnikov addition.”
================================================== ==========================

tik-tik-clock said:
MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and Jon – Known Erratta
By Jordan Z. from Exam Krackers. Formatting by LifetimeDoc. Updated January 8, 2006
CD #3 Track #17 – Physics Lecture 5: Fluids ?Surface Tension
The terms 'cohesive' and 'adhesive' are reversed when Jordan says:

“The cohesive forces of water to glass are greater than the adhesive forces of water to water. The cohesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the adhesive forces are stronger than the cohesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube.”

He should have said:
“The adhesive forces of water to glass are greater than the cohesive forces of water to water. The adhesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the cohesive forces are stronger than the adhesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube.”

All other references to cohesive and adhesive are correct.

Cohesive forces are the forces between molecules within the fluid, such as water-to-water forces. Adhesive forces are the forces between the molecules of the fluid and the container, such as water-to-glass.
CD #4 Track #2 – Physics Lecture 7: Electricity and Magnetism ?Electrostatic Force
Coulomb's law constant is 8.9x109 not 8.9x10-9.
CD #4 Track #18 – Physics Lecture 8: Light and Optics ?Geometric Optics
When discussing the critical angle Jordan says…
“If the light is moving from a lower index of refraction to a higher index of refraction...”

He should have said:
“If the light is moving from a higher index of refraction to a lower index of refraction...”

Total internal reflection occurs when light tries to move from a medium with a HIGH index of refraction to a medium with a LOW index of refraction and the angle of incidence is so great that all the light is reflected back into the high indexed medium.

In the same discussion, Jon says when solving for the critical angle with Snell's law…
“The larger index of refraction must be on the top of the ratio.”

He should have said:
“The larger index of refraction must be on the bottom of the ratio.”

The opposite is true. The larger index of refraction must be on the bottom of the ratio, so that the ratio is a fraction less than one.

CD #5 Track #7 – Verbal Reasoning ?Verbal Strategy Part 4: Timing
Stand alone timers are no longer allowed on the MCAT. You are limited to a watch.
CD #6 Track #5 – Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Chemical Equilibrium
Jon says…

“The equilibrium expression changes with temperature, but is not affected by a catalyst or by concentrations.”

He should have said…

“The equilibrium constant changes with temperature, but the equilibrium expression does not. Neither the equilibrium expression nor the equilibrium constant is affected by a catalyst or by concentrations.”

CD #6 Track #15 – Chemistry Lecture 3: Thermodynamics ?Radiation
Jordan says that the net heat transfer rate is proportional to...

“…the temperature difference between the body and the environment raised to the fourth power. Net heat transfer = sigma*epsilon*A*(T4 - Te4)”.

The net heat transfer is actually proportional to “T4 - Te4” not “(T-Te)4”

At low temperature differences, Newton's law of cooling says that the rate of cooling of a body is approximately proportional to the temperature difference between the body and the environment.
CD #7 Track 2 – Chemistry Lecture 5 continued… ?Thermodynamics of Phase Change
While discussing melting Jon says…

“It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is negative”

Jon should have said…

“It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is positive”

Both enthalpy change and entropy change are positive during melting. Everything else in the track still applies. If both entropy and enthalpy change are positive, delta G depends upon temperature.

CD #7 Track #8 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acids and Bases ?Definitions
Jordan says
“Lewis acids: donate; bases: accept.”

This is backwards.
“Lewis acids: accept; bases: donate.”

Lewis acids accept a pair of electrons and Lewis bases donate a pair of electrons.
CD #7 Track #10 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acids and Bases ?Acid Strength and pH
Jordan says that the pH of a solution with a hydrogen ion concentration of 3.6x10-4 is pH = 4.5. It is pH = 3.5.
CD #7 Track #11 – Chemistry Lecture 6: Acid and Bases ?The Log Function
Jordan says
“The log of A times B equals the log A times the log of B.”

He should say…
“The log of A times B equals the log of A plus the log of B.”
CD #7 Track #26 – Chemistry Lecture 7: Electrochemistry ?Redox Titrations
Jon says…
“..the arteriole red blood cells contain fewer chloride ions than venous red blood cells.”

If Jon had been thinking correctly he would have said…
“..the arteriole red blood cells contain MORE chloride ions than venous red blood cells.”
CD #7 Track #30 – Chemistry Lecture 7: Electrochemistry ?Gibbs Free Energy and EMF
Jordan says…
“If delta G zero is positive, K is greater than one. If delta G zero is negative, then K is less than one.”
?
Jordan should have said…
“If delta G zero is positive, K is less than one. If delta G zero is negative, then K is greater than one.”
Jon says
“...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, and exposing the P site for yet another tRNA.”
?
Jon should have said…
“...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, and exposing the A site for yet another tRNA.”

DNA and RNA are read 5 to 3. Anticodons are an exception and they are read 3-5. This track says that the anticodon is read 5 to 3. This is incorrect. This knowledge is very unlikely to be tested by the MCAT.
CD #9 Track #50 – Biology Lecture 5: The Endocrine System ?Embryology
They say that the oocyte undergoes meiosis 1 and 2 after penetration by the sperm.

This is incorrect for humans. The correct process is as follows:

“Oogenesis begins in the ovaries of the fetus. All the eggs of the female are arrested as primary oocytes at birth... ...Shortly before the primary oocyte is released from the follicle during ovulation, the nucleus divides by meiosis to become the secondary oocyte... ...The entry of the sperm causes the cortical reaction, which prevents other sperms from fertilizing the same egg. Now the oocyte goes through the second meiotic division releasing a second polar body. Fertilization occurs when the nuclei of the egg and sperm fuse to form the zygote.”
CD #10 Track #8 – Biology Lecture 6: The Digestive System ?Absorption
Jon says…
“nutrients are absorbed into the enterocytes of the small intestines mainly in the DUODENUM”
?
Jon should have said…
“nutrients are absorbed into the enterocytes of the small intestines mainly in the JENUNUM and ILEUM whereas digestion is performed mainly in the DUODENUM.”
CD #12 Track #3 – Organic Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Electrophilic Addition
Halogenation
Jordan says…
”Isn't there a way to add the halogen to the MOST substituted carbon?” and Jon says, “with peroxides... HYDROGEN adds the most substituted carbon”.
?
Jordan should have said…
”Isn't there a way to add the halogen to the LEAST substituted carbon?” and Jon says, “with peroxides... HYDROGEN adds the most substituted carbon”.
CD #12 Track #6 -- Organic Chemistry Lecture 2 continued… ?Hydroboration
Jordan says…
“Now is there a way to hydrate an ALCOHOL with anti-markovnikov addition.”
?
Jordan should have said…
“Now is there a way to hydrate an ALKENE with anti-markovnikov addition.”
================================================== ==========================

oh man..............thanks

Those Who are planning on relying on ExamKrakers, please make sure that you get enough feedback from many people before gambling your med career on this so called "prep experts"
I have made the biggest mistake of only relying on EK advise and as they tell us in their books "disregard" all else. Following is a brief criticism, I have been through it all, if you have specific qs, feel free to email me.

1. The books are not thorough, they are cliff versions of sciences
2. BS: They are very much misguiding, eg: MCAT does not test systems in details and previous exams show that qs on anatomy are only 3-5. EK's 70% BS book is dedicated to anatomy jargon.
3. PS: DO NOT memorize 40-50 formulas like he suggests in EK, April 06 exam showed us all, that concepts need to be dealt with in <30 sec, do not have time for formulas. Overall, they propably tested 2-3 physics formulas
4. Verbal: The biggest scam of all! No such thing as not even read the passages and try to answer the questions. Many technical discrepencies as far as breaking down the techniques to tackle passages.

I do not know what specifically works for MCAT, EK in my opinion certainly will not do. Those who recommend it are prepared all otherwise regardless and did not realize that EK did not cut the cake for them, they themselves did. Hope this review will help those who consider MD to be their destiny, and not a random chance of event like EK will make it out to be. Study hard and study the AMCASS publications, that is the right thing ti do. Best

quick question - is this self - study thing a course you can buy with EK online tutorials/materials or did you guys just buy EK prep materials and studied by yourselves?

quick question - is this self - study thing a course you can buy with EK online tutorials/materials or did you guys just buy EK prep materials and studied by yourselves?

It's not a course that you buy. EK has a free 10-week schedule you can follow, or you can follow your own. People who respond here bought the EK prep materials and studied by themselves.

I gave it an 8. The Physics and Gen Chem were great. Organic and Bio were okay. Nothing too detailed and I wish there was a little more on this subject. The VR book didnt' help me at all. "Main idea" is just so generalized imo because all the question explanations would be backed up by specific quotes in passages. EK is good, but the sciences can be improved a little more.

Edit: It is crucial in my opinion to practice with all the AAMC practice tests. Those really helped me. My scores improved the more I took and I had already known all the material by the time I took the first practice test.

I didn't use the actual course, but I did use all of their "1001" series and the 101 verbal book. I started studying significantly in January 2006 to prep for April 2006.

I liked the books because I could set my own pace. The 1001 Bio and 101 Verbal books are especially good because their questions are very similar to the MCAT's style of questions. Plus, amazon.com sold all the books at a discounted price :).

I didn't think the 1001 books in the physical sciences and ochem were directly similar to the MCAT, but they did get me thinking about the major topics.

Overall, I felt prepared.

Yes, but only if you are self-motivated to not need a live course.

1) I started in late May, started studying intensely 10 weeks before August MCAT [beginning of June]

2) Clear, concise review of everything on the MCAT, very helpful for someone like me who had just completed Biochem/Cell Bio & Orgo. I felt like it was a good basic review of bio stuff, but you needed to know your **** in bio for EK to work for you as it reviews the important things, but doesn't explain in depth. I actually hadn't had chem/physics in college [but did in HS] and using EK to review these topics and by the end of my studying PS ended up as my strongest subject.
Also the 1001 Question Books were a LIFESAVER. I literally did the entire physics book [because I hadn't had physics in years] and most of the Chem. I wasn't able to get the Bio book [it was sold out all summer] but I wish I had!
Audio Osmosis was very good, I put it on my ipod in a playlist of all the subjects I needed to review, and listened to it while going to work.

3) I think that on the MCAT, bio is the only subject that gets really advanced and EK is good if you've already been taught that stuff, but probably needs more explaination if you haven't had the biochem/cell bio sequence.

4) Yes, it definitely prepared me well. I started out with about a 28 and by the end was testing at a 36. The true answers are to come, though...

5) I would def recommend EK, ESPECIALLY the 1001 questions. Audio Osmosis was also very helpful [I put it on my ipod and listened to it on the way to work/while running].

i hate their 1001 questions, but their guides are excellent...i would just read them two or three times and u will be good.

Hi,
I was diagnosed with leukemia in my Sr year of college. I decided not to pursue medical school due to the chemo and radiation treatments that I was going to have to undergo. I have been in remission for 3 years and decided to continue with my plans. I purchased the examkrackers study guides individually prior to my diagnosis and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what their suggested study schedule was. I am trying to come up with a way to study smart and not hard. What was your score and what edition did you use? I have the 5th edition and I am having a hard time in finding the 5th edition for the Physics. Thank you for any advice that you can spare.:D

Ebonyxtasy

1) I used EK materials, as I bought the whole guide from about mid-January to April's MCAT. I followed EK's schedule for about 1/2-3/4 of the time, and then tailored it to fit me. Had I done this sooner, I think it might have improved my preparation, but this is by no means a negative of the program, just how I study.

2) Not overly dense. Materials were easy to understand, to the point, and highlighted the most important things. It allowed me to pack in a LOT of Bio that I did not cover in any of my classes. Verbal strategy was very good and not overly complicated like Kaplan's.

3) Some areas did lack some detail. One that comes to mind, genetics was not really covered at all in EK's books. I did have to seek out outside resources for this, and glad I did as the information did show up on the test.

4) Yes, I do. However, I did dive in to the Kaplan big book a bit for some deeper understanding in all subjects. The amount I used it was very minimal compared to EK. It was in about a 98% EK, 2% Kaplan ratio. Without the fill ins, I would have still felt prepared, but I did like the extra.

5) Absolutely. The price, readability and pictures can't be beat. It doesn't have everything, but it doesn't need to. You can supplement with a textbook or looking online for the very few things it doesn't elaborate on. Very happy with it.

Hi,
I was diagnosed with leukemia in my Sr year of college. I decided not to pursue medical school due to the chemo and radiation treatments that I was going to have to undergo. I have been in remission for 3 years and decided to continue with my plans. I purchased the examkrackers study guides individually prior to my diagnosis and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what their suggested study schedule was. I am trying to come up with a way to study smart and not hard. What was your score and what edition did you use? I have the 5th edition and I am having a hard time in finding the 5th edition for the Physics. Thank you for any advice that you can spare.:D

Ebonyxtasy

wow, this is a trully amazing story you have.
I have made a 7 months schedule a while ago (taken their 10 week schedule and stretched it out into 7 months)...if you want it pm me with your email adress and i will send it to you.
Good luck

Could anyone tell me what they thought of their verbal strategy?
Thanks in advance

e.g Writing a test, taking a day off, taking 30 mintues to only review the questions only...etc.

are the 1001 questions really helpful? Im using princeton and kaplan books to look over the material, and i just ordered all the 1001 questions for all of the subjects. Do you guys think that's a good strategy or not?

1001 Chemistry sucks. 0/3. Its basically a regurgitation of what you read in the corresponding Chemistry manual. Not recommended unless you've never taken Chemistry before, and I very much doubt that. None of the questions are close to being MCAT-like, and the explanations are simply not very enlightening at all.

1001 Biology = :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. 3/3. My friend told me the best way to learn biology facts after reviewing is to do as many passage problems as you can, and learn from the questions you get wrong (or if you guessed, then those ones too). I got my copy today, and I've already done 2 lectures (221 problems in one day) and its great. I do one passage at a time, check my answers, and write down the facts I learned on a separate sheet of paper. Basically, its 100+ passages with 6-8 questions each. Also, for every 3 or so passages, you have a discretes section consisting of 6-8 questions. Its great passage-based practice that should get you comfortable for the passages on the real MCAT. And the explanations explain why each choice is right/wrong, so you might even learn facts unrelated to the question. I love it and would recommend it to everyone.

101 Verbal = :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: 3/3. It's good practice for verbal reasoning. It has the appropriate MCAT-level difficulty of verbal that I think Kaplan and TPR fail to achieve. There are quite a few questionable questions, where the answer explanation is simply "Use process of elimination to arrive at this answer" which happens to suck but doesn't suck as much as the others. So for that reason I only give it 4/5, but I'm not complaining at all. It's better practice than the other prep companies' material.

EK Inorganic Chem = :thumbup::thumbup: It's not bad. It covers the basics pretty quickly and in a readable manner. I thought it was better than Kaplan's review. The 30-minute lecture quizzes weren't very instructive but they are still good practice for when you've done reviewing. I made the mistake of taking the corresponding quizzes after reading the lecture, and I could never break 11. Its good practice material, but they should tell you to attempt it only after reviewing all of the material in the manual.

EK Verbal = 0/3. It sucked. It didn't tell me anything that I could use to help improve my verbal strategy. It might be because I'm blessed with good critical reading skills (I got a 11 on my first practice VR) and just need to practice more to learn to make the right amount of inferences and not extrapolate too much. The 30 minute exams were decent but I think they are too unnecessarily convoluted. The questions in particular weren't written very well. Almost 50% of the questions were very ambiguous. Its apparent to me that David Orsay (the guy who wrote 101 VR) is better at writing VR sections than Jonathan Orsay. That's just me, I don't know what other people think but this book wasn't that useful.

EK Organic Chem = Am in the process of reading it. It seems very condensed. But I will refrain from making any more judgements until I finish with the book.

1) I didn't take a full-blown course, but I did print off their 10-week study schedule. I only had a month (4 weeks-ish) to prepare, so I cut out most of the 1001 Q's suggestions. Due to my time constraints, I really had to cut and tweak it to fit my needs, but it provided an awesome outline for me to go off of.

2) I haven't had any Anatomy or Physiology, so my Bio was truly lacking. Between the AO and the Bio books I was able to go into the test somewhat confident that I had all my bases covered. I did go back to a Bio textbook that I had, where there were many chapters we didn't cover in Gen Bio, but the EK Bio gave me a general idea of what I needed to look for rather than just delving into an entire text. Chemistry was a good review as well as Organic. However, O Chem is my strong point, so if I wasn't already sure of myself, I don't know how well it would have prepared me.

3) Definitely Physics. I am a Physics major, and a lot of the way they worded and covered things made ME confused. I definitely felt like my Physics skills regressed using the EK method.

4) Overall, yes.

5) Sure, but of course, I'm biased and didn't use any other company's products. I have nothing to compare it to. But, I was happy with my score.

I didn't actually take the course (though if it was offered in my area I would have done it). The first time I took the MCAT I used Kaplan and got a 28 (BS-10, VR-11, PS-7) and the second time I used EK for about two weeks (I took the exam in May and I studied all day for about 5 days, which was a bit risky) and scored a 31 (12 PS, 9 BS, 10 VR). I did all the 10001 questions but due to lack of time I did little biology and verbal so my scores went down a little the second time around.

The books are thin so they're not as intimidating as the Kaplan books. They get right down to the point and have lots of little tricks that will make the MCAT much easier.

You may have to open up a textbook for those things you may not be as strong in but for the vast majority of topics they are beyond amazing!

I scored an 18 on my first diagnostic, so I would say YES!!!!

I do regularly! So much better than a kaplan course!

1) Used EK to prep for August 2006 MCAT. Studied for 2 solid months.

2) Strengths: verbal strategy, condensed biology material, practice questions and practice exams were tricky but great.

3) Weaknesses: physics review was soso

4) Yes

5) I would, if they can self-study and don't feel they need to be verbally taught old material (like freshman chemistry) from an actual instructor.

This is a thread for people who have self-studied with the Exam Krackers (EK) MCAT prep course to rate the course on a scale from 1-10 (with ten being the best) and to post their thoughts and comments about the course. Please do NOT vote if you have not already used the EK self-prep course, but anyone can feel free to post questions for previous course enrollees. Posters, you might want to comment on some of the following questions, but feel free to disregard some of these and/or add others of your own:

I wasn't able to afford the course, and it was to far of a drive to travel to UCLA. I studied on off with their material for about 9 months.

The strengths are verbal and bio. Don't underestimate the Physics or Chemistry. They used a lot of examples/techniques to teach the physics and the the chemistry from Hewitts Conceptual Physics book and the Brown's Chemistry: The Central Science.

They could have a better math section, and they could have explained electricity and magnetism better in their Physics section.

Yes, and No.

I have pretty much everything from all the prep companies (TPR, Berkey, Kaplan, and EK) and I would recommend purchasing their set. If possible use them for the Bio and verbal, and use TPR for the physical sciences. TPR does the best job at teaching the physics in my opinion. If you need more help in the G-chem area purchase or find "Chemistry: The Central Science." Any edition will due. I feel its the best to use to prepare for G-chem, and its just a G-chem book for nursing majors (go figure). I barely looked at Kaplans stuff. There stuff really sucked, but they do have the best test bank.

Buy the 101 Bio passage book by EK, you'll see why.

I was looking at amazon.com to purchase one of these EK books, but since the MCAT is now CBT, would buying the older versions that were released in 2001 help me? I see that there is a 2007 version for most of the books, but the user reviews listed were posted from 2001 and 2003, so I don't know if these books still closely correlate with the CBT.
based on some of the responses here, i think i am going to give it a try, though. thanks everybody! =)

does anyone have a schedule of kaplans classroom course? my freind gave me his stuff and i would love to do this stuff in order as i am overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Okay, so it seems that the examkrackers' bio and verbal are good, but not physics and gchem (TPR are good for the last two)... exactly which books on bio and verbal? I've been seeing EK, 1001, 101, 1001 question series, minimcats, and osmosis something? Can exact titles, authors, and editions be specified?

Also, what about ochem? My weakness is ochem (did poorly in this subject in college), and TPR seems to not be helping me understand the concepts. Which book is good at teaching ochem?

Thanks much!!

Okay, so it seems that the examkrackers' bio and verbal are good, but not physics and gchem (TPR are good for the last two)... exactly which books on bio and verbal? I've been seeing EK, 1001, 101, 1001 question series, minimcats, and osmosis something? Can exact titles, authors, and editions be specified?

Also, what about ochem? My weakness is ochem (did poorly in this subject in college), and TPR seems to not be helping me understand the concepts. Which book is good at teaching ochem?

Thanks much!!

Hey- The EK books to learn and study from are just called "MCAT-Organic Chemistry" etc. The author is Jonathan Orsay. Most recent edition is the 7th. The 101, 1001 books are practice q's meant to practice what you learn in the MCAT books.

Hope that helps. Sorry, no advice for o-chem. Although if you are really that weak in it, going back to a college text might be good.

It's where the answers are in the book.

Did you check your answers? hehe...

I'm considering purchasing the comprehensive study book from examkrackers. The latest edition that I can find is the 7th. This book is currently out of stock at Amazon and the price has dropped nearly $60 from the original price ($175). This leads me to believe that a new edition is coming out. Had anyone heard anything about this, or would you recommend that I put in an order for the 7th and hope that Amazon gets a new shipment soon. I could also order from the ExamKrackers website, but the price is still $175 there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm considering purchasing the comprehensive study book from examkrackers. The latest edition that I can find is the 7th. This book is currently out of stock at Amazon and the price has dropped nearly $60 from the original price ($175). This leads me to believe that a new edition is coming out. Had anyone heard anything about this, or would you recommend that I put in an order for the 7th and hope that Amazon gets a new shipment soon. I could also order from the ExamKrackers website, but the price is still $175 there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just bought and received mine about a week ago. I didn't realize they would be sold out already. I got lucky. 2 days ago, the Nova Physics and Gold Standard Flashcards came back into stock on amazon so I quickly ordered those too.

The 7th Edition is copyright 2007. I don't think they will come out with another edition already. It is probably sold out because a lot of people are studying to take the MCAT this summer.

Can someone post a link to the 10 week schedule EK provides? I can't find it on their site. And I'm thinking about getting the whole package + all of the 1001 books. Think it's a good strategy? If not, what books should I not get? Thanks.

Can someone post a link to the 10 week schedule EK provides? I can't find it on their site. And I'm thinking about getting the whole package + all of the 1001 books. Think it's a good strategy? If not, what books should I not get? Thanks.
http://www.examkrackers.com/home-study.php
on the right side, you'll see the 10 weeks. I think that's a great strategy. I have the 1001 Bio book, the thing is AMAZING. Seriously. EVERYONE should get it, if they are weak on bio. Just today, i felt a little shaky on the nervous system, etc (lecture 4). So i read the lecture and i did only half of the corresponding questions in the 1001 book. I feel damn confident now! It's awesome. I'm not sure about the other 1001 books tho, didnt get them.
I also have the full study package, once again it is GREAT. If you can sit ur ***** down and study, this is for you. If you need someone to keep you on track, this isn't for you. Complete Study Package + 1001s + AAMC practice tests + consulting text book on foreign subjects + TIME = a great MCAT score.

Hey can someone PM me about these ExamKracker books? I have lots of questions concerning the MCAT. I am 19 years old and in need of advice! Please please please someone help! I hear lots of good amazing things but then people say it's a scam since ExamKracker correspondents themselves write these amazing claims.