Kaplan On-Line Self-Study Course Ratings and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for people who have self-studied with the Kaplan on-line MCAT prep course to rate the course on a scale from 1-10 (with ten being the best) and to post their thoughts and comments about the course. Please do NOT vote if you have not already used the Kaplan self-prep course, but anyone can feel free to post questions for previous course enrollees. Posters, you might want to comment on some of the following questions, but feel free to disregard some of these and/or add others of your own:

1) When did you use the Kaplan on-line MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the Kaplan program?

2) What would you say were the strengths of the on-line Kaplan course?

3) What were the weaknesses?

4) Do you feel that the on-line Kaplan course prepared you adequately for the MCAT?

5) Would you recommend that future MCAT students prepare using the Kaplan on-line course?

Members don't see this ad.

This is how I studied, so I'll go ahead and respond. For the record, I am a long-time Kaplan instructor.

1) When did you use the Kaplan on-line MCAT prep course? How long did it take you to complete the Kaplan program?

I took the on-line course during the summer of 2004 for the August 2004 MCAT. It took me about 2 months to go through the course, but I did not complete all parts of the course since I really mostly needed help with physics and biology.

The biggest is 24-hour accessibility. Anywhere you have internet access, you can work on the assignments. Actually, I'd have to say flexibility in general. Unlike the live course, the on-line course is more amenable to picking and choosing the particular areas that you need help in, and allowing you to skip other areas. I basically didn't study organic chemistry at all, for example, because that is what I have my Ph.D. in. :p But I needed a lot of work in physics and physiology, so I completed all of the assignments for those. Finally, it can't be denied that the online course is MUCH cheaper than the live course.

I think the biggest thing I missed was not having an instructor to ask questions. You can email them, but it's not the same. Also, you do not get access to the AAMC full-lengths unless you take the live course. Finally, I do not think that self-study works well for many students because it requires a lot more discipline in comparison to taking a live course.

4) Do you feel that the on-line Kaplan course prepared you adequately for the MCAT?

Definitely. I went up nine points from my previous score.

5) Would you recommend that future MCAT students prepare using the Kaplan on-line course?

Yes, with the above caveats. Again, if you plan to self-study using Kaplan or any other system, make sure that you set yourself a schedule, and stick to it! Also, make sure to take several practice full-lengths. I recommend buying a few AAMC tests; it's worth spending the extra money.

Best of luck to all future test-takers. :)

I had access to the course from September/October 2005 until April 2006. I finished all the material (minus the Qbank, a few of the subject tests, and the full lengths) by January. I used the rest of the time to study on my own and take practice tests.

When I signed up for the course in the Fall, the site originally said that my access would expire in three months. I just called Kaplan and explained that I needed access until the test date and the woman I talked to was very understanding and gave me access until the next test date. I'm not sure if they are supposed to do this or not.

I could not take the classroom course because it wouldn't work with my schedule, but I needed the structure of a course to know what to study and to have a timeline in order to get everything done. I liked the fact that the topical tests are significantly harder than anything you will see on the real test. It made me feel more confident taking the real thing.

The biggest weakness I saw were errors in the material and on the tests. Yes, a certain number of simple errors (like typos) are inevitable when there is such a large amount of information. I found a question/answer in a biological sciences passage that was completely wrong - honestly the person who made up that question used their own logic to answer the question and on the surface it appears like it would be correct. Unfortunately, it was not correct. I lost a little faith in what they were teaching at that point - because if I noticed one question wrong (only because it was a topic that I have a lot of interest in), how many others were there that I did not catch?

Additionally, I did not like the online lectures and stopped watching them after the first few weeks of studying. I need a lecture to be more interactive in order to get something out of it.

Overall, I think the course was very good and prepared me well. I had no clue what to expect on the MCAT before I took the course and by the time I took the real thing, I felt very comfortable with the test. I did take all of the AAMC practice tests as well, though and would recommend buying those or spending the extra money to upgrade to the classroom course in order to have access to the AAMC practice tests at the Kaplan center.

I wouldn't have studied as well any other way, so I do recommend it despite the weaknesses I described. I might have gotten more out of the classroom course, but for people who can't fit that into their schedule or need to study smaller amounts over a longer period of time (my case was more the latter), then the online course is definitely the way to go.

I used the course twice: The first time, I used the course from late May 2005 - August 2005 in preparation for the August 2005 MCAT. The second time, I used the course from January 2006 - April 2006 in preparation for the April 2006 MCAT. The first time around, I watched every lecture and completed every required assignment by the end of July; I spent the remaining time reviewing and taking full length practice tests. The second time around, I didn't watch any lectures, and I spend the bulk of the time reviewing the books, doing practice problems, and taking practice tests (both Kaplan and AAMC practice tests) each week.

As my schedule stood last summer, it wouldn't have been easy for me to take the classroom course, and I thought the online course would be a good alternative for me, someone who likes studying on my own. Like Q, I'm stronger in the chemistry subjects; the online course was structured so that I could focus on my weaker areas (physics and biology/physiology) and spend less time on subjects in which I was stronger.

The first time I took the course (for the August 2005 exam), I had access to the AAMC exams and to the Kaplan test center, which happened to be a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I did not use these resources fully, however, and the Kaplan employees gave me a hard time when I tried to come in to use the resources. Then, when I started using the course again for the April exam, access to the Kaplan test prep center and all AAMC exams was no longer allowed for online students. If you add up the prices of the AAMC practice tests ($80 for 3R-6R, $40 each for 7, 8, and 9 = $200), and compare that to the difference between the two courses ($1649 (Kaplan live) - $1499 (Kaplan online) = $150), the live course seems a better value. If I had to go back and do it again, knowing how much money I would spend on AAMC exams in preparation for April 2006, I would probably have taken the live course just for that advantage.

I too thought the online lectures were not very helpful. However, for those that are used to that style of distance learning, the lectures may be well suited.

I definitely think the course prepared me for what to expect on the MCAT (as compared to no organized preparation at all). However, if this is your preferred study method (online versus live classroom), I highly suggest obtaining as many AAMC practice tests as you can. When I prepared for the August 2005 exam, the differences between the actual AAMC test format and Kaplan's practice test format really threw me off (e.g. two 10-question passages in the VR section on the real test). For the April 2006 test, I used the same Kaplan online materials, but supplemented them with AAMC practice tests. I felt much more confident going into the test because I was comfortable with the test maker's format.

I would recommend this method to students who: a) are good at studying on their own, b) need a semi-structured study schedule with flexible access to study material, c) really cannot take a classroom course, and/or d) have unbalanced knowledge in the MCAT sciences and need significant reinforcement of major subject areas.

I hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did a bit in the winter of 04-05, then hit it again in summer of 05 before the August exam. I used a sort of bootlegged version because I'm poorer than dirt and think that rules don't apply to me. Q-bank was included, though I'm not sure if that is included with the package you buy. My comments will deal with Q-bank and the lectures.

A self-study that gives technique as well as content. This is key.

Portability: As with Q (the person, not the database), I really appreciated the ability to do this whenever, wherever, and to pace the lectures as appropriate to my areas of strength and weakness.

Structure: I was all self-study, and this principally served to focus my efforts and keep me on track.

The ability to recording and analyze your performance on Q-bank was really nice.

Though the lectures themselves were pretty accurate for the scope of material. Q-bank, on the other hand, was about 5% baloney.

Pausing and fast-forwarding through the lectures was buggy. This may have just been my version. The whole point of online lectures is the ability to pace the material for YOU, so it was irritating that I couldn't always do this.

From where I'm sitting, if you want to ace the science subsections of the MCAT you have to go a little farther than what Kaplan gives you.

Yes. Overall a very good resource. Internalize method and material they present online, and you will give yourself a very good score. Use it is a tool to guide further self study and you can give yourself a Chuck Norris score.

Yes. I gave it a seven because I'm hard to please, but this was really a great self-study option.

megboo said:
Just curious - how long did it take you guys to go through the kaplan on-line course?

3 or 4 months for me - but that was only doing a little bit every day. You could definitely get through it faster.

That doesn't include all of their full length tests, though.

mshheaddoc said:
How long do you have access to kaplan online?
3 months normally. I signed up in September and it would have expired in December. I called them and the woman agreed with me that it made more sense to have access until the next test administration.

I just wonder if they are as flexible with this now that it is being offered more frequently.

mshheaddoc said:
Me too. I already have hand me down books but the exams and questions are what I'm really after.

I will go through and give my full review at some point, but my current opinion would be that if you have their books, etc..(including note cards), save your money and use it for the AAMC practice test...

I found the subject tests, especially in physics, to be a waste of time.

My opinion is that they give some decent info on VR, and a few other points, but mostly, you're paying for the materials...just my opinion.

I felt like I wasted a lot of time listening to, watching the lessons when I could have been studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
MJB said:
I will go through and give my full review at some point, but my current opinion would be that if you have their books, etc..(including note cards), save your money and use it for the AAMC practice test...

I found the subject tests, especially in physics, to be a waste of time.

My opinion is that they give some decent info on VR, and a few other points, but mostly, you're paying for the materials...just my opinion.

I felt like I wasted a lot of time listening to, watching the lessons when I could have been studying.
thanks for the info. Do you think that maybe just getting qbank would be a better option?

mshheaddoc said:
thanks for the info. Do you think that maybe just getting qbank would be a better option?

Sadly, I have not even had time to utilize that option.

I feel like if you are going to use this option, it nearly has to be a full time job for you. Unfortunately, I did not have that option.

The other option is to do work about 5 hours/night, then plan on also doing things on the weekends. If I had done that for the last 3 months, i would probably be more crazy than I am right now.

I do feel that if you were able to make this course your sole focus for 2-3 months, it could/would be VERY good...I just found myself struggling to keep up with the course schedule and get through all the material.

As it is, I'm fearful that this run of the MCAT will just be my first attempt rather than my first and last...but I'm not going to void at this point.

Hey Q!

Your recommendation is enough for me. After going back and forth about which prep course to take and realizing that a live course won't work for me, I'm going to take this online course. :thumbup:

megboo said:
I'm trying to decide if it's really worth $1500.

Wow!!! I thought live classes cost less than this, right? I didn't even know such an online thing existed til Q mentioned she took it a few days ago in a different thread.

WilliamsF1 said:
Wow!!! I thought live classes cost less than this, right? I didn't even know such an online thing existed til Q mentioned she took it a few days ago in a different thread.
I checked on the Kaplan site ( www.kaptest.com ). Right now the classroom course costs $1649 and the online course costs $1499. Ouch, they raised it a lot in the past few years! You can see all of the options yourself here.

May 2007 - August 2007

You can work at your own pace and there are plenty of practice problems.

Most of the lectures are terrible. The people reading the scripts often display their lack of familiarity with the subject matter by butchering the pronunciation of words, skipping words, or simply reading with a pace and tone that makes it seem like they are phonetically reading a list of sounds rather than trying to teach. Some of the diagrams have serious errors in them (such as missing minus signs in equations). If you have an unreliable internet connection expect to have the visuals lag behind the lecture (it took me two months to figure out the clearing my history files and restarting the lecture is the only cure for this problem. Kaplan support was completely unhelpful...).

I feel that the Exam Krackers books that a friend gave me and the practice tests prepared me well. However, I found that the AAMC exams were much more similar to the real exams than the Kaplan practice tests.

Absolutely not. Just buy practice books and take the AAMC practice tests online. The time that you spend watching the poor quality online lectures is a waste of compared to studying a well written book (like EK).

Feb 2008 - April 2008

You can work at your own pace and there are plenty of practice problems. I really liked being able to do most of my verbal reasoning practice on the computer. I'm used to printing out anything I need to read for detail so it was really important to me that I take an online course and have adequate practice with computer-based tests prior to the exam.

I also really liked the statistical analysis available for every test/quiz and cumulatively. It helped me pinpoint my weaknesses and focus on those areas while studying.

The lectures are awful - They consist of someone reading a script and mangling the pronounciation of half the science words. I had technical difficulties periodically where the graphics lagged the narrator.

You could probably review the material just as effectively with a $40 book.

I'll tell you after I get my scores back :). Kaplan's full-length practice tests are incredibly hard and so you feel like the AAMC ones are a can of corn after that. Too bad AAMC's curve isn't as generous as Kaplan's.

Absolutely, if you need flexibility in scheduling and want to practice taking tests online.

I had access to the material from January to June 08 though my MCAT was 5/23. I completed at least all the basic requirements for the "Kaplan Guarantee" in a little under 2 months.

I liked the self pacing. Granted, I probably started later than I would've had there been classes I had to attend. I goofed off most of January and didn't really start studying until mid to late February. Once I did get started though, I was covering material faster than the syllabus detailed. I liked being able to take days off when I needed and crank out full days when I was very motivated. I'm a person that gets on rolls, so it was great to cover two or three whole lessons in a Saturday if I was able.

There wasn't anyone to really ask questions of if I didn't get a particular concept as well as I'd like. I've graduated, so there weren't any other students around me to confer with really. I wish I'd found the SDN Kaplan and MCAT discussion boards earlier because I think they really would've helped.

Absolutely. The abundance of full length and sectional tests made me feel very prepared. I do wish I had started earlier so that I would've had more time at the end to do practice tests, but that was no one's fault but my own.

It's a great resource if you're out of the academic environment and you need some more direction in your studying. Were I still a student, I probably could've managed to study fine without it (again, that whole "on a roll" mentality). Since I'm not a student, it was helpful to add structure to what I was doing and give good feedback on my progress.

Sorry to interrupt the flow: Does the classroom course count or are you just interested in the on-line course?