Temple vs UM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose b/w Temple or UM, where you would attend and why? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I applied to both Temple and UM but when I was accepted to UM I withdrew my application from Temple, it wasn’t even a question for me.

Let me start by plugging UM – since that’s where I am. Our school is composed of some of the nicest people (students & faculty) I have ever met. Everyone is so helpful and considerate. We have the second largest hospital in the US and the second busiest trauma center. Due to our immigrant population, we see rare diseases often only seen in third world counties. Overall our school is very strong in both research and clinical medicine. The president of the university is the former secretary for health and human services so she is very pro-med. This past year she raised over 700 million dollars for the medical school to be applied to new facilities and attracting big name professors. There are tremendous research opportunities here, in fact I was just doing neurosurgery on a pig this morning as part of one of my projects.

Also, this is Miami, one of the most exotic locations in the continental US. The weather here is great, it rarely gets cooler than 60 (even at night). We have a very social school (i.e. get in FREE to the hottest clubs on south beach) although we respect each other and nobody will think badly of you if you don’t want to come out (I usually don’t actually).

Again, I still cannot stress how great everyone is here. I have never had a professor I couldn’t approach and ask questions to. Also, my classmates are great; we are truly one big family. The deans also care a lot for the students and are very approachable.

So please seriously consider Miami and if there are any specific questions I can answer about our school or anything please let me know.

Baps said:
If you had to choose b/w Temple or UM, where you would attend and why? Thanks!

i'd go with miami....warm weather, sun, beaches easily beat out the cold weather in philly

Members don't see this ad :)
which M - Miami, Michigan, Maryland...

Another question...Hypothetically speaking, let's say that someone writes a letter of intent to a certain school stating it's their first choice and would go if accepted. Then, they are accepted at another school which they feel might be a better fit. Is it an unwritten law that you should attend that school where you wrote the letter or should you attend the other school you think is the better fit? Thanks

UM is also a much better school than temple and much more prestigious from a rankings standpoint as well as research opportunities...