disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I am thinking about applying soon. I don't have a great GPA (3.1) and I haven't taken the MCATs yet but I am hopeful. I have pretty good ECs. Anyway I was thinking about applying as disadvantaged. I feel like I am disadvantaged compared to other applicants and definitely with people I know at my university since they are upper middle class at least. My story is like this: My parents had me when they were about 19. My mother had graduated from high school (the only person in her family to) but my father didn't even finish high school. This is common in the neighborhood I live in where there is a lot of drug problems and teenage pregnancy. My parents did not have jobs so we stayed with my grandmother, my father's mother. My parents split up soon after. My dad lived with us until I was in middle school maybe but I would say basically my grandmother raised me. I am 21 and I have been living with her since. She is the sole reason I am able to go to college. I get a bunch of financial aid but she pays the rest with money she has saved up over the years. This woman is phenomenal. I was wondering if this is considered disadvantaged because of the environment I have lived in and because of financial reasons. Also, with disadvantaged applicants would a lower GPA be criticized less?

Members don't see this ad.

i think it sounds disadvantaged. i dont know if that can make up for the 3.1, did you have to work?

madonna said:
i think it sounds disadvantaged. i dont know if that can make up for the 3.1, did you have to work?

not during the year. I've worked every summer and had to save that money up.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i might be able to qualify as disadvantaged, but i'm not applying as such because i think it makes you sound like a complainer. i think it's much more powerful to talk in your PS about how you overcame all your obstacles and how what you learned from that will impact your career as a dr.

(note: that's just my take on it, and i'm in no way belittling your background. i do respect all that you've been through :))

not to be mean but it doesnt sound too disadvantages to me.

edit: ^^ what she said too

Duchess742 said:
i think i might be able to qualify as disadvantaged, but i'm not applying as such because i think it makes you sound like a complainer. i think it's much more powerful to talk in your PS about how you overcame all your obstacles and how what you learned from that will impact your career as a dr.

(note: that's just my take on it, and i'm in no way belittling your background. i do respect all that you've been through :))

hm..yeah. I did write it in the version of my PS I have right now. I don't really know. I feel like other people are a lot better off than me and I deserve something for it but on the other hand I feel like I really can't complain since I am not homeless or dying or something..you know?

OP, I think you would definitely qualify as disadvantaged.