CITA/NC exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ron Burgundy

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any UNC students out there that could shed some light on the CITA/NC exam?

Specifically, what did you think of the examiners? Stingy/easy-going? Did they move patients quickly through when checking preps/restorations?

What were the reasons anyone may have not passed from your class?

Thanks-

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Members don't see this ad.

Great signature.

CITA=horrible.

Stingy? Well, on one floor they were. All but 1 of the people who failed were on a floor with a person who will go unnamed. They failed people for some of the most ridiculous things in the world. I could go on all night. They wanted your chamfer of your crown prep 0.5mm from the "fake gingiva". Oops, you left it 0.6 but your prep is perfect? We don't care, that's a "critical error"...you FAIL. One of our classmates actually overheard 3 examiners talking when one said "we need to make sure to fail the number we discussed so people will view us as legit".

Timely grading of patients? yeah right. If your prep had to be altered from the ideal, in the past you could get it checked on the floor. Not with CITA. Have fun waiting for 45 mins to be able to get a modification. Need 2 of them like me? Sure, wait 1.5 hours. Have fun having literally 8 minutes to fully restore an esthetic class III on #9. Do I sound bitter? And I passed the first time!! :smuggrin: Nothing is great like checking your patient's occlusion ad nauseum with articulating paper, asking the patient, etc only to have them come back to you with points off. When I ask what happened in the back room, my patient says "well two guys looked at it and said it was beautiful. Then a third one said he thought it was great but wanted it 'buffed'. I told him it felt great but he didn't care." Have you ever been told to 'buff' the lingual of a restoration?

Not to mention they charge 1400 to take it when there is a state law capping it at 1200. We've still not heard an answer to that one yet. But wait, we'll be licensed to practice in like 40 states, right CITA? Oh, not anymore? Oh, you got in a political pissing match and now the rest of the country hates you and won't accept your exam? Phew, at least I can still practice in Mississippi, New Hampshire, West Virginia, Oregon, Mizz and Puerto Rico. Te duele? Talk about the hotbeds of America :rolleyes:

DEATH TO CITA!

The best advice I can give anyone taking the CITA exam is to read and fully understand the guidelines. Know what is expected of you and then do what you know how to do. Comments such as that to the effect that 'a crown margin .5 mm from gingival crest is expected, yet .6 mm from the crest is a failure' are ludicrous and reflective of someone who has either not read or has failed to understand the guidelines. Thus one should also take with a half grain of salt what 'someone heard someone else say'. A certain number must fail in order to bestow legitimacy for the exam?? Please. That's in the same category as the .6 mm failure. Failures for the most ridiculous reasons?! Same category. If one were to take a look at the reasons for failure one would find that each and every one failed to meet the clearly stated criteria for passing.

Don't pay attention to nonsense posted in online forums. Simply know and understand the clearly stated criteria, apply what you know how to do and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in florida and will be graduating May 2011 and am planning on coming back to NC or maybe SC after school. Why is there no reciprocity with the WREB's or FL boards for NC/SC? Anyone else been in this boat b/c I dont know how I will find pt's for the CITA if im in florida.

Is there a prep class like there is for the Florida boards? I heard there is one that will also help find patients, but cannot find anything about it.