Essential Articles in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pleased to present the beginnings of new thread which should prove useful for both practicing psychiatrists, psychiatry residents and interested medical students. The following are some of the seminal and essential readings in psychiatry. The hope is that posters will gather, based on readings assigned or stumbled upon from residency, important and useful articles which can be included in this list.

Below I'll start with some important articles from our own psychiatrist-super hero, Doc Samson, who provides us with readings and chapters relevant to C/L psychiatry:

Members don't see this ad.

Doc Samson said:
As a text, you can't go wrong with:

Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of General Hospital Psychiatry
by Theodore A. Stern, Gregory Fricchione, Ned H. Cassem (Editor), Michael S. Jellinek, Jerrold F. Rosenbaum

but I also like:

Manual of Psychiatric Care for the Medically Ill
by Antoinette Ambrosino, M.D. Wyszynski (Editor), Bernard, M.D. Wyszynski (Editor)

In terms of articles, what immediately springs to mind are:

Appelbaum PS, Grisso T. Assessing patients' capacities to consent to treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988 Dec 22;319(25):1635-8

Boyer EW, Shannon M. The serotonin syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2005 Mar 17;352(11):1112-20.

Freudenreich O, Stern TA. Clinical experience with the management of schizophrenia in the general hospital. Psychosomatics. 2003 Jan-Feb;44(1):12-23.

Goldman L, Lee T, Rudd P. Ten commandments for effective consultations.
Arch Intern Med. 1983 Sep;143(9):1753-5. (not psychiatry specific, but great nonetheless)

Garrick TR, Stotland NL. How to write a psychiatric consultation. Am J Psychiatry. 1982 Jul;139(7):849-55.

Masand PS, Tesar GE. Use of stimulants in the medically ill. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1996 Sep;19(3):515-47.

Kosten TR, O'Connor PG. Management of drug and alcohol withdrawal. N Engl J Med. 2003 May 1;348(18):1786-95.

Pelonero AL, Levenson JL, Pandurangi AK. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome: a review. Psychiatr Serv. 1998 Sep;49(9):1163-72.

And finally, this is a fantastic chapter, but it's going to take a lot of digging around to find it:

Kahana RJ, Bibring GL: Personality types in medical management, in Psychiatry and Medical Practice in a General Hospital. Edited by Zinberg NE. Madison, Conn, International Universities Press, 1964, pp 108-123

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice Guideline for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults, Second Edition
Supplement to the American Journal of Psychiatry
Volume 163, Number 6, June, 2006

Newly released practice guidelines. Good overview for beginning residents. Also a good refresher.

A proposed mechanism of emotion, Papez JW, Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, 38: 725-743, 1937.

The famed Papez circuit and the role of the limbic system in emotions.

papez.jpg

Hey all,

I'm an MS4 starting my child psych elective manana. Any input on major articles I should take a look at.

Thanks.

Anasazi23 said:
Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of General Hospital Psychiatry
by Theodore A. Stern, Gregory Fricchione, Ned H. Cassem (Editor), Michael S. Jellinek, Jerrold F. Rosenbaum

but I also like:

Manual of Psychiatric Care for the Medically Ill
by Antoinette Ambrosino, M.D. Wyszynski (Editor), Bernard, M.D. Wyszynski (Editor)

In terms of articles, what immediately springs to mind are:

Appelbaum PS, Grisso T. Assessing patients' capacities to consent to treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988 Dec 22;319(25):1635-8

Boyer EW, Shannon M. The serotonin syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2005 Mar 17;352(11):1112-20.

Freudenreich O, Stern TA. Clinical experience with the management of schizophrenia in the general hospital. Psychosomatics. 2003 Jan-Feb;44(1):12-23.

Goldman L, Lee T, Rudd P. Ten commandments for effective consultations.
Arch Intern Med. 1983 Sep;143(9):1753-5. (not psychiatry specific, but great nonetheless)

Garrick TR, Stotland NL. How to write a psychiatric consultation. Am J Psychiatry. 1982 Jul;139(7):849-55.

Masand PS, Tesar GE. Use of stimulants in the medically ill. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1996 Sep;19(3):515-47.

Kosten TR, O'Connor PG. Management of drug and alcohol withdrawal. N Engl J Med. 2003 May 1;348(18):1786-95.

Pelonero AL, Levenson JL, Pandurangi AK. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome: a review. Psychiatr Serv. 1998 Sep;49(9):1163-72.

And finally, this is a fantastic chapter, but it's going to take a lot of digging around to find it:

Kahana RJ, Bibring GL: Personality types in medical management, in Psychiatry and Medical Practice in a General Hospital. Edited by Zinberg NE. Madison, Conn, International Universities Press, 1964, pp 108-123

Thanks for this great list. I'm sitting here with each article. Some were very hard to find. I did find a copy of the Kahana / Bibring text on a rare books website.

I will make one recommendation today for you all:

VAILLANT GE. The Beginning of Wisdom Is Never Calling a Patient a Borderline; or, The Clinical Management of Immature Defenses in the Treatment of Individuals With Personality Disorders. Journal of Psychotherapy Practice and Research 1: 117-134, 1992.

Can anyone recommend any papers on suicide assessment. I'm doing three months of Psych ER right now and would appreciate any recommeded reads.

Teufelhunden said:
Thanks for this great list. I'm sitting here with each article. Some were very hard to find. I did find a copy of the Kahana / Bibring text on a rare books website.

I will make one recommendation today for you all:

VAILLANT GE. The Beginning of Wisdom Is Never Calling a Patient a Borderline; or, The Clinical Management of Immature Defenses in the Treatment of Individuals With Personality Disorders. Journal of Psychotherapy Practice and Research 1: 117-134, 1992.

Can anyone recommend any papers on suicide assessment. I'm doing three months of Psych ER right now and would appreciate any recommeded reads.
Toward a Clinical Model of Suicidal Behavior in the Psychiatric Patient. Mann JJ, Waterneaux C, Haas G, Malone KM, American Journal of Psychiatry, 1999, 156:2 181-189

Identification of Suicide Risk Factors using Epidemiological Studies. Moscicki E, and 'Social and Familial Risk Factors in Suicidal Behavior', Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20:499-550, 1997.

Documenting risk factors can help you discharge a known malingering patient. Oftentimes, we as residents have to make tough calls on whether or not to admit someone, especially when they're BIBA and want to leave. Assessing the risk factors objectively help a lot.

Assessment and Prediction of Suicide, Maris RW et.al. New York, Guilford, 1992.
A reference text.

I've been downloading a lot of these articles and putting our librarians to work--great suggestions all. Let me add one to the list, from my ethics class:

"Needing Treatment, Wanting Nothing: Ethical Dilemmas in the Treatment of the Homeless Mentally Ill" Michael W. Kahn, MD & Kenneth S. Duckworth, MD. Harvard Review of Psychiatry 1998;5:274-80.

It's actually really well-written (which is only striking in the face of the usual deadly boring academic prose) and thought-provoking.

fiatslug said:
I've been downloading a lot of these articles and putting our librarians to work--great suggestions all. Let me add one to the list, from my ethics class:

"Needing Treatment, Wanting Nothing: Ethical Dilemmas in the Treatment of the Homeless Mentally Ill" Michael W. Kahn, MD & Kenneth S. Duckworth, MD. Harvard Review of Psychiatry 1998;5:274-80.

It's actually really well-written (which is only striking in the face of the usual deadly boring academic prose) and thought-provoking.

Ken Duckworth is now the medical director of NAMI... quite a charismatic guy.

Any good articles on the process of rapport building with psychotic patients as given by different theoretical perspectives?

soaringheights said:
Any good articles on the process of rapport building with psychotic patients as given by different theoretical perspectives?

Anything by Harry Stack Sullivan is a great place to start - again though, you're gonna have to find the textbooks, not much in the way of articles.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is awesome! The articles have been really useful. Let's keep this going!

Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effect on Quality of Life of Second- vs First-Generation Antipsychotic Drugs in Schizophrenia

Cost Utility of the Latest Antipsychotic Drugs in Schizophrenia Study (CUtLASS 1)

Jones et al. Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol 63, Oct 2006; 63: 1079-1087

Lieberman JA, Stroup TS, McEvoy JP, Swartz MS, Rosenheck RA, Perkins DO, Keefe RS, Davis SM, Davis CE, Lebowitz BD, Severe J, Hsiao JK; Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) Investigators: Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic Schizophrenia. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1286-1288

STAR*D Studies:

Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Fava M. Depression, IV: STAR*D treatment trial for depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2003 Feb;160(2):237.

American Journal of Psychiatry 2006; 163:28-40, January 2006
New England Journal of Medicine 2006; 354:1231-1242, March 23, 2006
New England Journal of Medicine 2006; 354:1243-1252, March 23, 2006

Trivedi M, Rush AJ, Wisniewski SR, Nierenberg AA, Warden D, Ritz L, Norquist G, Howland RH, Lebowitz B, McGrath PJ, Shores-Wilson K, Biggs MM, Balasubramani GK, Fava M, STAR*D Study Team: Evaluation of outcomes with citalopram for depression using measurement-based care in STAR*D: implications for clinical practice. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:28–40

I enjoyed reading Kandel's paper.

Does anyone know of any new, important papers on understanding the molecular or genetic mechanisms of mental illness?

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/353/12/1209

Effectiveness of Antipsychotic Drugs in Patients with Chronic Schizophrenia
Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness
(CATIE)

NEJM: Volume 353:1209-1223 September 22, 2005 Number 12

ABSTRACT

Background The relative effectiveness of second-generation (atypical) antipsychotic drugs as compared with that of older agents has been incompletely addressed, though newer agents are currently used far more commonly. We compared a first-generation antipsychotic, perphenazine, with several newer drugs in a double-blind study.

Methods A total of 1493 patients with schizophrenia were recruited at 57 U.S. sites and randomly assigned to receive olanzapine (7.5 to 30 mg per day), perphenazine (8 to 32 mg per day), quetiapine (200 to 800 mg per day), or risperidone (1.5 to 6.0 mg per day) for up to 18 months. Ziprasidone (40 to 160 mg per day) was included after its approval by the Food and Drug Administration. The primary aim was to delineate differences in the overall effectiveness of these five treatments.

Results Overall, 74 percent of patients discontinued the study medication before 18 months (1061 of the 1432 patients who received at least one dose): 64 percent of those assigned to olanzapine, 75 percent of those assigned to perphenazine, 82 percent of those assigned to quetiapine, 74 percent of those assigned to risperidone, and 79 percent of those assigned to ziprasidone. The time to the discontinuation of treatment for any cause was significantly longer in the olanzapine group than in the quetiapine (P<0.001) or risperidone (P=0.002) group, but not in the perphenazine (P=0.021) or ziprasidone (P=0.028) group. The times to discontinuation because of intolerable side effects were similar among the groups, but the rates differed (P=0.04); olanzapine was associated with more discontinuation for weight gain or metabolic effects, and perphenazine was associated with more discontinuation for extrapyramidal effects.

Conclusions The majority of patients in each group discontinued their assigned treatment owing to inefficacy or intolerable side effects or for other reasons. Olanzapine was the most effective in terms of the rates of discontinuation, and the efficacy of the conventional antipsychotic agent perphenazine appeared similar to that of quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone. Olanzapine was associated with greater weight gain and increases in measures of glucose and lipid metabolism.

A proposed mechanism of emotion, Papez JW, Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, 38: 725-743, 1937.

The famed Papez circuit and the role of the limbic system in emotions.

papez.jpg

so when someone's in love they're just stimulating your cingulate gyrus? interesting...lol, i'm not laughing at the concept, it just sounds funny to say that

Part of the "Essential Writings" series:

Pathologic Forms of Self-Esteem Regulation
Annie Reich
(1960). Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, 15:215-232

Good for helping you understand the impossible borderline patient.

Attachments

• Personality Types in Medical Management.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 813
Tell me please, where can I get these journals?

I'm half inclined to go read and I am half inclined to find these things and rip them apart as to me they would probably represent exactly what is wrong with the industry today.

I find that it is good to know the specifics when dealing with medical issues etc, however when dealing with actual people, all you have to do is really listen and draw conclusions. We all came from the same source of closed stimulus, which basically means that all answers would essentially be the same with different levels of environmental factors. I find that drawing conclusions from a set base of contextual information works much better when you define your fundamental variables.

That's just my opinion though, I have been studying people for 10 yrs and I never seem to need to read a book to find out what's wrong. I get to the source of the problem and try to correct it.

The problem with school today is that it focus's of memory. This does not stimulate the mind at all. Stimulation of the mind is activated by imagination and school for the most part neglects this aspect of psychiatry. If people just opened up their mind for just a second to try and connect ideas, every related field that hinders on memory would start using the logical aspect of their brain and would actually make a little more progress. As of right now it is filled with backwards thinking and linear thought, nature doesnt work like this, evolution doesnt work like this, philosophy doesnt work like this, nothing really works like this. The only thing that actually works like this is human society.

Einstein basically said once that knowledge without imagination is redundant as knowledge can only take you so far. You really have to study other aspects of what makes people.... people, to fully understand any field. Philosophy, evolution, life science. Things like that as they make up a larger equation. Understanding things is really all about integrating ideas.

That is my opinion on the matter. People will get much further if they just trust their instinct every once in a while. And studies and such should only be used on non-externally induced ailments.

Engel GL. The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model. Am J Psychiatry. May, 1980:137:5.

Classic article revision of the biomedical model, with the famous "continuum of natural systems," that permeates psychiatry today.

From the abstract:

How physicians approach patients and the problems they present is much influenced by the conceptual models around which their knowledge is organized. In this paper the implications of the biopsychosocial model for the study and care of a patient with an acute myocardial infarction are presented and contrasted with approaches used by adherents of the more traditional biomedical model. A medical rather than psychiatric patient was selected to emphasize the unity of medicine and to help define the place of psychiatrists in the education of physicians of the future.

I came across these from a Suicidology and Self-Harm presentation.

Effectiveness of Safety Contracts

Kroll, J. (2000). Use of No-Suicide Contracts by Psychiatrists in Minnesota. American Journal of Psychiatry. pp. 1684-86.

McConnell, L. (2007). No Harm Contracts: A Review of What We Know. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior 37(1). February. pp. 50-57.

-t

Somewhat appropriately, or through luck, there are quite a few violence and risk assessment articles in the journals lately.

This fascinating read (to me at least) in the recent edition of Psychiatric Services challenges the oft-quoted forensic based MacArthur article on the overall prevalence of violence in psychiatric patients. Readers are encouraged to read the original article (cited early in the piece) and the follow-up debate.

The basic question posed was: "Are psychiatric patients more violent than the general population?"

http://www.psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/59/2/147

Link to original MacArthur study in the archives of General Psychiatry: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...3727ce6242a3d843c120081b&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Last edited:
Kapur S. Psychosis as a state of aberrant salience: A framework linking biology, phenomenology, and pharmacology in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 2003; 160:13-23.

[FONT=OceanSansMM-It_648_572_][FONT=OceanSansMM-It_648_572_]Well-written, and had a major impact on the way that I think about psychosis.

Attachments

• Kapur_salience.pdf
    182.6 KB · Views: 356
My contributions:

Nancy Andreasen's well written critique of the DSM and current state of phenomenology in psychiatry and Carl Rogers's orginal The Necesary and Sufficient Conditions of Personality Change

Attachments

• death of phenomenology.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 315
  • carl rogers.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 379
I would like to know essential articles which should be read by forensic psychiatrist?

I would like to know essential articles which should be read by forensic psychiatrist?

You should be learning that in your fellowship :D

Along with good textbooks and most importantly relevant case law (and appelbaum, gutheil articles are always good). Whopper can chime in beyond that.

Oh geez. I've been trying to adhere to a more structured independent study plan and now you all go and do this to me! Seriously, thank you, these look great. I'll review my notes and post favs too.

Schizophrenia - CATIE
Depression - STAR*D
Bipolar - STEP BD