How do you approach a secondary essay?

Started by rayster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rayster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Is it better for a secondary essay to just get to the point, a cut and dry type of thing, and answer the question? Or can it be more creative and take a little longer to the point? I'm writing the essay for Columbia's secondary (What satisfactions do you expect to recieve from your activities as a physician), and I take a more creative approach by using anecodotes and so it takes a while for me to get to the point. I don't know if adcoms will just get frustrated because they just want me to answer the question straight up.
 
I have taken the position of just directly answering the question. For me to give a strong example, and really make a point in a short essay (less than 2500 characters) I have to get right to it.

Also, I want them to have my answer, and know I addressed the prompt, right upfront, just in case they don't make it to the conclusion. :luck:
 
rayster said:
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Is it better for a secondary essay to just get to the point, a cut and dry type of thing, and answer the question? Or can it be more creative and take a little longer to the point? I'm writing the essay for Columbia's secondary (What satisfactions do you expect to recieve from your activities as a physician), and I take a more creative approach by using anecodotes and so it takes a while for me to get to the point. I don't know if adcoms will just get frustrated because they just want me to answer the question straight up.

I generally like to saunter up to a secondary essay.

Now to your question.

It really depends on the space they give you. If you have a couple of thousand characters... go nuts, have fun with your writing style. If you're stuck to a couple hundred, be economical- straight to the point. They'll tell you what they want by how much space they give you to answer the question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I've been using small anecdotes to introduce some of my essays. I figure with 2500 characters, I can spare 500 to make my essay a little more interesting to read. :idea:
 
Depakote said:
It really depends on the space they give you. If you have a couple of thousand characters... go nuts, have fun with your writing style. If you're stuck to a couple hundred, be economical- straight to the point.
I agree with Depakote, to a point. I'd advise against not having too much fun with the secondary. Creative is great, but lord don't be gimmicky. Nothing reads worse than that. It's like a bad joke.
 
on required essays, i am pretty much just getting too the point without sounding too dry. for completely optional "tell us something about yourself" questions, i think i am going to be a little more creative there.