Calculus II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GymClassHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which med schools require calc II as a prereq for admission?

Members don't see this ad.

spudboy2 said:

Med schools will list these sort of requirements on their websites. Looking their will be more fruitful than asking here.

MSAR probably has that info. It's a good book, you should take a look or buy one if you can.

Anyway, Calc II is a good class, you should take it anyway if you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't think of any schools off the top of my head that actually require calc 2 (i could be wrong...in fact, i usually am). some do require calc 1, but most of us have to take it because it fulfills a sequence or a major requirement.

hermit said:

I know, I know, I already checked the MSAR and didn't notice it as a requirement, but someone told me (prob not a reliable source, but still got me worried) that some schools require a year of calc. Just thought I'd double check on here, thanks for the input everyone.

Good thing I took calculus when I was like, four years old. I wrote about that for my BU educational experience essay.

Seriously, OP? I think you need a year of math. Three quarters or two semesters. Somewhere requires statistics. I am not sure where. At the University of California, we take 2 quarters calc, one quarter stats.

jackieMD2007 said:
Good thing I took calculus when I was like, four years old. I wrote about that for my BU educational experience essay.

Seriously, OP? I think you need a year of math. Three quarters or two semesters. Somewhere requires statistics. I am not sure where. At the University of California, we take 2 quarters calc, one quarter stats.

Yeah, I got calc I and stats (semester of both) out of the way freshman and sophomore year. Sounds like calc II isn't necessary...guess I might take it if it's helpful but good to know I don't need it before applying next year.

Calc bites the big one. Really. It is so lame, full of made up numbers and hypothetical BS. I know some of you engineers get all excited about those made up numbers, but I am just saying. Take the least amount of Calc you can get away with. Your brain will thank you.

spudboy2 said:
someone told me (prob not a reliable source, but still got me worried) that some schools require a year of calc
Some do. Harvard is one.

jackieMD2007 said:
Calc bites the big one. Really. It is so lame, full of made up numbers and hypothetical BS. I know some of you engineers get all excited about those made up numbers, but I am just saying. Take the least amount of Calc you can get away with. Your brain will thank you.

I hope this comment isn't serious. Made up numbers? WTF are you talking about?

Knickerbocker said:

See. I knew the math nerds would come out eventually. The Mathletes. Love it.
I did fine in calculus, I just like to talk a lot of smack about it. ('Cause I can back it up.) :thumbup: All of those variables and integrals and who knows what? Not cool. And the horror just continued into physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
hermit said:
Some do. Harvard is one.

Yeah Harvard was the only one that I noticed, but I don't plan on applying there. Haven't seen any others that require it.

I believe harvard wants up to differential equations

zxcv1234 said:
I believe harvard wants up to differential equations

Yes, and they have a strict cardigan sweater requirement as well.
Polo shirts with popped collars, optional. :D

spudboy2 said:

I know that Duke requires a full year of calculus.

16 American Medical schools require at least cal I. Here are those schools:
University of California Irvine
Louisville
Johns Hopkins
USUHS
Harvard
Minnesota
Washington U in St. Louis
Nebraska
Dartmouth
Duke
Brown
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Galveston
Texas San Antonio
Texas Southwestern

Schools that require cal II or "two semesters of cal, or 6 hours of cal" :
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Washington University St. Louis
Duke*

According to the MSAR these are the only schools which require more than one semester of calculus. So if you're not a super uber applicant, it is basically useless as far as application purposes go.

Also this is my 500th post.

* This information is from their website while the rest is from the 2007-2008 MSAR.

Edit: Corrected Duke as another school that requires 2 semesters of calculus and spelled Johns Hopkins correctly lol.

DoctorPardi said:
Louisville
John Hopkins
USUHS
Harvard
Minnesota
Nebraska
Dartmouth
Duke
Brown
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Galveston
Texas San Antonio
Texas Southwestern

John Hopkins
Harvard

According to the MSAR these are the only schools which require more than one semester of calculus. So if you're not a super uber applicant, it is basically useless as far as application purposes go.

Okay, I guess I interpreted 'a full year of calculus' on the Duke website to mean Calc I and Calc II. Thanks for the info!

OofWillis said:
Okay, I guess I interpreted 'a full year of calculus' on the Duke website to mean Calc I and Calc II. Thanks for the info!
My information is only from the MSAR. That is all I can tell you.

DoctorPardi said:
Louisville
John Hopkins
USUHS
Harvard
Minnesota
Nebraska
Dartmouth
Duke
Brown
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Galveston
Texas San Antonio
Texas Southwestern

John Hopkins
Harvard

Thanks Pardi.

Good information and a worthy 500th post. :thumbup:
-Dr. P.

DoctorPardi said:
John Hopkins.
Johns Hopkins.

Say it with me...

Johns Hopkins

hermit said:
Johns Hopkins.

Say it with me...

Johns Hopkins

Haha I always do that.

Anyway, like I said I am not claiming Duke's website is wrong, I am just listing information from the MSAR. I had the MSAR in front of me which is a great source of information to look up data on numerous schools at one time. It certainly could be wrong.

if you are good at Cal like if you got like a A+, or A grade, then i say go for Cal II bec it is a class thats good for your soul :] prepare to spend double amoung of work you did in Cal I. :cool:

Knickerbocker said:

in case anyone cared, those made up numbers are used in electrical engineering. but then again i guess most physicians don't care how pacemakers/any medical device work since that's not their job...

harvard doesn't really require diff eqs does it? i didn't see that anywhere. man, yet another reason to bum my dad out by not applying there (1) the letters from every single PI( i don't see how that's happening) (2) need diff equations. i see no reason y diff equations is necessary for medical practice. hahhaha

spudboy2 said:
Yeah Harvard was the only one that I noticed, but I don't plan on applying there. Haven't seen any others that require it.

i think washu, johns hopkins require 1 year calc, mt sinai and aecom may require a year of math (not sure what that means...does algebra count? haha)

jackieMD2007 said:

You're too funny Jackie :laugh:

Any my dad was a math major and even he admits calclulus is a total waste of time. Evil evil class...

Dr. Pepper said:
Thanks Pardi.

Good information and a worthy 500th post. :thumbup:
-Dr. P.

Yes, thanks for the info. Now, does anyone know which schools require statistics? I know the UCLA does, but does anyone know of any other schools?

I am actually enjoying Calculus I and would like to take Calc II, but probably after the MCAT when I can fit it as an extra into my schedule. Then if I don't get to it, whatever, but if I do then it will be not so much an easier class, but something interesting.

I'm lucky to have a Calc teacher apply it to the "real" world. Probably won't ever have to do these calculations, but it's interesting to see how others might use them in business or architecture or etc.

EBI831 said:
harvard doesn't really require diff eqs does it? i didn't see that anywhere. man, yet another reason to bum my dad out by not applying there (1) the letters from every single PI( i don't see how that's happening) (2) need diff equations. i see no reason y diff equations is necessary for medical practice. hahhaha

their HST program requires through diffeq

MiesVanDerMom said:
You're too funny Jackie :laugh:

Any my dad was a math major and even he admits calclulus is a total waste of time. Evil evil class...

:eek: a math major thinks calculus is a waste of time?

did he like abstract algebra and topology?

calculus is so useful :D

seadizzle said:
:eek: a math major thinks calculus is a waste of time?

did he like abstract algebra and topology?

calculus is so useful :D

i think he liked working with the giant mainframe computer where you had to put in a whole box of cards to get it to add 1+2. and then you drop the box and they get all out of order...

he's a farmer so I guess he doesn't find calc very useful.

this might make me a ******* for asking but isn't there a different MD route that's not HST?

are you at a disadvantage if you dont take calc 1 or 2 before med school?

BrianUM said:
are you at a disadvantage if you dont take calc 1 or 2 before med school?

I wouldn't see any reason why you would be. I don't think there is a lot of calculus involved in medical school (correct me if I am wrong?) . Also I don't think medical schools have any preference as to which physics you take (cal or trig based) so I would assume you do not need to take it at all unless it is a requirement for that particular school.

EBI831 said:
this might make me a ******* for asking but isn't there a different MD route that's not HST?

you mean you don't bleed crimson?? :eek:

yes, there is another MD route - the new pathway

I liked Calc II. I thought it was pretty easy for the most part. However, it was just as easy to get carried away with the integration and make a stupid mistake.

And to think I have to worry about Calculus III in the Fall... :scared: Damn core requirements.

jackieMD2007 said:

That's my girl! :p

I would kill myself if they added a Calculus section. :scared:

gapotts2003 said:
Didn't you guys hear about the new calculus section on the MCAT?

I wish thats true, I am taking Cal III and I am loveing it. :laugh:

spudboy2 said:
harvard does...

vincikai said:
I wish thats true, I am taking Cal III and I am loveing it. :laugh:
I wouldn't want a whole calc section on the mcat, but I'm loving calc III also. Multivariable calc is easy! Partial differentials, gradients, cross and dot products, but finding bounds for multiple integrals sux(in my class anyway lol).