Duke secondary on line!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do they email you your PAS login/password?

You don't need you can create your own

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC Identification Number
Your last name
Your date of birth
Use the format "mm-dd-yyyy"
Your e-mail address used with the AMCAS application

AAMC Identification Number
Your last name
Your date of birth
Use the format "mm-dd-yyyy"
Your e-mail address used with the AMCAS application

Stupid thing says i'm doing something wrong... and the format for the bday thing isn't working. am i ******ed? or is the system maybe overcrowded right this second?

Stupid thing says i'm doing something wrong... and the format for the bday thing isn't working. am i ******ed? or is the system maybe overcrowded right this second?

getting the same thing.

20 bucks it's not actually up yet, and they haven't downloaded our AMCAS stuff thereby having no way to verify our logins.

betcha!

I think you're right. I tried entering my birthdate with backslashes / instead of dashes - and it says my info hasn't been downloaded yet.

"I have received my invitation and am registering for the first time."

I'd imagine we have to wait for the offical invitation to be able to register. In the e-mail they sent early this afternoon, they said they were waiting on the tech staff to finish everything up, including inputting everybody into their system. Hence why they probably don't recognize you yet. Hopefully in the next day or so though. *crosses fingers, yet laments another thing being added to her plate*

I just hope there aren't 205050 essays

where'd you get the address from hope? Did Duke admissions send you an email with it linked or is the one from last year finally active again?

i was able to find that website just by searching around the main duke site.

i feel like if they sent that "it's almost ready" email today, they're probably going to let us know when we're supposed to fill it out. attempting anything now will probably just piss them off or not work.

edit: oh, and ps...typically when things say, "i have received my invite," that means you're going to be invited to fill it out. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
No worky for me either. As if I needed another secondary right now (esp. one with 20 essays).

Using the slashes worked for me, good tip:thumbup: . And it said it found my info, though there was still a computer glitch at the end. Though it seems to be coded, it looks like there may only be two essays, one 500 characters and one 1000 character. It also says the first interview date is Sept. 21 2007. I highly doubt thats going to happen.

Edit: Now that I've actually logged in I see there are still six essays. Damn.

It doesn't freaking let me create an account at the log in page where you have to create a username and password. Damn it!

OK, I was finally able to log in! Mac Users, beware. You must use safari and no other browser.

Alright I have to run to class so here are the 6 prompts:
1.What is the most significant moral or ethical dilemma that you have faced in your life (excluding academic dishonesty)? Describe how you dealt with and potentially resolve it, including beliefs, resources, individuals, etc. How did this dilemma and its resolution change your life and what, if any, impact will this have on your future as a healthcare provider?

2.From among the activities and experiences listed in your AMCAS application, please select one activity or experience that has most impacted your decision to undertake a career in healthcare. Please describe your role in the activity/experience and how this activity helped you make the decision to apply to medical school.

3.How will you add a unique dimension to our medical school community? In answering this question, please also describe your greatest strength? What is your most significant vulnerability? Please understand that the "strength/vulnerability" questions are two different questions. They are both important but not necessarily related.

4.In addition to academic and intellectual achievement, what do you believe are the three most important qualities that a physician or physician/scientist must have to be successful in the current healthcare environment and why.

5.What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

6.What relationship in your life has best prepared you for a life as a physician?

Crap, Duke actually lives up to its reputation as having the toughest secondary once again.

Is there a 2-week deadline?

Do you know the character or word limits to these essay questions?

raise your hand if you're still having issues creating a login

so is everyone just planning on creating an account and starting the secondary without the official invite? that makes me nervous for some reason.

so is everyone just planning on creating an account and starting the secondary without the official invite? that makes me nervous for some reason.

YEH thats making me nervous too.. they did say in the email yesterday to wait for an invitation.. so i'mjust gonna wait and pretend those questions dont' exist for now

Nope. I've been in classes for only two days so far and have half a page "to-do" list. I'll wait the extra couple of days for them to give me an invite before starting it.

For me, school hasn't started yet and it would be great to get this out of the way before it begins. Does anyone know the character limits for the afforementioned essays?

why don't they send the invite already? Its almost September...

For anyone that has been able to log in, could you please list the character limits for the essays. (For those of us that would like to be done with secondaries before school starts :D )

For anyone that has been able to log in, could you please list the character limits for the essays. (For those of us that would like to be done with secondaries before school starts :D )

None have the essays have any character limits listed.

ANYONE HERE have the CHARACTER LIMITS for this secondaries?????????????????

Once school/work starts I wont be able to write this anymore...Why is Duke doing this?

None have the essays have any character limits listed.

Last year they were either 500 or 1000 characters. So i am gonna start writing them thinking its 500 characters...and hope for the best!

500 characters? That doesn't seem like enough room to answer any of those questions. I would just wait...

Are these all 500 words, perhaps the final one being 1000?

I just opened up the secondary for the first time... there is no explicitly stated limit. The text box wasn't working properly in Firefox, so I'm not sure whether it imposed a limit. When I figure out more I'll let you know.

So I just submitted this beast, only to realized later that I never paid an Application fee......uhhhh that can't be good. Guess I'll have to call them :(

This Duke shadiness is really starting to get to me. People are finishing the secondary and submitting it and I haven't even gotten the email yet!? This is ridiculous!
Duke is one of my top choice schools!

So I just submitted this beast, only to realized later that I never paid an Application fee......uhhhh that can't be good. Guess I'll have to call them :(

I got the same thing. When I called they apparently didnt know about it, but their IT department will fix it soon and prompt those who already submitted to pay for it. Makes me wonder if I ever should have called, but I'm sure they would have figured it out soon enough...

Edit: Actually the general admissions staff may have realized the mistake but the guy at the front desk didn't (sounded like he may have been a med school student). I too am surprised at how disorganized Duke has been, I think it will repel some very qualified applicants

I got the same thing. When I called they apparently didnt know about it, but their IT department will fix it soon and prompt those who already submitted to pay for it. Makes me wonder if I ever should have called, but I'm sure they would have figured it out soon enough...

Edit: Actually the general admissions staff may have realized the mistake but the guy at the front desk didn't (sounded like he may have been a med school student). I too am surprised at how disorganized Duke has been, I think it will repel some very qualified applicants

Wow, so there is no point in my contacting them. Jeez, why they hell did they send out invitation letters if their system is not ready to accept applications? Not to mention that when I submitted my application and viewed it in the pdf, all of the paragraphs where meshed into one. And while I'm on this tirad I might as well say that the "blue box" has no application status. Since they are screwing up I feel that I should not have to pay the application fee......lol, yeah I wish.

There is a discrepency between Duke's website and their MSAR entry. On the website it says 1 year of Calculus required but the MSAR says 1 semester. I have only taken 1 semester of Calculus so I don't want to waste all that time on those tough essays and be denied because of that.

Hey does anybody know if Duke screens before sending out secondaries?

I haven't gotten a single email from them about anything - I'm wondering if I should call them, but I don't wanna if they might be screening us.

I just received an e-mail inviting me to fill out a duke secondary, yet when I try to do so, it says my information was not found. Does anybody know what is wrong? Has this happened to anyone else? :confused:

I just received an e-mail inviting me to fill out a duke secondary, yet when I try to do so, it says my information was not found. Does anybody know what is wrong? Has this happened to anyone else? :confused:

my info was found but now it won't let me log in with my ID and password. i think their system is being fussy right now.

Anyone still without a secondary invite? This is getting to be frusterating...

I finally managed to set up my log in name/password, and got a message saying:

"Thank you for filling out the secondary application. We cannot begin processing it until we receive all of your supplementary materials, including LORs and application fee."

And now can't even get the log in page to come up.

everytime i try to sign on "something unexpected happens"

are they that surprised that im applying?

Has it started working for anyone yet? :confused:

Yes. It worked for me. I got my email yesterday that said I'm in the system. When I tried today it worked. But Oh my God those essays!

okay yay, Duke finally sent me the secondary and of course, no character limits. has anyone called the office to ask about the limits?