stupid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megsMS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it mean if a program on Freida says it has for example 5 PG1 positions and then goes to 2PG2, etc. positions. Does it mean they accept more the first year and then you compete with each other or what?

Members don't see this ad.

It means they have prelim spots available. Look at how many PGY5 spots they have... that's the number of categorical positions in each year.

thank you...like i said i know it was a stupid question

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you...like i said i know it was a stupid question

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. I thought they might be pyramid type programs that drop off categoricals along the way.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. I thought they might be pyramid type programs that drop off categoricals along the way.

Quite a common misconception. True pyramidal programs do not exist anymore; this is a violation of the RRC regulations.

Programs which have more PGY1 than PGY2, etc. often have many prelim, both designated and non-designated, positions.

For example, my program had 4 categorical general surgery residents each year, but 19 PGY1 interns. Some of these were doing a designated year (ie, the Ortho, ENT, Urology, Neurosurg residents) and others were non-designated. There is no fight amongst the Categoricals and the Prelims, but there might be assumed some competition between the non-designated Prelims if they wanted to stay - they needed to prove themselves, and we could take a couple on each year, with the hopes of giving them a Categorical position, but there were no guarantees.