Intern more stupider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonbilious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that as intern year rolls on I am becoming a better intern but getting dumber, for sure.

Anyone agree?

Also, will this trend end at some point?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably start forgetting everything outside of your chosen field (e.g. you won't remember Psych stuff if you're in OB/GYN). But you should be becoming more efficient and your memory for details should be improving.

Most interns in my program thought the same thing at some point during the year. Then the newbies show up and you feel like a rockstar and realize how much you actually have learned.

The stuff not pertinent to you fades; all specialties suffer from this phenomenon.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a fight to keep that stuff that you don't need anymore. Though as an intern, you have to. Remember, Step III still needs to be taken, and it is still pretty broad coverage.

As an intern in a surgery program, I just had to remind myself that definition of the surgeon I hammer over and over again: Surgeons are medicine doctors that offer definitive therapeutic modalities. Got to keep that medicine in your head.

Each year your savant qualities are magnified. Unfortunately that also means you become a bigger and bigger idiot.

I feel that as intern year rolls on I am becoming a better intern but getting dumber, for sure.

Anyone agree?

Also, will this trend end at some point?

I actually feel that the PGY-2 is the more stupider resident.

They have just enough knowledge to be cocky about it and think they know what they are doing....but they don't yet know what they don't know....very un-socratic.

This can lead to several dangerous "sometimes wrong, never in doubt" scenarios....

Ach, that's nothing. I'm coming out of the lab in a disturbingly short 7 months. I'll be a clinical PGY4...so people know me, trust me, and will expect me to function like a 4 (or at least as I did as a 3)...but I'm having trouble remembering what a...you know, the thing that holds the fascia? oh, a kocher, is. And the liver...that's on the...right side?

I'll be the most dangerous thing in the hospital.

Ach, that's nothing. I'm coming out of the lab in a disturbingly short 7 months. I'll be a clinical PGY4...so people know me, trust me, and will expect me to function like a 4 (or at least as I did as a 3)...but I'm having trouble remembering what a...you know, the thing that holds the fascia? oh, a kocher, is. And the liver...that's on the...right side?

Ha! I remember being in the lab and near the end of my 2nd year out, someone was talking about nimbex....for the life of me I couldn't remember what the hell nimbex was. It all comes back very quickly, don't worry!

I can relate. It is like someone is taking mental floss to your knowledge base while you are in the lab.

Ha! I remember being in the lab and near the end of my 2nd year out, someone was talking about nimbex....for the life of me I couldn't remember what the hell nimbex was. It all comes back very quickly, don't worry!
I hope so.

"You mean it's a bad thing for that thing under the ribs to stop beating for 20 minutes? Oh. I *think* I remember that before being exposed to those electrophoresis gel reagents."

I'm feeling like I'm a much better intern, but I also feel like I'm increasingly realizing how little I know.

I'm feeling like I'm a much better intern, but I also feel like I'm increasingly realizing how little I know.

I was taught that the more you know, the more you realize how little you know, and how much more there is to know. So open your mind and enjoy learning.

I thought I was doing pretty well until tonight, when I learned very quickly how easy it is to make a boneheaded move when you aren't paying 100% attention to the details, even when doing something as small as d/c'ing tubes.

It's a fight to keep that stuff that you don't need anymore. Though as an intern, you have to. Remember, Step III still needs to be taken, and it is still pretty broad coverage.

As an intern in a surgery program, I just had to remind myself that definition of the surgeon I hammer over and over again: Surgeons are medicine doctors that offer definitive therapeutic modalities. Got to keep that medicine in your head.

the most wise and key issue for being a real surgeon
thank you

I am 10 years out from residency. I was at my most brilliant as a pgy4-5 out of 6. This was the point I was the extreme in service killer, trivia nerd, and commanded the literature. Now, I have about 80% of that but I have a ton of experience and judgement which I didn't have back then. If you are like most... you can take a month and cram the trivia back in if you are going to take a board recert. At this point, for me I have a better grasp on the big picture, the whole patient not just the disease, and should be a lot less dangerous. Every time I feel really stupid, I start hanging out with my colleagues and listen to the crazy **** they do and think and realize I haven't lost it.