Stupid question about pathway to neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

undecided1995

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope all is well with everyone. I had a question that some may find as stupid.


Is there a pathway to neurosurgery through a general surgery residency?
 
No. Not a stupid question though. In the recent past neurosurgery residents did a prelim gen surg year, but now all programs are 7 years integrated.

On very rare occasions prelim gen surg interns can land a PGY2 neurosurgery spot. I can't think of anyone I know who did that. I do know many people who didn't match, did a gen surg prelim year, and then matched to a neurosurgery program and started PGY1 over again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. Not a stupid question though. In the recent past neurosurgery residents did a prelim gen surg year, but now all programs are 7 years integrated.

On very rare occasions prelim gen surg interns can land a PGY2 neurosurgery spot. I can't think of anyone I know who did that. I do know many people who didn't match, did a gen surg prelim year, and then matched to a neurosurgery program and started PGY1 over again.
If you are in this position where you were aiming for NSGY but didn't match, can you take a research year and then apply again?
 
If you are in this position where you were aiming for NSGY but didn't match, can you take a research year and then apply again?
Yes. I believe some people end up delaying their med school graduation to take a research year and reapply with US senior status in the match. Some people I'm sure graduate and do a research year at another institution.