RACISM, Foriegn MED Students/Doctors and the REASON's WHY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an opinion piece so please attempt to understand where I am coming from. I am a Pre-Med student at my school and I happen to be a minority. Now, the type of minority I am is Cuban (father) and Italian (mother.) I have a nice golden brown tan and look like the typical Latino guy. I am 100% American as my mother is second generation and my father second generation as well. Of course, I was born here in the U.S. So, I feel I have the right to speak on the subject. My background includes being a substitute teacher for the past 4 years, a minority, a pre med student and most importantly an American.

With that said, let's get into it. I am getting madder than hell at my University. I am a Biology major and I have been dealing with the most ******ed **** as of lately, and I am senior and honestly the way I feel I want to go to President of the school and flip a bitch and if he won't do anything than perhaps the newspapers and local news will take interest in the story.

First and foremost, I don't want charity from anyone. What is charity? For one affirmative action. My stats are very good on their own and I know when I take the MCATS as long as I score into the 30's I will be accepted into a Medical school. lol, I hope. But while I am trying to position myself to get into Med School one would think their current University would support their people equally and efficiently in order to make the school itself look better with higher acceptance rates. My school is crazy and for the most part doesn't make any sense. So what am I so angry about?

At my wonderful University there was a doctor that I wanted to do research with. The Dr. of my choice was by an advertisement he had in the research building for a paid office manager position. Of course I tried the route of getting paid because for one I am 27 years old and support myself and second getting paid for the experience is better than not getting paid. So, AS OF THE END OF LAST SCHOOL YEAR, spring 2006, I applied for the position and never got a call. That is ok, so next I called and spoke with the Dr. to ask him if he had received my resume and blah blah blah... He responded back with the (oh we were just going to call you.) Again, not a problem even though that is a really ******ed and lame comment. Next, I explained to him that I really just wanted the experience and explained my plans for med school and what not. I asked the Dr. if it was possible to do a DIS with him and he said, "Yes of course, just not this summer because I have too many people in the lab." I responded by saying, "that is fine I was looking for the fall anyhow because I was taking 16 credits over the summer." He again said, "yes that is fine," So, I of course took him at his word and during about a month into the summer I went to his office and brought a drop add form that he had to sign in order for me to sign up for the class and receive credit. To make this a long story short, his secretary (current lab manager girl) said, Oh no you have to meet with the Dr. and call me in a week and we will set up a time. Then after a couple weeks she got back to me and said come towards the end of August and then you can sign up for the class. So, of course at the end of August I go again to the office with a D / A form and the secretary says, "oh no he isn't here right now you have to set up a time to meet with him first. In fact, why don't you go ahead and email him."

Now, what do you think happened when I emailed him? He of course, responds back and says, **UNEDITED****

" Dear Chris-I am already overbooked this fall, Please check with Dr.
***, Dr.
**** or for specifically for *** and or ****.
Sorry about the lack of space and for your interest.

*****HERE IS HOW I RESPONDED****
Thanks so much for the other doctor referrals. I did however, speak to
you during the beginning of the summer, I don't know if you remember my
name but I called and introduced myself and you said a DIS would be no
problem. I again came to your lab on several occasions and one
Particular time I brought a Add/Drop form and Tracy said that you said
to come back in August to officially sign up for the class.

If you have an opening for the spring or would like to schedule a time
To meet with me to discuss an opportunity I would surely appreciate it.
The research you're doing is of interest to me.

Thanks,

Christian

WOWWW... I was stunned, because how unprofessional can you be? I don't think it is RACISM or discrimination. BUT, please understand that when a minority of any race or color goes through crap like this it is frustrating. It is always in the back of one's mind, "is this person not liking me because of such and such???"

Don't worry, that is just situation number 1. There is another, which deals with getting a TA position. again, a very long story short, there is this lab manager of the TA's for Biology that a few semesters ago go upset with me because I didn't think the department TA's should have been charging $10.00 for review sessions. Not that the idea isn't a good one and could be done by any individual. But, when there is NOTHING put on by the actual department or PROF, not a review in class or anything, I didn't think it was right to have people in the dept advertising to charge for their own review sessions. Because I am really good at BIO and CHEM I decided to have my own review session for my fellow peers for free. In fact I still have an 18 page review packet for the BIO final if anyone would like to have a copy... It is pretty good.

With that said, the Lab manager got pissy that I sent this email to my classmates and she accidently got CC'd on the email because I didn't realize her name was on the list, I knew the PROF's was but didn't realize her name was on the list. Now, one would think this is petty and something that would certainly not prevent a really good student from getting a TA position out of 8 slots and 20 people interview for the positions.

Now not to brag or make myself look good but, I am an Organic Chemistry TA, ORGO LAB TA, Substitute teacher for 4 years and Tutor student athletes for a year. My GPA is 3.5 overall and my BCPM is 3.8... I have made dean's list and President's list on countless occasions and am a "Super Senior" because I changed my major.

Of course, when I interviewed for the TA position I actually got dressed up to do it, that is the only way I know how to interview, and blew everyone's socks off as I did it. I know this because it was a group interview with group candidates of two people, me and another and the girl said when we got out of the interview, "wow, it sucked that I had to interview with you." Meaning, I did really well.

Did I get the job, NO...? Why because the lady that runs the TA's doesn't like me because I held my own review sessions...??? !!! I didn't think she even remembered it was me.

How do I know this is why she didn't pick me...?

Because I sent her an email kindly asking, "Please take the time to explain to me why I wasn't chosen so I can work on my standing with you for the next term." She responded back with something about my attitude in the interview and again the girl I interviewed with said that was completely BULL SHHHHHH...

I was furious about this and actually went to the department of biology head and met with him. He basically took on the attitude I don't see anything that went wrong and unless you can tell me something that would prove otherwise I can't help you. So, I explained to him the situation and told him I would provide emails that were all hot and puffy from this lady and why I felt my position was valid for him to investigate. He said send them to me and I will get back to you.

HE NEVER DID... it has been about 6 months now.

Again, disgustingly unprofessional.
WOWWW... I was stunned, because how unprofessional can you be? I don't think it is RACISM or discrimination. BUT, please understand that when a minority of any race or color goes through crap like this it is frustrating. It is always in the back of one's mind, "is this person not liking me because of such and such???"

I have one more situation but I don't have the energy to write about that one and to be honest, I just think this prof was just having a hectic day.

My point here is valid. I love white people because for the most part they are good people, they are my people, and everyone to a certain extent can be judgmental about people or situations. But, I beg you to go to your emergency rooms around the United States, there are foreigners everywhere. Not only emergency rooms but the research labs at universities as well. Why? I know exactly why. See Asians, and middle easterners and Indians and etc, don't deal with discrimination BS that we minorities do here in the U.S. on a daily basis. In their countries they are simply educated and prepared to apply to med school and or preparing to become a researcher and work in the laboratory. There not better than any white or black or Latin or any other American citizen... But, they are better prepared and packaged to come here to the U.S. and take advantage of our shortage for doctors and scientist and engineers.

I beg American citizens to see this nonsense!!! White Americans especially because to be honest you are the ones who still run ****. Would you rather have foreigners taking all the jobs or start giving our minority American citizens real chances and opportunities to succeed rather than crushing our every move? We can't get ahead because we are constantly discriminated against... but the funniest part is there is not enough white kids to fill the positions so the only people getting screwed are real Americans, albeit minority Americans but still red blooded U.S.A. grade citizens can't move ahead because of our educational system from the start and the ridiculous politics pursued by the few American's that are in Power per their teacher or professorship positions. NOTICE, that the doctors he gave me are ALL FORIEGN except for one, Dr. Blanks. I don't why this person treated me in this way but I would love for you all too opinionate on situations like this that might have happened to you.

Lastly, what do you think I did wrong in any of these situation and what you might suggest I do now... I am currently doing an Organic DIS with a professor that is very professional and I am very happy but I was hoping to do a Biology one, specifically Cardiology...

I know this was a long article but I hope it is of some use or reference for someone that might be going through such nonsense... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

This is an opinion piece so please attempt to understand where I am coming from. I am a Pre-Med student at my school and I happen to be a minority. Now, the type of minority I am is Cuban (father) and Italian (mother.) I have a nice golden brown tan and look like the typical Latino guy. I am 100% American as my mother is second generation and my father second generation as well. Of course, I was born here in the U.S. So, I feel I have the right to speak on the subject. My background includes being a substitute teacher for the past 4 years, a minority, a pre med student and most importantly an American.

With that said, let's get into it. I am getting madder than hell at my University. I am a Biology major and I have been dealing with the most ******ed **** as of lately, and I am senior and honestly the way I feel I want to go to President of the school and flip a bitch and if he won't do anything than perhaps the newspapers and local news will take interest in the story.

First and foremost, I don't want charity from anyone. What is charity? For one affirmative action. My stats are very good on their own and I know when I take the MCATS as long as I score into the 30's I will be accepted into a Medical school. lol, I hope. But while I am trying to position myself to get into Med School one would think their current University would support their people equally and efficiently in order to make the school itself look better with higher acceptance rates. My school is crazy and for the most part doesn't make any sense. So what am I so angry about?

At my wonderful University there was a doctor that I wanted to do research with. The Dr. of my choice was by an advertisement he had in the research building for a paid office manager position. Of course I tried the route of getting paid because for one I am 27 years old and support myself and second getting paid for the experience is better than not getting paid. So, AS OF THE END OF LAST SCHOOL YEAR, spring 2006, I applied for the position and never got a call. That is ok, so next I called and spoke with the Dr. to ask him if he had received my resume and blah blah blah... He responded back with the (oh we were just going to call you.) Again, not a problem even though that is a really ******ed and lame comment. Next, I explained to him that I really just wanted the experience and explained my plans for med school and what not. I asked the Dr. if it was possible to do a DIS with him and he said, "Yes of course, just not this summer because I have too many people in the lab." I responded by saying, "that is fine I was looking for the fall anyhow because I was taking 16 credits over the summer." He again said, "yes that is fine," So, I of course took him at his word and during about a month into the summer I went to his office and brought a drop add form that he had to sign in order for me to sign up for the class and receive credit. To make this a long story short, his secretary (current lab manager girl) said, Oh no you have to meet with the Dr. and call me in a week and we will set up a time. Then after a couple weeks she got back to me and said come towards the end of August and then you can sign up for the class. So, of course at the end of August I go again to the office with a D / A form and the secretary says, "oh no he isn't here right now you have to set up a time to meet with him first. In fact, why don't you go ahead and email him."

Now, what do you think happened when I emailed him? He of course, responds back and says, **UNEDITED****

" Dear Chris-I am already overbooked this fall, Please check with Dr. ***
, Dr.***
or for specifically for eye Drs ***and or ***.
Sorry about the lack of space and for your interest.

*****HERE IS HOW I RESPONDED****
Thanks so much for the other doctor referrals. I did however, speak to
you during the beginning of the summer, I don't know if you remember my
name but I called and introduced myself and you said a DIS would be no
problem. I again came to your lab on several occasions and one
Particular time I brought a Add/Drop form and Tracy said that you said
to come back in August to officially sign up for the class.

If you have an opening for the spring or would like to schedule a time
To meet with me to discuss an opportunity I would surely appreciate it.
The research you're doing is of interest to me.

Thanks,

Christian

Don't worry, that is just situation number 1. There is another, which deals with getting a TA position. again, a very long story short, there is this lab manager of the TA's for Biology that a few semesters ago go upset with me because I didn't think the department TA's should have been charging $10.00 for review sessions. Not that the idea isn't a good one and could be done by any individual. But, when there is NOTHING put on by the actual department or PROF, not a review in class or anything, I didn't think it was right to have people in the dept advertising to charge for their own review sessions. Because I am really good at BIO and CHEM I decided to have my own review session for my fellow peers for free. In fact I still have an 18 page review packet for the BIO final if anyone would like to have a copy... It is pretty good.

With that said, the Lab manager got pissy that I sent this email to my classmates and she accidently got CC'd on the email because I didn't realize her name was on the list, I knew the PROF's was but didn't realize her name was on the list. Now, one would think this is petty and something that would certainly not prevent a really good student from getting a TA position out of 8 slots and 20 people interview for the positions.

Now not to brag or make myself look good but, I am an Organic Chemistry TA, ORGO LAB TA, Substitute teacher for 4 years and Tutor student athletes for a year. My GPA is 3.5 overall and my BCPM is 3.8... I have made dean's list and President's list on countless occasions and am a "Super Senior" because I changed my major.

Of course, when I interviewed for the TA position I actually got dressed up to do it, that is the only way I know how to interview, and blew everyone's socks off as I did it. I know this because it was a group interview with group candidates of two people, me and another and the girl said when we got out of the interview, "wow, it sucked that I had to interview with you." Meaning, I did really well.

Did I get the job, NO...? Why because the lady that runs the TA's doesn't like me because I held my own review sessions...??? !!! I didn't think she even remembered it was me.

How do I know this is why she didn't pick me...?

Because I sent her an email kindly asking, "Please take the time to explain to me why I wasn't chosen so I can work on my standing with you for the next term." She responded back with something about my attitude in the interview and again the girl I interviewed with said that was completely BULL SHHHHHH...

I was furious about this and actually went to the department of biology head and met with him. He basically took on the attitude I don't see anything that went wrong and unless you can tell me something that would prove otherwise I can't help you. So, I explained to him the situation and told him I would provide emails that were all hot and puffy from this lady and why I felt my position was valid for him to investigate. He said send them to me and I will get back to you.

HE NEVER DID... it has been about 6 months now.

Again, disgustingly unprofessional.

I have one more situation but I don't have the energy to write about that one and to be honest, I just think this prof was just having a hectic day.

My point here is valid. I love white people because for the most part they are good people, they are my people, and everyone to a certain extent can be judgmental about people or situations. But, I beg you to go to your emergency rooms around the United States, there are foreigners everywhere. Not only emergency rooms but the research labs at universities as well. Why? I know exactly why. See Asians, and middle easterners and Indians and etc, don't deal with discrimination BS that we minorities do here in the U.S. on a daily basis. In their countries they are simply educated and prepared to apply to med school and or preparing to become a researcher and work in the laboratory. There not better than any white or black or Latin or any other American citizen... But, they are better prepared and packaged to come here to the U.S. and take advantage of our shortage for doctors and scientist and engineers.

I beg American citizens to see this nonsense!!! White Americans especially because to be honest you are the ones who still run ****. Would you rather have foreigners taking all the jobs or start giving our minority American citizens real chances and opportunities to succeed rather than crushing our every move? We can't get ahead because we are constantly discriminated against... but the funniest part is there is not enough white kids to fill the positions so the only people getting screwed are real Americans, albeit minority Americans but still red blooded U.S.A. grade citizens can't move ahead because of our educational system from the start and the ridiculous politics pursued by the few American's that are in Power per their teacher or professorship positions. NOTICE, that the doctors he gave me are ALL FORIEGN except for one, Dr. Blanks. I don't why this person treated me in this way but I would love for you all too opinionate on situations like this that might have happened to you.

Lastly, what do you think I did wrong in any of these situation and what you might suggest I do now... I am currently doing an Organic DIS with a professor that is very professional and I am very happy but I was hoping to do a Biology one, specifically Cardiology...

I know this was a long article but I hope it is of some use or reference for someone that might be going through such nonsense... :thumbup:

Sorry man, I don't see the racism in this...

Sorry man, I don't see the racism in this...

you're right, I am not saying it is. What I am saying is that in the least it is EXTREMLY unprofessional. I am not saying it isn't discrimination either. Just because someone doesn't call me a **** to my face doesn't mean their not discriminating.... Do you agree it is unprofessional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when does unprofessional=racist.....there are many ways to be unprofessional w/o being racist....I don't think anyone will tell you that those professors weren't being unprofessional.....but there are no signs of racism

you're right, I am not saying it is. What I am saying is that in the least it is EXTREMLY unprofessional. I am not saying it isn't discrimination either. Just because someone doesn't call me a **** to my face doesn't mean their not discriminating.... Do you agree it is unprofessional?

Some of it was a bit unprofessional, but then again that's just how life is. Sometimes you get screwed. I'd change the title of this thread though, as it is somewhat misleading.

Some of it was a bit unprofessional, but then again that's just how life is. Sometimes you get screwed. I'd change the title of this thread though, as it is somewhat misleading.

NO, and THANK you because that is my point...

it is unprofessional and you have to imagine that as a minority YOU think in the back of your mind, "are they discriminating against me.... why are they treating me like this..." You see what my point is? Like I said, for most accounts I look white anyways so I can't speak as if I were a black person but I can imagine that if I feel this way I know that other minorities are feeling the exact same way if not even worse...

I guess I am saying as well that I would expect this level of unprofessionalism to be held accountable. I know life is unfair but why would we want to make it harder for our American citizens, regardless of race or class, to succeed in life as something other than an entertainer and or athlete???

Just out of curiosity, what does it take to declare yourself a minority?

I am 50% Italian, as you are. My dad is the baby, and was born in the U.S. but all his older siblings/parents etc were born in Italy and came over when my grandmother was pregnant.

But I definitely do not consider myself a minority. And from what your post says, I'm not sure how you could call this racism, etc...which is what the title of your post implies. It may be, or it could be professors being arrogant and treating you unimportantly...which has happened to me. It is definitely unprofessional, and I'd be pissed too if I were you.

I'm worried this thread is going to be fighting!! Hope not though...:love:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That was a long, ranting post. However, I think I have some advice that you might appreciate.

I dont think it's RACISM or discrimination, I think you just need to CHILL-the-@#$!-OUT. Seriously! Everyone knows somebody who's like you. I'm sorry, but you're "that guy". You're the guy who wears the tie to every lecture, who sits in the front row with dress shoes on, who takes it upon himself to ask an unnecessary question to pimp out his peers. Guess what? You made a bad impression on everyone you interacted with. You probably have an attitude problem that you aren't even aware of. I'm sorry to say that. The best thing you can do is just calm down, take it easy, and be cool.

Also, it's insanely tacky and tasteless of you to post the professor's email message on this public forum... THAT is unprofessional and disrespectful, you should remove it immediately.

Just out of curiosity, what does it take to declare yourself a minority?

I am 50% Italian, as you are. My dad is the baby, and was born in the U.S. but all his older siblings/parents etc were born in Italy and came over when my grandmother was pregnant.

But I definitely do not consider myself a minority. And from what your post says, I'm not sure how you could call this racism, etc...which is what the title of your post implies. It may be, or it could be professors being arrogant and treating you unimportantly...which has happened to me. It is definitely unprofessional, and I'd be pissed too if I were you.

I'm worried this thread is going to be fighting!! Hope not though...:love:

haaa, for one you're hot, but alas, YOU are white... my mother is 100% italian and yes, assimilation of our society has deemed her as a full "white person." So, of course you or her is going to get any type of "daygo" or WOP (with out papers) racism in today's day and age... Fifty years ago YES, but today no. Irish and Italians are considered white and that is really it. However, my lovely Cuban father gave me a little color, think Puerto Rican look, and therefore I know I am not considered ,white."

My point is this, I agree whole heartedly with you that it is probably not racism but it sure sucks to go through it when all your trying to do is become a doctor and succeed in this world.

Posting all of that information in public is very unprofessional:thumbdown:

If you are a troll, you sure are a dedicated one

longest post ever...dont quite see the racism, but I'm not in totally convinced you need to air it all out like this...

That was a long, ranting post. However, I think I have some advice that you might appreciate.

I dont think it's RACISM or discrimination, I think you just need to CHILL-the-@#$!-OUT. Seriously! Everyone knows somebody who's like you. I'm sorry, but you're "that guy". You're the guy who wears the tie to every lecture, who sits in the front row with dress shoes on, who takes it upon himself to ask an unnecessary question to pimp out his peers. Guess what? You made a bad impression on everyone you interacted with. You probably have an attitude problem that you aren't even aware of. I'm sorry to say that. The best thing you can do is just calm down, take it easy, and be cool.

Also, it's insanely tacky and tasteless of you to post the professor's email message on this public forum... THAT is unprofessional and disrespectful, you should remove it immediately.

Dude, no see you're "that PERSON" that feels racism and discrimination doesn't exsist in this world any longer. You're that Person that calls people N words and ****'s behind their backs and thinks you are privillege in society so that is just the way the world works so no one else should question it. Your that "Person." that makes rush judements that people wear ties to class and have attitude problems.

You don't know me from Adam so to make the comments you have are simply, ******ED. As are mine because of the same reason.

Listen we all know it happens but if you can't understand my point or reasoning behind what I am saying just think about it the next time you're in an emergency room and the doctor comes out and you're peeved that he/she doesn't speak any english, or atleast the kind of english to your liking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posting all of that information in public is very unprofessional:thumbdown:

If you are a troll, you sure are a dedicated one

are you kidding me? how would you feel if your University was doing this to you...

By the WAY, I am the world's biggest Penn State / JOE PA fan... I am from Pittsburgh PA... what in the World happened today??? LOL we got spanked.

Isn't AA to make up for this kinda stuff?

Dude, no see you're "that PERSON" that feels racism and discrimination doesn't exsist in this world any longer. You're that Person that calls people N words and ****'s behind their backs and thinks you are privillege in society so that is just the way the world works so no one else should question it. Your that "Person." that makes rush judements that people wear ties to class and have attitude problems.

You don't know me from Adam so to make the comments you have are simply, ******ED. As are mine because of the same reason.

Listen we all know it happens but if you can't understand my point or reasoning behind what I am saying just think about it the next time you're in an emergency room and the doctor comes out and you're peeved that he/she doesn't speak any english, or atleast the kind of english to your liking.

WTF? :confused:

are you kidding me? how would you feel if your University was doing this to you...

By the WAY, I am the world's biggest Penn State / JOE PA fan... I am from Pittsburgh PA... what in the World happened today??? LOL we got spanked.

next year the scores will be reversed

What he said.
They cannot all be racists man. Time to look within.

Btw This story should be told to your close friends not SDN. Long posts like this just make ppl seem dramatic.

Good luck though

Uh huh. I see you've taken my first bit of advice (calm down). Remember to *breathe* too.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Wow. Seriously, cry more noob.

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+

So who is going to be the first one to send an email to Dr. Kantorow?

look I didn't intend to defame anyone, I just wanted to show exactly what happened as it happened... I think it was a SHIPPY thing to do... I am honestly peeved enough to go the dean or even president of the school. I just don't understand why anyone would act like that.

someone is gonna email this whole damn post to your prof and you are going to look like the biggest fool. you need to edit your post immediately

So who is going to be the first one to send an email to Dr. Kantorow?

:laugh: :laugh: then the OP would be in some quagmire **** huh?? Yeah posting that email was so horribly tasteless and childish.

Nikki2002 said:
omeone is gonna email this whole damn post to your prof and you are going to look like the biggest fool. you need to edit your post immediately

exactly... but the reason for editting shouldn't be for fear of reprimand from the professor, it should be because it was insensitive to release that email here in the first place.

Hey Whiney-OP, ever hear of HIPAA?? You should read up on it and rethink what you did here today.

someone is gonna email this whole damn post to your prof and you are going to look like the biggest fool. you need to edit your post immediately

LOL, he is not my proffessor, I don't know him from Adam... Apparently he didn't take the time to get to know me so he doesn't even know who I am. What can he do to me?

LOL, he is not my proffessor, I don't know him from Adam... Apparently he didn't take the time to get to know me so he doesn't even know who I am. What can he do to me?
Faculty within the department ***DO*** interact. I'm pretty sure they could make your life miserable if they wanted to.

Dude, edit the post before you dig yourself a hole you don't want to be in.

I am sorry what did you say about childish? why are you commenting on the post if you have nothing productive to say? I would like for a minority or someone who might have dealt with this to tell me that I was rediculous and childish for posting this. I will take it down immediatley...

$10 says you get a "cannot send/email does not exist"

Edit: Wow, it actually does exist. Bad move

HAHA. I claim the $10.

By the way, OP, if you're trying to get SDNers to agree with you, you're out of luck. We don't know the manner in which they gave off the vibe that screamed racism to you. Maybe it would be more apparent if we were actually there with you when it all happened. It is better to vent to people you know and people who might know the professor too. And you really should change names around for your own sake.

yes but isn't he a prof at your school? what can he do to you? HELLO

honestly, he has nothing to do with me or my major...

and what am I deleting... tell me what I said that was wrong... please tell me and I will remove it..

OP, I agree that you should delete this thread. This website is not anonymous. We know your name, the prof's name, and it's quite possible that he reads SDN too. A thread like this is only going to lead to bad things. If you want the thread deleted and you aren't able to do it, tell me and I'll do it for you.

haaa, for one you're hot, but alas, YOU are white... my mother is 100% italian and yes, assimilation of our society has deemed her as a full "white person." So, of course you or her is going to get any type of "daygo" or WOP (with out papers) racism in today's day and age... Fifty years ago YES, but today no. Irish and Italians are considered white and that is really it. However, my lovely Cuban father gave me a little color, think Puerto Rican look, and therefore I know I am not considered ,white."

My point is this, I agree whole heartedly with you that it is probably not racism but it sure sucks to go through it when all your trying to do is become a doctor and succeed in this world.

I'm unsure then why it was the title AND why everyone is hating on everyone. Lots of things suck when you're trying to become a doctor. Like spending your time reading SDN all night instead of finishing that last secondary....

Can't we all just get along:love: :love:

OP, I agree that you should delete this thread. This website is not anonymous. We know your name, the prof's name, and it's quite possible that he reads SDN too. A thread like this is only going to lead to bad things. If you want the thread deleted and you aren't able to do it, tell me and I'll do it for you.

I can delete his name that is fine... but I don't feel that is necessarily right.

and no I am sure he doesn't read this... he is a PhD

I am sorry what did you say about childish? why are you commenting on the post if you have nothing productive to say? I would like for a minority or someone who might have dealt with this to tell me that I was rediculous and childish for posting this. I will take it down immediatley...

I am a minority, I have had weird things happen to me and my friends. We do not post them on SDN..............

Take it down immediately.
And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Yea. It might be a crappy and frustrating thing but the race deal didn't really seem applicable. I mean..I've had plenty of questionable things said to my face from the WASP community I was from...but the woah is me, looking latino card is a difficult one to play in Miami where approx 65 percent of the population is hispanic/latino. If we are stretching it that far we can call you racist for assuming all cubans and italians have dark hair and a light brown skin coloration. I have a good friend born and raised in italy who has blonde hair and blue eyes. I do wish you best of luck in your pursuit for medical school and I can't hate you if anything because you like JoePa...but beware of what you post on here. When you are posting people's names, addresses and whatever else with such negative comments bad stuff can happen...odds are it won't but it is better something left untouched.

I can delete his name that is fine... but I don't feel that is necessarily right.

PhDs read this site too :) you're replying to one!!!! Double-doctor!!

Dude, so am I. And I even mod here. :rolleyes: This prof teaches premeds. It's totally possible that he reads SDN. One of my premed students told me about this site two years ago, and that's how I joined.

All right, suit yourself. It's your funeral, not mine. But you shouldn't post other people's private communications on SDN. So you need to delete the email that he sent to you.

Okay - I agree and I don't agree with the post.

You're experiences sound pretty crappy - sorry to hear that. The 2nd scenario was prolly not racism but was discriminatory - b/c of that email you sent and the free review sessions. Again - it's wrong that you got screwed b/c of it BUT that's something you'll never be able to prove. Example - Dr. Spaceballs has 5 positions in his lab - 4 are filled by males. He posts a position ad and in the back of his mind, would like to keep the lab diverse - so all applicants sending him resumes who are male are disregarded b/c he wants to hire a female. Dr. Spaceballs will not openly say it of course and because the process of reviewing resumes and interviewing is subjective - you'll never be able to prove this discriminating act. So I understand what you mean when you say it's not racism but it's in the back of my head b/c you just never know...well, no one will ever know. Let's say I had a little quarrel with a stranger at the mall, and let's say by coincidence he applied for a job at my company - if i was doing the hiring, and he shows up at the interview and i recognize him as the jacka** from the mall - I won't hire him even if he was the most qualified and had the best interview - but he can't prove that I was biased against him.

Your last part of the paragraph sorta makes u look like a troll.

First, US medical schools give preference and have quotas on the proportion of seats they give to in-state and OOS American citizens. second goes to permanent residents. They don't bias against Americans.

2nd - America is a highly developed nation and in the international world in which we live - ppl travel to different places to do research, do fellowships, etc. There are Americans in academic institutions in "foreigner" countries too. Universities advertise post-doc, fellowships, and facutly positions internationally so the best minds take up these spots - citizeship and race etc doesn't mean crap all in the world of academia. Plus, it's better for schools to have faculty from diverse backgrounds, that's why you see "foreigners" - diversity = some unexplainable chemistry that leads to learning new ways of thinking, new perspectives and consequently innovation and moving forward. Get with the program buddy.

Lastly - east and south asians are not foreigners. Some are also American like you and even if they weren't born in America, they are citizen's and that makes them equal to you- if they can achieve upward social mobility, that's great, that's what being American is about, they're not taking jacks**** away from you. It's funny, you say you are American but you don't even understand what it means to be American. I'm not even American.

Affirmative Action,

Just to reply, the only thing I saw as peripherally racist was the fact that the Dr. referred you to a good deal of minority researchers. But even that could be purely coincidental based on the availablity and number of researchers in a particular field. It's okay to be pissed because you were done wrong, but don't post stuff like this in forums for everyone to see. I could definitely backfire :(

look I am not calling this Doctor Racist... I honestly am not. I am saying that when people do this type of thing it sucks... and when you are a minority it sucks two fold because you think that it is more in the back of your mind... I wish people would try to understand where I am comming from...

Status
Not open for further replies.