Examples Of Clinical Experience- Direct From Med School Website!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shehak20000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there's been a lot of confusion and talk about what "is" and what "is not" clinical experience. I myself posted q's about whether what I was doing was considered clinical experience or not. I'm copying and pasting this information from the wayne state medical school admissions page. here is the link:

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/preparing/index.asp

and here is the site copied....

Hospital-Patient Care Experiences
Below are some examples of where students may participate in patient care activities and types of responsibilities in which they become involved.

Hospital—Volunteer or paid
Phlebotomist
Patient Transport
Nurse’s Aide
Candy Striper
ER Technician—Patient transport, take vital signs

Nursing Home
Aide - Play cards, entertain, comfort, talk with walk, exercise, technician, and provide companionship.

Hospice Care (in all major cities, receiving training from Hospice)
Drive to doctor appointments, cook, feed, bathe, help dress, give meds, provide companionship and care.

Home Health Care
Patient Attendant - Provide care and assistance to patients that are infirm or handicapped. For example, drive to doctor visits, bathe, cook, change colostomy bags, provide comfort, companionship, assist in daily living.

Shadow Physician
Spend entire day with physicians - Observe life of doctor in day-to-day activities, go on rounds.

EMT Certification
Ride in ambulance and provide care as needed, work at large public gatherings such as concerts and sports events.

Medical Assistant
Assist doctor in their offices. Greet patients, verify insurance, take history and vital signs, weigh patients, take patients to room.

Personal & Experiential Factors (non-Cognitive)
Ability to interact in a group
Caring for others (ability to relate with others/empathy)
Commitment to Medicine
Intellectual Curiosity
Maturity
Motivation
Self Reliance
Suitability for WSU Program
Reaction to Stress
Self Appraisal

That should solve a lot of questions!
(a lot of people myself included were wondering if being a caretaker to people with disabilities was considered clinical....according to this medical schoool it is)

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course, these are all valid experiences which will give you insight into the medical community and improve your patient interaction skills etc. However, you really do need to have some physician exposure before you apply. Otherwise medical schools have no way of knowing if you really understand what being a doctor entails.

nice find.. thanks for sharing. In the end, it can all be summarized by LizzyM's sig.

Shadowing + another EC which puts you directly around patients is a great combo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe they're still using the term "candy striper". That went out with mutton-chops...

Good list, though...

Nice info! Thanks!

Lizzy, I love the siggy!