Clinical Experience Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace Kearney

Reaction score
Clinical experience is something about my application that’s always on my mind and I just wanted to get a second opinion from some people. So in terms of what I already have… I’ve worked at an internal Medicine office for about a year and a half now doing mixed responsibilities. I would say I have about 2,000 hours working in total. Half of that would be direct patient (basic vitals, rooming, getting them set up for their appointment) and the other half indirect (medical documents and appointment scheduling).

I wanted to get some more hands on experience but I don’t want to pay for any extra certificates so I recently got hired at the Red Cross to get trained as a phlebotomist. I’ve read some mixed opinions about whether or not this counts as clinical (mostly regarding the fact that some people don’t see donors as patients). So I recognize this is be on the lower end of clinical experience but I will be performing mini physical exams, drawing blood etc.

I am currently in my gap year so I think the Red Cross job combined with my job at the doctors office is decent. I’m also looking at volunteering at local hospitals for some extra experience to really cement the “clinical” setting in my app but I’m having some trouble setting that up.

I live in a small town away from bigger areas so finding opportunities has been a struggle for me so any suggestions are appreciated! Thinking about this always gets me so stress because I feel like I’m not doing enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you already got a lot of clinical experience and are set on attaining some more. Don't forget to continue doing non-clinical community work/volunteering as well. If you find the clinical side of the IM office fulfilling or inspiring towards your medical goals, I think that would be more valuable for your app/interview than additional clinical work for clinical work's sake.

Edit: After reviewing the post again, I'm not sure what question you're asking. I responded to if you were wondering if you were headed on the right direction to get more hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical experience is something about my application that’s always on my mind and I just wanted to get a second opinion from some people. So in terms of what I already have… I’ve worked at an internal Medicine office for about a year and a half now doing mixed responsibilities. I would say I have about 2,000 hours working in total. Half of that would be direct patient (basic vitals, rooming, getting them set up for their appointment) and the other half indirect (medical documents and appointment scheduling).

I wanted to get some more hands on experience but I don’t want to pay for any extra certificates so I recently got hired at the Red Cross to get trained as a phlebotomist. I’ve read some mixed opinions about whether or not this counts as clinical (mostly regarding the fact that some people don’t see donors as patients). So I recognize this is be on the lower end of clinical experience but I will be performing mini physical exams, drawing blood etc.

I am currently in my gap year so I think the Red Cross job combined with my job at the doctors office is decent. I’m also looking at volunteering at local hospitals for some extra experience to really cement the “clinical” setting in my app but I’m having some trouble setting that up.

I live in a small town away from bigger areas so finding opportunities has been a struggle for me so any suggestions are appreciated! Thinking about this always gets me so stress because I feel like I’m not doing enough.
The clinical experience you already have is sufficient. You don't need to volunteer at a local hospital to gain more unless you want to and it would add variety. Don't forget shadowing of physicians is expected; about 50 hours is enough. And don't forget to get in some nonclinical volunteering that helps those in need, ideally serving people unlike yourself. The Red Cross job is a means to gain income. It is unlikely to make or break your application.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you already got a lot of clinical experience and are set on attaining some more. Don't forget to continue doing non-clinical community work/volunteering as well. If you find the clinical side of the IM office fulfilling or inspiring towards your medical goals, I think that would be more valuable for your app/interview than additional clinical work for clinical work's sake.

Edit: After reviewing the post again, I'm not sure what question you're asking. I responded to if you were wondering if you were headed on the right direction to get more hours.
Yes thank you!! I just always get so stress about it so I wanted to get a second opinion about it

After you get certified, you are doing clinical work. At the minimum, you have a clinical skill that will be very helpful when you have to show other students how to do a stick.

Phlebotomy is most certainly clinical—you are putting needles into living patients!

• Love