What counts as "research" when applying for radiology residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you all speak of "research," does it matter how far down an author list you are when applying to residencies, or does it just matter that you are just listed as a coauthor? In addition, does it matter when the research was performed? Do programs prefer applicants who have participated in research projects during school or do pre-medschool publications count just as much?

Specifically, I'm referring to some large, multi-center studies I was involved in before med school. There were lots of authors listed including myself. Does this count as valid "research" in the eyes of residencies? I certainly did a ton of work for these papers, but I am totally buried on the author list on a couple of my publications.

Also, does it matter that none of my research experience was related to radiology? It was mostly neurology/neuropathology, i.e. parkinsons and alzheimer stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

as long as your name is on the paper, then it should count. also, if i were you, i would be able to speak intelligently about the entire paper, even if you only contributed in a very specific way.

obviously radiology research is better than non-radiology research is better than no research. some people might even argue that clinical research is better than basic science research, but i'm not so sure. certainly there are plenty of people in radiology residencies right now without any research and without radiology research. it should be considered as part of the bigger picture along with ECs, LORs, volunteering, etc., whereas a good step I score should probably be considered an absolute necessity.

Here is an exercise.

Look at research from the program director's point of view. If you are a PD at a top twenty academic radiology residency why would you want someone to have research on their ERAS?

Answer: It increases the chance that this applicant will publish research during residency (or as an academic radiologist). It is as simple as that. First Author shows that YOU typed up the manuscript. Any other authorships just says you were just part of it (which is better than nothing). A PD with a choice would prefer someone with experience typing up a radiology paper (i.e. First Author). If you published in college but not in medical school, what makes a PD believe you will publish as a resident when there is less hand holding and more reading?

Top Academic Institutions have gained that positioned by research not by teaching. Thus, if you want to be at the top research residencies you have to show evidence (or potential) of future radiology research. If you become a top researcher in radiology you make the program look good.

On the other hand, having research is not needed at community radiology programs. In fact, having too much research might hurt your application at community programs because they might fear that their program is not a good "fit" based on your CV. (As an aside, I've heard numerous radiologists tell me that community programs give much better teaching and practical training) Research in radiology depends on whether you see a career in academic radiology or private practice radiology. Of course, no 4th year medical student ever thinks of these things but if you did it would make picking residencies much easier. Keep in mind about 90% of radiologists are private practice radiologists. Yet every 4th year medical student would like to attend a top twenty radiology program that focuses on producing future attendings that does research in radiology. ;)

Bottomline: What is your motive? Is it to match at a top program or is it to just Match in radiology? Research plays a different role in each circumstance. One thing that all radiologists will agree is that research in radiology is a strong component of ERAS because it shows commitment to the field. These individuals are less likely to enter radiology for artificial fruits such as a perceived lifestyle or financial advantage.