Small Hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year, and I did my first pelvic exam on a standardized patient yesterday. Everything was going fine until the bimanual exam, and then I couldn't get my fingers in far enough to get underneath her cervix to push her uterus up! I tried for several minutes, and felt so sorry for the poor patient, who kept telling me that I had just slipped off of her cervix again. I finally got it, but it took an incredibly long time. I understand that I'm going to get more proficient at the exam the more times that I do it, but I'm wondering if I will ever be able to overcome my short fingers? I knew exactly where her cervix was, and what I was SUPPOSED to do, but it was just very difficult for me to get in far enough to do it. Anyway, I'm asking because I've always assumed I would do OB/GYN, but one of my friends told me that I should probably look into another specialty, since my fingers won't grow anytime soon.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say this is almost definitly a matter of technique vs. anatomic impossibility. I have never met someone who was physically unable to do a pelvic exam, including some girls with very small hands. Most likely you were more self concious than you realize and while you may have felt like you were reaching as far as you physically could, you probably weren't. It takes a lot of practice and if you have someone with a retroverted uterus, it can be difficult even with large hands. I'd give yourself a few more goes at it before you write off the specialty :)

I agree that this is more a matter of technique, experience, and comfort level. I have tiny hands (my glove size is a 5 1/2 or 6) and initially had the same concern. However, after practice you learn how to accomodate.

Definitely don't write off ob/gyn simply for this reason!

Members don't see this ad :)
Women need more OB/GYNs with small hands, not less. Please stick with it :) .

I have tiny hands-- size 6 gloves. It takes practice!

Being able to do a bimanual takes a lot of experience perhaps after 50-100 exams I felt confident. As far as small hands you need to use both hands to assist with a bimanual on a non gravid uterus feeling for the fundus with the opposite hand while you palpate the cervix and adnexa. Degowins Physical exam book gives an excellent methodology. Good luck. And as the others have said-- don't write off the speciality based on one or two exams.\\

In addition small hands are very valuable at being able to complete bimanual extraction of retained products, breech deliveries, and even cerclages!

Good luck
Diane

Dude/Dudette, consider yourself blessed in having small hands... As I told our interns at the beginning of the year; the cervical check on a laboring patient and GYN (annual exam) bimanuals. Several techniques (aside from lots and lots and lots of practice as Diane mentioned) are these:
1. On a laboring patient with posterior cervix ask her nicely to make two fists and put them on the small of their back... this brings the cervix up higher into your reach and makes them more comfortable in the process.
2. Practice as many bimanuals as you can before all your Gyn and Onc cases to get the best appreciation...and also don't be afraid to do the rectovaginal on your annuals (I know some residents shy away from this)
3. And lastly on your TV sonos (this will hit you as an intern in ER at 3 am :D ) gently sweep your hand from either lower quadrant toward the pubis, this will bring the ovaries in view if you're having a hard time visualizing them

Hope this helps

GD