Small town with great family life, Big hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dixiechicken

PGY-3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Temple is a small town with a big hospital. The town is around 50,000 but Scott and White is a non-profit physician run HMO and hospital that serves 21 counties. There is very little traffic, very affordable housing, but not much in the way of night-life. We have a mall, a movie theater, Target, lots of restaurants, 2 gyms. Austin, Waco and Killeen all have better malls, eating places and night-life, and are 20-45 min away. Great public and private school districts nearby.

S&W is a private hospital affiliated with the Texas A&M med school. The OB/GYN program takes 4 each year. I think the faculty provide a well rounded experience. We have 2 MFMs, one Onc, two REs, and three UroGyns one of which is world renound, a PhD Embryologist who coordinates the research and around 10 generalists. They are all great teachers and work well with residents.

We just opened a brand new hospital with a new L&D. We get excellent training in forceps and vaccum deliveries. Our generalists are performing laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomies and very many vaginal hysterectomies. The Urogynecology department is growing by leaps and bounds, a 3 year fellowship program is just starting.

It is a great place to raise a family. The call schedule is one of the best in the country.

The website is www.sw.org follow the links to residency programs.
Let me know if you have any questions,

Jason PGY-3:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of months into my third year (surgeon/assist)
vag 263/52, c/s 111/7 forceps 19/9 vacuum 15/3
abd hyst 22/6 vag hyst 1/20 urogyn 3/38
hysteroscopy 11/4 cone 11/1

My other 3rd years have more vag hyst than I do, luck of the draw sometimes.

Email if you have any more questions
Jason