Those with low end GPAs (3.4 and less) accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malisa

OB/Gyn
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some words of encouragement. I'll be applying next year with a 3.3 overall GPA and instead of posting a what are my chances thread I just wanted to know what kind of luck people were having so far. I know I need to make a pretty high MCAT to compensate for my low GPA so I just wanted to make an estimate with other people's info. Thanks.

So what were your stats when you were accepted? Also did you have something else going for you like research papers?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted some words of encouragement. I'll be applying next year with a 3.3 overall GPA and instead of posting a what are my chances thread I just wanted to know what kind of luck people were having so far. I know I need to make a pretty high MCAT to compensate for my low GPA so I just wanted to make an estimate with other people's info. Thanks.

So what were your stats when you were accepted? Also did you have something else going for you like research papers?

Hey there. I'm an MSIV and I can give you some encouragement. My cumulative GPA from undergrad was a 3.3something (I think 3.34), MCAT was 34. I applied kind of half-assed because I didn't think I'd get in right away, but I did. I'm graduating in six months, I was in the top quartile of my class for third year, and did very well on my boards. Do well on your MCAT, think about taking a year off and doing something interesting with it (I worked in a doctor's office as a clinical supervisor), and get your applications in early. With some hard work it is certainly possible!

3.2 cumalative, 5 interviews so far, so booyah.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope my story is encouraging...

I'm applying to medical school this year with a 3.26 overall GPA, 3.16 GPA science GPA, and a 32 MCAT....(I attended UC Berkeley and am a California resident). So far I've gotten three interviews at Eastern Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, and New York Medical College....and was recently accepted at Virginia Commonwealth a couple days ago (THANK GOD!!!!....I've partied so hard, this is the first morning I've had without a hangover). I applied to 41 schools and have been rejected to one (Boston University) so far.

What really stood out in my application was my research. I did a lot of basic science and clinical research which helped me show that I was capable in science, and because I did the research I got some really kick ass letters of recommendation (which was what my interviewer at Virginia commonwealth told me). What I REALLY recommend is applying early, like gettin your primary in on June 1st and gettin in your secondary apps as soon as possible. It is such a big advantage. Also, any flaws on your application just address them directly and never try to avoid them, they like it when you're being completely honest. I hope this helps and best of luck to you!!!

Reactions: 1 users

My gpa was a little lower than yours. It's a tough road, but it's doable. I had no research on my application, a pretty solid amount of volunteering, and the benefit of showing i could balance a full-time job with classes to prepare for med school.

my story: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3606

you can do it, you just gotta be on top of things. i also put a lot of effort into my personal statement, made sure i applied as early as possible, and turned around every single secondary within 24 hours of receiving it. show the schools how much you want it, and you'll get it.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just accepted to an M.D. program with a 3.39 BCPM and a 29Q MCAT. However, I did have a post baccalaureate science GPA of 3.77.

I was just accepted to an M.D. program with a 3.39 BCPM and a 29Q MCAT. However, I did have a post baccalaureate science GPA of 3.77.

I just got an acceptance today. I had a cumulative 3.35 and a 30M on the MCAT. no post-bacc work or anything. You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for all the replies! This really makes me feel a lot better about things. I know I should have studied harder for all my classes and as you can tell by my GPA I made a lot of B's. I'm going to take either the Jan or April MCAT. I know I'm definitely going to get my application as early as possible because it seems like that does make a huge difference. I will have a year off because this is my senior year now. I work in a research lab (chemopreventative cancer research blah blah blah) but it's not my own work I'm just a lab assistant. So in my year off I'm going to continue working in the lab. Should I take any classes after I graduate. Since I will be applying at that point will they want to know I'm taking classes at that time? Will it even make a difference or should I basically just work and volunteer?

Awesome so if I do end up with like a 3.3 or 3.2 theres a chance phew. I still have a fighting chance, considering my freshmen year GPA was terrible.

3.1= cumulative. post bacc GPA= 3.9
6 interviews so far and counting!
keep hope alive!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully I can add my input to this thread before this year is up.

I'm an MS1 and I had a 3.34 cum, 3.1 sci and a 32Q, I had three acceptances and a waitlist at UCLA. As long as you have a strong upward trend in your grades. can explain what happened early on, and rock the MCAT to prove that in the end you get it, a low gpa won't hold you back.

I think SDN definitely needs more threads like this one! The truth is, many people are accepted to medical school in the 3.2-3.5 gpa range ( I put 3.2 and up b.c that is the cutoff for many medical school secondaries). It is just imperative that you have a solid MCAT and make sure to be a well rounded individual. Plus, if you really feel like your chances are slim then just let it all go in your interview and be as relaxed and personable as possible. Let the other guy freak out with his 3.8 and 32R.

3.4ish gpa, 35 mcat. so far: 5 interviews, 1 acceptance =), 1 hold, 1 rejection. just remember that the numbers definitely aren't everything, and that being realistic definitely helps! i had lots of lab and volunteer experience, took time off, etc. just work hard on what you still can, and you'll make it.

We are numbers twins....exactly. Kinda weird...

I would just like to say, I love all of you people out there, like me, who did something in college other than captain the nerd patrol. The world needs doctors like us, not the socially inept who haunted the libraries during the best four years of their lives. I'm applying now, (really late because of Aug MCAT) but I'll post if I get any invites etc...

Had Fun in college, 3.32, 3.16 BCPM, but I still think I can cut it.

I would just like to say, I love all of you people out there, like me, who did something in college other than captain the nerd patrol. The world needs doctors like us, not the socially inept who haunted the libraries during the best four years of their lives. I'm applying now, (really late because of Aug MCAT) but I'll post if I get any invites etc...

I am sorry, but I can't agree with the tone of your post.

Why insult the students who worked hard through their undergrad years and therefore got a high GPA? They will have a easier time to get into a school of their dreams and they deserve it.

Having a low GPA make admission to med school FAR more difficult and that's the way it should be. The positive stories here are inspirational, but they are not representative of the application experience of the majority of people who have low GPA.

3.45 GPA here, 3.3 BCMP.

I had a crappy freshman year but a good upswing. The breakdown was 3.0, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 for my 4 years. It did take me two times applying, and i retook the MCAT after first getting a 29...and i got a 30 the second time. Had some solid volunteering, a few jobs...nothing earth shattering. Almost no research, I disliked it. I'm an MS1...it's difficult but I'm getting it done.

you are assuming that people that do well don't party. most of the smartest people i've ever known party ther brains out and still get ridiculous grades. thats just how it is. dont hate, acknowledge.

but i understand what you mean about people that just work and work and work to get the grades. good for them that they're driven... but i feel when im 60, i know what ill remember about college.

you are assuming that people that do well don't party. most of the smartest people i've ever known party ther brains out and still get ridiculous grades. thats just how it is. dont hate, acknowledge.

but i understand what you mean about people that just work and work and work to get the grades. good for them that they're driven... but i feel when im 60, i know what ill remember about college.

Yeah...the assumption that high gpa means no partying is not at all correct. I know ppl who studied like crazy to get high gpa's because they were biochem or engineering majors but I also know some who just cruised through undergrad because they had easier majors, and partied all the time except when they had some test or paper due, also I know some ppl who were part of a pre-professionals program who had a guaranteed seat into medical school straight out of high school, so they usually breezed through their classes and didnt study for months on the MCATS

Hey, I just got conditionally accepted to USUHS with a 3.33 overall, 32 on the MCAT. It puts you at a disadvantage, but its not impossible, especially if you get all your stuff in early, have good recs and good activities, and you're not a bumbling idiot in the interview.

I got accepted to a DO school so far...

All right all right, that wasn't meant to be poop slinging fest on the smart kids, just trying to make us feel better, thats all. Sometimes during this process its hard to remember that outside of the med-school application world a 3.3 isn't shabby at all.

It makes me want to punch everyone in the face when people with 3.8 GPAs make comments that those of us with lower GPAs should have worked harder. I worked 20 hours/week, was V.P. of my sorority, and majored in a non-science which, although everyone assumes is easy, actually means that you have to take twice as many classes to finish on time. But the beautiful thing is that once you get that acceptance letter, everyone is equal again and it really doesn't matter. Big hugs to everyone putting their success stories up here, I can't wait till it's me!

It makes me want to punch everyone in the face when people with 3.8 GPAs make comments that those of us with lower GPAs should have worked harder. I worked 20 hours/week, was V.P. of my sorority, and majored in a non-science which, although everyone assumes is easy, actually means that you have to take twice as many classes to finish on time. But the beautiful thing is that once you get that acceptance letter, everyone is equal again and it really doesn't matter. Big hugs to everyone putting their success stories up here, I can't wait till it's me!

Just come to your interviews in your red velour onesie, and you're in.

(not a creeper)

congrats to all of you

that's awesome...keep on striving at the next level

for those who might be looking for a backup just in case this doesnt pan out, apply to special masters program, those tend to be second chance type of programs

3.4 Cum 3.2 Science 30 Mcat - GW class of 2011 =) anything is possiblE!!!

this made me feel so much better... only because I am doing so horribly in Organic Chem, but I still have alot more science classes to take... so no worries but I am glad that you guys posted... it made me feel a whole lot better... congrats to everyone... and now i can stress less...

Just come to your interviews in your red velour onesie, and you're in.
Absolutely loved this... now all i have to do now is get that onesie...LOL

you don't need a 3.5+ and 30+ to get into med school. it would help.. but it's not necessary ;)

you don't need a 3.5+ and 30+ to get into med school. it would help.. but it's not necessary ;)

I concur. 3.45 overall, 3.3 BCMP, 31 MCAT. applied 13, 8 interviews so far including hopkins, U chicago and Northwestern. 1 acceptance so far. traditional student-no year off

I think I take the cake with my impressive 2.8 Ugrad overall ~2.8 BCMP 33MCAT. Had to a 1 year graduate program but am in med school.

Holy crud instate, you make my hope sparkle like it was cleaned with windex.

I concur. 3.45 overall, 3.3 BCMP, 31 MCAT. applied 13, 8 interviews so far including hopkins, U chicago and Northwestern. 1 acceptance so far. traditional student-no year off

wow...this is quite cool.

Do you also have super vision and ability to fly? Wow, congrates. With your stats, your EC must be solid. Good luck :luck: :luck:

We are numbers twins....exactly. Kinda weird...

That is pretty funny, how has your application experience been with those numbers? So far so good for me. It hasnt been the terror I was expecting!

3.26 overall,
3.6 science

3.92 in bost bac

5 interviews so far, no acceptance

If I could do i all again I would have a 4.0 through college because I wuold have enlightened myself sooner to the importance of grades.:mad: <-at myself

I admire people that were able to do that all the way through.

I wanted to bring this thread back to see if there are any new success stories in the new cycle... Inspire us please!

i know someone who had a 3.3 gpa and 36 mcat and got into harvard this cycle. kind of unfair, some might say...

i dont know what happened to me during ug (2.77 gpa). did a DIY (do-it-yourself) postbac at the local university 3.6, did an SMP at BU 3.79. 31 O MCAT and so far have an acceptance, waiting on another school. This is my first cycle applying too, so it's definitely POSSIBLE! seriously, i dont know where i'd be w/o the SMP (and even then, i think the school that accepted me was gracious enough (if that's the right word?) to accept me).

you wont know how far you go unless you try! :)

Me: caucasian, 3.47 (w/ 5 w's and an F), 33 MCAT, got way too many interviews, accepted at Columbia, Pitt, Case, and U Wisc (OOS)

My s.o.: overrepresented minority, 3.3 something, higher MCAT, got accepted at Case and is presently on a bevy of waitlists.

We both went to small LAC, applied to a TON of schools, and got plenty of rejections.

Reactions: 1 user
3.3 science, 3.3 overall, 31 MCAT.

3 interviews and once acceptance

it can be done!

The GPA is not as important as the MCAT for most medical school admissions. Compensate for a lower GPA with a higher MCAT.

The average matriculating MCAT from last year's class would be a great starting point to know where you stand. In 2001 and 2002, the average MCAT of a candidate accepted to an American allopathic medical school was 30. It's probably gone up since then.

Best wishes.

i had a 3.35 (3.23 science) when i applied, 31 mcat. 3 interviews 2 acceptances. just make sure your personal statement is quality and that you have LOTS of clinical exposure. i think my clinical exposure is what put me over the top. best of luck to you.