Med Peds Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpeds2007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will anyone who has already started interviewing please post your impressions and experiences at med-peds programs?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having met the first batch of would be U of L residents at the begining of the month I must say I am impressed. I can't wait to meet more of my future med-peds fellow residents!

Having met the first batch of would be U of L residents at the begining of the month I must say I am impressed. I can't wait to meet more of my future med-peds fellow residents!

See you 2 weeks from today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey do you guys do this? myinterviewtrail.com
Helps with sharing hotel rooms or transportation or just connecting with other people who are interviewing at the same time. Pretty nifty

Michigan- just my impressions, overall really liked it
Pros
Friendly residents- really seem to get along with each other
Front-loaded- which is my preference (seems like q4 call ~10mo intern year and then night float kicks in)
Resident Assistants- just started in med, already around for peds, where these people follow around the post-call intern and help them get their scut work done so they can go home
Ann Arbor seems like a great city- small, but with a surprising amount of stuff to do for the size (I had some great cheap sushi while there :) )
Good IM morning report- though a little formal compared to what I'm used to.
Electronic notes/medical records/orders
Good size (8 residents/yr)- enough to be their own program, but not massive
Residents seem to get to go to their pick of fellowships
Get lunch most times on Peds, some days on IM

Cons
Heavy workload- although they say they still have time to read, etc.
New Children's Hospital- in 2011, after we all finish
Cold
Limited elective time early- but more late
Only one month PICU- personal preference for more
Pay for parking
Ave. Housing costs ~$200-240,000- not terrible, 50/50 own/rent

What did you think?

Very Nice. All the residents were very nice and helpful. PD was cheery and delightful. Hospital was impressive, espically Kosairs childrens hospital. I think I would fit in nicely.
A little scared about having a interm PD.
Curious to see how teaching will be with continuity clinic in community clinics.

Overall very nice.

Very Nice. All the residents were very nice and helpful. PD was cheery and delightful. Hospital was impressive, espically Kosairs childrens hospital. I think I would fit in nicely.
A little scared about having a interm PD.
Curious to see how teaching will be with continuity clinic in community clinics.

Overall very nice.

We are a little nervous about it too... but Dr. Muchant has stepped right in and ensured we are staying on track with RRC requirements, so there should not be any problems there. Like it or not, not matter where you go for training, there is always change, and it's only as bad as you let it be.

I'm really glad you like it. I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with all of you, but clinic duty called. Take care and good luck with the match. Hope to see your smiling face here on June 20th (or so).

Michigan- just my impressions, overall really liked it
Pros
Friendly residents- really seem to get along with each other
Front-loaded- which is my preference (seems like q4 call ~10mo intern year and then night float kicks in)
Resident Assistants- just started in med, already around for peds, where these people follow around the post-call intern and help them get their scut work done so they can go home
Ann Arbor seems like a great city- small, but with a surprising amount of stuff to do for the size (I had some great cheap sushi while there :) )
Good IM morning report- though a little formal compared to what I'm used to.
Electronic notes/medical records/orders
Good size (8 residents/yr)- enough to be their own program, but not massive
Residents seem to get to go to their pick of fellowships
Get lunch most times on Peds, some days on IM

Cons
Heavy workload- although they say they still have time to read, etc.
New Children's Hospital- in 2011, after we all finish
Cold
Limited elective time early- but more late
Only one month PICU- personal preference for more
Pay for parking
Ave. Housing costs ~$200-240,000- not terrible, 50/50 own/rent

I'm curious as the their fellowship placement. What specialties did they go into? Where? Can you provide any more info on this? Thanks!

I'm curious as the their fellowship placement. What specialties did they go into? Where? Can you provide any more info on this? Thanks!

Sorry it's taken me so long, I've been out of town. Anyhoo, here's the link to their website with all of their fellowship placement info.

http://www.med.umich.edu/intmed/med-peds/grads.htm

Good luck to everyone making decisions and finishing up interviews!

Pros:
-very well run/well established program
-program director is very dedicated to the program (actually found out that she petitioned to create the program and was in the first class to train there. Now she is PD which was her ultimate career goal, so I don't think she'll be going anywhere!)
-really friendly residents--seem to be a really tight-knit group, especially within each class because they rotate between IM and peds together
-Cincinnati children's is AWESOME! Beautiful facility, great ancillary staff (from what I was told) and they are very good to their residents
-Med/Peds combined clinic is perhaps the best in the nation! 60-40 split (confirmed by report that shows your patient diagnoses for that year), lots of med-peds faculty there in clinic with you, and the facility is nice
-Nice perks--salary is pretty good for the area, parking ends up being paid for on both ends
-low cost of living in the area--could definitely buy a house, especially on the Kentucky side of the river
-Call is front loaded (Amen!)
-Less in-house call on medicine side thanks to EIP
-Excellent board pass rates
-Family friendly program
-Most fellowships available

Cons:
-Medicine side not very impressive...not bad, but not impressive. The categorical IM program would probably be considered mid-tier, while peds categorical is definitely top-tier. If you are looking for a balanced program this could be a little concerning, although not necessarily a deal breaker.
-16 month intern year
-Most fellowships available=lots of fellows. This seemed to come up alot on the peds side, as people were concerned that the services were mostly fellow-run.
-Area around the hospital is kind of shady (and there aren't many food options around, which could make call painful)
-It's in Cincinnati

I'm sure that there is much more, but I'm only hitting the high points. Overall, a really strong program! :thumbup:

Pros:
-Great residents! They were all really friendly and helpful.
-PD is a huge advocate for the Med-Peds residents (and seems to be just a nice guy overall)
-Lots of didactic teaching (I was impressed with the morning report on both sides)
-Acute Care Series for interns (common situations that interns will face and how to handle them)
-100% ABIM and ABP pass rates (and 100% of graduates take both)
-lots of Med-Peds faculty
-Combined med-peds clinic during 2nd, 3rd and 4th years at one of two outpatient clinics in the community. You work side by side with Med-Peds faculty, which was a plus for me.
-Nice facilities
-Perks--book allowance, pay for portion of licensing fees, board prep books paid for (PREP, MKSAP, MedStudy)
-International electives available
-Night float system (on gen IM service on call team stops taking admissions at 11pm and night float takes over)
-Call schedule front loaded!! (LOVE IT!)
-Free lunch most days and ~$12/call night for dinner (can use Tarheel take out which is a take-out company that will deliver from 22 different area restaurants!!) Not sure if this is only on the peds side or not (learned this from the peds chief.)
-Beautiful area! Low cost of living, so you can definitely buy a home
-UNC basketball tickets easy to get!

Cons:
-Rotate at Wake Med and Moses Cone hospitals that are 20 and 40 miles away. (Although they do give you a gas card for that month and I hear that the residents car pool.)
-great area for married residents, not so much if you are single
-Large majority of residents go into primary care. Not sure the program kind of steers them that way or not, but only 22% do subspecialties.
-Children's hospital not as busy as some others that I've seen (only 6,000 admissions per year) and they admit that they don't get as much bread and butter peds at the children's hospital, which is why you rotate through the community hospitals
-Duke closeby, which doesn't necessarily affect the number of patients that you see, but does seem to affect the types of patients. (Duke is better known for certain things so they get those patients, and same for UNC. Apparently you see lots of Crohn's, UC, IBD, etc at UNC, which is great if you want to do GI.)

Overall great program!