em pa study in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

Role of Physician Assistants in the accident and emergency departments in the UK
Ansari U, Ansari M, Gipson K. Accident and Emergency Department; Warwick Hospital, UK
Published in 11th International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Halifax, Nova SCotia, Canada, June 3-7 2006 and Journal of Canadian Emergency Medicine, May 2006, Vol 8 No 3 (Suppl) P583

Introduction: The Accident and Emergency departments in the UK are under severe pressure to expand their staffing levels in a bid to try and comply with the 98% target for 4-hour waiting times set by the government. Increasing staffing levels is proving to be very difficult when a majority of Staff Grades have already left or are leaving to become General Practitioners for financial gains and better working hours. This combined with a limited number of FY2 doctors being allowed to work in Accident and Emergency departments poses new challenges to staffing within Accident and Emergency. The objective of this study was to evaluate the training requirements, GMC regulations and supervision required to perform a suitable role in Accident and EMergency following the appointment of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital, Birmingham. Methods: The activities of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital were monitored for two months. All case records were reviewed and the number and type of patients seen by the assistants recorded. These were then compared with the records of those patients seen by Senior House Officers. Monitored information included number of patients seen, type of patients seen as well as the quality of the notes. Results: On average, Physician Assistants at City Hospital treated 3-5 patients/hour compared to 1.5-2.5/hour seen by Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants were able to deal with most medical, surgical, orthopaedic and gynaecological problems with minimal supervision. The medical records revealed that documentation was better by Physician Assistants. Conclusion: Senior Physician Assistants from the USA are an effective way to improve staffing within Accident and Emergency Departments with the UK. Physician Assistants saw more patients and required less supervision than Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants proved to be a cost effective method of supporting Accident and Emergency doctors at City Hospital, Birmingham.

Members don't see this ad.

That is very interesting. It is ironic that the UK system is forcing EM docs into GP for more money, whereas here MDs are shying away from FP and IM because of lower reimburesements that is just getting worse. EM pays relatively well here.

Are there PA programs in UK or was this just a pilot program? I know PAs are not recognized universally in Europe.

I'm almost certain those PA's are from the states.

I've seen a number of advertisements in the AAPA journal for the National Health Service in England.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost certain those PA's are from the states.

I've seen a number of advertisements in the AAPA journal for the National Health Service in England.

-Mike

yup, those are american pa's. they work full time clinically and precept students from the new uk pa programs. I will probably do something like this in a few years. In have already made some initial contacts over there for similar positions.

Coolio. Once I'm trained and out in the world, I plan to work a few years (shake out the worst of my natural denseness on the bumpy road of practice) and then add teaching to the mix. I've thought of heading to the UK when the time comes. This should be a cool area to watch, in the next 5 to 10 years.