For those applying to UNC - what's your composite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarrollR

Pharmacy Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got lucky with a 97, I'm just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

Composite was 91, however, UNC looks at the PCAT in a different way. They add up each subsection score then divide by 5 to get their score. They don't use the composite score that Harcourt gives.

Wait, now I'm starting to think that they add up each subsection percentile rank, and use a number out of with a max score of 495. I think either way the number should be about the same. I think mine was 384.

When's UNC going to send out interview offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have noooo idea. I'm nervous! My GPA is okay for now, but after this semester.........i dont really think it'll be so good. It's just been a really tough semester for me.

I actually go to UNC right now, so you'd think I'd have heard something from someone about it, but I've heard nothing yet. So...I guess we'll see? I heard from a fellow classmate that no ones heard about interviews yet.

I'll keep you updated if you do the same! :) Good luck!

Hi, I am applying to UNC too. My composite score is 89. It was the first time I took PCAT. How do you know that they use different system for calculating PCAT score? Their web site says that mean score for the last year entering class was 400. Mine is 425. I don't quite understand, because they don't say that they calculate the score in different way. I got my score yesterday, and I am definitely happy that I will not have to retake this test again. It was gruelling and stressful experience. I am glad it is over. I know I could have done better-my lowest grades were in reading comprehension and verbal. I am foreign national, but I am very fluent in English and I read a lot. I did very good on my practice tests. But during the actual test, questions on reading comprehension seemed tricky to me. I could improve greatly on this part, but I think this composite score is OK. I got e-mail from UNC that my application is complete and that I am classified as North carolina resident.

This is what the UNC pharmacy site says about the PCAT about how they look at PCAT scores:

What is the minimum acceptable PCAT score?

Although we have no minimum acceptable score, applicants should try to achieve a competitive score of 350 out of a maximum 500. The average score of accepted students for the 2004-05 cycle was 400. We get this score by adding up the first five numbers in the percentile column.

I take that to mean the first 5 percentile scores are added together..and that's the score they look at when they mean "400". I did a lot better on the PCAT this time than I expected to..it was my 2nd time taking it.

Let me see.

Verbal: 460 - 98%
Biology: 437 - 92%
Reading: 430 - 89%
Quantitative: 443 - 95%
Chemistry: 431 - 89%

So I guess you just add up the percentile scores: 98 + 92 + 89 + 95 + 89 = 463.

I guess that's how they do it. At least that's how they make it sound.

I'm a 95 composite that's applying from out of state. I hope I get in :)

Let me see.

Verbal: 460 - 98%
Biology: 437 - 92%
Reading: 430 - 89%
Quantitative: 443 - 95%
Chemistry: 431 - 89%

So I guess you just add up the percentile scores: 98 + 92 + 89 + 95 + 89 = 463.

I guess that's how they do it. At least that's how they make it sound.

Yeah, you rocked out on that exam CarrollR, and going to school at Chapel Hill surely helps. You should take a walk down Franklin Street and get a big slice of that delicious pizza they have at that pizza place...it's near top of the hill?

My sister went to undergrad, law school, and grad school at UNC. She graduated with Vince Carter and Stewart Scott was there that day giving the graduation speech. It was pretty cool, well, as much as a UK wildcat could think light blue is cool. If I hear anything from them, I will be sure to post on the "received interview thread" in the pre-pharmacy forum. I'm sure we should hear something soon; all I've heard so far was that my application was complete.

Thanks acetyl. :) I <3 NY Pizza? Yeah their pizza is good! Mmm! I'm actually just really excited because "Little Miss Sunshine" is playing in our student union tonight. I'm an RA and I'm taking residents. Should be a good time!

That's really cool that your sister went to UNC!

Yeah, all I've heard is that my application is complete, and that was a long time ago. I got my application turned in/complete on August 1st. But yeah, I'll be sure to reply to that post if I get an interview. :)

Thank you, I understand now. When I add all percentile numbers I come up with 403.

Hey everyone,

I just checked the pharmcas website for UNCs School of Pharmacy and this is what it says about interviews:

Dates during which interviews are generally held: Late December - mid-March

They're running behind this year for whatever reason. So we should all hear soon enough! :)

Hey everyone,

I just checked the pharmcas website for UNCs School of Pharmacy and this is what it says about interviews:

Dates during which interviews are generally held: Late December - mid-March

They're running behind this year for whatever reason. So we should all hear soon enough! :)

Cool beans. What's going on with your tar heels these days?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a request for an interview from UNC on Thursday. I am very excited. The interview is on the 15th.

Congratulations Secrest84!! :)

Is your interview December 15th or January 15th? If they just told you a day or so ago and it's in 5 days...that's quite short notice!

Congrats though, how exciting! :)

Your composite is better than mine so no need for you to worry, im sure you will get an interview too.

I dunno about that because the way UNC calculates composite PCAT score gives me 384, which is only 76.8%, opposed to the way Harcourt calculates composite which gives me 91. I think UNC uses their way to attribute for any low sub-section scores, which is shown in my score.

I hope I can get an interview, too, because I would love to take a visit to Chapel Hill for a few days!

My interview is December 15th so only a week notice. My PCAT scores are

verbal 93
biology 81
reading 64 eek
math 75
chem 82
comp. 84

so to my understanding UNC adds all those numbers except the composite. I have a 395

Hi, I was wondering for those who got interviews (congrats btw), when did you guys submit your apps? Thanks.

I haven't heard about interviews yet...but I sent my application in on August 1, 2006.

Hopefully I will be hearing soon!

Just got the phone call and email from Student Services at UNC. They wanted to setup an interview for this Friday, too. I don't understand that, because almost every university has finals this week and it's not like everyone can walk to Chapel Hill (except you CarrollR). She said they are running into that problem with a lot of students, and that they have not made another date for interviews but mentioned something about January 12th, which is a Friday. I would think that is the next probable date for an interview because it's on a Friday just like this first one.

Secreast84, what time is your interview this Friday?

My interview is at noon. This week is exam week for me so I was lucky I don't have any exams on friday.

I'm getting kind of worried since I haven't heard anything yet and my application was turned in on August 1, 2006.

Weird?

I think it's kind of terrible for them to give such short notice for interviews...doesn't give you much time to really plan, does it?

But congrats acetyl :D.

Good luck, and enjoy chapel hill. I should hopefully be gone home by then unless I get a phonecall about Friday, too. Either way, I'll let you both know :)

When I spoke to the woman with Student Services, she told me that I was to be the last spot in this weeks interviews, which I'm sure she's filled, but that a bunch of people weren't able to come to this session. She told me that the tentative dates for the next set of interviews is going to be January 12th, 17th, or the 31st.

Thank you for the praise CarrollR, but like Secreast told me, your composite is higher than mine so I'm sure you'll get an interview too :D.

Plus, you're a tar heel anyway which means you've got to be smart in the first place = interview and admission.

Acetyl,
I got the same phone call and also an email today. So are you going then on Friday? I thought that I could not go since I attend a school in Indiana: too short notice for an interview that is in 4 days. However, I called them back saying that I found a way to get there on Friday, but they told me it was too late and that the spot has already been filled (even though in the email it said that I could reply about the interview until 4 pm of today). I was not super upset just because I already have an acceptance from the U of Minnesota, which is my higher preference than UNC. However, I thought that this treatment of possible interviewees was super unprofessional, and they could not even tell me to which of January interview I am invited. Their admission office gave me the most difficulty out of all the schools I applied: too unprofessional and I could never reach them if I had some specific questions.

Acetyl,
I got the same phone call and also an email today. So are you going then on Friday? I thought that I could not go since I attend a school in Indiana: too short notice for an interview that is in 4 days. However, I called them back saying that I found a way to get there on Friday, but they told me it was too late and that the spot has already been filled (even though in the email it said that I could reply about the interview until 4 pm of today). I was not super upset just because I already have an acceptance from the U of Minnesota, which is my higher preference than UNC. However, I thought that this treatment of possible interviewees was super unprofessional, and they could not even tell me to which of January interview I am invited. Their admission office gave me the most difficulty out of all the schools I applied: too unprofessional and I could never reach them if I had some specific questions.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I live 8 hours away, in KY, and thus would have to leave on Thursday sometime in the early afternoon. I'm a TA for the chem. department at my school and have a proctoring assignment Thursday night for a gen chem exam. I told Cathy Hardee initially, that I would not be able to make it, and she said she was hearing that from a lot of people and that she would code my name (probably #) for an interview in January. She wouldn't tell me the exact date of the interview because they haven't set it yet.

I asked someone to cover my proctoring assignment and called her back, within a few hours, and she said the spot was taken and there were no more spots for this interview session. I don't think (hope not) they give preference to people based on when they interview at UNC, so I don't think we'll be at a disadvantage. I kept her on the phone asking questions about the January interview and I think she felt sorry that I called back and she didn't have a spot, that she told me that the next set of interview dates will probably be January 12, 17, or 31st, and to clear my calendar for those dates. I suggest you do the same because you probably also got coded for a January interview. She told me that she was simply trying to fill up spots for this set of interviews and that she knew that 4 days wasn't much notice. I agree with you on the fact that they should give us more notice, but oh well, you do what you can I imagine. If everything is right with the world we should hear something soon about when exactly we will have an interview.

You would think that if they were calling people only 4 days in advance before an interview that they would be more inclined to ask people who are instate and can get to chapel hill a little easier, you know?

It's funny how they do things. haha.

On another not so fun note. I took my organic final today and it didn't go well. I got a 74, and now I'm going to have (almost certainly) a C in organic I. I've never made a C before, but my 3.41 GPA can't afford a C..unfortunately I guess it's going to have to. Talk about stress? yeah. blahhh.

I agree, plus I think they would give preference to those with higher test scores. There was nothing special about mine the way UNC does it. You were about 80 points higher you good testing taking Jesse.

Hmm, maybe GPA...according to pharmcas, cumulative is 3.66, science is 3.81, and math is 4.0. Maybe they look at grades first? LOR's? I dunno...

yeah my PCAT scores are low according to their standards. I got 95% composite, but when you add all five scores I have 381 (verbal is messing it up), which is much below their 400 average. However, I have 3.9 gpa, so maybe you are right that it is primarily based on your grades.

Yeah. I don't know. I know a guy who got in last year with a 3.2 gpa (from UNC) and a near perfect (on UNCs scale) pcat. So who knows what they look at the most.

I've had a really hard few semesters. I still think getting a 3.41 at UNC is good. Unfortunately I can't keep it. haha. UNC's Pharm school knows that UNC is hard (as well as other colleges, but they know the teachers at UNC and etc.) and hopefully they will take that into consideration.

I think my grades really struggled this semester because I took on a lot of extra stuff... I'm an RA this year (first time), so this semester I spent a lot of time trying to figure it all out. I pledged Alpha Phi Omega which was time consuming too, and I was inducted into the National Residence Hall Honorary, which eats up a little more time.

Luckily for next semester I won't be pledging anything, I'll be used to RA stuff and NRHH won't take that much time. One meeting every other week or something like that.

I'm sure they'll look at all that I'm involved in and understand why it hasn't been a cakewalk. At least, I hope so. Hah. Well, I guess I feel better now that I typed all that..I'm just rationalizing things out for myself. That was more for me to type than for you to read, but yeah. We'll see what happens.

CarrollR,

Small world I pledged Alpha Phi Omega in 2003 and I am still very active. My roomate is actually the President of the fraternity for next semester. I am member of the NCSU chapter.

Well now I'm really worried with you guys getting calls already. <:1 I had a 97th composite and a 455 when you add up the percentiles, but my gpa's not good (I'll probably break a 3.2 cumulative, 3.3 science after this semester), but I'll be graduating this year, and I go to unc. Are they just waiting to get fall grades, or what? They can't be, since some of you go to unc and already have offers. ::bites nails::

The only one on here that is at UNC is me, I think. (other than you)

I don't know what they're waiting on. I haven't heard yet..my grades are identical to yours just about.

UNC has one of the worst offices I've ever seen. First, their Contact Us link was broken for the past 7 months until it MAGICALLY fixed itself AFTER the pharmcas due date. Also, no one ever works at the office so you can't call them. Oh, and they never respond to your emails. They are deliberately unreachable I think.

UNC has one of the worst offices I've ever seen. First, their Contact Us link was broken for the past 7 months until it MAGICALLY fixed itself AFTER the pharmcas due date. Also, no one ever works at the office so you can't call them. Oh, and they never respond to your emails. They are deliberately unreachable I think.

I am also very frustrated with them. Out of all the schools that I am applying, they have been the most difficult to deal with. I could never reach them, and the whole interview invite that happened few days ago was just rediculous. They wanted me to come to an interview this past Friday, but I could not because of finals and travel arrangements. However, they would not even tell me if I am granted an interview for January dates. I understand that they are number 3 in the nation but I also applied to U Minnesota (number 4 in the nation) and I received completely different treatment.

Anyone have the interview last Friday, the 15th, in Chapel Hill?

If so, give us all the 411.

After weighing all pros and cons, I decided to withdraw my application from UNC (I would not attend the school even if I would be accepted, so there is not point to spend money on interview travel). So hopefully, someone who really wants to attend UNC will receive my interview spot in January. Good luck!!!

Received the interview invite email again today from Student Services.

I'll be in Chapel Hill the 17th, for session 2, which runs from 2-4:30 pm.