MD only after MD/PhD rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solumanculver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools allow applicants to still apply to the MD-only program after they've been rejected from the MD/PhD program? I'm applying next year for MD/PhD, but as a security I want to make sure that if all schools reject me I'll still be able to get into Medical school without the PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs either automatically consider you for MD-only, some consider you for MD-only if you check off a box on the application form, and some ask you to contact their office if you want to be considered for MD-only. I'd pick out specific programs based on other critera (med-school strength, research strength in your area of interest, location, selectivity etc.) and then find out if you need to do anything special to be considered for an MD-only degree as well.

Caveat: I have heard some students complain that since many programs consider MD-PhD applicants for MD-only after rejecting them, there aren't many spots left in the medical school class.

Thanks a lot,

Here are a couple of unrelated questions...

1) since it's kind of difficult to find MCAT/GPA statistics for MD/PhD programs, are there any rough rules to tell how competitive a program is based upon its MD-only stats? Something like, "Add 3 points to the MCAT and .2 to the GPA"

2) How many programs do MD/PhD appliants apply to on average?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot,

Here are a couple of unrelated questions...

1) since it's kind of difficult to find MCAT/GPA statistics for MD/PhD programs, are there any rough rules to tell how competitive a program is based upon its MD-only stats? Something like, "Add 3 points to the MCAT and .2 to the GPA"

2) How many programs do MD/PhD appliants apply to on average?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Here are my attempts to answer your questions...

1) You're right that it can be difficult to find stats on MD/PhD programs. I scoured websites and was still relatively unsuccessful. With that said, you will find or hear through the grapevine, including one admissions member on this site, that the averages at the top MSTP's (and probably all of the MSTP's for that matter) are almost invariably around 36MCAT and 3.8GPA. If you're aiming for non-MSTP's, my understanding is that the averages are usually somewhat lower. FWIW, the only schools I've investigated for which I have definitive data are:

WashU 3.85 36R
Columbia 3.79 35.5
Cornell/Tri-I 3.81 36.17

2) It varies a lot. Some people on here will have applied to 30+ schools, while others only apply to 5. The gist I am getting from my pre-med advisor and a few admissions officers is that it should be around 6-12 if you have a good application. For example, my pre-med advisor urged me to apply to no more than 10 schools and as few as 6, with the assumption that I would be happy at my state school if no other schools worked out. I'm shooting for 10-12. Obviously if your credentials are borderline then you may want to inch upward, but I personally think that 30+ schools is excessive.

Each school is different and admissions vary. Many schools have quotas for MD/PhD separate from MD-only and have different committees looking at each. So, you can be rejected by one and accepted by the other. There is no harm in calling and asking.

If combined does not work out, definately accept MD program and decide on research later. With MD in hand, many doors open. (although I was the reverse.)

Each school is different and admissions vary. Many schools have quotas for MD/PhD separate from MD-only and have different committees looking at each. So, you can be rejected by one and accepted by the other. There is no harm in calling and asking.

If combined does not work out, definately accept MD program and decide on research later. With MD in hand, many doors open. (although I was the reverse.)

Sometimes it can actually hurt you to apply MSTP and NOT be rejected.

For instance, if you apply MSTP and get wait-listed, you will not be guaranteed a MD only spot UNLESS you withdraw from the wait list and ask to be considered MD only. Essentially, you could either get in MSTP (maybe) or be stuck in wait-list limbo forever, whereas if you had withdrawn you could have been accepted MD only.

Interesting, huh?

A few schools don't consider you for MD after the MD/PhD rejection. Penn definately doesn't anymore, Hopkins very rarely does, and UChicago states on their website that they don't.

hey neuronix,

i just called penn mstp admissions and they said that they do. are you sure??

Well I suspected as much after my girlfriend got her pre-interview rejection and was told she would be not be considered for the MD. But, since you say you asked the admissions office, I e-mailed the program coordinator. She pointed me to the admissions FAQ.

http://www.med.upenn.edu/mstp/admission.shtml

That says:

Can I be considered for both the MD-PhD and MD?

No. AMCAS requires applicants to indicate a program choice of MD or MD-PhD, and this is also true for Penn.

I'm not convinced that's 100% clear, because at some programs you get consideration for both simulatenously and maybe that statement only covers that possibility. I would almost like it to say "If you are waitlisted or rejected for the MD/PhD program you will not receive MD consideration".

But, to make it 100% clear, if you go through MD/PhD screening, you can not receive MD consideration. It wasn't that way when I applied, but it is now.

A few schools don't consider you for MD after the MD/PhD rejection. Penn definately doesn't anymore, Hopkins very rarely does, and UChicago states on their website that they don't.

UChicago emailed me and said they were going to put me in the MD pool. I think they felt I had a chance. I was rejected about two weeks later.