Howard students and Alum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amichail

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering going to Howard Dental, but I would like to get some more perspective on the school... Please tell me about your experiences there, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Any regrets?

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest way to do this is to just search "howard" and select "dental forums" as one of the parameters. You will get the good, the bad, and the ugly, and there is way too much of the last two I am afraid.

well, i just finished my first semester at Howard and i'll tell you like it is but only as far as what i've experienced. like i said, i'm a 1st year student and just completed my 1st semester, so i'll give you my experiences thus far..

you've heard it on the forums before... and this part is true. you will definately experience administrative problems from day 1. what i mean by that is, if you dont know whats going on and this is your first time getting a loan for example, they won't tell you what you need. i had to run back and forth from the administration building up the hill about 4 times. not everyone is on the same page even in the same department which means you have to figure it out yourself every step of the way. its recommended to save every piece of paper you have. signatures, people you spoke to, etc. however frustrating, i guarantee you will find this at any school, not just howard! (granted, maybe not so bad? but maybe better than some)

education. IMO we have some of the best gross anatomy lecturers available. drs. baker, aziz, rigamonti, bernor alone are all bad asses. downside? we share labs/profs with the med school and sometimes allied healthcare. our class has 90 students and the labs got full with not enough professors to go around. admission is going up in every school with limited spacing in classrooms etc so be prepared for this anywhere.

clinically? not there yet but we do get to start on SIM Lab 2nd year. the UT schools in TX are good with clinicals b/c they start so soon (2nd year as well) so I assume we are there too. being in a large city, we'll have a large patient base with varying case types. like i said, i'm not there yet but i do know you gotta hustle to get your patients. (again, same everywhere).

as far as the boards go, the prof's goal here is to prepare you for the boards. the format has changed and thus our curriculum has changed. anytime a change is made there will be some hiccups. every year introduces a new twist so every year something new is tried. if you decide to choose howard, the dean has a plan to start clinical exposure started your first semester here. not bad. i'm not sure about board results, u might want to check ADEA for that.

the building. understand that this dental school started in the late 1800's. lots of history here.. also means you have an old ass building. being that our tuition is cheap, you make some sacrifices. you dont have a plush school with plush classrooms like other schools, but you also pay much less than they do so be mindful of that. it really sucks and can be frustrating (like wireless not working sometimes), but i can deal with it... apparently some people can't grasp this concept! lol i chose to pay less.

don't let the numbers fool you. low DAT scores and GPA's doesnt mean HUCD is a 2nd rate school. there are a lot of brilliant people in my class and above. they will probably put a lot of students around the country to shame on the board exams.

the area, frankly, sucks. DC is bad ass but this particular area isn't the nicest.. definately urban. be prepared for that if you plan to live close. it will be $$$ anywhere you go. i pay $800 for a ROOM and thats with a roommate. for those that drive, parking is a pain and expensive as well but the public transportation is pretty good. the thing that sucks is that METRO usually stops around midnight on weekdays and 3am on weekends.

other than that, everything else is great. you will never meet a more diverse and family oriented group of students, you will probably never meet such good friends again. everyone is genuinely helpful and we have the best dean there is. a dean that truly cares about the students.

above all, keep in mind that this is a school that doesn't spoon feed you. i promise when you leave this place you will be prepared for anything. ANYTHING. hey, this is professional school... we're all adults now i hope. people bitch and moan but most of it can be solved if they were mature enough not to need a hand to hold every step of the way. by knowing this and still wanting to go to howard, you'll be better prepared. you know now what to expect. would i still go here if i could start again? absolutely. if you have a desire to help the underserved, there is a lot of opportunity for that here. its actually part of the curriculum. if you are ok with the following, you should definately consider Howard.

1. great education
2. great colleagues
3. excellent dean
4. not so great building
5. not so great surrounding area
6. expensive cost of living (food, haircuts, parking, living, EVERYTHING is more here)
7. opportunity to help the underserved
8. amazing city life, if you have time to experience it (but you wont haha)

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, that was very helpful... I could definitely deal with 1-8, so I might just see you there in August! Thanks again :D

well, i just finished my first semester at Howard and i'll tell you like it is but only as far as what i've experienced. like i said, i'm a 1st year student and just completed my 1st semester, so i'll give you my experiences thus far..

you've heard it on the forums before... and this part is true. you will definately experience administrative problems from day 1. what i mean by that is, if you dont know whats going on and this is your first time getting a loan for example, they won't tell you what you need. i had to run back and forth from the administration building up the hill about 4 times. not everyone is on the same page even in the same department which means you have to figure it out yourself every step of the way. its recommended to save every piece of paper you have. signatures, people you spoke to, etc. however frustrating, i guarantee you will find this at any school, not just howard! (granted, maybe not so bad? but maybe better than some)

education. IMO we have some of the best gross anatomy lecturers available. drs. baker, aziz, rigamonti, bernor alone are all bad asses. downside? we share labs/profs with the med school and sometimes allied healthcare. our class has 90 students and the labs got full with not enough professors to go around. admission is going up in every school with limited spacing in classrooms etc so be prepared for this anywhere.

clinically? not there yet but we do get to start on SIM Lab 2nd year. the UT schools in TX are good with clinicals b/c they start so soon (2nd year as well) so I assume we are there too. being in a large city, we'll have a large patient base with varying case types. like i said, i'm not there yet but i do know you gotta hustle to get your patients. (again, same everywhere).

as far as the boards go, the prof's goal here is to prepare you for the boards. the format has changed and thus our curriculum has changed. anytime a change is made there will be some hiccups. every year introduces a new twist so every year something new is tried. if you decide to choose howard, the dean has a plan to start clinical exposure started your first semester here. not bad. i'm not sure about board results, u might want to check ADEA for that.

the building. understand that this dental school started in the late 1800's. lots of history here.. also means you have an old ass building. being that our tuition is cheap, you make some sacrifices. you dont have a plush school with plush classrooms like other schools, but you also pay much less than they do so be mindful of that. it really sucks and can be frustrating (like wireless not working sometimes), but i can deal with it... apparently some people can't grasp this concept! lol i chose to pay less.

don't let the numbers fool you. low DAT scores and GPA's doesnt mean HUCD is a 2nd rate school. there are a lot of brilliant people in my class and above. they will probably put a lot of students around the country to shame on the board exams.

the area, frankly, sucks. DC is bad ass but this particular area isn't the nicest.. definately urban. be prepared for that if you plan to live close. it will be $$$ anywhere you go. i pay $800 for a ROOM and thats with a roommate. for those that drive, parking is a pain and expensive as well but the public transportation is pretty good. the thing that sucks is that METRO usually stops around midnight on weekdays and 3am on weekends.

other than that, everything else is great. you will never meet a more diverse and family oriented group of students, you will probably never meet such good friends again. everyone is genuinely helpful and we have the best dean there is. a dean that truly cares about the students.

above all, keep in mind that this is a school that doesn't spoon feed you. i promise when you leave this place you will be prepared for anything. ANYTHING. hey, this is professional school... we're all adults now i hope. people bitch and moan but most of it can be solved if they were mature enough not to need a hand to hold every step of the way. by knowing this and still wanting to go to howard, you'll be better prepared. you know now what to expect. would i still go here if i could start again? absolutely. if you have a desire to help the underserved, there is a lot of opportunity for that here. its actually part of the curriculum. if you are ok with the following, you should definately consider Howard.

1. great education
2. great colleagues
3. excellent dean
4. not so great building
5. not so great surrounding area
6. expensive cost of living (food, haircuts, parking, living, EVERYTHING is more here)
7. opportunity to help the underserved
8. amazing city life, if you have time to experience it (but you wont haha)

good luck!

Number 3 on your list is wrong. In actuality, the dean doesn't care as much as you think. He likes to hear himself talk more than address problems and will turn on you when someone in the administration and/or faculty starts to screw around, and they will.

The statement you made about the anatomy professors is very accurate. Baker and Aziz are class acts as is Dr. Hakim in histo and Dr. Stubbs in micro.

Also, your statement about the boards is flat out wrong as Howad students have trouble passing the boards. This is why the pharmacy school is on probation now. Anyone who told you that Howard students do well on the boards blatantly lied to you. In general, Howard students have trouble passing the boards. This includes the med and the dental students.

Of all of those 90 students, how many do you think will graduate in 4 years? Tell "amichail" how many students did or didn't make it out of the first semester alone? There's a lot of time left to "weed" a number of students out: this could include YOU.

MaxAnn I don't understand why you are so bitter. Are you still in dental school at HU? What year are you? What happened exactly to make you feel the way you do?

You have said alot of negatives but do you have anything positive to say?

Just curious.

be prepared for that if you plan to live close. it will be $$$ anywhere you go. i pay $800 for a ROOM and thats with a roommate.

Is that 800 dollars a month?

MaxAnn I don't understand why you are so bitter. Are you still in dental school at HU? What year are you? What happened exactly to make you feel the way you do?

You have said alot of negatives but do you have anything positive to say?

Just curious.

I am at another dental school now, and no, I am not bitter. I am trying to tell you the real deal. If you want to walk around and believe lies and garbage that is up to you. Ask anyone who has been to Howard how many students don't graduate in 4yrs or at all. The school has a high attrition rate. There are only 65 chairs in clinic yet they accept 90 students, and No, students don't share chairs in the clinic. The dental school knows that not everyone will make it through, and they don't care. OPEN your eyes. All those things I have said on here are 100% true.

If you don't want to believe me, then don't. It is your money and your time you are dealing with, not mine.

Is that 800 dollars a month?

$800 a month is dirt cheap in D.C. The majority of people pay much more than that. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $15-20,000 per year on living expenses in D.C. at the minimum.

Thank you for your honest opinion. :)
I appreciate it.

Thank you for your honest opinion. :)
I appreciate it.

I don't get any joy out of this. I wish these things were not true, but they are. It has gone on for years, and it seems there is no end in sight, but they never tell you those things when you are applying or when you interview.

The point of dental school is to graduate with a degree, and there are far too many students who leave Howard with nothing but heavy debt and regret; no degree. Essentially, the school uses a certain amount of students as easy income when no intent at all of ever graduating them. Remember what I told you about the 65 chairs in clinic. There is no way that 90 or even 70 students from one class will make it to the clinic. Go to the school and count the graduates from a particular class; the numbers won't be over 60 in most cases. Then, ask yourself what the hell happened to the other 15 to 20 students? Did they just disappear and join the foreign legion...

In the end, they will blame the students 100 percent, who do share some of the blame, but how successful is any dental student going to be when instructors repeatedly don't show for class?

Has anyone made a decision yet?? I see alot of people going back and forth... I must admit, I still havent made a decision yet. I went to Howard for undergrad, so I know all about the admin problems, etc. I'm prepared for that.

To MaxAnn: It does appear that there is some bitterness towards Howard. Trust me, I understand. When exactly did u transfer? Was it recently, or a year or two ago..?

The truth is that the money game Howad dental school plays (and there are other schools that do this) is old. I'll say it again: Why would any school admit more students than it plans on training or graduating? It is all about money. The problem is that so few students, alumni, administrators, or faculty have enough nerve or candor to tell it like it is, which is why so many people are shocked or dismayed when someone actuallys says it.

I actually have a lot of pride in Howard, but I detest the nonsensical ways in which the administration operates. It is abhorrant, just in the same way registration gets worse every year.

If you went to Howard undegrad, you know dam well what I am talking about. Folks on the hill know what that dental school does and doesn't do. No one cares about students whose lives and financial futures are damaged.

You see Cab, it is irresponsible to take more students than you plan on educating, just as if it would be foolish to invite more guests to a wedding than you can feed or seat for example.

The remarkable fact about every "true post" I have put on here is that not ONE person has or can honestly say that I am lying. That's b/c I am not lying. Howard's dental school has been around a long time, and the founder fathers are probably turning over in the graves from all the foolishness that goes on there.

As far as I am concerned, you can be informed or not be informed. It makes no difference to me. It's your bucks and time they will have in their hands.

Have a great holiday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont intend to become bitter after my decision... I decided to bite the bullet and send my deposit in to a school that costs a significant amount more, but I know everyone around me (students & school staff) will be a lot more helpful and will try to make the next 4 years of my life less stressful and more do-able... Thanks for all the imput (including the brutally honest)

I dont intend to become bitter after my decision... I decided to bite the bullet and send my deposit in to a school that costs a significant amount more, but I know everyone around me (students & school staff) will be a lot more helpful and will try to make the next 4 years of my life less stressful and more do-able... Thanks for all the imput (including the brutally honest)

Good luck amichail.:luck:

So you decided to go with Temple? You said you sent a deposit at a school that costs alot more, so I'm guessing that is what you chose.. right?

Honestly, I probably would have chosen Temple over Howard, but you shouldn't let one disgruntled ex-Howard student heavily influence your decision. Every school has its issues.

Anyway, good luck at Temple!!:)

I'm waiting for someone from Howard to tell me that I'm lying about this. The comment about every school having its issues is a weak reasoning and is how things got so fouled up in the first place.

Cab, the school itself, nor anyone can give any reasoning as to why things at Howard are so screwed up. They always walk away from the problem as long as they are not affected.

Time and time again, legitimate issues were brought to the administration and nothing was ever done. It is just foolishness.

And to address Cab's other statement: No I am not the only student who feels this way. Take the time to walk down the hill and ask some of them, then come back and tell SDN what you hear. I'll bet you won't do it because then there won't be any more convenient excuses.

Maybe you will, and I'll be pleasantly surprised?

Never underestimate the power of denial.

I agree with MaxAnn. I transferred out of HU. I lost about 15 classmates. It is a pyramid system type of school.

Rather than listening to "former" or "active" HUCD students, simply sit down draft an e-mail to the dean or the dean of students and ask them yourselves. I'm not saying this to be an a**hole but you no one is getting anywhere with this he said/she said bs.

I am TX2thDR's classmate and I COMPLETELY agree with everything he posted. He was dead on with his assessment of the College of Dentistry. I'm no homer but our deans have repeatedly told the freshmen class that if there is any question you have pertaining to the school, step up like a professional you soon will be and ask questions to those parties in charge. If you are serious in choosing between your other applied schools and Howard, you should not be afraid to address your questions/concerns to anyone.

Again, just pick up the phone or write an e-mail and ask them yourselves. No one's going to hate you for it and your decision in choosing school will come much easier with valid information as your guide.

Happy New Year!

The point you and so many others here are missing is that those things I have said are facts. Do you know how many times students and classes have drafted emails, letters, and petitions and forwarded them in mass to the administration. That goes on every year there, and usually it is about the same situations as the previous years.

Where do you think I am getting my info from, the sky? They always tell each FRESHMEN class the same thing because they don't know any better.

What makes you so sure that if you contact them they will LEVEL with you?

Do you think you are breaking new ground with these suggestions? WAKE UP.

You are not a HOMER, but you are naive ( no disrespect), and haven't been there long enough yet to know fully what you are dealing with, but like most you will have to learn the hard way. So be it.

The point you and so many others here are missing is that those things I have said are facts. Do you know how many times students and classes have drafted emails, letters, and petitions and forwarded them in mass to the administration. That goes on every year there, and usually it is about the same situations as the previous years.

Where do you think I am getting my info from, the sky? They always tell each FRESHMEN class the same thing because they don't know any better.

What makes you so sure that if you contact them they will LEVEL with you?

Do you think you are breaking new ground with these suggestions? WAKE UP.

You are not a HOMER, but you are naive ( no disrespect), and haven't been there long enough yet to know fully what you are dealing with, but like most you will have to learn the hard way. So be it.

MaxAnn, I really appreciate your opinions on the school, and I don't doubt you had a rough time at Howard. What I'd like to know is when you transferred. Has it been some time, or was it recently? Like I've said before, I went to Howard for undergrad. All of the things TX2thDR said about keeping records of EVERYTHING is true. I've been there, done that. I am prepared for that. One of the things I'm really worried about now is financial aid. Has there ever been a case where a student was forced to drop out because he or she didn't get adequate financial aid?

I have a friend who knows several 2nd year students at Howard. The only complaint that they have is that the program is challenging, which is to be expected at any school.

To say that "every school has its issues" is not a weak excuse. No school is perfect, and every school has room for improvement.

Academically, I did good at Howard, but it was the lack of professionalism that pushed it to the limit for me. I felt like a battered woman leaving an abusive husband. I had enough.

Cab, don't let your friends ask any of the students. Go down there yourself and inquire. Anyone who told you or your friend that the only complaint the students have is "challenges" are not being truthful. They are sugarcoating the truth because they don't want their names associated with any negative comments about the school. They know there could be retaliation. Many students there just try to lay low and do their best to graduate on time and don't try to make any waves. I don't blame them because if you give them a chance to screw you, they will.

Better yet, try asking a graduate. They would probably use the most candor. I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to.

As far as your other questions and comments, I am not going to answer them (no offense). If all that I have posted on here has not educated the masses on the realities of dental school at Howard, then nothing I could ever say will. I do wish you the best. Maybe you and some of the Howard faithful could make it better. Lord knows that things needed to change there a long time ago and many have tried.

I'm outta here. This girl needs to shop. :)

Academically, I did good at Howard, but it was the lack of professionalism that pushed it to the limit for me. I felt like a battered woman leaving an abusive husband. I had enough.

Cab, don't let your friends ask any of the students. Go down there yourself and inquire. Anyone who told you or your friend that the only complaint the students have is "challenges" are not being truthful. They are sugarcoating the truth because they don't want their names associated with any negative comments about the school. They know there could be retaliation. Many students there just try to lay low and do their best to graduate on time and don't try to make any waves. I don't blame them because if you give them a chance to screw you, they will.

Better yet, try asking a graduate. They would probably use the most candor. I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to.

As far as your other questions and comments, I am not going to answer them (no offense). If all that I have posted on here has not educated the masses on the realities of dental school at Howard, then nothing I could ever say will. I do wish you the best. Maybe you and some of the Howard faithful could make it better. Lord knows that things needed to change there a long time ago and many have tried.

I'm outta here. This girl needs to shop. :)
Is these issues still prevalent?

Is these issues still prevalent?
I would say the biggest problem at Howard is that if you are struggling the administration is no help. There are also certain professors who don't teach. Most classes have multiple professors so usually you will only have a bad professor a few times. Don't expect the profs to bump you up if you are really close I know someone who failed by 6 points about 0.5 percent. They have to repeat. The past few years there have been a lot of repeat students. The current D2 class lost 10 after the first year and the D1 class has lost 7 after the first semester (me included). This is mainly due to changes in the schedule and curriculum.

I definitely agree about the living expenses. I live on campus and I pay 1000 a month and I have a roommate. It's cheaper to live outside of DC however travel costs and time factors in. I've heard traffic into DC in the mornings is horrific.

I would also say that its true that the clinic doesn't have enough chairs but it doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to get rid of a quarter of the class before clinics. It just means you have to sign up for a chair when you need it. Unfortunately you have to find your own patients so you don't necessarily need a chair every week anyways.

Aside from all of that my classmates are what makes Howard worthwhile. You really form friendships that will last a lifetime.