My limited review of www.testeasymcat.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I registered for a free exam and tried the exam.

It seems that this is good for getting concepts but I'm warning you that these questions are NOTHING like what will be on the MCAT. I got wacked questions asking for items such as:

What should be administered to a person experiencing tachycardia?
What type of epithelium lines the proximal convoluted tubule of nephron?
As well as questions about S. typhi which I was only able to answer because I've had 2 extensive microbiology courses.

I thought I was crazy because I wasn't thinking those specific things would be on the MCAT. I checked the AAMC and none of these specifics were asked in the review essentials ... so just a fair warning out there to make sure you know why you are purchasing material.

I'm trying to get my hands on some gold standard tests to try them out. If I do I will let you guys know how they fare ... I wish we had an offical reviewer on SDN. Would you guys be interested in compiling something?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your review on testeasy! I've been contemplating on whether to purchase it or not. Do you remember how many passages they had on their verbal section? 6 or 7?

I think Gold Standard has a free CBT on their site. If I try it out anytime soon I will comment on it.

Ok, so I registered for a free exam and tried the exam.

It seems that this is good for getting concepts but I'm warning you that these questions are NOTHING like what will be on the MCAT. I got wacked questions asking for items such as:

What should be administered to a person experiencing tachycardia?
What type of epithelium lines the proximal convoluted tubule of nephron?
As well as questions about S. typhi which I was only able to answer because I've had 2 extensive microbiology courses.

I thought I was crazy because I wasn't thinking those specific things would be on the MCAT. I checked the AAMC and none of these specifics were asked in the review essentials ... so just a fair warning out there to make sure you know why you are purchasing material.

I'm trying to get my hands on some gold standard tests to try them out. If I do I will let you guys know how they fare ... I wish we had an offical reviewer on SDN. Would you guys be interested in compiling something?
It really depends on the context of the questions. If they were just straight discretes then you're right that they are beyond the scope, but if they're accompanied by a passage, maybe not.

It really depends on the context of the questions. If they were just straight discretes then you're right that they are beyond the scope, but if they're accompanied by a passage, maybe not.

yeah, unless the passage was on autonomics or something the tachy question really wouldnt be fair on the mcat. it requires you to know about beta blockers and their effects on the heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
they had passages but some of the questions really you couldn't get ANYTHING from the text. Some were straight out of the text, some based on knowledge. I do NOT know anything about drugs or certain characteristics about S. typhi. If it doesn't allude to it in the passage and its not basic stuff, why are they going to ask a question like that ... the passage made NO mention of what to use and then asked the question out of the blue. It was a passage on the mechanism of tachy, and the rest of the questions you could draw on from the text, EXCEPT that question.

Its fine if its one question out of the test but I came up with these questions repeatedly. Maybe my knowledge idsn't that deep but I didn't think you were suppose to know drugs and details stuff about micro on the exam. Basic, yeah, that's game but I don't know ... maybe someone else will have a different result ...

I didn't even do their verbal, I did the PS and half of the BS and called it BS and quit.

I didn't even do their verbal, I did the PS and half of the BS and called it BS and quit.[/QUOTE]

This sounds a bit like the TPR exams....at least with respect to being "unrealistic." Any practice may be good practice, but in my opinion, some more reading-intensive exams would be more indicative of the real MCAT.

As I said, if you are looking for something that can test you on content I think it did a good job but if you are looking for practice tests like AAMC, do not use this. I have not studied at all and I had no problems answer well over 75% of the content. Although I haven't taken the MCAT yet, everyone claims its a beast so I really don't think this could be possible.

Then again, its only my opinion. If someone else has some spare change and wants to look at it, please do!

I've been a silent spectator of this site since long. I've taken few tests in this site recently and here are my observations
The time spent on each question in my review enables me to analyze what areas I should concentrate more so that I can manage my time efficiently in the actual exam.
I have the flexibility to take test only on selected topics in the subjects. Instead of going through the entire section I can concentrate on few topics.

I never encountered any trouble while taking online tests or when accessing this site as there are no software/OS dependencies. Before, my test s/w used to stuck up while I was in the middle of test.

This site is presented very well. Great job. I could concentrate on my practice rather than searching/browsing for the features I need to access.

Regarding the content -the questions are designed well, all the topics are covered well and also since MCAT test is unpredictable it's OK with me if some of the topics are covered in depth.

I've been a silent spectator of this site since long. I've taken few tests in this site recently and here are my observations
The time spent on each question in my review enables me to analyze what areas I should concentrate more so that I can manage my time efficiently in the actual exam.
I have the flexibility to take test only on selected topics in the subjects. Instead of going through the entire section I can concentrate on few topics.

I never encountered any trouble while taking online tests or when accessing this site as there are no software/OS dependencies. Before, my test s/w used to stuck up while I was in the middle of test.

This site is presented very well. Great job. I could concentrate on my practice rather than searching/browsing for the features I need to access.

Regarding the content -the questions are designed well, all the topics are covered well and also since MCAT test is unpredictable it's OK with me if some of the topics are covered in depth.

So, we know you work for testeasy. How? Well let's see

OBVIOUS
1) you are a newly joined member with 1 post, promoting testeasymcat
2) for someone who can't spell, you sure know a lot about what testeasymcat does or does not do ("software/OS dependencies")
3) nobody uses "s/w" to mean software except someone who, perhaps, maintains a website, instead of being a premed - and it's funny, because both TPR and Kaplan have an online test too..
4) some of your sentences are direct paraphrases of the site, esp the "The time spent" part... :sleep:
5) you sure know a hell of a lot about what the MCAT is or isn't (i.e. unpredictable, which it isn't), mr. long-time spectator... why haven't you given advice elsewhere?

This is why forums should show the IP of people who post.

Guess what "CH_Doc", guerilla marketing sucks. It sucks long and it sucks hard.

So, we know you work for testeasy. How? Well let's see

OBVIOUS
1) you are a newly joined member with 1 post, promoting testeasymcat
2) for someone who can't spell, you sure know a lot about what testeasymcat does or does not do ("software/OS dependencies")
3) nobody uses "s/w" to mean software except someone who, perhaps, maintains a website, instead of being a premed - and it's funny, because both TPR and Kaplan have an online test too..
4) some of your sentences are direct paraphrases of the site, esp the "The time spent" part... :sleep:
5) you sure know a hell of a lot about what the MCAT is or isn't (i.e. unpredictable, which it isn't), mr. long-time spectator... why haven't you given advice elsewhere?

This is why forums should show the IP of people who post.

Guess what "CH_Doc", guerilla marketing sucks. It sucks long and it sucks hard.
Busted :laugh:

Either or ... I just gave my HONEST review for you guys. I felt that some of teh questions were way out there, and is that indicitive of the MCAT? Maybe ... but tell you what. I invite others to maybe look at testeasy after they take the MCAT to see if its anything like the MCAT.

I don't see how it could be but I've never taken it. I felt that some questions were WAY out there. I might give them a try at a later date to see how kaplan and AAMC stack up as I'm doing a kaplan diagnostic today but I can guarantee from waht I've flipped through with kaplan and EK practice questions, testeasy has nothing on them yet. It is a brand new company and maybe they can improve their material.

I wish others would take the practice test and post about it too .... (hint, hint)

Mush - are you referring to an actual FL or subject tests? I ventured into the bio sciences part and did some questions. I got most right, but they REALLY don't seem representative of any of the questions I've seen on AAMC, EK, PR, or Kaplan tests.

So, I agree with you. This is bogus info that may help with overall knowledge of the subject, but not with the MCAT.

I took an actual FL ... and yes I thought the questions were either way easy or just really completely off the rocker (as I mentioned above). They didn't seem representative of the practice questions I have seen in Kaplan or EK books but I can compare better when I start doign more practice exams.