~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdroitDarkHorse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what the distribution of ages are on this forum, specifically the ages of the "nontraditional" ones.

Myself, I am 28.

For those that are older, what advice is there to maintain focus and attention/retention in your studies? I can only guess health and perhaps related to some genetic/family history.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
28 as well.

I think retaining focus is not too hard if you are really motivated to go into medicine and can really keep your goal in sight. Whenever I got frustrated or overwhelmed, I just tried to remember what I was doing this for, and it was just one more thing to get through before achieving my ultimate goal.

Good luck!

I am 34, yes I said it 34. You guys are still young, I will be making my rounds with a walker!:)

Reactions: 2 users
28 here too!

26. 27 within my first month of med school...

Focus isn't an issue if you're driven. I left an great paying IT job to go back and finish 24 credits of premed pre-reqs (CHM, OCHM, PHYS) in one year, as well as study up for the MCAT. I knew what I wanted, and I knew I'd have to be stellar, otherwise I wouldn't have a shot.

If you're going to go for it, just remember to take a step back and look at the big picture. Good Luck :luck:

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
28, 29 in two weeks. 2 kids, 3 cats, and a husband

As for the focus, I can't help you there. If I ever got around to it, I'd be a card carrying member of the procrastinators club!

I sometimes have a hard time focusing as well - still working full-time, going to school at night, and all the rest of living takes it out of me. I've found it's better to study less, but more intensely. At first I'd stare at my books for hours and hours... now, if i'm not focusing well I take a break, do some dishes, take a nap or whatever and come back to it. My grades are better and I'm getting more done, which makes me happier.

• Haha
27 in three weeks:) . I'll be 28 (hopefully) when starting med school. Hubby, two dogs, no kids..yet anyways:D

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!

Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 36 in February, and hopefully when I begin med school as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
I turned 26 this past Monday. As for focus, well the standard disclaimers apply. That said, you've had a little life experience already. Perhaps you pursued your initial career with intensity, discipline and totally without regret. But if you're like many of us non-trads, maybe you didn't. Perhaps you knew in your heart at the time that you didn't really care all that much about what you were doing or you were just plain lazy and those sentiments were reflected in the quality of your work. Maybe you told yourself that if you truly cared/were commited to a career that you would put an honest effort in. Assuming that's all true then you're currently presented with the opportunity to reinvent yourself as the hardworking, disciplined person you wanted to be. (Or maybe this doesn't apply to you at all.)

Best of luck!

25..but w/ 2 kids :eek:

Yippie, LifetimeDoc, I could tell that we had something in common.

Reactions: 5 users
One wife and three children...

Interviewed at Duke this week and did I ever feel old...

I'm 36, with a husband, teenage daughter and 2 cats. I think successful focusing and rentention of info comes from understanding how you learn, and has nothing to do with age. Do you learn better by seeing pictures, reading words, touching models, listening to lectures, or a combination? I had a great post-bac prof who gave us all a test to determine how we best learn. I found out I am a visual verbal and visual picture learner. So I read, and look at pictures, and don't waste time in lectures... Plus I'd say repetition helps. I always have flashcards with me wherever I go, and squeeze in minutes here and there to really allow the new info to sink in. What works for you?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh no, LTD, not until we hit 40.

Gonna be 40 when I start Med school next fall! UGgg

Is there anyway we could turn this into a poll format????? Would be interested in seeing a chart of this distribution.

Reactions: 3 users
28 trips around the sun for me

Wow, you must be pretty tan.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

25. Looks like I am the young buck so far.

Listen everyone. I love pets, have one myself, but please stop listing pets with your stats.

"2 kids, 3 cats......" If your pets are keeping you from studying or getting into med school, please drop out now!!!:) :D

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on a keyboard though, so before you send me pictures of Mittens or Fluffy....I AM JUST KIDDING!!!!!

just turned 28, but look like im 18. I got my hair cut the other day and the lady cutting my hair asked what high school i was attending.

just turned 28, but look like im 18. I got my hair cut the other day and the lady cutting my hair asked what high school i was attending.

I have a similar problem. I'm doing an informal post bacc and my classmates (~20/21) do not believe I'm 28. I had one guy exclaim my driver's license was surely a fake after I tried to prove my age.

Just have fun with it. Pretend you are one of those crazy smart kids that finished college when they were like 16. Ask them to buy you beer to see which ones actually do it. Hey:laugh: , you might as well have some fun with it!!

Another old-timer here: 34 but would start med school as a 36 y/o (if all goes well, of course!:D )

I turn 37 on Saturday. I hope to take the mcat in April or May and be in med school fall 2008, but graduating by that time will be tough. For some reason starting med school at 38 seems so much better than waiting a year and starting at 39. As far as studying goes..I read a lot, look at pics, and seem to get more done on my own than sitting in lecture. Just got an A in org chem 1 -studies my a** off and went to lecture half the time. can't say I really ever got a lot out of the profs lectures. Good luck to everyone!

I'm 36 and 1/2. one wife, one kid, one bird. I guess I'm a uni"bummer" all around.:laugh: Got in to some Caribbean schools first ( you know...that age thing). But changed my mind, and will be applying in U.S. I guess I'd rather be an "older" U.S grad, than a whole year "younger" IMG.

42, going on 43
but I'll probably be 48 when I apply; it will take that long for me to 1) overcome a crappy undergrad GPA (and a sort-of-crappy post-bacc GPA), and 2) get the experience I need for the MSTP that I'm interested in doing.

I'll be 37 in February and 38 when I start if the stars are aligned. My work/school schedule is the pits. The only way I deal with it is to not think about how tired I am, how long it was since I slept, and how many hours it will be until I get to sleep. I work full time nights, part time evenings, and then go home to 4 cats, 5 dogs, and a rabbit. Probably half of the zoo has physical and/or mental issues so I spend an hour taking care of them before I get any "me" time. Mercifully, my parents live down the road and babysit the animals for me or their lives would suck more than mine.
:eek:

31 with 3 kids (no husband-divorced) and currently trying to establish a timeline! I would like to be applying in the next 2 years!

Fabulous and 40 with an MD/PhD in my future too!;)

27 1/2 and hope to start classes by 29 or 30. Why does the process have to take so long just to get in???

42; will probably be 45 when I apply.

24-sorry faze I'll take your young buck status. I'll be 27 by the time I enter med school :) At least when my friends are worrying about turning 30 I'll be too busy in my third year of med school rotations to even realize its my birthday.
But no worries about age...we'll all be 30, 40, 50...might as well spend that time doing something we like.

Currently 35, will be 38 when I hope to start med school.

38 with my first interview for a 39 start in the middle of January....:)
(I have a bunch of fish for those counting pets):D

I'm 23 now - 24 next July. I've got two kids (both under 4 yrs) and a fiance. I thought I was too old to start into med school, but after reading some of your posts - I guess I'm the baby on here! Glad I stopped in here to check things out! Thanks for the boost guys!

25 now. I'll be 26 when I apply, 27 when I enter (hopefully).

Y'all are young'uns. I'm an MSI at the ripe old age of 39. Currently looking for a graveplot with a nice view of the river under a large elm tree,
I'm 31 and an MS1 also.

Shy, I want you to know that you inspired me. I decided to bake muffins and cookies as gifts for some of my classmates and professors. One of my classmates says to me, "Q, I didn't know you could cook!" I told him, "Dude, I have a PhD in organic synthesis. Of COURSE I can cook!" :smuggrin:

I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!

Reactions: 7 users
I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!

Great!!!!! Glad for you (and for me) UNMC is on my wishlist and at 37 11.5/12 I was worried they would be afraid of the seasoned folks!:)