~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My age is the same as my MCAT: 30

Wish I was older ;)
Heh heh, I guess I'm glad that I'm not as old as my MCAT score. :eek: :p

Members don't see this ad.

29 and let me just say ya'll will be seeing a lot more of me around here now that I know there is a forum for non-trad's. It is such a relief to find people my age trying to do this! It gives me confidence knowing that there are people out that that aren't 18-22 trying to get into Med School. I have been looking for you! I'm glad I found you and I am here to stay!:D

By the way when do we eat?:) I make a very delicious (although be it unhealthy) breakfast?

Q thanks for the know how on the organic...I'll keep that in minde when I hit that lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
29 and let me just say ya'll will be seeing a lot more of me around here now that I know there is a forum for non-trad's. It is such a relief to find people my age trying to do this! It gives me confidence knowing that there are people out that that aren't 18-22 trying to get into Med School. I have been looking for you! I'm glad I found you and I am here to stay!:D

By the way when do we eat?:) I make a very delicious (although be it unhealthy) breakfast?

Q thanks for the know how on the organic...I'll keep that in minde when I hit that lab.
The secret is doing your prelabs. Seriously. Do a good job on your prelabs, and your labs will go great. It's no harder than following a recipe out of a cookbook; UG experiments have all been trouble-shooted a billion zillion times.

Well, I guess it's ok to be that age as long as I don't *look* like that age. ;)
I, on the other hand, think my age would make a perfectly good MCAT score. I'd be so happy with that.

And I need to substitute something else for that recipe I posted earlier. It did not come out as expected. Not that it was bad, it was just one of multiple recipes for the same thing, and it clearly wasn't the one I'm used to.

So I started this threading completely terrified that I was going to be starting everthing way to late in life to really enjoy it. I am 22 and I will probably start my first year of any schooling this year. That means if I go straight through 34-35 right? I think so... I have parents who never really cared much about College so I am brand spanken new at this and need all the help I can get. I am looking to end with a degree in Dermatology, if that is even the correct terminology. So anyone with any ideas PM me or just let me know..

Happy Holidays

I am really quite excellent at baking but cooking on the other hand isn't my specialty by any standard. I can hold my own but I could use a lesson or two.

Except I took the Honors Organic labs and we didn't follow the recipe. Actually, I think I had a lot more fun that way. See..I absolutely love to cook too, and I rarely follow a recipe.

i always start with a recipe and tweak it until i've produced something completely different. and better, of course ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned forty! (Married with 17 and 19 y/o sons) But I feel 25... :D especially when I'm at school hanging with friends who are just a few years older than my kids!

31 with 2 kids and a husband... and some posters will be glad to see that I have chosen not to list any pets, despite the fact that this will undoubtedly hurt the feelings of the ants who lived on our porch throughout the month of September. ;)

I still have to overcome an undergrad GPA that looks like it was hanging out in New Orleans when Katrina hit... so I'm hoping to start med school at 35 (and I will feel very lucky even then). In the meantime, I'm a pretty awesome cook/baker (and I'm pretty humble too ;))... I always thought biochemists were the most creative cooks - you start with a recipe and then go with "a few drops of this" and "a small amount of that" and before you know it you've created a unique masterpiece. I make a killer lasagna and a whole slew of mediterranean and middle eastern dishes, but cakes and pastries are my specialty. My "Napoleon" is now qiute famous in 7 states, 1 territory and the District of Columbia... no joke! So, when's the party? :D

I am 27, will be 29 when I apply. People say I look anywhere between late teens to early twenties. I have two kiddies, and prob. one more when in med-school, and not married yet. so, non-trad all the way, but soon to be married, anyway;)

33... No kids...no husband....

And my cooking is so good it'll make you forget your own name!

My particular favorite brownie to make has a cheesecake-like layer in the middle with a lovely chocolate ganache on top. And dinner tonight was crepes with fresh strawberries. :) Thought about having mimosa with it, but thought I'd save that for new year's eve.

I am 40 with wife of 12 years, daughter of 4 & another one in utero - due in mid-Jan. I am also in the FINAL 6 MONTHS of my anesthesiology residency!!!

Old folks - IT CAN BE DONE!

32, matriculating at 33.

Also, if you are an applicant with a family and kids, career changeer, etc. The www.oldpremeds.org website caters to alot of those types of questions and the conference (this next June in Chicago) is absolutly amazing.
If you can, I would make the effort to get to the conference, not olny are some wonderful speakers lined up, but you will be sitting in a room of non traditional applicants who are there to help each other succeed!

Marcia

So I'm a slow starter, had to make some screw ups before getting myself in the right direction so I'm only a sophomore pre-med (lowly, I know). But I'm 22 now and as I see it should hopefully be 28 (maybe 29) depending on taking 1-2 years to do peace corps and study abroad to get my travel bug out before settling into the big grind. I look at everyone my age who are getting accepted into med school and wonder who would let such youngins in, but oh well. Am I backwards?:confused:

Only as much as the rest of us, moobaloo. Many of us messed up early on, or just needed a bit longer to grow up or figure out what we wanted to do once we did grow up. Welcome aboard! :)

36 now, and will graduate from vet school at the tender age of 40. One dependent of the canine variety. And I make a mean oatmeal raisin cookie, but can barely cook otherwise!

The good thing is that 20 year olds don't seem to have an accurate perception of what 36 looks like - I seem to get a lot of people telling me I look much, much younger (and believe me, I don't) :)

I will be quite happy if my mcat score equals my age.:) Hoping to start med school at 36. People also say I don't look my age, but they are usually the youngsters who imagine a 35 year old must have gray hair and a cane.:smuggrin:

youngin here! 23 will be turning 24 soon after starting med school next fall (hopefully)

on second thought, i should clear that up... not hopefully turning 24 next fall, but hopefully starting med school next fall. :D

i don't really consider myself a non-trad applicant, but i will have taken 2 years between college and med school, so that's not really traditional either.

hello to all,

i'll be 28 when i begin med school. i'm 23 now and working in clinical research. i'll be attending PA school in the next year or so to bide my time until my wife finishes her master's program.

-A

I am 51 and 11/12 years old. Right now I am an M1 at The University of Nebraska Medical Center and having the time of my life!

Oohhhhh!!! You are my idol, now! I'm 50, finishing my prereqs. I LOVE being back in school. Sooooo looking forward to medical school!!!

I will be quite happy if my mcat score equals my age.:) Hoping to start med school at 36. People also say I don't look my age, but they are usually the youngsters who imagine a 35 year old must have gray hair and a cane.:smuggrin:

LOL!!! I volunteer in the ED at one of our local hospitals. The patients who usually mention I don't look my age are either the 20-somethings or 80-somethings. So, for those of you 20-somethings who get mistaken for a high-schooler (been there, done that), smile and be grateful, cause you're gonna LOVE it when a patient thinks you're 25 when you're really 50!! (That actually happened to me.)

One wife and three children...

Interviewed at Duke this week and did I ever feel old...

I also have a wife and 2 kids. I am the sole bread maker of my family. How do you make the finacials work? I have a morgage and bill payments to make. I am 33 years old and have been working for a chemical company for 10 years after I graduated with a BS in Biology-Chemistry and I pay all the bills.

Thanks for the comments,

kylemadison

...How do you make the finacials work?...

I don't have a spouse or children, but I still had to give up my mortgage and a chunk of my retirement savings to pay for postbac. Plus paring my budget down to necessities and getting all the loans I can.

I have two different sets of friends who are married couples with kids, and both had to make lots of shared adjustments to keep the family going when one parent switched careers. Mostly they seem to have postponed a lot of happiness.

You have a lot to balance. Clear prioritization and crystal clear communication with your spouse is a must. I hope all you have to do for med school apps is MCAT, and that your wife is a super trooper.

Best of luck to you.

P.S. in keeping with the thread theme, I'm 40, and hope to start med school at 42.

My frame of thought used to be that I had to hit the normal benchmarks in perfect sequence. High School, College, Job, Marriage, Kids and then everything would be perfect.

I have found more joy IN YEARS by quitting my job and returning to school. I've developed a deep sense of gratitude and respect for science.

My point is that I'm 31 and my friends are forced to toil away in towers with stiff suits and hair gel. I get to throw on a backpack and clogs. It seems like so many people are driven by what they anticipate others will perceive on a resume.

I'm don't feel like a displaced refugee like some said. I just walk around with a smile on my face all day. I'm more confident, excited, and motivated than I have been in years!!! I just feel great!!!

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT BEING 27, 32, 35 OR 38?

I am 32 and will probably get in at 42. I can't help being negative at this point.

Heather, I got in at 39. Don't be negative -- schools pick up on that, and no one wants to have a negative influence on an already tough task. Turn it around. It's entirely possible to be a competitive applicant in your 30s and beyond.

As for the financials - we have students who have young children with stay at home spouses. It works. Just learn to live in a budget.

single mom twins
las vegas

34. Married, 4 daughters. Should be 36 when I get in. (fingers crossed)

I'm 23 now - 24 next July. I've got two kids (both under 4 yrs) and a fiance. I thought I was too old to start into med school, but after reading some of your posts - I guess I'm the baby on here! Glad I stopped in here to check things out! Thanks for the boost guys!

Hey I had to take the baby title from you. I just turned 23 last month. When I first realized It was going to take a while for my prereqs I thought I was going to be so far behind. Then I realized waiting those couple of years or more for others, just adds some seasoning to you and your application. Right on for those going to Med School later on in life!

I am 23 years old now, Just finished my first year of undergrad work, if everything goes as planned I will start veterinary medical school when I'm 26. This site and reading its members posts has helped me in my decision to seriously pursue medicine.

-Joe

Oohhhhh!!! You are my idol, now! I'm 50, finishing my prereqs. I LOVE being back in school. Sooooo looking forward to medical school!!!
If that's you in your icon, for the love of GOD I hope I look that good when I'm your age. :D

29 now. I will be 31 when I start med school (if all goes well). I just want to say congrats to all for taking such a huge step to try and pursue this dream. If you all are anything like me, then that 'why am I doing this again?' question tends to come up every now and again throughout various stages of the process. This forum is a good motivator and reminder of why we are all doing this. Good luck to all.
-B