May 5, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I'm 49 - will be 50 by the time I matriculate in August at my top pick med school --> University of Washington!
Just found out I was accepted a few weeks ago am still ecstatic :D

For those of you who wonder if you're too old - hell no! Honestly, I don't know what "almost 50" is supposed to feel like, but I feel great and am more than ready to take on this new challenge. Don't let people make you feel like you're past your prime - that's up to you to decide. I'm thinking I'll slow down once I hit 90.

My #1 tip - look into schools that really do cherish diversity in their med school class - a lot of schools will toss that into their mission statement, but fewer schools actually walk the walk. U of Washington is definitely one of them. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

Anyway - good luck to you all & keep up the hard work - you'll get there.
you are an inspiration!

Non-Traditional Applicants
How many students are over 30?

Each year the incoming class has about 58 students in their 30's. The average age of the class is 24, and approximately half the class does not come to medical school directly after graduation. The oldest student we have accepted was 63 and we have had a handful of students in their 40's.
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Reactions: 969109
About the Ads
Jul 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I will be 31 when I matriculate.

Yinmei

7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm 30 this year. It's nice to have this non-traditional community support after reading so many "if you don't have 521 MCAT and 4.0 gpa, you'll never get in" comments

Jul 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm 30 this year. It's nice to have this non-traditional community support after reading so many "if you don't have 521 MCAT and 4.0 gpa, you'll never get in" comments
I'm not trying to go to Harvard. lol. The MSAR gives an accurate sample of student scores who matriculate. Everyone exaggerates online. I used to body build and everyone online could bench press 350 and deadlift 700 until you asked them to show a video. lol. Same here.

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
i am (damn, i legit forgot how old i am)... (stress. hahhaha). Ok, i am 33, will be 37 when i graduate

Moocille

OMS-1
Jan 26, 2019
Status
Medical Student
39, starting next week...so, 43 when I graduate and start residency. All of my grandparents worked well into their 70s, and I have longevity in my line. I feel like as long as I stay mentally, spiritually and physically healthy, I’ll be fine.

Oh, and I’m not competing with 20-somethings out there in the medical world. My only competition in this thing is ME.

May 8, 2019
Status
Medical Student, Occupational Therapy Student
22 and starting MS1 in September.
Sounds pretty traditional but I have 3 years of occupational therapy under my belt which I gave up to pursue medicine. My friends have just finished taking their TWMLE Step 1.
PS. I’m Taiwanese and we start professional school straight out of HS. Six years for that MD!

Reactions: FeCade
Dec 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
36 here. I am doing a post-bacc first for two years and I will be applying after that. I will likely be 46 when I finish residency, which sounds kind of scary, but I learned to enjoy the process and I would a million times rather find what truly makes me happy than sit and wait for happiness to find me. The latter will force me to wait forever and I don't want to waste a moment. I have been an electrical engineer for 15 years and have met some extremely smart and amazing people, but we all need to find what drives us. Good luck to everyone!

Jan 11, 2020
Status
Non-Student
30 and starting from scratch. Once upon a time I was getting a Masters in Theology. 4 year, 121 credit program that I have a little bit more than half completed; life circumstance changed all of that. The pipe dream is med school for medical missions: the freedom that gives vs NP, PA, or anything like that. Essentially I'll be taking community college courses for 2 years to get my sciences caught up, go to a post-bacc 1 year Masters in Medical Science, and then apply from there.

Is that too ambitious? Am I being insane?

hopefulstudent321

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Will turn 29 right before I matriculate. A few years older than many of my peers, but the way I think about it- time is going to pass by anyways, so why not go for it and do what we’ve always dreamed of. It’s inspiring to see everyone in different stages of life going for their goals! Good job everyone, well make it one day!

Jan 23, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm 29 now. I won't be done with my prereqs till I'm 31, but I turn 32 that summer. Hopefully I can start at 33 lol.

At least I have an MBA haha.

Reactions: PeleHonuaMea
Jan 23, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
30 and starting from scratch. Once upon a time I was getting a Masters in Theology. 4 year, 121 credit program that I have a little bit more than half completed; life circumstance changed all of that. The pipe dream is med school for medical missions: the freedom that gives vs NP, PA, or anything like that. Essentially I'll be taking community college courses for 2 years to get my sciences caught up, go to a post-bacc 1 year Masters in Medical Science, and then apply from there.

Is that too ambitious? Am I being insane?
Coming from most the peers on here and straight from the MD school sources. I recommend that you try and take those prerequisites at a 4 year college!

OwurayawMD

5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2013
Status
30 years in 2 months and i matriculate this fall. the journey has been real But we keep pushing.

Oct 28, 2019
Status
My med school starts the day after my birthday this year! I will be 32! It was about a 7 year premed journey for me. I have a BSc from outside of the US, so I had to do so many courses in the US I think I can almost get a second bachelor’s degree :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slmc89
Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m 40. I’ll turn 41 the first week of med school (already accepted). 6 kids A wife and a mortgage.

Benjamin87

Sensei-in-training
Feb 6, 2019
Status
Medical Student
32 (still, but also when I started last fall). I've been an elementary school teacher, middle school teacher, lived in another country for a spell, done a masters in public health, and was an infectious disease epidemiologist for my home state for a few years. No wife or kids (that I know of...lol), but I have two pretty awesome dogs...and I wouldn't change any of the professional decisions I've made up to this point (personal decisions on the other hand...haha).

This truly is an inspirational thread...just added it to the watch list. Hope to hear from lots more unique medics (future and past).

Reactions: HMC_CORPSMAN9000
About the Ads