Attn: Reapplicants, SMPers, non-trads, etc.: Special Masters Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t man

Epoxi-Lips
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all right... so, i've been searching threads about master's programs and haven't really been finding the info that i'm looking for.

a few questions...

1. Are there any SMP programs that are tailored towards predental students and not just premeds?

2. What programs accept the DAT instead of the MCAT or GRE?

3. Did you like your experience in the program?

4. Were you accepted to d-school during your year in the program?

5. Do you have any other notable piece of info regarding SMPs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would check every Osteopathic Med school around. They always seemed to have these Masters of Biomedical Sciences degrees that were two years long and basical programs to help medical students get in. They would work well for Dental school too. I know that the one at Midwestern in Glendale, Arizona and one in Texas would both accept the DAT instead of the MCAT. Also look for schools that have a masters in Anatomical sciences. They are usually two year programs, and let you select from alot of science courses. For example the one at University of Louisville lets you take head and neck anatomy for part of the requirement, and they offer biochem as an electiver as well.

thanks, veneto... i'm looking for programs in the east (northeast), but any info is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello!

at this point i think that the SMP route may not be best for me, but i did compile some info on programs. i received a PM about a post-bacc linkage with creighton, but the link doesn't work on their website. i couldn't find any info there.

from my research, i found the following programs, all of them accept the DAT

Boston University - BUMAMS (BU MA in Medical Sciences) - research based, however you can opt for the library thesis track and the program can take twelve months. two concentration of interest to predental students within the masters program: oral biology and oral health. you can take classes alongside dental students here.

Barry University - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year or 2 year track. didactic courses. pretty straight forward, and they have impressive numbers on their website as far as successful d-school applicants go. i'm still skeptical about this program... it's probably not legitimate skepticism. classes taken alongside health professional students.

UMDNJ - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year. didactic courses. a lot like Barry, but you can take classes with dental students like at boston. this is also the least expensive program i found.

Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine and Science - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year. didactic courses taken alongside medical students. again, pretty straightforward.

UPenn - no degree granted - this program accepts any standardize test score, and was overall the least attractive in my opinion. it's catered to med students, no degree, and really expensive. You take science courses alongside graduate science students and there's the name recognition.

there are probably others, but i didn't research them.

most of these programs are promising for students who have low GPAs or have been out of school for a while. a good DAT score is required. acceptance rates for professional schools are much much better once you complete the program and then apply during the ensuing gap year.

From my experience, d-schools like to see FULL loads of ALL science courses for any post-bac work. This shows them that you could handle a dental curriculum if you're coming from a poor academic track record, like myself. So I just started a 40-hour masters in biology, non-thesis track. I will complete this in 12 months (3 semesters) taking 12-15 hrs per semester (hopefully........). So if you cant find anything specific like a SMP or dental school linked program, dont sweat it out. Just look into a science masters program at your nearby university.

I did my MS in Biotechnology at Johns Hopkins: http://advanced.jhu.edu

100% coursework based (10 classes), great program IMO.

I already have posted a lot of information about it, search the forums for the Biotechnology MS or look at my previous postings.