AMA Non-Trad D1 in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sic'emBears

D1
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Procrastinating studying for midterms so feel free to ask me any app questions, or anything about D1 year here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'll be applying to Texas schools as a Texas resident in the 25-26 cycle. Do you have any advice for what the TX schools are looking for in applicants? I know the usual list: GPA, DAT, service, shadowing, involvement, dexterity, research, but sometimes people who seem to have all of those things don't get an acceptance. Also, any suggestions for ways to make connections with the schools in the year before I apply? I go to an out of state undergrad (I chased a scholarship) so it may be a little harder for me to make those connections. I would need to do things during the summer, Christmas break and spring break.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any TMDSAS resources you found helpful? How did matching work for you?
I loved using the TMDSAS statistics available on their website. You get a good chance to see where you fit regarding GPA and DAT score. This saved a lot of time and stress when applying. I wish I had used some of the other resources on TMDSAS but stats seemed to put my mind at ease.

One of my biggest mistakes was waiting until my DAT score was in and verified to submit my application. I would never recommend doing this. I was worried that schools would look at my 19 attempt before they had a chance to see my new one and immediately write me off... Not sure if this would have happened but waiting for my official score to come in and get results verified cost me AT LEAST 5-6 weeks when I could have been potentially interviewed (I wasn't interviewed until February). My advice there, which is echoed throughout this page, is to apply no later than early July, submit your app and if you're still waiting on DAT scores then make your priority schools aware that you are waiting on them.

I only matched with one Texas school and a few out of state. My undergrad GPA was a 2.89 so not surprising considering my undergrad transcript was riddled with C's and repeats.. However I'm so thankful to the schools that believed in me because after my Master's and postgrad classes, I feel on par with my 4.0 25+DAT classmates in my D1 year.

-Sic'emBears

Hi! I'll be applying to Texas schools as a Texas resident in the 25-26 cycle. Do you have any advice for what the TX schools are looking for in applicants? I know the usual list: GPA, DAT, service, shadowing, involvement, dexterity, research, but sometimes people who seem to have all of those things don't get an acceptance. Also, any suggestions for ways to make connections with the schools in the year before I apply? I go to an out of state undergrad (I chased a scholarship) so it may be a little harder for me to make those connections. I would need to do things during the summer, Christmas break and spring break.
Volunteer at TMOM. Connections are something you shouldn't stress too much about at this point. What are your stats?

Reactions: 1 users
Volunteer at TMOM. Connections are something you shouldn't stress too much about at this point. What are your stats?
Thank you! I've been a little worried about missing out on connections with the schools in my home state. I will look into adding TMOM events to my volunteering, I do a lot of volunteering during the school year (out of state) and also with a food pantry in Texas when I'm home during breaks. I'm only a sophomore, but so far stats are good - 4.0 gpa. That may change soon because I'm taking Ochem and Cell Bio right now! :0

Thank you! I've been a little worried about missing out on connections with the schools in my home state. I will look into adding TMOM events to my volunteering, I do a lot of volunteering during the school year (out of state) and also with a food pantry in Texas when I'm home during breaks. I'm only a sophomore, but so far stats are good - 4.0 gpa. That may change soon because I'm taking Ochem and Cell Bio right now! :0
Focus on your grades and forming relationships with folks! Dental schools want people that can handle a grad school level workload but don't want Biology robots... they want someone personable with a diverse life experience. It sounds like you're doing the right things and you should be fine if you continue on your current path. Keep the faith

Sic'emBears

Whats your biggest complaint or something that you dont like about the program ?

DDS program
Ehhh really the only complaint is outside of the clinic (which is new and amazing) everything else is really old and the school itself is in a not super safe area in Dallas. New labs are coming soon though and I've had a great time thus far.