Nyit Bs/do 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rubie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was accepted to the NYIT BS/DO program this fall, anyone else? let's talk!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I was accepted to the NYIT BS/DO program this fall, anyone else? let's talk!:laugh:

Hello. We usually don't have many priviliged people here who get into med school while still in Undergrad. :cool:

hi i got accepted into NYIT's BS/DO program also. however. i don't really know much about the program. was it a competitive program? how hard was it? Is it worth not going to schools like duke or georgetown for NYIT?

Members don't see this ad :)
the program is great in the sense that you end up saving yourself a big headache with applications; unless you choose to apply outside.
the upper level science classes offered are very unique, really interesting, and make you work hard. and the good news is you end up not having to take classes that mean nothing towards your major; music, art, and a bunch of electives. don't get me wrong if that is what you want to do then go for it, but if you are set on your goal and are trying to get there as quickly as you can--then this is an ideal opportunity.
as far as duke and what not...that is your personal choice. if you know about NYCOM and/or are set on being a DO this is a perfect opportunity; but just keep in mind you must maintain a gpa (3.5 i think) and get an MCAT of ~26 so it's not an easy ride when trying to do that and take about 18-21 credits a semester. the fruit of your labor is well worth it if you make it through the process and end up going to NYCOM; which lets face it, is a well known and respected school.

hope that helps :)

I am in a state of confusion. Can someone please tell me the selectivity of getting into the program? how many applicants are accepted into the BS/Do program at NYIT?

I am in a state of confusion. Can someone please tell me the selectivity of getting into the program? how many applicants are accepted into the BS/Do program at NYIT?

If you can get a GPA of at least 3.5 and MCAT of 26, you don't need to worry much about not getting into any DO school. Do not base your decision on the selectivity of the program. Just try to find out if it is good/fit your need.

i have no intention on basing my decision on the selectivity of the program. I know i am going to attend the program regardless. Some people say it was easy to get into. I would just like to know for myself how many applied and how many was actually accepted. I also looked up the requirements for the NYIT. Students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.3 and get at least a 24 on the MCAT. thanks for the reply though.

i have no intention on basing my decision on the selectivity of the program. I know i am going to attend the program regardless. Some people say it was easy to get into. I would just like to know for myself how many applied and how many was actually accepted. I also looked up the requirements for the NYIT. Students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.3 and get at least a 24 on the MCAT. thanks for the reply though.

I'm sorry if my response sounded that way. It wasn't intend to.
I was trying to say that it is not too difficult to get into a DO school. Hence, you may want to explore more options by going traditional route of 4 year college.
However, if you have your mind set on osteopathic medicine, it will save you time/money and give you peace of mind.

I'm sorry if my response sounded that way. It wasn't intend to.
I was trying to say that it is not too difficult to get into a DO school. Hence, you may want to explore more options by going traditional route of 4 year college.
However, if you have your mind set on osteopathic medicine, it will save you time/money and give you peace of mind.

Peace of mind.....great thing to have it worth it.:)

So i looked up the requirements for NYIT which is a minimal score of 24 on the MCAT and a N for the writing. What does the N stand for? i checked with NYCOM's princetonreview profile and it said null. Does that acutually mean that the writing section will not count? Just wondering. thanks guys

Man, I WISH I had participated in a program like this. Would have saved me a lot of stress, not to mention a couple years of education. I think I would do it. There's really not a lot of difference between a D.O. / M.D. Plus, if you change your mind you can always apply M.D. but with the assurance of knowing you can stay in Old Westbury.

So i looked up the requirements for NYIT which is a minimal score of 24 on the MCAT and a N for the writing. What does the N stand for? i checked with NYCOM's princetonreview profile and it said null. Does that acutually mean that the writing section will not count? Just wondering. thanks guys

lol... N stands for the writing sample score on the MCAT. (J to T range, I think).
24 N is what you need to get to be able to continue BS/DO program.

lol... N stands the writing sample score on the MCAT. (J to T range, I think).
24 N is what you need to get to be able to continue BS/DO program.

thanks a lot. this shows how much i know about becoming a DO

Some people say it was easy to get into. I would just like to know for myself how many applied and how many was actually accepted. I also looked up the requirements for the NYIT. Students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.3 and get at least a 24 on the MCAT. thanks for the reply though.

Hello there, I'm actually a third year bs/do at NYIT and thought I should help clarify some of your questions. First of all, the gpa/mcat requirements have changed. They haven't updated the website for some reason but I know for a fact that after my year, all bs/do's are required to maintain a min 3.5 overall gpa (with a 3.3 in the sciences), and at least a 26N on the MCAT. As far as selectivity is concerned, it's actually not THAT difficult to get into the program. I chose NYIT after being wait listed at Sophie Davis and was surprised that there wasn't even an interview process. However, the program does slowly weed people out. In my year there were about 40 of us starting out, and now roughly 20 of us are continuing on to NYCOM. If you're a serious student you should be absolutely fine. Taking 18-21 credits per semester is challenging, but do-able, especially since the electives at NYIT are relatively easy. You'll be focusing most of your time in your science core courses.

Last edited:
wow i wish someone had told me earlier. I am still considering going to the BS/DO program, but will continue to wait on my other schools. I also applied to Duke, Georgetown, NYU, and Cornell.

hey! I was wondering how many people are in a class on average?? Plus are classes simply lectures or does it involve lots of class interactioN?

Bad news for me. I might not be able to attend NYIT because it would cost me $15,000 a year in loans. It is unaffordable. To all those that were admitted, i wish you the best of luck

how hard is to maintain 3.5 in science subjects? what subjects are considered science? is maths and physics count as science for this program? I read somewhere else that it take him no effort to get an A in maths, is this true??

I wanted to drop by and say hi! I was also accepted to the BS/DO program. I just want to thank Rubie for starting up this forum and thank Noor429 for the 3rd year bs/do insight.

There was a 'special' bs/do meeting on Wednesday, March 28th, 2007. I noticed that most of the students accepted were Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi (-American). I'm curious on who's 'race-wise' is in the program. (There isn't a whole lot of information out there on this program and I want to know a bit more)

Thanks in advance.

The majority of the bs/do programs are indian/pakistani/etc. However, there are other ethnic groups as well. So don't be afraid if you aren't the majority. =)

The BS/DO is a nice program for those that are 100% sure they want medicine. But be very careful... I've had a lot of friends who were 100% sure of medicine freshman year of college and ended up changing field/major.

If it was up to me, I would say to go to a 4 year college and enjoy your life while you're still young. Don't try to grow up too quick. Medicine might not be all its cracked up to be.

how hard is to maintain 3.5 in science subjects? what subjects are considered science? is maths and physics count as science for this program? I read somewhere else that it take him no effort to get an A in maths, is this true??

I am also a third year BS/DO. Coming from high school you might think that getting an A in a science course is very easy. I was shocked how hard the classes were. And I didn't do so well my freshman year but my sophmore and junior year did more than make up for it it.

Now to maintain a 3.5 will leave you with no room for error. So you will have to mostly get A's in your science and few or no B's. Much eaiser said then done. The classes that are considered a science are all your bio courses and chemistry but unlike accomas or aamc the program does not consider physics, calc or psych to be a science. Which basically sucks if you do well in them that they can not boost your sceince GPA. I hope that helped.

Hey,

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. I thank you in advance!! :) You may private message me or e-mail me at [email protected] . I appreciate all of your help.;)

How many people enter as freshman and continue through the entire program?
Who are the people that DO drop out of the program? For what reason?
How great are the professors in the undergraduate program?
Do most of the BS/DO students live on or off campus? Do they live together?