Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omar322

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone thinking about coming here next year or has any questions about rush just post away.

Members don't see this ad.

After weeks of anxiety and frequent trips to the mailbox...it came, YEAH!!!
I am still waiting to hear back from several schools, but I canceled the interviews at schools that don't compare to Rush...

Who is trying to make the decision between Rush and another school? What do you see as the drawbacks to Rush (beside the money:p )?

i'll be at rush for sure next fall. i absolutely loved the place.

trying to think of downsides to rush....

it seems like a lot of time is spent in the classroom, i suppose.

yeah, that's all that comes to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's everyone from? (I am going to school in Seattle)
Is anyone waiting to hear back from other schools? (I am waiting to hear from a couple)
What are you guys going to do all summer (now that the stress in life is gone)? I am not sure what to do....job? and where?

i'm in indiana at notre dame, but applied as an ooser. i'm originally from los angeles.
technically i do have about 11 schools left, but i'm so set on rush that they don't really matter to me.
i haven't really decided what my summer plans are yet, but as of now i'm leaning towards relaxing and doing a lot of nothing. i figure it'll be our last free summer for a good while, so we might as well enjoy it.

which other schools are you waiting to hear from?

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and have not heard. Just curious as to how long it took to get a decision..............?

took me about 3 weeks (i interviewed 11/29 and the letter was dated 12/22). sounds like they're backed up a little bit so it might take longer now. best of luck to you!

I interviewed on 1-24 and got the response 3.5weeks later...

I am waiting on loyola, jefferson, albany, ohsu, vcu...I would consider loyola, but I am pretty sure that Rush is at the top of the list. So, I am pretty sure that I will be at Rush! I was just so impressed with Rush's environment ( I am sick of being at a huge school...UW-35,000 undergrad)

I am worried about getting really bored this summer! I can't deal with 5mo. of relaxation...but any job is almost not worth it...won't put a dent in my future debt...So, I was thinking about volunteering...or continuing my unpaid research...just don't know.

Are you guys thinking about living in school housing?

by the way..what other schools are you waiting on?

a little too lazy to type it out, so here's my mdapps.
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6868

i stayed with a student host when i interviewed, and i was really impressed with the on campus housing. what do you think of the housing, omar? and what year are you?

yeah, i completely hear you- summer is just long enough to not get a worthwhile job. your volunteering or your research sounds like a good time. i know that if i do nothing, i'll quickly become bored, so i'm looking for possibilities too. but we'll just see what happens.

Hey! Glad to see this thread getting started =)

I interviewed 12/7, got my acceptance 1/11 -- soooo happy! I loved everything about Rush, particularly the sense of community. I'm waiting on 2 other school verdicts before settling for certain, but my heart is really set on Rush. :love:

I'm wondering about the Second Look weekend. I emailed them twice about dates (trying to make plans) but no reply. Anyone have any ideas as to when this might be?

yeah, i've been wondering about the second look too. rush hasn't really sent me anything in a while. what correspondence have you folks gotten from rush post acceptance?

Yay! Just helping to keep this thread alive. I'm from California.. the Bay Area. I've been out of school for 2 years now doing tons of the things I wanted to do before med school. Still waiting on some schools but I'm about 80% I'm going to Rush. This summer the tentative plan is moving down to LA (Santa Monica area), chilling on the beach, and working any odd end job to pay the rent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I got off the waitlist on Monday!!!

ndteej-

i'm a first year here at rush and i live on campus which is an apartment complex called center court. there are a lot of pros and cons to living here. like for example its a one minute walk to class every morning which is awesome especially during some of the freezing cold weeks in chicago. the big con though is that its a bit pricey, i personally pay 650 a month to live in a double and there isnt much going on socially in this area of chicago. but then again, the vast majority of M1s live here so its great for meeting and hanging out with new people in your class.

don't worry about second look day, it'll be sometime in may and they'll send everyone an e-vite via email. its not mandatory to go to, but going there last year definetly helped me make up my mind about coming to rush. if you guys have specific questions about anything feel free to send me a PM.

hey omar, thanks for your response. i stayed at center court before i interviewed and was actually pretty impressed. but you're right, it is a bit pricy--esp for a single.

do you have any idea around when in may the second look will be? may seems like an odd time to have it- all those still in school will have finals, graduation, and stuff like that...

Congrats on getting off the waitlist!

As far as hearing from Rush, I got some e-mails about criminal record checks blah...and another about financial aid (and confirming my $100 deposit)...I was suprised to hear back so soon (I only put my check in the mail on 2-16)..no news on the 2nd look yet

By the way, I am glad that this forum is becoming more chatty...yeah!

last year second look day was around may 2nd or 3rd. i think they sent out evites in march or april. i'm not sure why they have it in may, but i'm guessing because the weather is nicer and it gives those that interviewed in the winter a different look at the city.

Hey everyone-

I'm from the Chi-town burbs, and really have my heart set on going to Rush. I just received an interview invite, so hopefully it will go well...(mid-March).

Any pointers will be much appreciated. Hope I'll meet you all soon.

Congrats! Do you have any other schools lined up?

Advice: if you have an interview you have almost 2/3 chance of being offered acceptance and your numbers check out....I would say that you should be talkative and open, be ready to explain any discrepancies in your grades or shortcomings in your community service or research (don't make excuses...be able to give the facts of why these things happened), and think hard about the big questions (why doctor, why rush, how do you know you can handle a future in medicine...), be able to give concrete examples and support the admirable traits that you claim to have with the facts of your past....just be you and don't worry--interviewing at Rush is not stressful, they try really hard to foster a positive environment!

Goodluck!

Congrats! Do you have any other schools lined up?

Advice: if you have an interview you have almost 2/3 chance of being offered acceptance and your numbers check out....I would say that you should be talkative and open, be ready to explain any discrepancies in your grades or shortcomings in your community service or research (don't make excuses...be able to give the facts of why these things happened), and think hard about the big questions (why doctor, why rush, how do you know you can handle a future in medicine...), be able to give concrete examples and support the admirable traits that you claim to have with the facts of your past....just be you and don't worry--interviewing at Rush is not stressful, they try really hard to foster a positive environment!

Goodluck!

No interviews yet, but I kind of expect one from U of I (that sounds soo cocky, but there is no way to make it not sound that way)? I'm a unique applicant and have "decent" stats. I applied to a bunch of schools out of my reach though (August MCAT too). Oops. I'll tell everyone how it goes though.

No interviews yet, but I kind of expect one from U of I (that sounds soo cocky, but there is no way to make it not sound that way)? I'm a unique applicant and have "decent" stats. I applied to a bunch of schools out of my reach though (August MCAT too). Oops. I'll tell everyone how it goes though.

congratulations on your interview, dr. d. my interviews went pretty normal. open file one grilled me with ethical issues, closed fine interviewer just said "tell me about youself." if you're looking for stuff to talk about during your interview, here's a post that i found a while ago. it's really good stuff.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3274528&postcount=28

good luck!

Anyone else a little concerned about matriculating with how the admissions office/computer system has been throughout the cycle? I interviewed early, didn't get any of those fake interview invites and I had a wonderful experience on interview day but post interview I tried to follow up and it was near impossible to get a response from a human.

Any thoughts?

I e-mailed Jill Porter about getting contact info for my interviewer ( I forgot to ask...my first interview:p ) It took a couple days but she got back to me and forwarded my thank you note...I think that they are just busy...But I think that Jill will get back to you within a few days:)

Hey everyone-

I'm from the Chi-town burbs, and really have my heart set on going to Rush. I just received an interview invite, so hopefully it will go well...(mid-March).

Any pointers will be much appreciated. Hope I'll meet you all soon.

Congrats! All interviews and interviewers are different of course, but I think Rush typically is a little heavier on ethical and clinical questions. I got a few practical clinical ones like how would you keep yourself on your game if you were working overnight shifts and how to ensure that your patients get the face/talk time they need (and deserve) when you are running a tight clinic schedule. Just relax, take your time and think things through, let them see how you approach and solve problems. Both of my interviewers were very friendly and both were really interested in me as a person (a lot of Qs about personal experiences and interests).
Also - make sure you take advantage of the opportunity to ask the interviewers AND the many med students you meet during tours and lunch whatever questions Jill doesn't answer in the intro :D

But above all, enjoy your day!! Rush is awesome! :luck: :luck:

this thread needs more action.

also, i'm disappointed with the lack of correspondence rush has sent out. they seemed to have their act so together during the interview day! maybe i'm just a compulsive complainer though. whatever the case, rush is still the love of my life.

Their medical college website was last updated in 2001 in some places, 2003 in others.

Truly sad.

so.. anyone else from California planning on going to Rush?

so.. anyone else from California planning on going to Rush?

Yep, from LA. I'm waiting on two more schools but I absolutely love Rush.:love: Where in Cali do you call home?

Yep, from LA. I'm waiting on two more schools but I absolutely love Rush.:love: Where in Cali do you call home?

where you from, pinfeathers? i'm from eagle rock. not many people have heard of it, but it's nestled between pasadena and glendale.

where you from, pinfeathers? i'm from eagle rock. not many people have heard of it, but it's nestled between pasadena and glendale.

Hey we're not too far! I'm in Westwood. Or I was. I went to UCLA, still work there but live up in Simi Valley now and COMMUTE. Funnn. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've driven through Eagle Rock. Isn't there a big rock with a dent in it and that's supposed to be the eagle? Haha, I think I remember seeing it.

I lived in San Diego (Vista- oceanside area) until the end of 6th grade :D and I do research during the summers in balboa...such nice weather compared to the good old Windy city!!! Oh well, we won't have much time to be outside anyway...less distractions :confused:

Hey we're not too far! I'm in Westwood. Or I was. I went to UCLA, still work there but live up in Simi Valley now and COMMUTE. Funnn. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've driven through Eagle Rock. Isn't there a big rock with a dent in it and that's supposed to be the eagle? Haha, I think I remember seeing it.

haha, yes, eagle rock is the big rock with the 'dent' in it. after seeing it for so many years, i actually do see the eagle.
simi valley! that's not too far. i drove through there last time i was home. a nice leisurely stroll on the 134 up the 5 to the 118...

so, what have you been doing since you graduated?

I lived in San Diego (Vista- oceanside area) until the end of 6th grade :D

Yeah my family actually lived in Fallbrook (near Oceanside, but inland) until 2005. And I went to high school near Balboa Park. Been all over SoCal :D Did you do college in SD?

so, what have you been doing since you graduated?

I work at UCLA in minority health. The center I work with staddles public health and psychology. My work has been more focused on community outreach, not so much research. It's really fuelled my desire to work in minority health and get an MPH. How 'bout you? Have you gradded?

I'm in San Jose but I lived in Long Beach till I was 10 and drive/fly down to the LA/OC area several times a year

Hey all-

Does anyone have any idea how filled the 2011 class is? I'm interviewing late March, and just wanted to get an idea if possible. Thanks in advance.

Yeah my family actually lived in Fallbrook (near Oceanside, but inland) until 2005. And I went to high school near Balboa Park. Been all over SoCal :D Did you do college in SD?

Nope, After middle school and high school in Virginia I went to the University of Washington in Seattle - English/Biochem double degree and lacrosse player...

What did you guys major in? sports? (or any other info you want to volunteer)

Have you gradded?

Nope, I'm still a senior at Notre Dame in Indiana. My major is Science Pre-Professional, or in other words, pre-med. I'm so happy I got into Rush--I wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do with a pre-med degree had I not!

I know it's a little early but anyone already thinking about housing? I'm pretty sure I want University housing and I've been looking at the application but I cant decide if I want a double or single... what's everyone else thinking? Also, anyone thinking of bringing their car?

I know it's a little early but anyone already thinking about housing? I'm pretty sure I want University housing and I've been looking at the application but I cant decide if I want a double or single... what's everyone else thinking? Also, anyone thinking of bringing their car?

yeah, i'm thinking on-campus housing. as of now, i'm thinking a single. they are pretty spacious, and i sleep at odd hours, and can be messy, so i think a single is the way to go for me.
as for the car, i don't have one. but if i did, i'd surely bring it!

I have not gotten any of the paperwork yet (how long after the $100 confirm e-mail did you get it?)...as for housing, I am not sure.

I have a car and I am not sure what is going to happen with my bf...I don't think on-campus housing allows non-married couples? It is also more expensive to live on campus (although proximity is a plus)...I don't think that I would mind a short bus or train ride...hmmm

Just not sure...but I am pretty sure that I would want a single too :oops:

I m dropping my acceptance at Rush so hopefully someone else will get my spot soon. It's hard to drop my second choice school. I did love the atmostphere and got a good vibe from Rush. oh well...

hey kelvin, saw your acceptance to UCLA Geffen! CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm watching that thread too though I haven't received any status changes yet. I honestly think I'm leaning toward Rush over UCLA (if I somehow manage a UCLA acceptace), just because I think it's time for a change of scenery and my SO is schooling in IL -- but best wishes to you! You'll love UCLA! :D

hey kelvin, saw your acceptance to UCLA Geffen! CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm watching that thread too though I haven't received any status changes yet. I honestly think I'm leaning toward Rush over UCLA (if I somehow manage a UCLA acceptace), just because I think it's time for a change of scenery and my SO is schooling in IL -- but best wishes to you! You'll love UCLA! :D

hey pinfeathers6, thank you!!! UCLA and RUSH are my first and second choice respectively. Well, I do wanna live close to home and the instate tuition is really something to think about. Good luck on your choice of school and I wish you the best wherever you go. :)

anybody else a little intimidated by rush's quarter system? i've grown up on the semester system. the quarter system seems so fast paced!

I am a little, even though the quarter system is all I've ever known. Quarters are intense but I think med school will bring new meaning to that word! And med school in quarter system -- yeah, I can only imagine. BUT I've heard that Rush is really good in the first two years -- you get a lot of academic support from staff, students and even faculty in some cases. It sounds like a very cooperative, collabortive environment.

I love the quarter system!!! I've had it all of college...and I was stressed about having to possibly deal with semesters!

It's great cause you can never get too far behind in a class...because in a few weeks it is a new quarter! And, if you dislike the class or the teacher...it changes!!! And things stay upbeat and change often enough that you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long....

So, I think I am going to cancel my Rosalind Franklin interview... But, it feels strange canceling options before I consider them (already canceled St. Louis....) but I don't think that RF is half as good a school (Any opinions please?)

I also got rejected from Tulane today...oh well, didn't want all that warm weather anyway :D ...I am holding a spot at UIC but I was extremely unimpressed when I visited...and honestly, I am not sure what can top the Rush atmosphere!

Has anyone filed financial aid stuff? or gotten papers from Rush about other stuff?

I love the quarter system!!! I've had it all of college...and I was stressed about having to possibly deal with semesters!

It's great cause you can never get too far behind in a class...because in a few weeks it is a new quarter! And, if you dislike the class or the teacher...it changes!!! And things stay upbeat and change often enough that you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long....

So, I think I am going to cancel my Rosalind Franklin interview... But, it feels strange canceling options before I consider them (already canceled St. Louis....) but I don't think that RF is half as good a school (Any opinions please?)

I also got rejected from Tulane today...oh well, didn't want all that warm weather anyway :D ...I am holding a spot at UIC but I was extremely unimpressed when I visited...and honestly, I am not sure what can top the Rush atmosphere!

Has anyone filed financial aid stuff? or gotten papers from Rush about other stuff?

I agree. Semesters are just way too long. I already declined 4 interviews after my Rush acceptance and I feel bad each time I decide to decline. I only applied to 9 schools to begin with so I'm pretty much done with my application process and am just waiting to hear back from the other schools I interviewed at.

I turned in all my financial aid stuff last week and they sent me an email telling me it was complete.

points about the advantages to the quarter system are well taken. it seems as though my phobia of the quarter system is unfounded...

i got an email from rush just on friday telling me that they recently received my fafsa, and i need to complete the institutional aid form and send in some other stuff. that's all i've heard from 'em in the last few weeks.

also something funny, i've declined only one interview, and it was from tulane. also, i just got uic's rejection yesterday. it seems as though we're opposites, vanillabeans! and you're right, is there anyhing that can top the rush atmosphere?