Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering as I prep for my interview in March...are those that are active in this thread and plan on attending Rush in-state or out-of-state? Just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

ndteej, that is funny! Again proving how strange Med school admissions are!

Ok, I think that I will cancel it...

Just wondering as I prep for my interview in March...are those that are active in this thread and plan on attending Rush in-state or out-of-state? Just wondering...

I'm OOS (CA) and it sounds like a lot of us in the thread so far are OOSers as well, though Rush has a strong in-state preference. During my interviews, my interviewers asked me about my ties to the state and why I would want to school in IL. This was easy for me -- my SO of 8 years is doing his PhD at UofIll-Urbana-Champaign, and I am also professionally interested in working wth a specific population in Chicago, and was aware of the needs and some of the programs already in place in the city for the health of this group. I'm not sure this was a point of scrutiny so much as an assessment of the likelihood of the applicant's attenance if offered a seat. But it did seem like they wanted to know what made Rush/Chicago special in my view. So it may be good to have a few answers to those kinds of questions if you are OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
i will never let this thread hit page 2. big bizzump.

i will never let this thread hit page 2. big bizzump.

So wait a minute, are you trying to tell me that throughout med school, this thread will not hit page 2? If you can do that man, that would be something.

So wait a minute, are you trying to tell me that throughout med school, this thread will not hit page 2? If you can do that man, that would be something.

by never, i meant not only throughout med school, but through my entire natural life. i know, this is quite a claim. but you'd be surprised by my determination.

you getting pumped yet about your interview, dr. d?

by never, i meant not only throughout med school, but through my entire natural life. i know, this is quite a claim. but you'd be surprised by my determination.

you getting pumped yet about your interview, dr. d?

Yes and no. I really think I can and will do well at it, but I'm afraid that the class is nearly full, which will make my chances less. That and looking back, some things on my secondary I don't do anymore, or didn't happen (i.e. the EMT class I claimed I would be taking now was full at registration, etc.) Nothing major in my eyes, but who knows. Although I will ask for a candle light vigil on this forum March 21, if you needed an excuse to bump this thread back up to page #1 :)

Count me in as one of the lucky ones that got off the waitlist last Monday. Thank God I get to stay in my favorite city in the world!

Anyone know about when they're planning on sending out the financial aid offers? Just curious to know how much debt I'll be in the next few decades of my life.

I just quit my job so my total savings entering med school will be $0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody who interviewed in early February hear back yet?

I interviewed on 2/7 and I'm still anxiously waiting by the mailbox........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Congrats on getting off of the wait list!

For financial aid, do we need to include parents? (is this just for "free money" (aid) or for loans?

ok -- after a bunch of phone calls, they finally picked up and told me that a decision was made and mailed out yesterday. Here we go...........:eek:

GOODLUCK!!!(and remember that the size of the envelope doesn't matter)

Ohhhhhhhh geeeez. My late March interview is looking more and more like a waitlist spot. I had the option of going today too! I might be kicking myself for this one yet...

vanilla-great post in the "i want an invite from RUSH" thread--you reminded me of even more awesome things about rush. one question concerning this:
9. there is a school sponsored research program which pays students to participate in a lab the summer after the M1 year (pays for a few weeks) in order to promote lab involvement (students can then continue in the lab)

where'd you find out about it and what's it all about?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the amount time Rush students spend in the classroom? Or why specifically people describe Rush students as some of the happiest med students in the country? I know on my interview day I felt super comfortable and I definitely got a family feel. I'm trying to make a decision and I was hoping for any advice...

Thanks in advance!

I know that they recently decreased the amount of time spent in class...but I am pretty sure that Rush is still near the top of the "long in-class hours list"...But, I would rather sit and be taught than sit frustrated and alone in front of a book...

For other reasons to attend rush...check out my post on the "I want an invite from Rush" forum

Anybody know approximately what percentage of interveiwees are actually offered acceptances?

Also, I called Jill Porter and didn't get a call back -- I found out that they made a decision and was trying to get word since I'm out of town for the week.......I hope the no-call isn't a bad sign.....

I think that Jill is too busy to expect a quick reply by phone...it took me a few days by e-mail ...

I think they interview ~350-400 and accept almost twice their class size (128x2=256) so...about 2/3 accepted/interviewed

GOODLUCK!:D

Ugh...I have my last undergrad final on Monday....in PChem...I don't want to study PChem!!!

so... How old is everyone? Anyone non-traditional? Married? Kids? Career change? It seems like most people on this thread are still in school or only a year or two out of school.

so... How old is everyone? Anyone non-traditional? Married? Kids? Career change? It seems like most people on this thread are still in school or only a year or two out of school.

I am 26, married, OOS (California), non-trad (graduated 2001, worked for three years, went back to do pre-med). I was curious, too. I think I was the oldest person at all of my interviews.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for moving/finding housing? I am coming from Los Angeles, and I want it to be as cheap and easy as possible (I know cheap and easy don't go together, but...). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am definitely looking forward to this fall and to meeting everyone else. Congratulations (or good luck) to you all.

I'm not sure and haven't researched much, but on campus doubles might be the best deal.

I am looking for a place near campus, or at least off of the blue or pink line...
I think that some students live in Aurora (houses are less expensive, about 45 min commute)...but I am not really sure...try realtor.com for options...they have the houses mapped

Goodluck!

I am done with school...no more P chem!!!
I am 22, a 5th year grad

i'm disappointed... i go out of town for 1.5 days and come back to find this thread on pg 2... time to drink my sorrows away.

I just got my acceptance letter from Rush yesterday and I am so excited!!!! I loved it there so much! I was sooo worried bc I am an August MCATer and only applied to four schools. I am currenly waiting on a decision by one more school (Prtizker) that may sway me, but I don't know. Rush had such a great vibe! I've decided not to think about it until I have to. :)

I'm 24 and have been out of school working in completely different industry for the past 3 years. I have lived in Chicago my whole life so I can give input for anyone's housing qq's. I live in Bucktown now and it is a great area plus it's only a ten minute drive down Ashland Ave to Rush! Or you can take the Blue line, but that would take a little longer. I would definately recommend it for anyone looking to live off campus. It's a very ecclectic area with lots of stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

I just got my acceptance letter from Rush yesterday and I am so excited!!!! I loved it there so much! I was sooo worried bc I am an August MCATer and only applied to four schools. I am currenly waiting on a decision by one more school (Prtizker) that may sway me, but I don't know. Rush had such a great vibe! I've decided not to think about it until I have to. :)

I'm 24 and have been out of school working in completely different industry for the past 3 years. I have lived in Chicago my whole life so I can give input for anyone's housing qq's. I live in Bucktown now and it is a great area plus it's only a ten minute drive down Ashland Ave to Rush! Or you can take the Blue line, but that would take a little longer. I would definately recommend it for anyone looking to live off campus. It's a very ecclectic area with lots of stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

I agree with you on the Bucktown/Wicker area. The Darkroom and Debonair are cool. The UKV is a better option if you want to take the blue line. I think the question some of us wish to know is when did you interview? My fingers are still crossed.

instate from south chicago(hyde park). I cant believe RUSH classes begin in September. What would I do with 5 months of same old, same old work?

Has anyone who interviewed in February recieved a decision yet?

I agree with you on the Bucktown/Wicker area. The Darkroom and Debonair are cool. The UKV is a better option if you want to take the blue line. I think the question some of us wish to know is when did you interview? My fingers are still crossed.

UKV is nice too. That's where I tried to find a place first. We are all one big happy area over here on the NW side.

I interviewed on Valentine's Day :love:

So it's been about 4 weeks. . .but they said anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on when your interviewers get their stuff together for the committee. Good luck!

After weeks of anxiety and frequent trips to the mailbox...it came, YEAH!!!
I am still waiting to hear back from several schools, but I canceled the interviews at schools that don't compare to Rush...

Who is trying to make the decision between Rush and another school? What do you see as the drawbacks to Rush (beside the money:p )?

no gym. other than that nothing.

What is UKV? (zip code?)

sorry...by ukv, i meant the ukranian village. It's south of wicker park...think chicago/division blue line stops....and like someone already said, those neighborhoods all have the same feel.

Finally -- After about 5-6 weeks, and a couple of unreturned phone calls, Jill Porter called me last week to tell me that im in. so that is that, im going to pull all of my other applications and i am done.
see you guys next year

Also -- anyone here live in Wicker Park? I'm debating between bucktown, and wicker park, which from my limited knowledge of chicago i believe are the two closest neighborhoods...? Any other neighborhoods close by that I should consider.

A little about me -- like most med students im obviously serious about academics, but at the same time im looking for an area that has an active nightlife and with things to take my mind off of school.

Any ideas would be helpful
Thanks

For those Mar. 21 interviewees that know my true alias, please keep it a secret. :laugh:

Just kidding, hope everyone did well, and best of luck as we wait!

Also -- anyone here live in Wicker Park? I'm debating between bucktown, and wicker park, which from my limited knowledge of chicago i believe are the two closest neighborhoods...? Any other neighborhoods close by that I should consider.

A little about me -- like most med students im obviously serious about academics, but at the same time im looking for an area that has an active nightlife and with things to take my mind off of school.

Any ideas would be helpful
Thanks

Literally across the street from me is considered wicker park and my side of the street is bucktown. Needless to say, they are pretty interchangeble. The area of both generally spans from Fullerton to the North, Ashland to the east, Western to the west, and Division to the south. The Northern end is Bucktown and the Southern end is WP. Both are great areas so go for wherever you can find the best apt.