Resident transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbird03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just matched into a 234 EM program and will be doing a prelim year. I was wondering if resident transfer was possible between programs. Has anybody here heard of that happening? How difficult is it?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just matched into a 234 EM program and will be doing a prelim year. I was wondering if resident transfer was possible between programs. Has anybody here heard of that happening? How difficult is it?

thanx

Yes its probably been done before, difficult because there has to be a spot open, and why do you want to transfer already if you just matched?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

thanx

Don't to it! As someone who's had experience with it, I can tell you the process sucks. If you're at a decent, stable program, where you get good training, why would you transfer?

There are very few spots open in the country, and if you apply you risk causing trouble at the residency you're at. In order for other programs to even consider you, you need a letter of support from your program director. Unless you're reason is very compelling, you're unlikely to get a glowing letter from your PD.

Family reasons. My mother is in poor health and I'd like to be around in case anything happens. I realize that it will be poor form to transfer and it is unlikely that I will able to transfer. However, what if I find an open PGY 2 spot? (I think there was one last year at loma linda) Would I still need a letter from the PD even if I never work in the program?

Family reasons. My mother is in poor health and I'd like to be around in case anything happens. I realize that it will be poor form to transfer and it is unlikely that I will able to transfer. However, what if I find an open PGY 2 spot? (I think there was one last year at loma linda) Would I still need a letter from the PD even if I never work in the program?

Going from a 2,3,4 program to a 1-3 program...mmmm i don't know how that would work out..because the training formats are so different...the prelim/transitional year i would think would have to be pretty comparable to the intern year at the 1-3 program...anyway how far are you from california which would make things that hard to see your mother? are we talking NY -> CA? Chicago -> LA?

If you did your transitional year at a 2-4 and then transferred, you'd like start as a PGY-1 at a 1-3 program. It's very difficult to transfer between different program formats and have your rotations all get credit.

You need a PD letter for most programs. If your PD is malignant and refuses to write letter, it's still possible to transfer if you explain the circumstances to the receiving program.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a year to think about it... I certainly am ecstatic about matching in the first place.