How many hospitals to call for transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wareagle726

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In light of the current "every hospital from new york to LA is on diversion" situation. How many places are you calling during a shift before saying eff it. Had a few shifts at smaller shop calling 10-15 places and spending 2+ hours on 1 patient with a WR of 20-30 people in a single coverage shop. Wasn't trained for this.

Members don't see this ad.

At some point you have to give up.

Reactions: 1 user
I work at fairly busy inner city hospital (90K annual visits, not uncommon for 50-60 in the waiting room), but no cath lab, neurosurgery, psych, peds etc or significant subspecialty back up, so transfer patients out pretty frequently. We have a specific "transfer center" that I notify and tell them this patient needs X service ASAP. They make the phone calls to the other hospitals, and call me back once it's time for a doc to doc sign out. Sure, it can sometimes be 24-48 hours before the bed becomes available and I'm signing the same patient out several days later. But at least I'm not the one making the calls and I can go and see other patients.

When you say you weren't trained for this, I think you likely mean that as a physician, your time is not best spent on the phone trying to get hospitals to accept your patient. I would argue you should talk to your admin folks and tell them that there should be someone else making those calls i.e. a secretary, RN etc...

If they don't listen to your pleas, give it a few months, someone will code in the waiting room, your ED will be on the news, and maybe things will start to magically fix themselves? Or not.

Also, we consult our hospitalist group on patients that are boarding waiting for a bed at outside facilities for some things. I could care less about sliding scale insulin dosing and DVT prophylaxis, but they leave recommendations and at least the patients do get slightly better care while waiting for a bed at the outside facility. I'm not trained in inpatient medicine, but usually its not the patients fault that there's no bed and I like the idea of having help to manage their inpatient needs. I've had some patients that were boarding so long that cards/renal gave recommendations, we diuresed the patient back to their dry weight, made some med adjustments, and discharged them after a few days of boarding in the ED. It's definitely not ideal and how things should be done, but sometimes its better than nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The horror

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Get the hospitalists to admit and start care, and admin can round up a secretary or RN to make 87 phone calls. You have patients to see.

You're not paid $200+/hr to make 11ty phone calls and listen to hold music all day...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
In light of the current "every hospital from new york to LA is on diversion" situation. How many places are you calling during a shift before saying eff it. Had a few shifts at smaller shop calling 10-15 places and spending 2+ hours on 1 patient with a WR of 20-30 people in a single coverage shop. Wasn't trained for this.

briefly what was the transfer for?

My state has essentially three health systems for tertiary care. Each one has a transfer center. It's efficient and well-organized. I only need to call three systems, although occasionally I have to talk to a couple of specialties. It's pretty simple. I don't know why other states don't do this.

Get your hospital to sign up for a service like AllAccess where it’s a single call and they call back when they have acceptance and a bed available. It’s not free but it works ok. Not as nuanced as an experienced doctor or nurse calling known colleagues at nearby facilities and getting special treatment etc but it does cut time on the phone. All Access Transfer Center